Official KCUMB-COM Class of 2009!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone. Got my acceptance letter to KCUMB last week and am SERIOUSLY considering taking the plunge and dropping my $1K. I was really impressed with the school but my only frame of reference was WVSOM (great school...but I'm more of a city guy). I've got interviews coming up to VCOM and DMU. Did any of you interview at those schools? If so, can you give opinions/comparisons vs. KCUMB? Thanks!

P.S.: Any other potential USAF HPSP out there?

Members don't see this ad.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

I actually turned down the AF HPSP. It is a fantastic financial program, but my wife can't stand me being gone for more than a few days. Good luck, KCUMB is a great school, drop the $1K.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Hey everyone. Got my acceptance letter to KCUMB last week and am SERIOUSLY considering taking the plunge and dropping my $1K. I was really impressed with the school but my only frame of reference was WVSOM (great school...but I'm more of a city guy). I've got interviews coming up to VCOM and DMU. Did any of you interview at those schools? If so, can you give opinions/comparisons vs. KCUMB? Thanks!

I'm in the middle of applying for it now, but my reserve unit is taking their time with the paperwork so I'm at a standstill. I can't even go for the physical yet. Hopefully everything will come together soon.....

Members don't see this ad :)
BOHICA-FIGMO said:

Congrats on your acceptances, and good luck in making the hard decision on which medical school to go to :) . I just dropped off my $1K today at KCUMB while I was checking out apartments and the city once again. Best of luck in the future :luck:

Slugbutton said:
I'm in the middle of applying for it now, but my reserve unit is taking their time with the paperwork so I'm at a standstill. I can't even go for the physical yet. Hopefully everything will come together soon.....

hey slug, do u kno off hand since ur already in the military, if they start up a draft, will they pull us outof medical school or let us finish?

cooldreams said:
hey slug, do u kno off hand since ur already in the military, if they start up a draft, will they pull us outof medical school or let us finish?
Hey cooldreams. I am currently active duty officer in the Air Force. If, in the EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY, UNLIKELY event (we're talking Howard Stern getting elected president unlikely) that the military does decide to do a medical draft, you would have zero chance of being called up until you finish med school and at least one year of internship. Most likely to be called up first would be critical wartime specialties like general surg, maxilo-facial surg, Emergency med, etc.

Hope that helps!

cooldreams said:
hey slug, do u kno off hand since ur already in the military, if they start up a draft, will they pull us out of medical school or let us finish?
Looks like he's got that one covered. :p

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Hey cooldreams. I am currently active duty officer in the Air Force. If, in the EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY, UNLIKELY event (we're talking Howard Stern getting elected president unlikely) that the military does decide to do a medical draft, you would have zero chance of being called up until you finish med school and at least one year of internship. Most likely to be called up first would be critical wartime specialties like general surg, maxilo-facial surg, Emergency med, etc.

Hope that helps!

hey thanks for replying.

i know that they would wait for us to finish in a MEDICAL draft, because we were not doctors yet. but i am refering to a general draft, since we are not docs yet will they look at us just like anyone else and pull us out of medical school and send us to the front lines?

i think the answer to my question is a "yes unless you are in the last semester of your 4th year of medical school" because i have read that they wont let you use college as an "out" unless you are in the last semester of the program.

i guess based on the above i had two planning questions:

1) if you are signed up to start in the military upon completetion of medical school, would they still draft you out of medical school?

2) if medical school carried any special weight with it that would allow you to finish it before being drafted, unlike an undergraduate program, because of the rarity and high need for more doctors in the military.

i have tried to ask these questions before but have not really gotten them answered. i am hoping on the rare chance that there is a draft, that i would be able to voluntarily sign up for it, and thereby be allowed to finish before i was actually drafted.

im not particularly worried about going in the military, to me it is just another path in life, both of my parents were in the marine corps and still work for them as civilians, but i really really want to just finish medical school first. so, just wondering....

thanks for the help guys....

cooldreams said:
hey thanks for replying.

i know that they would wait for us to finish in a MEDICAL draft, because we were not doctors yet. but i am refering to a general draft, since we are not docs yet will they look at us just like anyone else and pull us out of medical school and send us to the front lines?

i think the answer to my question is a "yes unless you are in the last semester of your 4th year of medical school" because i have read that they wont let you use college as an "out" unless you are in the last semester of the program.

1) if you are signed up to start in the military upon completetion of medical school, would they still draft you out of medical school?

2) if medical school carried any special weight with it that would allow you to finish it before being drafted, unlike an undergraduate program, because of the rarity and high need for more doctors in the military.

i have tried to ask these questions before but have not really gotten them answered. i am hoping on the rare chance that there is a draft, that i would be able to voluntarily sign up for it, and thereby be allowed to finish before i was actually drafted.

im not particularly worried about going in the military, to me it is just another path in life, both of my parents were in the marine corps and still work for them as civilians, but i really really want to just finish medical school first. so, just wondering....

I know that if you are on their scholarship, they will not pull you from school. From residency, maybe, but not out of school. It's a good question. I think I remember the doc I shadowed speaking about this cause he was going through school at KCOM at the time of the draft and I think he was allowed to finish. I'll try to get better info for ya. Right now it is off to one of my last finals in my undergrad career!! :D

cooldreams said:
hey thanks for replying.

A general draft is so extremely unlikely (far, far, far, more unlikely than a medical draft) that I doubt it will ever happen again in our lifetime. As an officer, I would not want to deal with someone who didn't want to be there. An all volunteer force of 1.4 million is much better than a draft force of 5 million.

Anyway, if you are already in medical school, I doubt you would be drafted in a general draft. You would be far more valuable to the military as a doctor. Considering that it takes 9+ months just to make an infantry soldier from scratch (more for other specialties, up to 2 years to train a fighter pilot) , I don't think the military would waste your existing medical training for something like that. So, your most likely scenario is number 2: they would want you to complete medical school before joining the military as a Doc. Again, I want to emphasize that any draft scenario is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Hope that helps even more!

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
A general draft is so extremely unlikely (far, far, far, more unlikely than a medical draft) that I doubt it will ever happen again in our lifetime. As an officer, I would not want to deal with someone who didn't want to be there. An all volunteer force of 1.4 million is much better than a draft force of 5 million.

Anyway, if you are already in medical school, I doubt you would be drafted in a general draft. You would be far more valuable to the military as a doctor. Considering that it takes 9+ months just to make an infantry soldier from scratch (more for other specialties, up to 2 years to train a fighter pilot) , I don't think the military would waste your existing medical training for something like that. So, your most likely scenario is number 2: they would want you to complete medical school before joining the military as a Doc. Again, I want to emphasize that any draft scenario is EXTREMELY unlikely.

Hope that helps even more!

i know... this is what everyone keeps telling me :p.... just like to plan ahead though... know what my options will be... oh well... i think i know what i will do either way... so, thanks for the help..

Just paid my deposit, nothing like last minute. Everyone is so nice there, I love it!

iatrosB said:
Just paid my deposit, nothing like last minute. Everyone is so nice there, I love it!

Congratulations ;) . I just paid mine too, so I guess I'll see you next fall :D .

Members don't see this ad :)
Ginz20 said:
I got my letter of acceptance in the mail on Saturday! Looks like I might be KC bound.

Congratulations on your acceptance. Since you said you 'might be KC bound', just curious to see what other schools you were looking at :) . Congrats again and hopefully we'll see you next fall at KCUMB ;) .

hey, great to see so many ppl posting on here! everyone as anxious to start as i am?? :D

Cooldreams, I'm DYING to get started at KCUMB. I am working in Cali at an awesome biotech company but working here makes me realize why I want to be a doctor... working here isnt AT ALL fulfilling. its just a job. anyways, i'm counting the days til I start to feel like I'm doing some fruitful.

:)

AidaDO said:
Cooldreams, I'm DYING to get started at KCUMB. I am working in Cali at an awesome biotech company but working here makes me realize why I want to be a doctor... working here isnt AT ALL fulfilling. its just a job. anyways, i'm counting the days til I start to feel like I'm doing some fruitful.

:)

Cali to KC! And you're excited about this? You have been to Missouri right? I have not been spoiled by sunny Cali so I am extremely excited to start school! Excited, nervous, anxious, confident, scared, all in one! Have any of you guys thought about a specialty? FP or peds for me. EM for cooldreams.

iatrosB said:
Cali to KC! And you're excited about this? You have been to Missouri right? I have not been spoiled by sunny Cali so I am extremely excited to start school! Excited, nervous, anxious, confident, scared, all in one! Have any of you guys thought about a specialty? FP or peds for me. EM for cooldreams.

I'm excited too but also a little nervous :oops: . Right now, I am kind of interested in oncology and Rads, but lots of people change their minds once they begin medical school and start to explore more options. :D Does anyone have any clue what area they are going to live in? I was just curious. ;)

susie09 said:
Does anyone have any clue what area they are going to live in? I was just curious.

I am going to live in Platte City. Its about 15-25 minutes North of campus depending on traffic.

iatrosB said:
I am going to live in Platte City. Its about 15-25 minutes North of campus depending on traffic.

I hadn't thought about looking there. I was up there last weekend so that I could look around, and I found a couple of nice apartments off of Parvin Road. I think I may end up at Bennington Ridge. They looked really nice, and I thought that the management was very helpful :) . I think it is only a 10 minute drive from the school so that isn't too far ;) .

susie09 said:
I hadn't thought about looking there. I was up there last weekend so that I could look around, and I found a couple of nice apartments off of Parvin Road. I think I may end up at Bennington Ridge. They looked really nice, and I thought that the management was very helpful :) . I think it is only a 10 minute drive from the school so that isn't too far ;) .

No, 10 minutes is not bad at all. The thing to remember about KC is that 5 miles can become a 15 minute drive because of ridiculous traffic. Parvin Road is nice, cooldreams would be a better consultant for KC living, he has lived there for awhile. I can help you north of there as I have lived north of KC my entire life.

ive lived here most of my life and i hate driving :p

im planning on living at CT - this means no driving yay... you guys really should think about some place closer unless you have some really solid reasons, it will just make life a ton easier on you if you have no transit time to worry about.

additionally, it was rumored that the broadway (i think that is the right one) bridge was going to have some major construction this past year and would have made the commut from the north take 3 times as long. this hasnt really happend yet, but im still hearing talk about it.

i have driven around in kansas, iowa, nebraska, ill, oh, id.... to me, missouri seems to have some extraordinarily aggressive drivers, hence my fondness for not driving. some ppl like it though. it is kind of a game, the state law here says that if you are basically exempt from a speeding ticket if you were speeding under five miles or 10% (which ever is less)of the posted speed limit. if you stay around that you wont get a ticket, additionally it is pretty easy to get out of them with a lawyer, so a lot of ppl like to speed around here, and dont think that it slows down much in the snow or rain... this is just my opinion though... downtown is the main destination for ppl in the city to goto every morning. i have tried to come from like 5 different routes and highways and they are all hurting at rush hour time. if only there were no other ppl slowing you down then you would cut your driving times in half.

if you really dont wanna live that close, i would suggest living outside of the city limits of kansas city if you can because you would there by avoid the numerous city taxes.

dont freak out too much about what i say, like i said this really may not bother you at all, but to me it is a pain. i like to plan my day out and get every minute i can, but living about 18 miles from the school, i would have to allot an hour for commute everyday (this is back and forth total time) so that sucks to me.

other things ive heard is that if you are not living close by like CT then you either typically miss out on a lot of extracurrics because they start up a number of hours after the last class of the day, or you spend a LOTof time at the school. this also may or may not be a good thing depending on how you work it.

gl everyone... you made it!!!!

Hey everyone! Just mailed my $1K so looks like I'll be joining you next year :). The only reasons I wouldn't would be: 1. I get accepted to USUHS (since I'm in the military, this is my #1) 2. Someone else blows me away enough to sacrifice a thousand bucks. I've got interviews coming up at VCOM, DMU, AZCOM, USUHS, and ETSU (MD school). Anyone interview at any of these? If so, what was your impression compared to KCUMB? I'll find out soon enough, but I'm just trying to get a sneak preview. Thanks!

cooldreams said:
other things ive heard is that if you are not living close by like CT then you either typically miss out on a lot of extracurrics because they start up a number of hours after the last class of the day, or you spend a LOTof time at the school. this also may or may not be a good thing depending on how you work it.

gl everyone... you made it!!!!

CT is also good when anatomy rolls around. Anytime you have free time you can just walk across the street to the anatomy lab. Same goes for path slides. Oh and when you have a big block of free time between classes you can just walk back home.

Have any of you heard what a typical day will be like for us in regards to class time? Will we start at 7, 8,9 end at 3,4,5? Anyone know yet?

iatrosB said:
Have any of you heard what a typical day will be like for us in regards to class time? Will we start at 7, 8,9 end at 3,4,5? Anyone know yet?

You'll start at 8 and have classes till 12 most days. Thats followed by labs in the afternoon. All labs are usually only an hour long except for opp and anatomy.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Hey everyone! Just mailed my $1K so looks like I'll be joining you next year :). The only reasons I wouldn't would be: 1. I get accepted to USUHS (since I'm in the military, this is my #1) 2. Someone else blows me away enough to sacrifice a thousand bucks. I've got interviews coming up at VCOM, DMU, AZCOM, USUHS, and ETSU (MD school). Anyone interview at any of these? If so, what was your impression compared to KCUMB? I'll find out soon enough, but I'm just trying to get a sneak preview. Thanks!
I interviewed at VCOM and I thought the school itself was beautiful, but it was all in one building. Everything was new and the staff was great. They have an affiliation with VT so students go use their gym and go to their football games and stuff. The town is SUPER SMALL. I liked KCUMB because of the city and there was more of their own campus. There are three separate interviews lasting half and hour each. I interviewed at Portland, OR for DMU and never actually made a campus visit. The people were great though and the new building is going to be nice. One interview with two people lasting half an hour. I just got back from USUHS yesterday night. The school is beautiful and big. Everyone is friendly and the base is well kept (prob cause the president shows his face every now and then! :) ) Bethesda is beautiful also but very expensive. The traffic is AWFUL and everyone lives off base. People seemed happy with their choice though. There are presentations about the school all morning that get kind of long if you've already done your research. The interviews are in the afternoon. You get two separate interviews lasting a half hour each. They were not stressful at all.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:

I was accepted to AZCOM and KCUMB and chose KCUMB (UHS). AZCOM was nice in general but I didn't like their curriculum as well as KCUMB's systems based approach and I also did not like their rotations set up as well. They have a unique way of doing rotations that you will be explained when you get there. Just a personal opinion though. AZ is pretty cool though. KC weather not so good.

danwsu said:
You'll start at 8 and have classes till 12 most days. Thats followed by labs in the afternoon. All labs are usually only an hour long except for opp and anatomy.

dont you sometimes have tests a little earlier??

danwsu said:
CT is also good when anatomy rolls around. Anytime you have free time you can just walk across the street to the anatomy lab. Same goes for path slides. Oh and when you have a big block of free time between classes you can just walk back home.

yea i heard about that, how late do ppl stay/go back to go over that stuff??

cooldreams said:
dont you sometimes have tests a little earlier??

Most of your "quizes" will be at 7 AM. Finals are usually in the afternoon.

yea i heard about that, how late do ppl stay/go back to go over that stuff??

Can't speak for everyone but theres been times in the last semester that I would go to the lab at 9 or 10 at night.

danwsu said:

Awesome, thanks for the info! :thumbup: How long are the opp and anatomy labs and how often do they meet in your first year?

OPP lab is three hours and meets weekly. Anatomy is 4 hours (I think) and is once a week although in some sections you will not have it every week and in other sections you will not have anatomy lab at all.

Stopped by to see what's new. Congrats to all of the new KCUMBers and good luck to everyone else. Everyone have a Merry Christmas. About seven months to class starts. It is sneaking up.

Hello everyone! I am in for 2009. It feels great! My other interviews will be so different. I have to make up my mind about KCUMB by mid-Jan. - Give me the top 5 about KCUMB with explanations... I need help!!!! thanks -

hey does anyone have a link to a schedule, or can tell me what the schedule is like? Start? Out by?

Doc 2b said:
hey does anyone have a link to a schedule, or can tell me what the schedule is like? Start? Out by?

please see post #129 in this thread... :rolleyes:

Thanks Cooldreams, I tried a search but didn't find it, I guess I should have just scrolled thru. ;)

Doc 2b said:
Thanks Cooldreams, I tried a search but didn't find it, I guess I should have just scrolled thru. ;)

not a problem.

are you having troubles deciding now on what school? ive never seen nsu, what does it have going for it in your eyes??

cooldreams said:
not a problem.

are you having troubles deciding now on what school? ive never seen nsu, what does it have going for it in your eyes??

Come on Doc 2b, that is an easy decision. JOIN US!! You know you want to :thumbup:

cooldreams said:
not a problem.

A couple of things, weather excluded. 5 wks for board prep after 2nd year. Multi-health professions, dental, pharmacy, PA, and optometry = more social opportunities when time permits. On the flip side I can find as many things that I like about KCUMB. :scared:

Doc 2 B,

if you're having trouble deciding between the two places, listen to your instincts. Go where you feel most comfortable because that is where you will learn best. For me it was KCUMB. The environment was the biggest plus, supportive and friendly classmates really made medical school more tolerable. Kansas City is a great town too. Do look into what happens third and fourth year for rotations-that's important. Some people like the option of going elsewhere for your third year rotations, others might not. It's amazing to see the positive changes on campus over the last 4 years. Make sure the other school is also headed in the right direction also. Good luck all.

KCUMB 2005

just wanted to say good luck! I am a 3rd year from KCUMB - and let me say that I have been very impressed with how well they have prepared me for rotations! :)

lirpa28 said:
just wanted to say good luck! I am a 3rd year from KCUMB - and let me say that I have been very impressed with how well they have prepared me for rotations! :)

hey thanks for the input. i was wondering if you could also fill us in on how much time you have to study for the COMLEX and USMLE ?? does KCUMB give you extra time??

The Paseo bridge is the bridge that is going to be shut down for about a year (that was the last estimate they had). I would say that living north of the river is risky, a lot of traffic comes across that bridge every day and once it gets shut down traffic on the other two bridges that are close will be crazy. My recommendation would be to live at CT, downtown, Westport, Plaza, or on the Kansas side. I personally live downtown at SoHo lofts and on a bad day it takes me 5 minutes to get to school.

Dre_rae
KCUMB 2008

How about this lovely weather!! Gotta love KC!

couple of questions for everyone..

1) the power at the place i work at goes off a lot, but it is in a similar neighborhood as kcumb and ct apartments... does anyone know how often if ever the power goes out in those places?? are they on generator???

2) has anyone gotten any new paperwork from kcumb yet?? just wondering...

have a great week.

cooldreams said:
couple of questions for everyone..

1) the power at the place i work at goes off a lot, but it is in a similar neighborhood as kcumb and ct apartments... does anyone know how often if ever the power goes out in those places?? are they on generator???

2) has anyone gotten any new paperwork from kcumb yet?? just wondering...

have a great week.

1. My power goes out all the time, but I live in Platte City so that is not relavant to your question :)

2. I received some physical and immunization forms from KCUMB but that's it.

3. Did you create that website yourself or is it someone else's from KCUMB (the one in your sig).

i did the website. i did everything you see there in about 3 hours last night! so its not that great and is missing a ton of stuff... mostly it was just to get it up and running off my comp and see what sort of firewall/router hassles i would have to get passed...

if you have any suggestions let me know... i plan to break up the main page into a directory sorta, with half going to medicine/kcumb and the other about religion because i am also very interested in that, but i realize not everyone is...