*~*~*~* Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just created an entry for a LOR and already sent the letter request form to the doctor who is writing it. However, I realized that I somehow forgot to enter a title for him. It contains the hospital name, but not the "Professor of X"/"Doctor of X" part. I don't believe this can be edited once the letter entry is created on AMCAS. I'll have a committee letter and this isn't fulfilling any specific academic letter requirements. Do you think this is a mistake that warrants deleting the entry and sending him a new letter request, or will it be okay as is?
Its ok

Members don't see this ad.

Another quick question (sorry). For one school, I can only assign 2 letters beyond a committee letter. I'm definitely using my thesis advisor/program director from my Master's. But which of these sounds most important for the second to round out my app:
- Research PI/former professor (undergrad research + full time position afterwards)
- Division 1 athletics head coach, great relationship
- Doctor/head of pre-med organization I was heavily involved with

Members don't see this ad :)
Another quick question (sorry). For one school, I can only assign 2 letters beyond a committee letter. I'm definitely using my thesis advisor/program director from my Master's. But which of these sounds most important for the second to round out my app:
- Research PI/former professor (undergrad research + full time position afterwards)
- Division 1 athletics head coach, great relationship
- Doctor/head of pre-med organization I was heavily involved with

why arent any of these letters included in the committee

Reactions: 1 user
why arent any of these letters included in the committee
Unfortunately my school’s committee is not the kind that collects letters and quotes them or sends a packet. It’s a committee recommendation based on my performance in school and other information that I’ve given them over time. It’s a strange system I know...but it’s a top 20 undergrad school that sends a lot of people to med school every year so it must work somehow.

If a school recommends or prefers specific LOR writers but you do not have them is it worth applying? For instance, Jefferson recommends 1 humanities, 1 chemistry, 1 physics, and 1 biology is it worth applying if you do not have those? I have 1 anatomy professor, 1 sports physiology/ clinical physiology professor, PE and PI. I am kinda worried that they would just take my money :dead:

If a school recommends or prefers specific LOR writers but you do not have them is it worth applying? For instance, Jefferson recommends 1 humanities, 1 chemistry, 1 physics, and 1 biology is it worth applying if you do not have those? I have 1 anatomy professor, 1 sports physiology/ clinical physiology professor, PE and PI. I am kinda worried that they would just take my money :dead:
I dont know enough them to give you a good recommendation, but if you fit their stats and mission well, I would still consider applying

At most schools yes, at other schools no. What about any of the Bio, chem, or physics teachers you had

I got one from my physics 2 professor and another from my psych stats 2 professor last September (A's in both). My physics 1 (B grade) lecture professor said they don't like doing LORs because it takes too much time and energy. The lab professor wouldn't respond to my emails. I got a C and C+ in General Chemistry 1&2 so I didn't want to ask either professor. I had only taken Genral Bio 1 and got a D+ so I couldn't ask that professor. Then I got A's in Bio 1&2 for non-science majors but couldn't ask the professor because the courses weren't for science majors. I was panicking thinking I wouldn't have a second sciLOR so I asked my stats professor. I am now expecting one from my Orgo 1 professor and I just got an A in the course.

How old can letters be?

I got one from my physics 2 professor and another from my psych stats 2 professor last September (A's in both). My physics 1 (B grade) lecture professor said they don't like doing LORs because it takes too much time and energy. The lab professor wouldn't respond to my emails. I got a C and C+ in General Chemistry 1&2 so I didn't want to ask either professor. I had only taken Genral Bio 1 and got a D+ so I couldn't ask that professor. Then I got A's in Bio 1&2 for non-science majors but couldn't ask the professor because the courses weren't for science majors. I was panicking thinking I wouldn't have a second sciLOR so I asked my stats professor. I am now expecting one from my Orgo 1 professor and I just got an A in the course.

How old can letters be?

1) The letters can older, but you can simply ask the professors to update and resubmit
2) presumably your Bio non majors is a faculty member and you could ask them
3) many adcoms will not consider a psych stats letter sciences as some will barely consider it many

I am asking this for when I apply next year, but I am currently finishing up my second year in a lab doing research. I will be moving into a new lab for next year. When I get a letter from my employer for this research, can I just get a letter from my PI for the lab I will be in next year? Does it matter if I don't have a letter from the current PI?

I am asking this for when I apply next year, but I am currently finishing up my second year in a lab doing research. I will be moving into a new lab for next year. When I get a letter from my employer for this research, can I just get a letter from my PI for the lab I will be in next year? Does it matter if I don't have a letter from the current PI?
The more research heavy a school, the better it would be to have letter from all labs you have worked at. However, except for a few schools, HMS being most notable, most do not require that lwvwl

Members don't see this ad :)
The more research heavy a school, the better it would be to have letter from all labs you have worked at. However, except for a few schools, HMS being most notable, most do not require that lwvwl

My committee strongly recommends that you submit a letter from a research mentor. At the time of my application, I will have been working in research for 3 years. So I should probably have a letter from one of my research supervisors, right? Would it matter whether it was the recent one (who I will be with for 1 year) or the older one (who I have been with for 2 years)?

My committee strongly recommends that you submit a letter from a research mentor. At the time of my application, I will have been working in research for 3 years. So I should probably have a letter from one of my research supervisors, right? Would it matter whether it was the recent one (who I will be with for 1 year) or the older one (who I have been with for 2 years)?
You are asking two different things:
1) if you are using a committee letter, you need to follow solely the requirements set by the UG premed committee. They will tell you what you need
OR
2) if you are submitting individual letters directly to medical schools, you need to follow the specific requirements for each medical school.

You are asking two different things:
1) if you are using a committee letter, you need to follow solely the requirements set by the UG premed committee. They will tell you what you need
OR
2) if you are submitting individual letters directly to medical schools, you need to follow the specific requirements for each medical school.

My premed committee doesn't specify whether the research supervisor letter needs to be from the most recent one. I was just wondering if schools would see my application and wonder why I have one letter from the PI who I was with for one year rather than the PI I was with for two years

My premed committee doesn't specify whether the research supervisor letter needs to be from the most recent one. I was just wondering if schools would see my application and wonder why I have one letter from the PI who I was with for one year rather than the PI I was with for two years

Why dont you get letters from both and they will both be included in committee eval?

There are at 3-4 schools on my list that require a LOR from a non-science faculty member. The individual I asked to write me the letter agreed a few months ago. The last three email reminders I've sent have been returned, the address no longer exists. I contacted the chair of the department and found out that individual no longer works there. I found another way to contact them, I'd still like them to submit a letter for me, but I'm worried that it's going to be a problem that they no longer work at the school and won't be able to submit on official letterhead. I'm worried that if I go to ask someone else to write me the letter it will delay my application. I'd appreciate any thoughts!

There are at 3-4 schools on my list that require a LOR from a non-science faculty member. The individual I asked to write me the letter agreed a few months ago. The last three email reminders I've sent have been returned, the address no longer exists. I contacted the chair of the department and found out that individual no longer works there. I found another way to contact them, I'd still like them to submit a letter for me, but I'm worried that it's going to be a problem that they no longer work at the school and won't be able to submit on official letterhead. I'm worried that if I go to ask someone else to write me the letter it will delay my application. I'd appreciate any thoughts!
The original writer can do so on letterhead of their current position where they will explain they were previously professor of X at School Y. If they dont have letterhead, i suggest just writing a formal business letter and if possible attach or copy current or past business card to the top

I am not sure if my professors and doctor wrote LOR on official letterhead and signed it before making pdf file and uploaded it to AMCAS. I don't want to ask them and bother them. Let's assume it was not on official letterhead/not signed, will medical school reject application and not look at it or will they request to resubmit reco letter with letterhead/signature? Did any one got that kind of request by medical college?

I am not sure if my professors and doctor wrote LOR on official letterhead and signed it before making pdf file and uploaded it to AMCAS. I don't want to ask them and bother them. Let's assume it was not on official letterhead/not signed, will medical school reject application and not look at it or will they request to resubmit reco letter with letterhead/signature? Did any one got that kind of request by medical college?
Bother your professors and doctors to resubmit else your application can easily be placed on hold

Idk how to go about assigning letters. should I meet the school’s bare minimum, then back off? Or try to submit as many letters as the school allows. I only have a total of 6 letters.

Example of my situation: some school requires 3 letters, 2 being academic. The max allowed is 6. I have 6 letters, 1 letter is a mediocre science letter and I have an average physician shadowing letter. Should I submit all 6 to this school? Or meet the bare minimum with strong letters ?

Idk how to go about assigning letters. should I meet the school’s bare minimum, then back off? Or try to submit as many letters as the school allows. I only have a total of 6 letters.

Example of my situation: some school requires 3 letters, 2 being academic. The max allowed is 6. I have 6 letters, 1 letter is a mediocre science letter and I have an average physician shadowing letter. Should I submit all 6 to this school? Or meet the bare minimum with strong letters ?
1) how would an extra mediocre letter help?
2) No physician shadow letter is average, virtually all are below average and unhelpful to a committee

Submit 4 and move on

1) how would an extra mediocre letter help?
2) No physician shadow letter is average, virtually all are below average and unhelpful to a committee

Submit 4 and move on

Got it, thanks for the help!

Why dont you get letters from both and they will both be included in committee eval?

So, this will be a long post, but I recently had a falling out with my current PI (the one I have been with for two years). In my lab (as I'm sure in many professional work environments), there is a lot of bureaucracy and rules, and my PI likes to know about everything going on in the lab. I wanted to do something in lab last week, and I got permission from one of the post docs to do it. I have done this thing in the past, and it was fine. The PI even found out about the previous instance and didn't get as angry.
Even though my post doc gave me permission, he made a condition that I should keep this a secret and make sure that nobody finds out about it. Like i said, this is something that's been done before. My PI knew about it before and didn't get as angry, and most of the reason he got angry this time was because he thought I was doing it without anyone's permission.

He found out about it, called me into his office last week, and said he wanted me to leave the lab. I convinced him to let me stay because I'm trying to finish up some data collection for a paper. I'm pretty sure he doesn't like me anymore.

So I believe up to that point, he would have written me a great letter. But this mistake I made probably ruined any chance of getting a nice letter from him.

It's looking like I'll probably only be asking for a letter from the PI I have next year.
Another option is to get a letter from one of the other post docs in my current lab who I had a great relationship with. He said he could write me a great letter. How are post doc letters viewed?

Alternatively, I could just wait some time and go back to this past PI. What do you think of this approach? Do you think I should wait time, go back to him, and then ask about a letter, bringing up the fact that this situation happened near the end of my time with him and I would like to know if that makes him uncomfortable writing a strong letter for me?

get the postdoc letter now and put it interfolio
next year try to get old PI letter
also get new PI letter

Just because you get the LOR in interfolio, doesnt mean you need to actually use them

get the postdoc letter now and put it interfolio
next year try to get old PI letter
also get new PI letter

Just because you get the LOR in interfolio, doesnt mean you need to actually use them

Thanks for the response. Given the information above, what do you think is the best way to approach my old PI after some time?

When I ask him for a letter, should I bring up the fact that this situation happened near the end of my time with him and I would like to know if that makes him uncomfortable writing a strong letter for me?

I know that it seems silly reminding him of this event that happened, but I don't know if it's a good idea to take a chance in not bringing it up. If I don't, and he remembers when writing the letter, he could write a poor letter. If I remind him when I ask him, he could tell me then and there whether he thinks it would negatively affect my letter or not.

I have about 6 letters, 2 science professors, the lab coordinator for the course I TA, one non-science professor, and my supervisor for my RA role. I am also considering having my volunteer coordinator at the sexual assault/domestic violence treatment center I volunteer at write me one. I am assigning letters based on school requirements (2 sci professors, 1 non-sci professor, etc), but for schools that accept up to 6+ should I send them all? If a school doesn't require 2 science I might not send my second science because it isn't as strong as some of my other letters.

I'm really interested in applying to Rush, as I believe I'm a great fit for their mission. What's giving me pause is their LOR requirements. They require 3 LORs: 1 academic letter (I've got a bunch of those, no problem), a work supervisor letter (my supervisor is traveling internationally but is writing one for me when he returns late July, so I'll upload then), and a personal letter (???):

The Rush website states:
  • Academic Letter: an individual who can critically evaluate your academic strengths and abilities, as well as your preparedness and suitability for a rigorous medical school curriculum. The academic letter does not need to be written by a science faculty member.
  • Professional Non-Academic Letter: an individual who has worked with you in a professional capacity and can insightfully address your personal strengths and attributes (e.g. resilience, dependability, social skills, cultural competence, service orientation) and the value these would bring to the diversity of the class, the patients you see, and the communities we serve. Examples might include: work supervisor, volunteer coordinator, physician shadowed.
  • Personal Letter: an individual who has an in-depth perspective of you. This letter should be a deeper, more personal letter that discusses who you are as an individual and addresses your personal goals, characteristics and aspirations for a career in medicine. This individual should be someone who has had substantial contact with you during the past 24 months.
I'm a nontraditional career changer, and I remain closely connected with my post-bac university community. Aside from my spouse and my mom, all the other people who would be able to speak to these personal qualities in any depth are my former professors, and they have already written academic letters. In particular my P.I. (also my former professor) would likely be the most appropriate person to address my personal qualities, since we've spent a lot of time discussing medicine and my application process over the past year. He knows me really well, and I now consider him a personal friend. He said he covered a lot of my personal attributes in his letter in addition to discussing my academic capabilities. But would Rush consider his LOR as an "academic" letter since it also addresses my academic performance and research experience?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Given the information above, what do you think is the best way to approach my old PI after some time?

When I ask him for a letter, should I bring up the fact that this situation happened near the end of my time with him and I would like to know if that makes him uncomfortable writing a strong letter for me?

I know that it seems silly reminding him of this event that happened, but I don't know if it's a good idea to take a chance in not bringing it up. If I don't, and he remembers when writing the letter, he could write a poor letter. If I remind him when I ask him, he could tell me then and there whether he thinks it would negatively affect my letter or not.
The one thing worse than no letter is a bad letter. No matter what you cant trust the
I have about 6 letters, 2 science professors, the lab coordinator for the course I TA, one non-science professor, and my supervisor for my RA role. I am also considering having my volunteer coordinator at the sexual assault/domestic violence treatment center I volunteer at write me one. I am assigning letters based on school requirements (2 sci professors, 1 non-sci professor, etc), but for schools that accept up to 6+ should I send them all? If a school doesn't require 2 science I might not send my second science because it isn't as strong as some of my other letters.
Thats fine. The 2 science/1 non science is the rule of thumb but not the requirement. Depending on what you did in the domestic violence role, that can be a powerful letter

I'm really interested in applying to Rush, as I believe I'm a great fit for their mission. What's giving me pause is their LOR requirements. They require 3 LORs: 1 academic letter (I've got a bunch of those, no problem), a work supervisor letter (my supervisor is traveling internationally but is writing one for me when he returns late July, so I'll upload then), and a personal letter (???):

The Rush website states:
  • Academic Letter: an individual who can critically evaluate your academic strengths and abilities, as well as your preparedness and suitability for a rigorous medical school curriculum. The academic letter does not need to be written by a science faculty member.
  • Professional Non-Academic Letter: an individual who has worked with you in a professional capacity and can insightfully address your personal strengths and attributes (e.g. resilience, dependability, social skills, cultural competence, service orientation) and the value these would bring to the diversity of the class, the patients you see, and the communities we serve. Examples might include: work supervisor, volunteer coordinator, physician shadowed.
  • Personal Letter: an individual who has an in-depth perspective of you. This letter should be a deeper, more personal letter that discusses who you are as an individual and addresses your personal goals, characteristics and aspirations for a career in medicine. This individual should be someone who has had substantial contact with you during the past 24 months.
I'm a nontraditional career changer, and I remain closely connected with my post-bac university community. Aside from my spouse and my mom, all the other people who would be able to speak to these personal qualities in any depth are my former professors, and they have already written academic letters. In particular my P.I. (also my former professor) would likely be the most appropriate person to address my personal qualities, since we've spent a lot of time discussing medicine and my application process over the past year. He knows me really well, and I now consider him a personal friend. He said he covered a lot of my personal attributes in his letter in addition to discussing my academic capabilities. But would Rush consider his LOR as an "academic" letter since it also addresses my academic performance and research experience?

Any thoughts?

There is nothing in the personal letter that precludes an indepth academic from writing it. I wouldnt worry

I can't trust what? So you think I should or shouldn't approach my old PI after some time passes?
Cant trust he wont bring up negative issues

I asked a professor for a LOR for medical schools (general both DO and MD). After submitting AMCAS I ran into him and asked if the letter was general to confirm and he said he specified "DO" schools in the letter. I then asked for another letter focused on MD schools and sent that in as well so AMCAS has both letters from him now. Will this hurt my chances for MD schools?

Hi, I haven't submitted my primary yet, but I'm about to. When I do that, do I have to assign letter writers to each school? Or can I choose after?

So, I just realized that I accidentally sent 6 letters to a school with a maximum of 4 ( I mixed up UMich and Western Mich when assigning letters....)

What happens with that school? It is weird...I thought I triple checked every school....but messed up with this one...

So, I just realized that I accidentally sent 6 letters to a school with a maximum of 4 ( I mixed up UMich and Western Mich when assigning letters....)

What happens with that school? It is weird...I thought I triple checked every school....but messed up with this one...

The school may simply file the first 4 it receives or not doing anything at all. Too late to do anything about it now and just hope this misfire missed your foot

Hello! I have a letter sent to AMCAS that has not been assigned to any medical schools. It has the message:
"AMCAS has received the following letter(s) that you have not yet added to your application. To select a letter we've already received, click the "Add This Letter" option at the right of the letter you wish to add. If this letter should be matched to one of the letter requests below, click on "Match This Letter" to the right of the letter. Only letters you add to your application will be sent to medical schools."

What happened is that my P.I. originally submitted a joint letter written between him and my post-doc mentor under only his name, and realized that he wanted to correct it. Thus, he submitted a new letter and I gave him a new letter request form and everything so it would be its own separate letter and not just a new version of the old (incorrect) one. I don't see any way to delete his original letter since my AMCAS is already submitted, so my question is whether that old letter not assigned to any schools will in any way delay my "complete" status once I've received and submitted my secondaries. If it will delay my "complete" status, is there anything that I can do?

I've searched online and in the AMCAS handbook but couldn't find an answer to my question. Your prompt reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

So my committee letter is still in the works which is kind of frustrating, I am not sure if it will be sent in until after I finish my secondaries.

My question is: will schools begin reviewing my application without it? Or am I bumped down in the queue until my committee letter is sent in? i.e. is it worth to send in my secondaries if my LoR isn't in yet.

So my committee letter is still in the works which is kind of frustrating, I am not sure if it will be sent in until after I finish my secondaries.

My question is: will schools begin reviewing my application without it? Or am I bumped down in the queue until my committee letter is sent in? i.e. is it worth to send in my secondaries if my LoR isn't in yet.

1) Historically, committee letters were not written and sent to medical schools until after the beginning of the Fall term
2) Some schools may keep queue you based on primary or secondary, but many will queue you only after file is complete
3) some schools may begin to evaluate prior to committee letter, but most will not

My undergrad pre-medical committee writes a single letter that reflects their experiences with me as a student. This letter is not sent as a packet and excludes additional letters from all clinical and research experiences. To be clear, there is just one letter included in my committee letter, written by a single writer, but signed by each member of the committee. This is of course different than what most committees do.

I read on several admissions webpages that some schools strongly recommend applicants do not submit additional letters, however, I am unsure how to classify sending individual letters alongside a single committee letter.

Should I submit my committee letter plus individual letters to construct a comprehensive letter packet, or is it advisable to submit only the single committee letter? All letters may be sent through the AMCAS Letter Service.

Any help is much appreciated.

Do anyone know how med school really receives application and LOR from AMCAS? Do they transmit those electronically? Do they really mail it in printed form to each med school? Do they just keep all data in AMCAS and med school have electronic access to those data?

If I submitted application and it's verified and ready with 2 LOR on June 28th (third LOR coming in few weeks), I assume med school somehow receive primary app and 2 LOR on or after June 28. When AMCAS receives third LOR, what happens? How do I know that third LOR went to med schools? Is there a way to check?

My undergrad pre-medical committee writes a single letter that reflects their experiences with me as a student. This letter is not sent as a packet and excludes additional letters from all clinical and research experiences. To be clear, there is just one letter included in my committee letter, written by a single writer, but signed by each member of the committee. This is of course different than what most committees do.
But it is the main purpose of all committees: to academically evaluate applicants. This is why either committee letter or two science/one nonscience faculty are the rule of thumb for applications

I read on several admissions webpages that some schools strongly recommend applicants do not submit additional letters, however, I am unsure how to classify sending individual letters alongside a single committee letter.
Not sure what you mean how to classify letters? do you mean as what "requirement" they fill? If so, ignore it. That is not something applicants classify. You simply list them as individual letters

Should I submit my committee letter plus individual letters to construct a comprehensive letter packet, or is it advisable to submit only the single committee letter? All letters may be sent through the AMCAS Letter Service.

1. All letters MUST be sent thru AMCAS
2. You can send additional individual letter for research/PI
3. Few medical schools require or recommend clinical letter of any kind

Do anyone know how med school really receives application and LOR from AMCAS? Do they transmit those electronically? Do they really mail it in printed form to each med school? Do they just keep all data in AMCAS and med school have electronic access to those data?
letter are transmitted electronically to each school

If I submitted application and it's verified and ready with 2 LOR on June 28th (third LOR coming in few weeks), I assume med school somehow receive primary app and 2 LOR on or after June 28. When AMCAS receives third LOR, what happens? How do I know that third LOR went to med schools? Is there a way to check?
AMCAS primary application is wholly separate from AMCAS letter service.
It is your responsibility to check the letter gets into AMCAS and gets assigned to schools
AMCAS portal does not, repeat, does not report or notify anything about letters being recieved by schools. It will simply note that application and letters have been transmitted

Each medical school’s applicant portal and/or email will inform applicant status of documents in file. I advise all applicants to check each school’s portal at least every other day until your application is marked complete, in review or other status that indicates all material has been received. Every year I get applicants who are rejected purely on technical grounds for having incomplete file. Do not, repeat, do not assume the school will email or tell you that there is an issue. You own this process and you better be damn sure you are on top of it. This is when being an OCD Premed comes in handy

But it is the main purpose of all committees: to academically evaluate applicants. This is why either committee letter or two science/one nonscience faculty are the rule of thumb for applications

Not sure what you mean how to classify letters? do you mean as what "requirement" they fill? If so, ignore it. That is not something applicants classify. You simply list them as individual letters

1. All letters MUST be sent thru AMCAS
2. You can send additional individual letter for research/PI
3. Few medical schools require or recommend clinical letter of any kind
Thanks for your reply. Your answers to many posts here on SDN have really helped me out for much of my pre-med years.

“Classify” wasn’t the best word choice. My overall question is as follows: should I submit individual letters from my PIs in addition to the committee letter, being that my school doesn’t send a packet?

Some schools, for example, say that students should send a committee packet or individual letters. In these cases, would I send the committee letter + letters from the labs I worked in?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. Your answers to many posts here on SDN have really helped me out for much of my pre-med years.

“Classify” wasn’t the best word choice. My overall question is as follows: should I submit individual letters from my PIs in addition to the committee letter, being that my school doesn’t send a packet?

Some schools, for example, say that students should send a committee packet or individual letters. In these cases, would I send the committee letter + letters from the labs I worked in?

Thanks again.
i would suggest adding a PI indy letter is ok. I would only add a clinical letter if it was from lengthy employment. For most traditional Undergrads that isnt needed

Status
Not open for further replies.