**Official Maryland Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! One of your future classmates made a facebook group. Current students will also join to answer any questions you have following acceptance. Please feel free to join :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/176055872861959/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Was accepted Dec. 1 but will not be accepting it. Good luck to everyone else, don't give up hope!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Post Dec interview received! January 17th! In state student. First interview invite after receiving 2 rejections already. Very excited for this opportunity.

In the EXACT same boat for everything haha. See you on the 17th! Good luck!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got an email for an interview today (my first one!)!! On january 17th - super nervous but excited!

As reference: I got everything in around late july, and got the supplemental in august :)

Would you be willing to share your stats! (Congrats btw)

Hey guys! Might have been covered already, but anyone have any insight as to how the Maryland interview is? Interviewing there december 13th and it's a top choice for me. Really wanna do well, haven't been accepted anywhere yet :(

Hey guys! Might have been covered already, but anyone have any insight as to how the Maryland interview is? Interviewing there december 13th and it's a top choice for me. Really wanna do well, haven't been accepted anywhere yet :(

Very easy. Conversational.

You talk to a professor, and a student takes notes on a tablet/computer.
Student sometimes jumps in and asks questions.

that's comforting to hear thank you had a friend interview there last cycle and he said he got rocked so i was a bit worried

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anyone know where I can find info on how much tuition and rent is for OOS?

I posted this in a different thread- copied and pasted from there:

I referred to this PDF published by UMB on the cost of attendance for each semester: https://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/af/sa/DDS.pdf

My Analysis:

Assuming 15K/yr cost of living...60K for all 4 yrs cost of living (credit due to @umbtoothfairy )

Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D1: $288,226
Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D2: $322,137
Total Cost of Attendance if OOS all 4 years: $382,279

From my interviews with multiple UMB students, it's very possible to get IS after D1, and virtually everyone who tries gets it after D2.

@umbtoothfairy feel free to fact-check me if I made a mistake.

Numbers I used for tuition and fees:
D1: OOS $82,559.80.
D2: OOS $81,543.80. IS $47,633.00
D3: OOS $79,196.80. IS $48,830.80
D4: OOS $78,978.80. IS $49,202.80.

For cost of living, I assumed a flat $15K/yr ($60K over 4 yrs- again thanks to @umbtoothfairy ) and added to the configurations from the numbers above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
@Incis0r's number are a pretty good estimate. I was told the average graduate by a classmate that c/o 2016 left with about 228k of debt on average, counting IS, OOS, etc. You generally should expect that number to only go up with time. Average debt nationally is around 250k

Hey guys! I just turned down an interview for next week after getting a couple of acceptances. I hope that another hopeful applicant gets invited to attend instead!

Hey guys! I just turned down an interview for next week after getting a couple of acceptances. I hope that another hopeful applicant gets invited to attend instead!

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwww. I'd go but I'm kind of broke! But Incis0r, I think you're one of the best sdners. I've read a ton of your responses and you just seem super cool. I wish we could be classmates!

Incisor are you heading to MD? eldmd, what other schools were you accepted to btw?

Also how students averaging less debt than what the estimated debt is?

Also how students averaging less debt than what the estimated debt is?

They get scholarships, grants, outside/previous funding (parents, significant other, previous job, savings) to decrease the amount they need.

I do not take out the full amount. I account for my tutition, fees, rent, utilities, food, and misc. spending and live a simple life. I live in a house with roommates versus an expensive apartment. Sticking to a general budget helps. You can have your loan refund placed directly in your checking account. I move it to my savings and then make monthly withdraws to pay my rent/bills first. This helps me budget in an informal way. I am the one who gave @Incis0r the 15k COL estimate: 1k a month plus 3k extra for travel, loupes, back-up. I pay around 700 for rent/utilities, my parents pay my health and car insurance thankfully, which leaves around 300 for food/whatever I want. I joined clubs and take advantage of free food at meetings. Example: ASDA (everyone is a member automatically at Maryland) had a lunch and learn yesterday and if you RSVP'd by a certain date, you could get free lunch. So I did and there were leftovers... yay free chick fil a for yesterday's lunch and I got an extra sandwich, which was tonight's dinner.

If I didn't get the supp at this point, is it safe to assume that I've been rejected? Submitted app early July.

If I didn't get the supp at this point, is it safe to assume that I've been rejected? Submitted app early July.
You never know to be honest; however, if you were accepted to a school recently, I think you should place a deposit versus wait for Maryland

Hey,

My app was mailed out 7/22, and I received and sent in my supplemental about a week later. However, I have heard nothing since then.. Been seeing that supp= likely to have an interview, but still silence. Trying to keep my hopes up

Hello,

I've been receiving multiple PMs requesting advice on UMB's interview process. I figured I'd post my response here so that everyone can benefit (also because I'm too lazy to copy and paste the response to everyone)

Interview Length:
  • Approximately 30 minutes
Interview Format:
  • You sit across from a faculty member who asks you questions. A dental student sits next to the faculty member and types up your responses. Occasionally, the dental student might ask you a few questions too. In my interview, they alternated with who asked questions and who jotted down the responses.
Interview To-Knows:
  • It is open-file. The dental student had my file pulled up on the computer and could see my DAT scores, etc.
  • For me, at least, they kept it conversational. I never felt "grilled." I felt welcomed - the interviewer complimented my file and it was clear that they just wanted to get to know me better.
Interview Tips:
  • Be original. I brought up one of my favorite hobbies and the interviewer was impressed and he even took down tips from me on how to get started with it.
  • Do not sweat it if you can't fully answer a few questions. For example, they asked me to name five examples of something, and I came up with four. I kept my cool, stated that that was all I could think of at that moment, and the interviewer said that this was not an issue and moved on.
  • Back up your points with examples. Don't just say you get along well with others and can resolve conflicts, give specific examples that show that!
This is all that I can think of right now. If I realize more, I'll post here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

I hear you have till December 31st to be able to get a supplement

That's good to know, thanks!!

I hope you get a supp., followed by an immediate interview offer. Heck, if I were in admissions, I'd give you a full ride.

I hope you get a supp., followed by an immediate interview offer. Heck, if I were in admissions, I'd give you a full ride.
That would be awesome haha!

<100K cost of attendance FTW!

Have an interview tomorrow.....extremely nervous...!!

Have an interview tomorrow.....extremely nervous...!!
Good Luck!
please share your experience and if they talk about how many seats are still open and all that stuff :)

When does Maryland do interviews? From what month to what month( what is the last month they interview)?

When does Maryland do interviews? From what month to what month( what is the last month they interview)?
Most of the dental schools offer interviews from September to March (and maybe April) in the following year. I know for sure that Maryland interviews people only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Most of the dental schools offer interviews from September to March (and maybe April) in the following year. I know for sure that Maryland interviews people only on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
I haven't got a supplemental application essay from UMD yet? What does that supposed to mean?

How many students receive acceptances vs how many are interviewed? >___<

Interviewing tomorrow and realized I did a terrible job of packing! Do they have a packet at the interview that you can take notes on?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interviewing tomorrow and realized I did a terrible job of packing! Do they have a packet at the interview that you can take notes on?

They'll give you a pen+pad to take notes on. You don't need to bring anything (except yourself ;) and some ID). Relax.

They'll give you a pen+pad to take notes on. You don't need to bring anything (except yourself ;) and some ID). Relax.

Thank you! Follow-up Question: do they have a place to store luggage?

For post-December interviews, how long does it normally take to hear back?

ACCEPTED!!! I cried lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
ACCEPTED!!!!! my #1 choice . going through so many mixed emotions now :):arghh::cool::Do_O:confused: God is so good.
Interviewed on Dec 6th!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.