*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I already have a letter of recommendation from my university's pre-health advisory committee. Should I also seek additional letters of recommendation from other professors, or should the PAC letter cover it?
It depends on what went into the committee letter. Some committee's have students submit professor recommendations prior to writing the committee letter and then these are all compiled into a committee "packet." If you have only a letter from the committee, I believe you will need additional letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for advice to see if my letters meet the requirementsfor most schools. No committee letter at my school.
1. Science 1-Organic Prof
2. Science 2- Prof who taught me in a science basedpharmacology course and pharmacy addiction/neuro course (going to list both asBCPM)
3. Non-science-Allied Med class-Non science class about thehistory and practice of medicine
4. Physician Letter

I received an A in all those classes. My alternatives wouldbe an entomology prof who I got a B+ in his class or an Astronomy prof who Itook two classes with and got an A in both.

What do you guys think?

Sounds fine to me, if not better having two signatures and as long as the letter is strong and positive.

The LOR just needs to have Letterhead + Signature to make sure you did not write it.

Ok thx.

2 more questions:

Is a class considered a "science" LOR even tough the professor is listed under the "Social Science" school. ie. a class about evolutionary mechanics. even tough 70% class was science (bio evolution) is it considered a "science". I just recall reading that if the class was 50% or more science it is considered under BCPM.

Second question prestige of the person who wrote the LOR. i can possibly secure a LOR from an individual who did Law School at Yale. Does it matter at all the fact that the person writing the LOR is well accomplished?

Members don't see this ad :)
So for whoever can offer a helpful word of advice, please do.
My LORs are as follows:

I met with the professor that I researched with for over a year and was a teaching assistant for and he wasn't absolutely delighted to write the LOR but said that he would if I needed it. He said that although I had a lot of positives, I also had a few negatives. He then followed up with the fact that he didn't write negatives in his letters so he would just write the positives. He made it clear though that he wouldn't be raving about my performance. I am scared out of my mind. Part of me wants to say screw it and just say that I don't want the LOR anymore. But the other part of me says that I'm going to be asked about it during interviews or won't get interviews because I don't have a LOR from him. What do you guys think?

My second dilemma is that I don't have a letter from a second science professor that knows me very well. Yes I can probably get one from a professor in my last quarter but since I attend a UC, my quarter doesn't end till mid-June, which means that I would need to give them until the middle of July to write the letter. I'm horrified! I am now thinking that my LORs or lack thereof will bring down my application. Any thoughts??

Here are the ones that I do have for sure:

1) Bio professor who knows me well. (science)
- A+ in 1 course & A- in the other
- will write very good things about me
2) History professor who knows me very well (non-sci)
- A in her course
- will write great things
3) Internship boss
- worked with him for 2 years
- I am writing the letter and he is signing off on it

Some schools require/recommend that you acquire a LOR from a physician, but does it matter if it comes from a DO if you are applying to MD schools? Would that be looked down upon, or would it not really matter that the LOR is from a DO instead of an MD?

OK, so I have tried to do some searching on this.

Basically, I understand that I can send my LORs to the pre-med committee at my school.

Currently, I am still waiting on a few. In the meantime, I have a committee interview.

My Qeustion is then, after the committee has received my letters of Rec and written the committee letter, does the committee send the committee letter + all my LORs as one submission to interfolio? (For which I then mark "committee letter" on AMCAS and only expects one delivery from Interfolio).

Or, do I just add another slot request in interfolio, and send my 4 LORs + the LOR from the committee [to AMCAS/or each of my schools{a question w/in a question}]?
We can't answer this question. Every premed committee is different. Some committees just use the LORs from professors to craft their letter and don't include the full text of the LORs when they send it on to VirtualEvals/Interfolio/AMCAS. Some create a packet of everything (including all LORs). You'll need to find out how it works at your school

Some schools require/recommend that you acquire a LOR from a physician, but does it matter if it comes from a DO if you are applying to MD schools? Would that be looked down upon, or would it not really matter that the LOR is from a DO instead of an MD?
Merging with LOR thread.

And no, it shouldn't matter (unless he/she focuses on your potential to be a DO specifically in the letter, which obviously should not be done unless the letter is being used for DO schools.)

DO is still a physician. Many DO's are better doctors than MD's. If you ever work with them you'll notice they are no different on the floors. Ad Committee knows that
That's fine as long as he is writing about YOU, and not how you want to be a DO also for AMCAS apps

We can't answer this question. Every premed committee is different. Some committees just use the LORs from professors to craft their letter and don't include the full text of the LORs when they send it on to VirtualEvals/Interfolio/AMCAS. Some create a packet of everything (including all LORs). You'll need to find out how it works at your school

Just had a committee letter interview and the latter is how it works. Thank you for your ongoing answers sector9 :) (Lily!!! :love:)

I'm having problems picking people to write me for recommendation letters. I knew instructors well at my community college, so I could definitely have my old Chemistry teacher write me one.

I never went to officers hours the two years I've been at the university, though, so I never really got to know my professors. I even tried going to office hours once to ask a stupid question to get to know them, but the professor wasn't there! So I gave up talking to the one instructor that had regular office hours.

Here's what I can possibly do:

Get letters from:

-Comm college chemistry professor (Got an A)
-Comm college honor society coordinator (Saw me get a national award, other things.)
-University English professor (I didnt really have any non-science/math classes here. He'd be the only choice since it was a small 30-ish people class. But I got a B and I'm not sure it will be a "strong" letter.)
-University Research Mentor (She saw me almost daily, I worked in her lab last summer for 10 weeks.)

Would the university research mentor work in place of a university professor? That's the main thing I'm worried about. I never got out and did much at the uni because of all the heavy responsibilities I have as a non-trad. (I'm only 23 though.)

And I have a feeling the community college professors could write much stronger letters, since I was in every possible club/event/thing when I was there. Its easier to get to know people when classes have 30-40 students instead of 150.

Most schools require at least 2 letters from science faculty. I had 2 science faculty letters + my research mentor's letter (+ 2 other letters - humanities and leadership) and that covered all the LOR requirements for the schools I applied to. There might be some schools that allow you to substitute a research letter for a science professor letter, but that might limit you for schools you can apply to. A letter from a chem professor you took 3-4 years ago most likely isn't as strong as one you could have gotten from a more recent professor at your university. Only ask for letters if you are sure it will be strongly supportive - a bad or indecisive letter can be detrimental to your application.

Most of my professors don't have set office hours, but it's as simple and easy as emailing them to set up an appointment to come in and talk. And this is with class sizes of well over 150. You have to be proactive, they're not going to come to you!

Merging with the LOR questions thread.

I'm having problems picking people to write me for recommendation letters. I knew instructors well at my community college, so I could definitely have my old Chemistry teacher write me one.

I never went to officers hours the two years I've been at the university, though, so I never really got to know my professors. I even tried going to office hours once to ask a stupid question to get to know them, but the professor wasn't there! So I gave up talking to the one instructor that had regular office hours.

Here's what I can possibly do:

Get letters from:

-Comm college chemistry professor (Got an A)
-Comm college honor society coordinator (Saw me get a national award, other things.)
-University English professor (I didnt really have any non-science/math classes here. He'd be the only choice since it was a small 30-ish people class. But I got a B and I'm not sure it will be a "strong" letter.)
-University Research Mentor (She saw me almost daily, I worked in her lab last summer for 10 weeks.)

Would the university research mentor work in place of a university professor? That's the main thing I'm worried about. I never got out and did much at the uni because of all the heavy responsibilities I have as a non-trad. (I'm only 23 though.)

And I have a feeling the community college professors could write much stronger letters, since I was in every possible club/event/thing when I was there. Its easier to get to know people when classes have 30-40 students instead of 150.

Most schools require at least 2 letters from science faculty. I had 2 science faculty letters + my research mentor's letter (+ 2 other letters - humanities and leadership) and that covered all the LOR requirements for the schools I applied to. There might be some schools that allow you to substitute a research letter for a science professor letter, but that might limit you for schools you can apply to. A letter from a chem professor you took 3-4 years ago most likely isn't as strong as one you could have gotten from a more recent professor at your university. Only ask for letters if you are sure it will be strongly supportive - a bad or indecisive letter can be detrimental to your application.

Most of my professors don't have set office hours, but it's as simple and easy as emailing them to set up an appointment to come in and talk. And this is with class sizes of well over 150. You have to be proactive, they're not going to come to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I requested letters of rec from a few professors a while back (a couple months back), but they haven't submitted them yet (I'm using Interfolio). I'm planning on e-mailing them to check in, but I'm not sure what to write in the e-mail. Any suggestions? I want to come across as polite, and I don't want to sound too impatient... Thanks for your help!

I think the best way is to phrase it as someone else's request, if you can. e.g. "the pre-med department/AMCAS has asked us to remind our LOR writers ______. Once again thank you for blahblahblah"

I have reminded mine so many times! and even one of them never contacted me back ? But she said she will write me a good one - I'm confused. Also I met with one of my letter writers a week ago, she said she was going to expedite the letter, a week pass so far...no letter on file. These LORs is prob the worst part of the app process

Hi all,

I requested letters of rec from a few professors a while back (a couple months back), but they haven't submitted them yet (I'm using Interfolio). I'm planning on e-mailing them to check in, but I'm not sure what to write in the e-mail. Any suggestions? I want to come across as polite, and I don't want to sound too impatient... Thanks for your help!

I think the best way is to phrase it as someone else's request, if you can. e.g. "the pre-med department/AMCAS has asked us to remind our LOR writers ______. Once again thank you for blahblahblah"

I have reminded mine so many times! and even one of them never contacted me back ? But she said she will write me a good one - I'm confused. Also I met with one of my letter writers a week ago, she said she was going to expedite the letter, a week pass so far...no letter on file. These LORs is prob the worst part of the app process

Merging thread.

I only had to remind them once or twice, it went something like:

"Hi Dr. Blah, I just wanted to thank you again for helping me with the medical school application process. The letter of recommendation is highly valued by the admitting committee and I highly appreciate your willingness in that regard.

I just wanted to remind you that my deadline for applying is fast approaching, and if you could submit the letter by [Date] then I would be able to send in my application early.

Thank you again Dr. Blah!

Sincerely,
sc4s2cg"

Something like that. Use the sandwich method: first say something positive, then remind, then end on a positive note.

Edit: Another way I did it was by giving them their thank you gift a little early. That sped things up, guilted them into writing the letter within a week. ;)

My professor has agreed to submit a LOR, but I must write it myself. I've tried Googling LOR samples but I'm not sure what distinguishes a neutral LOR from a strong LOR. Does anyone have any samples that might help me?

So for whoever can offer a helpful word of advice, please do.
My LORs are as follows:

I met with the professor that I researched with for over a year and was a teaching assistant for and he wasn't absolutely delighted to write the LOR but said that he would if I needed it. He said that although I had a lot of positives, I also had a few negatives. He then followed up with the fact that he didn't write negatives in his letters so he would just write the positives. He made it clear though that he wouldn't be raving about my performance. I am scared out of my mind. Part of me wants to say screw it and just say that I don't want the LOR anymore. But the other part of me says that I'm going to be asked about it during interviews or won't get interviews because I don't have a LOR from him. What do you guys think?

My second dilemma is that I don't have a letter from a second science professor that knows me very well. Yes I can probably get one from a professor in my last quarter but since I attend a UC, my quarter doesn't end till mid-June, which means that I would need to give them until the middle of July to write the letter. I'm horrified! I am now thinking that my LORs or lack thereof will bring down my application. Any thoughts??

Here are the ones that I do have for sure:

1) Bio professor who knows me well. (science)
- A+ in 1 course & A- in the other
- will write very good things about me
2) History professor who knows me very well (non-sci)
- A in her course
- will write great things
3) Internship boss
- worked with him for 2 years
- I am writing the letter and he is signing off on it
You're in a tough situation with the research prof. Most schools are going to expect a raving letter from that prof and it's absence would be a potential red flag. Of course, getting the letter and seeing that it isn't raving would be another possible red flag, although at least he said he wouldn't include negatives. I would get it if I were you just because he said he wouldn't include negatives but it's a tough call.

I don't know what to say about the second science letter. I ended up using a letter from a science professor who I took 3 or 4 classes from but didn't know too well. It worked out for me. I guess I'd try to go to office hours and be a stand-out student in one of your upcoming classes if you don't know any past sciences profs to ask

I'm not sure if anyone asked this (tried searching), but if I'm getting a committee letter, how many letters should I try to get?

Should it still be 2 science 1 non-science and on top of that the committee letter (4 total)?
Of course the more the better, but could the committee letter be possibly used to replace one of the letters perhaps?
Thanks guys in advance!

I'm not sure if anyone asked this (tried searching), but if I'm getting a committee letter, how many letters should I try to get?

Should it still be 2 science 1 non-science and on top of that the committee letter (4 total)?
Of course the more the better, but could the committee letter be possibly used to replace one of the letters perhaps?
Thanks guys in advance!
It depends on the committee. Mine requires 3 professor letters and 2 non-professor letters (i.e. MD, DO, etc). I don't believe the committee letter can really replace one of the other letters.

All my letters of recommendation are at the school. All of them, even the 3rd party ones. When should I tell them to send to AMCAS? Do they put my ID# on all the letters, even the 3rd party ones?

All my letters of recommendation are at the school. All of them, even the 3rd party ones. When should I tell them to send to AMCAS? Do they put my ID# on all the letters, even the 3rd party ones?
Your letters will not go to AMCAS, repeat after me they will not go to AMCAS. Your letters will go to the schools that send you secondary applications. Until this point, feel satisfied that your letters are safely in your school's hands but they are of no concern right now.

Sorry, I'm new to this whole thing. They won't go to AMCAS.

Er, if you have some time, could you help me out with the course list? Toxicology, not sure if that's under Biology or Health Sciences.

I'll have to defer that one to someone else, for me Toxicology would fall under Biology and/or Public Health. It all depends on the framework of the course.

How late is too late to ask for a letter of recommendation? Eg. almost getting done with a class and finishing strongly and then asking? Is finally receiving the letter in August or July just as bad as not asking?

How late is too late to ask for a letter of recommendation? Eg. almost getting done with a class and finishing strongly and then asking? Is finally receiving the letter in August or July just as bad as not asking?

Unless you have a committee to write a letter (if they need to see all your LORs) then you shouldn't have a problem. From what I understand, you're just not marked "complete" until LORs + secondaries are in.

The LORs part of the process has a later deadline.

You're in a tough situation with the research prof. Most schools are going to expect a raving letter from that prof and it's absence would be a potential red flag. Of course, getting the letter and seeing that it isn't raving would be another possible red flag, although at least he said he wouldn't include negatives. I would get it if I were you just because he said he wouldn't include negatives but it's a tough call.

I don't know what to say about the second science letter. I ended up using a letter from a science professor who I took 3 or 4 classes from but didn't know too well. It worked out for me. I guess I'd try to go to office hours and be a stand-out student in one of your upcoming classes if you don't know any past sciences profs to ask

Thanks sector9. I'll do what I can but after reading over your response and mulling over it with a counselor, I think that I'm going to pass on the letter. Even if I get asked about the absence of the letter during med school interviews, I'd rather be asked and explain that I didn't know him well rather than have a so-so/bad letter limit what medical schools think about me. I'm just trying really hard to control myself from sending him a scathing email. :thumbdown:

'd rather be asked and explain that I didn't know him well rather than have a so-so/bad letter limit what medical schools think about me. I'm just trying really hard to control myself from sending him a scathing email. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't recommend that explanation :/ But I feel you- the LOR process is really out of your control

Do you all feel that 2 science professors is pretty much mandatory, even if the specific schools don't list it as being a requirement? Most of the schools I'm applying to only require at least 1 science and 1 non-science (only one school requires 2 science 1 non according to their admissions websites). At the moment I only have 1 science and 1 non-science recommendation (and others from research, ECs). The two that I have should be strong, and if I went looking for another it'd probably be weaker than the two that I have. Thoughts?

I wouldn't recommend that explanation :/ But I feel you- the LOR process is really out of your control

What explanation would you recommend? I'm in such a rut I need to come up with a very good reason as to why I don't have this letter...

Hey All,

I have a letter packet that will be sent to AMCAS with about 5 LOR. However, I just found out that some schools mention they don't want more than 4 LOR. How do I go about this situation?

-JWP07

Hey All,

I have a letter packet that will be sent to AMCAS with about 5 LOR. However, I just found out that some schools mention they don't want more than 4 LOR. How do I go about this situation?

-JWP07

You specify which schools get what lors when you add a school to your list.

Hey All,

-JWP07
I could be wrong, but I thought that if schools give you a max LOR it means that theyll only read that number of letters. so if you give them 5, they will only read 4, no guarantee of which 4 those will be. but I would contact them just to be sure

Last edited:
But if you have a letter packet, it is listed as a single item in the AMCAS application, so the packet with all 5 letters can be either assigned as a whole to schools, or not assigned as a whole.

OP, consider splitting the letter packet into two packets, or sending each individually, or alternatively call the admissions offices of the schools that request 4 letters and ask them what they want you to do.

i met with a premed adviser at my school yesterday, after getting some bad advice from her last app cycle i take everything she says with a grain of salt. well anyway she told me that I need to contact all of my letter writers and tell them they have to write my AMCAS id somewhere in their letter? after getting home I skimmed the amcas instruction manual and saw nothing that said this? I use Interfolio, and since they allow you to include an ID number on all deliveries it seems redundant that I would have to ask the writers to actually include my ID number in the letter.. has anyone else heard this? I really would like to avoid contacting every one of my letter writers unless it's necessary.

i met with a premed adviser at my school yesterday, after getting some bad advice from her last app cycle i take everything she says with a grain of salt. well anyway she told me that I need to contact all of my letter writers and tell them they have to write my AMCAS id somewhere in their letter? after getting home I skimmed the amcas instruction manual and saw nothing that said this? I use Interfolio, and since they allow you to include an ID number on all deliveries it seems redundant that I would have to ask the writers to actually include my ID number in the letter.. has anyone else heard this? I really would like to avoid contacting every one of my letter writers unless it's necessary.
You don't have to put the number on each letter. As long as the letters are sent into AMCAS with the cover letter that has your app number, the letters will be properly assigned to your application.

She's incorrect. If you're using Interfolio, you do not have to give your letter writers a cover sheet or your AMCAS ID. In fact, you don't even have to have your AMCAS ID yourself yet - you can generate it later and assign it to the letter yourself.

That might be the case back in the days, but don't think it's necessary nowadays. My PI who has been writing LOR for years asked me for my AMCAS number and labeled it in the letter herself.

Hey All,

-JWP07

I could be wrong, but I thought that if schools give you a max LOR it means that theyll only read that number of letters. so if you give them 5, they will only read 4, no guarantee of which 4 those will be. but I would contact them just to be sure

But if you have a letter packet, it is listed as a single item in the AMCAS application, so the packet with all 5 letters can be either assigned as a whole to schools, or not assigned as a whole.

OP, consider splitting the letter packet into two packets, or sending each individually, or alternatively call the admissions offices of the schools that request 4 letters and ask them what they want you to do.
Merging

You don't have to put the number on each letter. As long as the letters are sent into AMCAS with the cover letter that has your app number, the letters will be properly assigned to your application.

She's incorrect. If you're using Interfolio, you do not have to give your letter writers a cover sheet or your AMCAS ID. In fact, you don't even have to have your AMCAS ID yourself yet - you can generate it later and assign it to the letter yourself.

That might be the case back in the days, but don't think it's necessary nowadays. My PI who has been writing LOR for years asked me for my AMCAS number and labeled it in the letter herself.
Merging

Okay so someone please help me!
I have created a "letter form" and given it to my advisor (he is writing one of the letters). But he keeps saying that AMCAS has not notified him to submit a letter yet. Does AMCAS do this??? I thought I just had to create a letter form and then that person can submit their letter. Is this right??

Thanks,
Hopeful101

I asked one of the doctors at work for a LOR, and he asked me to write one first, saying "no one knows you better than yourself". Then he'd change it up and add more things, and mail it out.

Any tips/advice for writing my own LOR? :confused:

I asked one of the doctors at work for a LOR, and he asked me to write one first, saying "no one knows you better than yourself". Then he'd change it up and add more things, and mail it out.

Any tips/advice for writing my own LOR? :confused:

They're not stupid... they'll know it came from you instead of from your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.