*~*~*~* Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2019-2020 *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So my professor just asked me if I would be able to see her letter of recommendation on AMCAS. I said no, but as I began to think about it more, I'm wondering why would she ask me that? She's a nice lady and we have a good relationship when I am around her. However, when I am around her, she talks bad about other students behind their backs, which makes me think that maybe she talks bad about me behind my back? She has also seen me quarrel with another TA as we helped her grade exams, and has even brought it up rather jokingly on a few occasions. I must also note that she has also written LOR in the past before for me, which has helped me win awards. Should this professor be trusted?

Members don't see this ad.

My primary application is verified and about to be distributed to schools tomorrow. I haven’t assigned any letters yet. I am still waiting on two to arrive from Interfolio, but they are having technical issues. Would it be better to:

• Send the primary to all schools with no letters assigned and wait for the last 2 to arrive, then assign them all at once?
  • Assign the letters I do have, but leave off the two I’m waiting for and assign those when they arrive?
  • Assign all letters now and AMCAS will automatically send them when they get them?

I know it won’t matter in the grand scheme of timing, but I feel weird assigning something while there are “technical difficulties” between Interfolio and AMCAS

Thanks!

Last edited:
So my professor just asked me if I would be able to see her letter of recommendation on AMCAS. I said no, but as I began to think about it more, I'm wondering why would she ask me that? She's a nice lady and we have a good relationship when I am around her. However, when I am around her, she talks bad about other students behind their backs, which makes me think that maybe she talks bad about me behind my back? She has also seen me quarrel with another TA as we helped her grade exams, and has even brought it up rather jokingly on a few occasions. I must also note that she has also written LOR in the past before for me, which has helped me win awards. Should this professor be trusted?
You are asking the question and therefore the answer is you cant trust her

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My primary application is verified and about to be distributed to schools tomorrow. I haven’t assigned any letters yet. I am still waiting on two to arrive from Interfolio, but they are having technical issues. Would it be better to:

• Send the primary to all schools with no letters assigned and wait for the last 2 to arrive, then assign them all at once?
  • Assign the letters I do have, but leave off the two I’m waiting for and assign those when they arrive?
  • Assign all letters now and AMCAS will automatically send them when they get them?

I know it won’t matter in the grand scheme of timing, but I feel weird assigning something while there are “technical difficulties” between Interfolio and AMCAS

Thanks!
If you only assign letters you have, schools could take that as no more letters are coming and evaluate as is. If you assign them and they arent there yet, schools will wait for them. What I really suggest you do is have the professors upload directly to AMCAS

If you only assign letters you have, schools could take that as no more letters are coming and evaluate as is. If you assign them and they arent there yet, schools will wait for them. What I really suggest you do is have the professors upload directly to AMCAS

When you say, "schools will wait for them," would waiting to submit my secondary until the letters arrive fix that issue, or might they wait to send the secondary?

Thanks again

When you say, "schools will wait for them," would waiting to submit my secondary until the letters arrive fix that issue, or might they wait to send the secondary?

Thanks again

Letter have nothing to do with secondary being sent. Waiting to send in secondary would fix the problem but that assumes at some point interfolio AMCAS will be fixed,

Letter have nothing to do with secondary being sent. Waiting to send in secondary would fix the problem but that assumes at some point interfolio AMCAS will be fixed,

Sounds good, thanks for your input.

Hello,
I did not get my MCAT score till the last week of school and did not decide to apply this cycle till then. Because I was worried that I might not get enough letters being it's late and Proffesors being gone for the summer I asked a bunch of my professors intership supervisors, and physicians I worked with/shadowed. I ended up getting 10 really strong letters and my school has no limit to letters in there letter packet just a size/page limit. Is 10 too much for TMDSAS or AAMCAS? Even though they're all very strong should I limit it to a couple somehow, I'm not sure how many would possibly negatively impact my application at all.
Sending 10 letters, even before anyone reads them, already raises a red flag as to why? Most applicants who do this are trying to make up for some weakness. Most schools do not require or recommend letters except academic. Do not, repeat, do not send in more than SIX (6). Pick 2 science professors, 1 non science, research or internship and physician if they were s direct employment supervisor. Thats ir

Sending 10 letters, even before anyone reads them, already raises a red flag as to why? Most applicants who do this are trying to make up for some weakness. Most schools do not require or recommend letters except academic. Do not, repeat, do not send in more than SIX (6). Pick 2 science professors, 1 non science, research or internship and physician if they were s direct employment supervisor. Thats ir
Or are obsessive-compulsive, or think "if five are good, ten must be great!"

• Haha
For Interfolio, do I choose to "deliver" to American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2019 Letters of Recommendation or American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2020 Letters of Recommendation? I will be applying this cycle (2019-2020) cycle

For Interfolio, do I choose to "deliver" to American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2019 Letters of Recommendation or American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2020 Letters of Recommendation? I will be applying this cycle (2019-2020) cycle

You are asking the question and therefore the answer is you cant trust her
Everything else aside, this professor has written successful LOR in the past for me, so the only thing that’s really holding me back right now is the fact that she asked me if I would see the LOR. Is that a normal question that professors ask, and is there any other intent behind that besides writing a bad LOR? That’s really what I’m trying to figure out.

Everything else aside, this professor has written successful LOR in the past for me, so the only thing that’s really holding me back right now is the fact that she asked me if I would see the LOR. Is that a normal question that professors ask, and is there any other intent behind that besides writing a bad LOR? That’s really what I’m trying to figure out.

There is no way to alleviate the risk. The only thing I know about the prof is what you have told me and that implies a risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's a pretty normal question. It allows the writer to be more candid certainly, without worrying that some harmless turn of phrase will lead to a visit by a student asking, "why did you describe me as perky?" (or stolid or serious or academic or goofy or reliable or unpredictable etc. etc.) "Perky is not how I see myself, can you change that?"
Another comment I want to make regarding your story is this: you are in a professional lab/work/academic setting, but you squabbled with a coworker so much that your supervisor has commented on it repeatedly. Think about this and step up your professionalism game.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
@gonnif I have 4 letters already delivered to AMCAS and 1 letter undelivered because my professor said she would submit it on July 8th. Should I assign all 5 to schools and submit my secondaries? So that schools will begin to read my secondaries until all my 5 letters arrive...?

@gonnif I have 4 letters already delivered to AMCAS and 1 letter undelivered because my professor said she would submit it on July 8th. Should I assign all 5 to schools and submit my secondaries? So that schools will begin to read my secondaries until all my 5 letters arrive...?

I would assign all 5 now

Hi all,

I have secondaries ready to submit with one letter of recommendation that still has not been submitted via AMCAS. However, I know that the letter is complete and it should be submitted tomorrow. I already meet the LOR requirements for my schools where I am ready to send my secondaries, so if I submit my secondary my application will be marked as complete.
I am not sure if I should wait until the last letter arrives via AMCAS before submitting the secondary. It's a very strong letter and this is for my top choice school, so I don't want them to not see the letter because I submitted my secondary without it, but I also don't want to delay the submission of my secondary. I received the secondary application two days ago. Any experience with this?

Hi all,

I have secondaries ready to submit with one letter of recommendation that still has not been submitted via AMCAS. However, I know that the letter is complete and it should be submitted tomorrow. I already meet the LOR requirements for my schools where I am ready to send my secondaries, so if I submit my secondary my application will be marked as complete.
I am not sure if I should wait until the last letter arrives via AMCAS before submitting the secondary. It's a very strong letter and this is for my top choice school, so I don't want them to not see the letter because I submitted my secondary without it, but I also don't want to delay the submission of my secondary. I received the secondary application two days ago. Any experience with this?

Well since it already is after Labor Day, I would submit the secondary immediately
Oh, wait since already August you should get this in quickly .....
Oh wait since it already July, so soon would okay.

Its still June, CTFO for a few days as it says in my signature and just assign the letter to the school and submit secondary in a week

• Haha
My PI for research is willing to write me a letter of rec. She is a graduate student and graduated in the spring. Does she use the letterhead from the school or for the job she is at now?

My PI for research is willing to write me a letter of rec. She is a graduate student and graduated in the spring. Does she use the letterhead from the school or for the job she is at now?
The job now and explains where she was formerly. But a grad student letter is wrak. If she can write in previous letterhead AND get her previous faculty to co-sign would be significantly better

Hey, INTERFOLIO users:

AMCAS has had an interface issue with receiving letters to AMCAS from Interfolio.

4 days ago they put out a message on Twitter
NOT to send any more letters via Interfolio until they update you that it is working once again.
Sorry if this is happening to you, so either wait until you get the all-clear, use AMCAS letter service, or ask Interfolio to mail a hard copy.

Watch AMCAS Twitter for updates.

Anyone for NYMC, are we able to submit the supplemental app without all LORs? I'm still waiting on two.

My AMCAS was submitted early June, all letters in ahead of time. Was verified and transmitted by end of June. I submitted a secondary today. Now that that is submitted, the secondary portal says that my AMCAS is received but my letters of evaluation have not been received and my application is not considered complete at their school.

Do the letters not go out at the same time and/or directly with the AMCAS application? Or are they sent separately, and a human at the university needs to mark them as received first and match them to the rest of my app? Any idea why it is working out like this, and should I just be patient and see if it sorts itself out or are there steps I should be taking to move this along?

My AMCAS was submitted early June, all letters in ahead of time. Was verified and transmitted by end of June. I submitted a secondary today. Now that that is submitted, the secondary portal says that my AMCAS is received but my letters of evaluation have not been received and my application is not considered complete at their school.

Do the letters not go out at the same time and/or directly with the AMCAS application? Or are they sent separately, and a human at the university needs to mark them as received first and match them to the rest of my app? Any idea why it is working out like this, and should I just be patient and see if it sorts itself out or are there steps I should be taking to move this along?
@spunkarillo There are 2 steps in doing your AMCAS letters,
1. getting them sent in
2. assigning them to your particular schools.
Did you do step 2?

Last edited:
@spunkarillo There are 2 steps in doing your AMCAS letters,
1. getting them sent in
2. assigning them to your particular schools.
Did you do step 2?
Yes, I assigned all the letters to my schools on June 28 right after verification (and re-submitted the app and got the confirmation emails from AMCAS). That's why I am wondering what's taking this part so long.

Yes, I assigned all the letters to my schools on June 28 right after verification (and re-submitted the app and got the confirmation emails from AMCAS). That's why I am wondering what's taking this part so long.
Things are not instant at schools. Usually each file needs to be checked for completeness by staff and that can take from 2 days to 4 weeks. Check with the school after july 4th

Things are not instant at schools. Usually each file needs to be checked for completeness by staff and that can take from 2 days to 4 weeks. Check with the school after july 4th
Ah I see. This is what I was wondering about. Thank you, this was very helpful!

Do you know how to unassign letters to schools on AMCAS?

LOR dilemma
I shadowed several doctors, one of whom I had known for a few years as we first came across each other thru research
He said he was happy to write letter then ghosted (or so I thought) and then he said he was away on vacation and that he can do it and just let him know how to proceed.
So I replied back and the deadline is approaching for my committee letter review and he has vanished once again!
He works at my hospital. Should I call his office directly? Email him again?
I know he is super busy bc he is an attending, also in charge of fellowships and so I know he gets 1000s of emails probably.

What should I do.... plus its the holiday weekend

I am using interfolio to submit my letters of recommendation. I learned via their quality control check that one of my letters (which I anticipate will be my strongest) is signed and on official letterhead, though not dated.

Does anyone know if this is alright? I checked my schools requirements and did not see specific mention of date, I also am curious if submission via Interfolio will somewhere imprint the date of submission by the writer onto AMCAS?

I am using interfolio to submit my letters of recommendation. I learned via their quality control check that one of my letters (which I anticipate will be my strongest) is signed and on official letterhead, though not dated.

Does anyone know if this is alright? I checked my schools requirements and did not see specific mention of date, I also am curious if submission via Interfolio will somewhere imprint the date of submission by the writer onto AMCAS?
How can anyone in any professional capacity write a business letter without dating it? However, It likely wont be an issue

1) every medical school has specific requirements for letters, both in who they are from and in the numbers of letter needed, included maximum.
2) each school, perhaps each evaluator, may have their own formal or informal acceptability of what is science and non-science
3) the rule of thumb of 2 science and one non-science is just that, a rule of thumb. you need to check each school's specific requirements
4) I advise students to have 2 clearly science letters and 1 clearly non-science, non-medical, non-health related letter from a general education requirement such as english, humanities, or social science
5) as for your specific questions
-- the Physiology of Aging and Neurobiology of Aging would be considered science by most
-- the medical ethics would be considered non science by most
-- the A&P and Biochem would be science
-- PI, while science faculty, may not be counted as science if you did not take a class with them
-- social aspects of death would be non science

What are you getting a degree in?
So to piggy back off of the bold:
I was originally going to ask a stats professor for a non-science LOR, since his class was the only non-BCP class I've taken in many years. However, could I use professor from a bioethics class? Or a professor from another class that was about public speaking and doing science education outreach volunteer work?
Both classes fell under BIO and were taught by faculty in the bio dept.

Ok cool! Last question: do you think I should apologize for it in the "other information" section of my app?
What would you possibly say? “Because I didnt bother to read the instructions I sent in too many letters.” Or perhaps “As I am an exceptionally arrogant student who am so full of myself that I must send too
Many letters” Or “just in case you didnt notice that I am am idiot here let me point out that I sent in too many letters”

Let sleeping dogs lie and keep quiet.

So to piggy back off of the bold:
I was originally going to ask a stats professor for a non-science LOR, since his class was the only non-BCP class I've taken in many years. However, could I use professor from a bioethics class? Or a professor from another class that was about public speaking and doing science education outreach volunteer work?
Both classes fell under BIO and were taught by faculty in the bio dept.
Both are non-science

How often do ADCOMS get lethal letters of recommendation? :(

I'm scared of blowing $5000 in an app cycle if I have a potentially lethal letter. I asked a prof to write me a letter and I didn't know them well but because I didnt have many non-science professors and the one I really liked retired- i had to settle for a person who didn't know me as well. I also remember mentioning how one of the readings in class were boring so I'm worried they might look back and remember that.

Should i wait an extra cycle to hopefully be safe or bite the bullet and send in my letters?

Okay!
I have LOR questions

I have a bunch of letters on file, which have been whipped into one long prehealth committee letter. I believe they will also append 2-3 letters to that as well. So that one for sure will be added to my AMCAS.
Is that usually good enough to cover most schools?
Or do people also assign a bunch of other letters in addition to that, that then get selected and sent to schools individually?

Please advise! Thanks :)

Quick question!

If a school only requires 1 science faculty letter, is it detrimental in any way to actually only send them 1 science faculty letter? I ask because I'm waiting on my 2nd science letter (no clue how long it will take, letter writer hasn't responded recently) but I can be complete at a few schools right now if I just send them my 1st science letter + 3 other non-science..

How often do ADCOMS get lethal letters of recommendation? :(

I'm scared of blowing $5000 in an app cycle if I have a potentially lethal letter. I asked a prof to write me a letter and I didn't know them well but because I didnt have many non-science professors and the one I really liked retired- i had to settle for a person who didn't know me as well. I also remember mentioning how one of the readings in class were boring so I'm worried they might look back and remember that.

Should i wait an extra cycle to hopefully be safe or bite the bullet and send in my letters?
Its is rare that adcoms get really negative letters. The vast majority are generic positive. Send your letters in

Okay!
I have LOR questions

I have a bunch of letters on file, which have been whipped into one long prehealth committee letter. I believe they will also append 2-3 letters to that as well. So that one for sure will be added to my AMCAS.
Is that usually good enough to cover most schools?
Or do people also assign a bunch of other letters in addition to that, that then get selected and sent to schools individually?

Please advise! Thanks :)
The vast majority of medical schools require, recommend, or prefer committee letters. They prefer the summarize evaluation. Sending in individual letters in addition is ill-advised

Quick question!

If a school only requires 1 science faculty letter, is it detrimental in any way to actually only send them 1 science faculty letter? I ask because I'm waiting on my 2nd science letter (no clue how long it will take, letter writer hasn't responded recently) but I can be complete at a few schools right now if I just send them my 1st science letter + 3 other non-science..
They want one letter, send one letter. It could be just as detrimental to two

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

In retrospect I realize I may not have phrased my questions very well. I am asking because I am concerned how this delay affects placement in the rolling admissions cycle with the particular school, post submission of the secondary. If one submits a secondary on July 1, but that school does not report their letters as received until, say, July 10, are they a July 1 or July 10 applicant at that school?

*I originally asked the question because I thought the AMCAS letter service would be an instant, electronic transfer of my letters along with the application. I was wondering how my application could be received but not the letters at the same time. I am a first time applicant so this is all confusing to me. I just wanted to find out if this kind of delay is normal or if I needed to do something on my end, as receipt of letters is ultimately the applicant's responsibility.

In retrospect I realize I may not have phrased my questions very well. I am asking because I am concerned how this delay affects placement in the rolling admissions cycle with the particular school, post submission of the secondary. If one submits a secondary on July 1, but that school does not report their letters as received until, say, July 10, are they a July 1 or July 10 applicant at that school?

*I originally asked the question because I thought the AMCAS letter service would be an instant, electronic transfer of my letters along with the application. I was wondering how my application could be received but not the letters at the same time. I am a first time applicant so this is all confusing to me. I just wanted to find out if this kind of delay is normal or if I needed to do something on my end, as receipt of letters is ultimately the applicant's responsibility.
1) Assume that a school will not put you in evaluation until your file is complete witb primary, secondary, MCAT, LOR. So whatever date that is would be the start
2) Application may be screened in chronological order but then they prioritized by whatever the specific school’s policies are. Therefore do not assume that applications are evaluated and reviewed in chronological order. superstars, alumni, linked programs, EDP, associated UG, URM/SES and other factors can push up the application in sequence
3) all admissions are rolling, only the announcement of acceptance is fixed or not.
4) more importantly, all interview invites are rolling and a fixed number of slots are available.
5) the receipt of letters is WHOLLY your responsibility. If your letters have been received by AMCAS, Assigned by you to each school, then confirmed transmitted to the school, then you need to check each school’s applicant portal. An initial file check by each school can take 2 days to 4 weeks or more.
6) do not assume that very much will be done with applications until beginning this week, more likely next. Its summer at academic institutions and things move slow
7) if NONE of your school’s show receipt of letters than double checked that you have assigned letters correctly. If so then contact AMCAS forthwith.

Status
Not open for further replies.