**Official Maryland Class of 2024 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

M_CS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to start this thread for those of you applying to Maryland this cycle. Although I ended up not choosing Maryland, I did interview and get accepted last cycle. Please feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!

Link to interview prep: University of Maryland School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Last year's thread: **Official Maryland Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

*edited by staff to include links to interview feedback & last year's thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Decided to start this thread for those of you applying to Maryland this cycle. Although I ended up not choosing Maryland, I did interview and get accepted last cycle. Please feel free to ask me any questions! Good luck everyone!
what were your gpa/dat stats and state of residency if you don't mind me asking?

Did I read correctly that one of the LOR needs to be from a dentist you have shadowed for 100 hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did I read correctly that one of the LOR needs to be from a dentist you have shadowed for 100 hours?
I just looked on their website after seeing your post. It seems to indicate they "prefer" a rec letter from a dentist you have shadowed for at least 100 hours. I am interested to know if anyone has more insight into this. Clarification on whether this is a preference or a completely disqualifies the applicant would be nice to have.

Looking for advice. They state they do not count pre-req classes over 10 years old, which would be general chemistry and a physiscs course for me; however, I did take the entire series of physical chemistry, as well as quantum mechanics and another physics course within the last 10 years. Do you think I can list physical chemistry and analytical chemistry under my chemistry pre-req since it asks for 'inorganic chemistry' and not specifically general chemistry? and Quantum mechanics under physics?

what were your gpa/dat stats and state of residency if you don't mind me asking?
Residency: FL
GPA: 3.1
DAT: 20
Took 2 years off. During that time I was a high school science teacher, earned two certifications from UF( Foundations of dental assisting & Radiology for dental auxiliaries ) and saved $$$
Shadowing Hours: ~1,000

Reactions: 1 users
I just looked on their website after seeing your post. It seems to indicate they "prefer" a rec letter from a dentist you have shadowed for at least 100 hours. I am interested to know if anyone has more insight into this. Clarification on whether this is a preference or a completely disqualifies the applicant would be nice to have.

I actually emailed them to ask if I didn't have a letter from a dentist that I shadowed for at least 100 hours, whether or not that would affect my application; they said it would not. But I think they would definitely prefer a letter from a dentist that you shadowed for a decent amount.

Very exciting to be truly kicking off the application season! Absolute best wishes to everyone.

Submitted my app last night, July 1st.

My understanding of what's required now is:
  • $90 supplemental fee
  • supplemental application (if selected after screening)
Anyone see something I am missing?

Did anyone receive supplement application ?

I haven't submitted my application yet, but I did hear that the first wave of secondaries have been sent out. Many people have also been saying that Maryland only gives secondaries to students they offer interviews to. They're also backed up with applications since they receive so many new ones everyday so it's best to be patient!

Reactions: 3 users
I received it on July 9. Submitted my application June 21.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you receive the secondary after you got an email regarding the application processed? Or were you referring to the $90 fee?

No I meant the email with the link to their secondary application. And yes I got it after i got the email that my application has been processed. I submitted the $90 at the time of AADSAS submission. Sorry for the confusion.

Have any OOS students received supplemental applications yet?
Trying not to stress :)

I have not. App complete 20JUN, verified 25JUN. Processed by MD 25JUN.

I also haven't received the supplemental application.

Submitted first day it was open.
Received my application was processed by Maryland on 6 June

Just received a secondary supplemental app in my email an hour ago!

Just received a secondary supplemental app in my email an hour ago!
What do you mean supplemental app? Do they ask you questions?
i thought the suplemental app were the questions on AADSAS.

What do you mean supplemental app? Do they ask you questions?
i thought the suplemental app were the questions on AADSAS.
Basically just asks for your demographics, the schools that you attended, whether or not you want to apply for in-state etc. Yes it seems a little redundant but I think they would just like to have it for their own records. No essay questions like the questions on AADSAS.

Basically just asks for your demographics, the schools that you attended, whether or not you want to apply for in-state etc. Yes it seems a little redundant but I think they would just like to have it for their own records. No essay questions like the questions on AADSAS.
Thank you!!!

Does UMSOD offer the IS tuition after first year?

OOS. They forwarded my app to the admissions committee on 6/25!

Just got my secondary app invite as well :)
Sent 6/20, verified 6/25. Maryland processed and forwarded for review on 6/25. OOS, MA

Just got my secondary app invite as well :)
Sent 6/20, verified 6/25. Maryland processed and forwarded for review on 6/25. OOS, MA
Nice Im also OOS MA! They processed/forwarded mine 7/9 so hopefully I get the secondary relatively soon!

Received my secondary application today. My app was processed 7/17. OOS

So far my experience with this school has been absolutely horrendous. Idk if it's just me, but does it feel like the admission committee is outright disrespectful and rude?

Have any in state applicants gotten a supplemental yet?

Supplemental received and submitted today! Does anyone know what your interview chances are after receiving the supplemental?

Supplemental received and submitted today! Does anyone know what your interview chances are after receiving the supplemental?
I believe they send out supplementals to applicants they want to interview

I got mine yesterday. Submitted my app on 6/22. In-state.

Chance of getting an interview after a supp is pretty high. Even in the past, everyone who got a supp also went in for an interview. Look out for an invitation soon!!

Reactions: 2 users
Got the supplemental today: app received 6/26; processed 6/26

Did your AADSAS status change when you got the secondary? I've been having email issues so now I'm paranoid about if I'm getting emails or not

Did your AADSAS status change when you got the secondary? I've been having email issues so now I'm paranoid about if I'm getting emails or not

I don’t think it changed. It currently says “received/under review”

So grateful and pumped! Just recieved a supplement request today!!!

Received a supplemental today! Very excited! positive thoughts for everyone in this stress laden portion of the gauntlet. :)

Reactions: 2 users