*~*~*~* Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Lets say for example, school X gives you up to 5 letters to send.
I am getting a committee letter which will have 3 letters (included) and the school says, that whole packet counts as ONE letter.
So if I know my letters are all strong, is it necessarily helpful to add MORE letters (that are just going to sound redundant, yes OP is an excellent blah blah)
or if the school gives you the option of 5 letters, is it better to use ALL 5 letter uploads?

Members don't see this ad.

In retrospect I realize I may not have phrased my questions very well. I am asking because I am concerned how this delay affects placement in the rolling admissions cycle with the particular school, post submission of the secondary. If one submits a secondary on July 1, but that school does not report their letters as received until, say, July 10, are they a July 1 or July 10 applicant at that school?

*I originally asked the question because I thought the AMCAS letter service would be an instant, electronic transfer of my letters along with the application. I was wondering how my application could be received but not the letters at the same time. I am a first time applicant so this is all confusing to me. I just wanted to find out if this kind of delay is normal or if I needed to do something on my end, as receipt of letters is ultimately the applicant's responsibility.
Won't matter

Hi quick question,

If a letter that was already assigned to medical schools is not going to end up being sent anymore, do I need to call each school that is anticipating it to let them know it's not being sent in anymore? I already marked it as not being sent on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Lets say for example, school X gives you up to 5 letters to send.
I am getting a committee letter which will have 3 letters (included) and the school says, that whole packet counts as ONE letter.
So if I know my letters are all strong, is it necessarily helpful to add MORE letters (that are just going to sound redundant, yes OP is an excellent blah blah)
or if the school gives you the option of 5 letters, is it better to use ALL 5 letter uploads?

The vast majority of school want EITHER a committee letter OR individual letters. Sending additional letters under the idea that since committee letter is only ONE shows an adcom you cant follow or understand directions

Reactions: 1 user
Hi quick question,

If a letter that was already assigned to medical schools is not going to end up being sent anymore, do I need to call each school that is anticipating it to let them know it's not being sent in anymore? I already marked it as not being sent on AMCAS.
No, nor should you double post questions

Last edited:
  • Love
Hi! A lot of schools ask for a graduate letter of rec if you're enrolled in a graduate program. I am enrolled in a remote online graduate program (because it was free and i wanted to learn) where all the classes are prerecorded. It's thus really hard for me to get a lor, because I don't really interface with professors. Any advice about this?

Hi! A lot of schools ask for a graduate letter of rec if you're enrolled in a graduate program. I am enrolled in a remote online graduate program (because it was free and i wanted to learn) where all the classes are prerecorded. It's thus really hard for me to get a lor, because I don't really interface with professors. Any advice about this?
Ignore the requirement, if space on secondary VERY BRIEF 1-2 line explaination

Reactions: 1 users
Just a general fyi (in case anyone else has a similar situation that I did)...

I went to assign letters after submitting my app and the resubmit button wouldn't highlight. I clicked save a thousand times but anytime I logged out and back in all of my letter assignments were deleted. AAMC called me back, they had me re-do the letter assignments, then change my email address (which made the resubmit button light up), resubmit, then change my email address back to normal and resubmit again. Apparently they're aware of the glitch.

When should I stop reminding professors and call schools expecting their letter (via AMCAS designation) to tell them not to expect the letter anymore?

To be sure, when am I losing the advantage of rolling admissions having pre-written more than I am gaining support from their letters?

Would it be about this Friday or the end of this month (consensus for "early" seems to be until the end of July for 2° completion)? I also have an early Vanderbilt application and want to leverage the advantage I have there...

FWIW, I'm at 1/2 science letters (still waiting on 2 science professors, but for schools like NU they need 2), 1 PI/non-science, and 1 MD.

When should I stop reminding professors and call schools expecting their letter (via AMCAS designation) to tell them not to expect the letter anymore?

To be sure, when am I losing the advantage of rolling admissions having pre-written more than I am gaining support from their letters?

Would it be about this Friday or the end of this month (consensus for "early" seems to be until the end of July for 2° completion)? I also have an early Vanderbilt application and want to leverage the advantage I have there...

FWIW, I'm at 1/2 science letters (still waiting on 2 science professors, but for schools like NU they need 2), 1 PI/non-science, and 1 MD.
Many professors will not complete letters ntil after they get back from Fall term.

Hi,
May I still use letters of recommendation written/dated May 2018 for this current 2019-2020 cycle or do I need to ask my writers to please update the letters with a new date? Would it be frowned up to keep last year's dated letters or preferred to update them? Thank you

Hi,
May I still use letters of recommendation written/dated May 2018 for this current 2019-2020 cycle or do I need to ask my writers to please update the letters with a new date? Would it be frowned up to keep last year's dated letters or preferred to update them? Thank you
Ask to update

Ask to update

I have a letter on file from a year or two ago from a former PI. Is it critical that I get an updated one with a new date on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only person who thinks that perhaps of all of the post-MCAT steps of the application cycle, the LOR part is the MOST frustrating part ever? Mostly because it is 100% out of your own control and you're utterly dependent on someone else taking XYZ steps to do something. :(

Reactions: 1 users
Am I the only person who thinks that perhaps of all of the post-MCAT steps of the application cycle, the LOR part is the MOST frustrating part ever? Mostly because it is 100% out of your own control and you're utterly dependent on someone else taking XYZ steps to do something. :(

Lets see, you have the power to build into a relationship, request early, provide all the information, remind them, but besides that I guess its out your control. A lot of medicine is out of your control when you are in practice

• Angry
Hello! I am a reapplicant from last cycle when I applied to MD/PhD programs and this cycle I am applying to a mix of MD/PhD and MD. I have been struggling with something from my committee for my committee letter for a few weeks and I decided to turn to SDN for a final opinion before asking them to upload my letter.

Some of my letters last year recommended me for MD/PhD programs. My committee is telling me that they cannot swap out those letters even if the same person writes the same letter but replaces the word MD/PhD.

Will this completely mess up my chances of getting into an MD program. My committee told me that it is normal and common for someone who was unsuccessful as an MD/PhD applicant to apply this way and that I shouldn't worry... but I am. I would greatly appreciate any insight @gonnif !
Quit worrying it wont be an issue

I have 5 letters in my school's committee letter packet and I've seen some places say that "If your committee letter has more than 5 letters, we will only use the first 3."

How do I know which ones will be listed first? Should I ask my school to list my letters in a certain order?

I have 5 letters in my school's committee letter packet and I've seen some places say that "If your committee letter has more than 5 letters, we will only use the first 3."

How do I know which ones will be listed first? Should I ask my school to list my letters in a certain order?
Its wholly irrelevant. The committee letter eval will reference all of associated letters and likely quote from them. Whether the letters are attached or even read by adcom wont matter

Hello! This week, I will be receiving an additional letter of recommendation from a research experience this summer. I have already submitted a few secondaries, but would like those schools at which I am now already "complete" to see this one as well. What is the best way to go about alerting those schools to the additional letter of recommendation? I don't want to cause any confusion to reviewers, but would of course like them to see this letter of recommendation. Thank you!

Hello! This week, I will be receiving an additional letter of recommendation from a research experience this summer. I have already submitted a few secondaries, but would like those schools at which I am now already "complete" to see this one as well. What is the best way to go about alerting those schools to the additional letter of recommendation? I don't want to cause any confusion to reviewers, but would of course like them to see this letter of recommendation. Thank you!

So what do you want to be complete or to have them see this letter? In most cases, you simply add the letter to AMCAS and assign it to the school.
At some, this will automatically get into your file. However, if you are complete and already evaluated, it may not be read by anyone . At other schools, by adding a letter, your are requesting that the file be removed from complete, taken out of its place in the queue, add the letter into the file, then put back in the queue at that bottom of the pile.

Frankly, it is still early in the process that you havent been evaluated. Just add the letter to AMCAS

Along that same vein, what if I got a letter from the lecture professor (2 semesters) and also one for the lab section (which was also 2 semesters)? Both were for a difficult science class (one of those weeding out classes). The lab was included in the lecture portion so it's like getting two letters from the same course.
@Catalystik @gonnif

Is there any negative to having two science letters from the same subject area (both biology. one general bio and one molecular bio)?
only at a school that asks for two letters from different depts; Einstein used to do this but apparently no longer

Along that same vein, what if I got a letter from the lecture professor (2 semesters) and also one for the lab section (which was also 2 semesters)? Both were for a difficult science class (one of those weeding out classes). The lab was included in the lecture portion so it's like getting two letters from the same course.
@Catalystik @gonnif

While it is technically one course, I dont think it will be an issue

Just got an email from one of the schools that I'm applying to that one of my letters has no signature. It was submitted though Interfolio but when I called them they said they made a mistake when they confirmed there as no issues with the letter. Especially frustrating, since I thought all my letters were squared away months ago.

I contacted the professor (hopefully he's checking his email during the summer) to resubmit the letter. Just to clarify, all I need to do is resubmit the letter to AMCAS through Interfolio and it will update it at all the schools, even the ones I'm already complete at?

Thanks!

Just got an email from one of the schools that I'm applying to that one of my letters has no signature. It was submitted though Interfolio but when I called them they said they made a mistake when they confirmed there as no issues with the letter. Especially frustrating, since I thought all my letters were squared away months ago.

I contacted the professor (hopefully he's checking his email during the summer) to resubmit the letter. Just to clarify, all I need to do is resubmit the letter to AMCAS through Interfolio and it will update it at all the schools, even the ones I'm already complete at?

Thanks!
Yes, you use the same letter ID and it will append the new letter to old. I would write a VERY BRIEF 1-2 line note to ALL school that letter was inadvertently submitted w/o signature but was recently resubmitted correctly by letter writer

My committee letter was just uploaded to AMCAS this morning (got an email from AMCAS that it was received). I have already submitted the majority of my secondaries and am waiting to be marked complete (the letter is the last missing item). How long does it usually take once a letter is submitted to AMCAS to be marked complete by schools?

If I add an extraLOR to a school later in the cycle after I am already complete and under review at that school, would that affect the timeline of review? i.e. would I be sent back to the end of the "queue" or would my review be unaffected?

My committee letter was just uploaded to AMCAS this morning (got an email from AMCAS that it was received). I have already submitted the majority of my secondaries and am waiting to be marked complete (the letter is the last missing item). How long does it usually take once a letter is submitted to AMCAS to be marked complete by schools?

2 hours to 4 weeks

If I add an extraLOR to a school later in the cycle after I am already complete and under review at that school, would that affect the timeline of review? i.e. would I be sent back to the end of the "queue" or would my review be unaffected?

Complete means you are complete

By submitting an letter after you are complete, you are implying that you want your file removed from complete, reopened, have the letter evaluated, then moved back to complete, where indeed it could be now at the bottom of the queue. Usually, if evaluation has not been completed yet, it will not affect the timing. However, your letters may have already been evaluated and a new one is more likely not been evaluated by a reader and will just be part of the file send to the committee for II. They may or may not read it or even notice it.

Complete means you are complete

By submitting an letter after you are complete, you are implying that you want your file removed from complete, reopened, have the letter evaluated, then moved back to complete, where indeed it could be now at the bottom of the queue. Usually, if evaluation has not been completed yet, it will not affect the timing. However, your letters may have already been evaluated and a new one is more likely not been evaluated by a reader and will just be part of the file send to the committee for II. They may or may not read it or even notice it.
So would you suggest against updating with a letter within the next, say, one week?

My second science LOR professor is taking forever to turn in his letter. I asked him way back and march and he agreed. I go into his office once a week (he doesn't check email) and he always says he's working on it and it'll be done by the weekend and it never is. I'm really stressed and afraid it's too late to find someone else to write it for me. Our letter packet person at my school said I can submit one letter packet with the first 4 letters and then submit his after. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to get screwed over because of this

How do I request Letter Updates on Interfolio? Is the only way to send a whole new link? Or is there a way to send the old letter for minor changes

My second science LOR professor is taking forever to turn in his letter. I asked him way back and march and he agreed. I go into his office once a week (he doesn't check email) and he always says he's working on it and it'll be done by the weekend and it never is. I'm really stressed and afraid it's too late to find someone else to write it for me. Our letter packet person at my school said I can submit one letter packet with the first 4 letters and then submit his after. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to get screwed over because of this

You do not need all letters to submit

Not sure if this was asked, but I can't find a thread on this.

I've been removed from college for 3 years now. One science professor has essentially ghosted me. I asked back in February if she could write a letter and has been very nice about writing one. She told me that she won't start writing any letters until May 15th, as she's had many contact her for similar letters. I've sent all materials to her (including new MCAT score), but I haven't heard since that email in late April.

What I'm wondering is: I have 1 hard science letter in and a letter from a psych professor who's taught me neuroscience and behavior. In addition, he's been my research PI for 2 years, where we did neuroscience research. Because it's in the psych department, will it not count as a science letter? Schools I've applied to are lenient on non-trad students, where we (I) can submit letters from current/past employers in lieu of faculty letters. I have 2 letters from 1.) my PI; and 2.) the senior lead - both of whom wrote glowing letters.

Not sure if this was asked, but I can't find a thread on this.

I've been removed from college for 3 years now. One science professor has essentially ghosted me. I asked back in February if she could write a letter and has been very nice about writing one. She told me that she won't start writing any letters until May 15th, as she's had many contact her for similar letters. I've sent all materials to her (including new MCAT score), but I haven't heard since that email in late April.

What I'm wondering is: I have 1 hard science letter in and a letter from a psych professor who's taught me neuroscience and behavior. In addition, he's been my research PI for 2 years, where we did neuroscience research. Because it's in the psych department, will it not count as a science letter? Schools I've applied to are lenient on non-trad students, where we (I) can submit letters from current/past employers in lieu of faculty letters. I have 2 letters from 1.) my PI; and 2.) the senior lead - both of whom wrote glowing letters.
The Department is mostly irrelevant, as a neuroscience professor run with it as if it were science

If I mark two letters as no longer being sent and the letter writers send that letter later, does that reflect negatively in any way/cause any problems for the school receiving the letter?

If I mark two letters as no longer being sent and the letter writers send that letter later, does that reflect negatively in any way/cause any problems for the school receiving the letter?
It can be a trivial confusion but nothing to worry about

how did any of you non-trads get a LOR from a non science professor? I did a year of postbacc so I’m sure the science can be done with a couple of meetings with the professors but I haven’t taken a science in years especially one where the professor will remember me. Is it kind of a “just meet with a professor that gave you an A that’s still at the university” deal?

how did any of you non-trads get a LOR from a non science professor? I did a year of postbacc so I’m sure the science can be done with a couple of meetings with the professors but I haven’t taken a science in years especially one where the professor will remember me. Is it kind of a “just meet with a professor that gave you an A that’s still at the university” deal?
1) you should ask some of previous professors at original degree; you may be surprised who remembers you
2) many, if not most schools, have alternative letter recommendations for nontrads. Indeed, some require letters from employers or current situation
3) if nothing else, apply without it

Thanks, I was a Biology degree. So my non science classes tended to be pretty packed but we’ll see!
1) you should ask some of previous professors at original degree; you may be surprised who remembers you
2) many, if not most schools, have alternative letter recommendations for nontrads. Indeed, some require letters from employers or current situation
3) if nothing else, apply without it

Hello! I am adding an update to my app with a new letter of rec. My letter writer went to one of the schools that I am applying to, so she wanted to write a personalized letter to that school only. However, she also wanted to write a generic letter for all of my other schools.

Is it possible for her to write two different letters? Or will AMCAS only let you do one letter per writer? Thanks!!

Hello! I am adding an update to my app with a new letter of rec. My letter writer went to one of the schools that I am applying to, so she wanted to write a personalized letter to that school only. However, she also wanted to write a generic letter for all of my other schools.

Is it possible for her to write two different letters? Or will AMCAS only let you do one letter per writer? Thanks!!

1) one letter per writer is technically what it should be, though I am sure you could
2) personalized letters can sometimes seem a little odd, so they need to be clear and transparent in the introductory paragraph that they writing specifically as a graduate of this medical school in support of this applicant who I know extensively (NOTE: it should be from something OTHER that a shadowing )
3) by adding a letter, do remember that you are asking that your file be removed from complete status, have the letter added, be evaluated, and then back to complete where it may now be at bottom of pile as you lost your place in the queue

This has probably been asked a million times, but I have one letter writer (doctor) who hasn't submitted his letter of rec and prob won't for a while, my science proffesor and other non science professor letters are all in, would i not be invited for an interview unless ALL my letters are submitted, even though the doctor letter of rec is an optional for the schools I'm applying to and not part of the requirement??

This has probably been asked a million times, but I have one letter writer (doctor) who hasn't submitted his letter of rec and prob won't for a while, my science proffesor and other non science professor letters are all in, would i not be invited for an interview unless ALL my letters are submitted, even though the doctor letter of rec is an optional for the schools I'm applying to and not part of the requirement??

Your application will not be marked complete, will not be evaluated, it will not be reviewed, and therefore no II can be granted. You are the one who told the school I am sending this letter, so required or not, they are adhering to your wishes

Your application will not be marked complete, will not be evaluated, it will not be reviewed, and therefore no II can be granted. You are the one who told the school I am sending this letter, so required or not, they are adhering to your wishes
Oh damn i didn't know that. is there any way to remove a letter of recommendation from AMCAS?

is it hella frowned upon to mark them as unsent after you've put in the letter request? I was thinking to just mark it as unsent and then when he finally like is ready to send it in, I just add it in later on in app?
It will automatically be added if it shows up later if marked as no longer sent

Status
Not open for further replies.