*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i posted this in another thread, but are LoRs through interfoilio supposed to be submitted via online or through snail mail? Is it just preference?

Members don't see this ad.

What all should I include in my packet to help my writers in the process if I do not have my personal statement yet? I'm meeting with the professors this week and want to have something to be able to give them besides just transcripts. I ask because I had a 3.4 ug gpa but have done well in my 6-7 post bacc classes (3.9) and A's in their respective classes. so transcripts won't be my best 'card'.

Also, I've been asked: "what should I write about?" or "what would you like me to mention?" How should I respond to this to my writers? Possibly include a list of highlighting topics to use as prompts?

Hi,

I am a TA for a genetics class for a professor that I did not take, but I had to take the class to be able to TA it. Would he count as a science professor?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this Q has been answered elsewhere, but I didn't feel like running through all 5 pages:

I've been having problems getting in touch with my non-science LOR professor. Unfortunately, he hasn't been responding to my emails or phone calls since early March. I've also been checking his office regularly, about 2 or 3 times a week. It seems as if he never comes in. I've tried contacting the department, to no avail.

At this point, I'm bordering stalker mode. I asked another professor, but he said he didn't really know me well enough to write me a letter.

So I've resorted to my instructor for the required Intro Writing Series at my uni. She was a great teacher, and agreed enthusiastically to write me a letter. Unfortunately, I believe she's in her last year of getting her PhD. Will this be a problem when I apply to schools that require a non-science letter?

tl;dr Does a LOR "professor" have to have a PhD for the letter to be considered?

I know only 2 non-science professors. One of them already said no and the other still has not responded to my email. I had to email him instead of coming to his office because he does not teach this semester at my school but teaches somewhere else. I know where he is currently teaching at as well as his class time. Should I show up there and ask for the letter of rec or simply move on ? The problem is he is the last non-science professor I can ask LOR from, as he and the one that said no are the only ones that remember me and know me closely enough to write a letter.

For Interfolio, do they have to mail the letters by snail mail, or can they just upload it to the site?

For Interfolio, do they have to mail the letters by snail mail, or can they just upload it to the site?

They can upload it. Interfolio will send them a link with instructions to upload to their site at your discretion.

In terms of people to get LORs from, everyone always says Drs uve shadowed, teachers, and those type of people, but is it valuable to get a letter from someone like my employer who I've worked next to for over a year now, or is this considered a non-relevant letter?

In terms of people to get LORs from, everyone always says Drs uve shadowed, teachers, and those type of people, but is it valuable to get a letter from someone like my employer who I've worked next to for over a year now, or is this considered a non-relevant letter?

I prefer to stick with the professors and doctors for science, non-science, and physicians letters. You could definitely use your employer as a character letter, especially if they can speak highly of you. So it wouldn't be a non-relevant letter.

So it is my understanding that a minimum of 3 LOR are high recommended.
Does a pre-medical committee letter count as one letter?
And what is the recommended number of LORs?

I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am shadowing a neurosurgical resident at the moment. I have yet to meet the 'big boss' that has been practicing for about 30 years because he seems to be busy. I know that residents, especially this one, do not have too much time on his hands, however, he already knows me pretty well and knows my character. Is a letter from a resident just as effective as a letter from the experienced physician or should I just wait?

Also, I am wondering about the timing of letters of recommendation. After I submit my application, how long should I wait to send my letters? I don't take my MCAT until after my app goes out so I already know they really won't look at my app until the score is sent a month later. Can I continue to gather letters until the day that I get my score and submit the LORs around that time? Or is it best to begin submitting a few letters by then? I know certain schools have a limit or recommend 3 letters and some have 5, but if I submit 2 to each school, would that pose a problem?

I was kind of wondering about the value of a letter from a physician. Would it really be more valuable than one from anyone else?

-Letter from calculus teacher, very strong
-letter from Ochem teacher, probably decent since I've gotten all A's, but not off the charts amazing
-Letter from bioethics teacher, strong
-Letter from Family Med doc I shadowed at a clinic that serves homeless youth, pretty strong
-Letter from volunteer supervisor at same clinic who I work with on outside community health projects also, will have a public health slant for MD/MPH programs.

No committee letter because I'm a postbacc and I don't have enough credits at my current institution to qualify for one.

I'm planning on sending a letter packet to all of my schools (2 science and 1 non-science letters). However I don't know why the AMCAS app won't let me organize all of my letters into one packet.

I added the first letter and chose "letter packet" and filled in all the contact information, but I didn't see any option to add more. So I repeated the process with the next two letters, and each time chose "letter packet". However they each have their own letter ID, isn't a letter packet supposed to have just one letter ID?

Hi, I am just starting my application process, studying for the MCAT which I take on Aug 3rd during the summer and pooling together all the resources I have into the AMCAS application.

A question I had was, I have gotten 3 letters from 3 professors, Chem 2, Physics 1 and 2 and Calculus 1 and 2 professors. Initially I thought that Calculus professor wouldn't count as a science professor, but now I realize my mistake. Would schools count this letter as a non-science professor letter?

Also, I had my professors send my letters to the pre-med advising office and they then send them to AMCAS all together, I believe. If I decide to get another letter from a non-science professor, then could I just ask the pre-med office to send that letter separately, if I get it later? Is this acceptable?

Thank you.

Anyone else writing a letter of recommendation for themselves? My biochemistry professor said "make a draft of the letter that you would like me to send, a couple of paragraphs of the nice things that you would like me to say as your professor for Biochemistry I." So hear am I googling sample recommendation letters for med school and crafting things as they pop into my head.

I just got a response from a professor who is willing to write my letter for this cycle, but he said he would prefer to write it later in the summer. So my question is -

When do I need all letters by?

I heard someone say once that they're part of the secondaries so they technically don't need it until after the primary apps are done and submitted.

Sorry guys its probably been asked before, but if a schools says "we require 3 letters...." and they say nothing else about there being a maximum amount can I send more letters to that school?

Sorry guys its probably been asked before, but if a schools says "we require 3 letters...." and they say nothing else about there being a maximum amount can I send more letters to that school?

Some do have a maximum, but regardless I would avoid sending lots because they might ignore some.

What all should I include in my packet to help my writers in the process if I do not have my personal statement yet? I'm meeting with the professors this week and want to have something to be able to give them besides just transcripts.

Also, I've been asked: "what should I write about?" or "what would you like me to mention?" How should I respond to this to my writers? Possibly include a list of highlighting topics to use as prompts?

Anyone have any advice on this?

I'll throw in my two cents. ALL of my letter writers know me beyond a student. I've spoken to them during office hours, some personal things (oh, how's the job, how's the family, how's life, how was your summer, etc). They know my work ethic, my grades (so definitely have a resume at the least, if not personal statement: a PS can be critiqued by so many people, a resume is checklist or no checklist) and what made me stand out, so they didn't ask for much. In your resume, when you go speak to them, list some standard things (GPA, the grade in their class, a somewhat memorable question or answer especially if it was during office hours, an effort to further understand the material). For example: I talked extensively about insulin patches and sublingual insulin with one of my letter writers, after reading his paper on buccal insulin. He was really thrilled I went to such lengths in my biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics class to bring fourth this discussion, so he told me he included that tidbit in his LOR.

YMMV, and I dunno, but if they know you beyond just a student and have a memorable event that reflects you using your intelligence, your letter is as good as written.

Thanks for the input.

What do you think about including this guide for letter writing to accompany my personal info:

http://www.hakeem-sy.com/main/node/18200

Obviously need to change the formatting though :p

Yeah, that encompasses what I mentioned. Like I said, if they know you and you have a great relationship with them, then you won't need anything but your resume and a please.

Does anyone know if most schools adhere strictly to the 1-page letter requirement? I just found that 1 of my 5 LORs is 2 pages long, although I'm uncertain of the length of the second page. Will this letter still be accepted by most schools or should I try and ask the author to please reduce the length?

Thanks in advance!

Letters of recommendation are to be transmitted via AMCAS only. Please review with AMCAS their letter transmission policy at http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas. Do not submit letters of recommendation to Jefferson Medical College.

Does that mean I can't use Interfolio for them?

Letters of recommendation are to be transmitted via AMCAS only. Please review with AMCAS their letter transmission policy at http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas. Do not submit letters of recommendation to Jefferson Medical College.

Does that mean I can't use Interfolio for them?
You can use Interfolio. You just have to send the letters to AMCAS afterward before sending them to any school which is how you were planning to do it anyway, I'm sure :)

You can use Interfolio. You just have to send the letters to AMCAS afterward before sending them to any school which is how you were planning to do it anyway, I'm sure :)

Ha yeah thanks, I actually completely forgot that interfolio can directly send them to AMCAS anyway.

Ha yeah thanks, I actually completely forgot that interfolio can directly send them to AMCAS anyway.
No problem.

Just for the record for anyone reading: If you are using Interfolio you still send your letters to AMCAS for all but 5 of the AMCAS-participating schools (list here https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/63226/faq_amcasletters.html). If you are applying to a school that uses AMCAS for Letter of Evaluation collection, you cannot send your letters directly from Interfolio to the medical school. They have to go to AMCAS first.

If you are using TMDSAS, you send your letters from Interfolio to TMDSAS then send the letters on to schools.

If you are applying to one of the five AMCAS schools that doesn't use AMCAS' letter collection service, then you can use Interfolio to send your letters directly to the school. The school should be providing additional directions to you, either on their website or on their secondary application. A helpful resource is the school-specific thread for the school

I am not as familiar with DO applications but I think you send your letters from Interfolio to AACOMAS :confused:

I made a letter request in Interfolio but saw no activity log, nor received email confirmation. Is that normal?

Edit: the requests are hidden in "Manage Documents"

Last edited:
  1. Non-science letter: psychology prof (personality theory)
  2. Non-science letter: clinical volunteer director
  3. Science letter: genetics prof
  4. Science letter: psychology prof, adjunct biology prof, PI, behavioral neuroscientist
Question: What can I do for AMCAS to unambiguously consider letter four "science"? The prof is primarily in the psychology department, just like my first "non-science" letter, but they are very different types of psychologists. We didn't have a neuroscience department at my school. Should I label the letter four author as "adjunct biology prof" rather than "psychology prof" to secure my second science letter?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have a question I would appreciate your feedback on- I took a recent anthropology course that I think would be good for getting a non science LOR; my dilemma is whether to ask the TA, who I know better or the professor, who's well, a professor and not a TA?

Also, do you guys think that you should automatically seek professors in classes where you had the highest grade in a class? I have one bio professor who was kind of aloof and hard to meet with but where I did extremely well. I haven't thought about contacting her, but it seems like it might be strong just on that alone.

Hey guys, I have a question I would appreciate your feedback on- I took a recent anthropology course that I think would be good for getting a non science LOR; my dilemma is whether to ask the TA, who I know better or the professor, who's well, a professor and not a TA?

The TA probably knows you better, so asking your TA would be better. I would also ask the TA to perhaps have the professor sign off on the bottom of the letter to add more "credential weight," if you will :)

The TA probably knows you better, so asking your TA would be better. I would also ask the TA to perhaps have the professor sign off on the bottom of the letter to add more "credential weight," if you will :)

TA letters of recc mean NOTHING. Even with a professor signing off, it is really pretty worthless unless you have no other options. There are many threads dedicated to this question.

TA letters of recc mean NOTHING. Even with a professor signing off, it is really pretty worthless unless you have no other options. There are many threads dedicated to this question.

Really?? I'm pretty sure if the TA has at least a masters, even a professor signing off wouldn't be necessary.

So, I've run into a bit of a situation. So far, I've only gotten 1 science letter and one non-science letter. I know I need another letter but I think it will be pretty impossible at this point. I can get a letter from my PI who is a Biology professor. Does anyone know which schools will accept this as a science letter? I know some schools can be very particular about what they consider a science letter.

Can anyone speak from experience? I don't know if I should call a school and ask since I know some of them lie just to get the money for the secondary. /tinfoilhat :laugh:

Advice needed:

After speaking with one of my Science recommenders I got the impression that he mentioned something negative in my letter. He seemed supportive and I definitely asked for a strong letter, but I think he may have mentioned that I was pretty shy in class. He also said to me that I was one of the most ambitious and organized students in his class so I'm really confused. Will this ruin my entire application??This is the only letter I'm concerned about because I had less of a close relationship to this instructor.

If a school says you can submit a "maximum" number of letters, does this mean that this is the maximum number that they will read in your file? I.e. if you submit 6 and their max is 5, they won't read one of your letters? Or if their max is 5 and you submit 6 will it look like you didn't do your research on the school and project badly on you?

If a school says you can submit a "maximum" number of letters, does this mean that this is the maximum number that they will read in your file? I.e. if you submit 6 and their max is 5, they won't read one of your letters? Or if their max is 5 and you submit 6 will it look like you didn't do your research on the school and project badly on you?

if they say there max is 5, assign 5. Don't do anything that could be interpreted negatively.... FOLLOW DIRECTIONS

At my school you submit all your letters to them, and then they submit them all to AMCAS. I'm not sure at what point I would get to pick and choose which schools get 3, 4, 5, or 6. So....?

At my school you submit all your letters to them, and then they submit them all to AMCAS. I'm not sure at what point I would get to pick and choose which schools get 3, 4, 5, or 6. So....?
Hhm I don't have a premed committee at my school .. I assume this is what you're referring to.

Yeah at my school all of our letters are in a packet and our school suggests 6. So I am stuck sending all the letters in the packet to every school - even if they only allow 5 :( since we cannot break up the letters.

Six letters is a lot of letters.
well my problem is that I have a letter from a pre-med adviser in which she uses material from 5 of my individual letters.. however because my university doesnt assemble letter packets/does not have a pre-med committee I have to classify all of these as individual letters. so Im basically deciding whether I need to cut out the adviser's letter at the school's that have a max of 5.

also this is my second time applying so I've gathered new materials since last year's app cycle.

I seem to remember most schools saying "either X number of letters OR a letter packet from your school OR a committee letter." So if your school submits it as a packet, I think you should be fine. OP, you can select which individual letters go to which school.

well my problem is that I have a letter from a pre-med adviser in which she uses material from 5 of my individual letters.. however because my university doesnt assemble letter packets/does not have a pre-med committee I have to classify all of these as individual letters. so Im basically deciding whether I need to cut out the adviser's letter at the school's that have a max of 5.

also this is my second time applying so I've gathered new materials since last year's app cycle.

Seems odd that it works like this. I wouldn't cut out the adviser letter, since schools like this type of letter (it sounds very similar to a committee letter).

If you are worried, contact the schools. I doubt they would care, especially since one of your letters is a committee-like letter.

You could also evaluate the other five letters (again, I would keep the adviser letter). Five letters is a lot, and I would think you could probably eliminate one or two. Where are all these letters from?

Status
Not open for further replies.