1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
  2. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

*Official May 19th 2017 MCAT Thread*

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Fortyniner85, Jan 11, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl

Feb 13, 2017
    Good luck to all of you tomorrow! Try not to stress too much. It'll be over soon!

ChopinLiszt and nsharma23 like this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ChopinLiszt

ChopinLiszt SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks! I keep telling myself to just chill.. and then I keep freaking out at random times. I'm expecting it to be harder than I expect, so that should help. :laugh:

4. nsharma23

nsharma23 2+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2014
    Guys. We did it. That is all. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

harkas and Podstar like this.
  5. Podstar

Podstar

Mar 2, 2017
    Breezed through CARS and P/S, but my C/P and B/B was a beast.

Edit: P/S was literally regurgitating terms, no passage interpretation at all.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  6. b.nguyening

b.nguyening

May 29, 2016
    I had to void the exam today. Pretty disappointed. I didn't think it was too bad though. I'm gonna retake June or July to apply this cycle.

CP: There was quite a bit of physics. Otherwise, it wasn't bad. I finished with around half an hour left.

CARS: This was very interesting this time around. All of the passages were interesting, [edited by mod - too specific]

BB: There was quite a bit of biochem and gimmes in this section. That one passage about retinal caught me off guard, but this wasn't bad. Finished with like 20 minutes left.

PS: This was my hell. There were so many 50-50 responses. I ended up voiding because of this section. The passages were long and CARS-like. I should've studied more for this with the 300 page doc.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  7. ChopinLiszt

Mar 22, 2016
    Ugh, sorry you had to void.
    I had a few 50/50 questions in all sections, but overall it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. BB was probably the worst. My CP had very little physics which I was SOO happy about.

Also, I was so much older than everyone there in an obvious and funny way. Hopefully age will be on my side.

It's going to be a long four weeks! Everyone be sure to come back and let us know how you did!

fldoctorgirl and nsharma23 like this.
  8. greaterwing

greaterwing

Apr 28, 2016
    I though C/P- was pretty hard, finished with just enough time /:
    CARS had passages that were easier to read, seemed easier than the FL's.
    B/B- was okay, lots of biochem, not much ochem which I enjoyed. I was doing really well and felt confident with all the passage except when I got to the last one. That one killed me! so much detail and soo long/convoluted!
    P/S- I feel like none of the terms I studied were one there. None of the high yield stuff were asked such the types of conditioning, any of the development stages (Freud, Erickson, Kolhberg..), theories on behavior, memory... More soc heavy. This section really caught me off guard! It was just a lot of analyzing passages.

9. Fdsa2495

Fdsa2495

Nov 27, 2015
    Wait what? Is everyones exam different or are there atleast 2 or 3 versions on the same day? Because I do not feel like we are all talking about the same exam, unless I just have a different view.

For me, I was so happy to see only a few questions for physics with simple equation or facts (buoyant force etc.) I enjoyed the chemistry sinceits actually my strength

I literally wanted to cry on the CARS section, the passages were super duper long which made me question the NS, EK, and TPR FL exams. I always read a passage in approx. 4min but these passafes were so long that I was averaging about 6min. And the passages were so uninteresting - literally was about to take a nap during it. It was brutal (I also fell hungry around the beginning which might explain the boredom)

BB super easy there was literally so many questions where I was like, am I even taking the MCAT - really simple questions (btw I never encountered these types of questions on the NS exams) also I'm a biochem major. There were atleast 5-8 basic amino acid questions which everytime I saw I got happier and happier (except for one which I guessed right, I think...)

PS - same as about literally terms but I actually enjoyed reading the passages and finished 3 min early ( I didn't go back and reveiw, just closed my eyes for 3 min before the exan was done);):sleep:

10. ChopinLiszt

Mar 22, 2016
    Ok, I'd just like to add a suggestion here to *not* look up questions you remember. So far the P/S questions I've looked up.. I got them all wrong. And it's just not helpful. Just don't do it.

IMG_6505.JPG

11. fldoctorgirl

fldoctorgirl

Feb 13, 2017
    I second this. I looked up one P/S question that I got wrong because of a stupid mistake where I totally blanked, even though I had studied the material and should've gotten it right. It's haunting me now, so I haven't looked up anything else haha

ChopinLiszt and Podstar like this.
  12. Fdsa2495

Fdsa2495

Nov 27, 2015
    I was all pumped feeling that I did so well on BB and CP, went on reddit and tears began dripping down my cheeks. People are remembering questions and I'm googling all of them and reality's hitting me

Podstar likes this.
  13. Podstar

Podstar

Mar 2, 2017
    Everyone made a stupid mistake or two or three somewhere, that's where the scale comes in. Maybe you missed the questions that aren't scored. Trust the process we will all come out okay.

BrainFlakes and fldoctorgirl like this.
  14. POA_51917

POA_51917

Dec 21, 2016
    C/P: This test version felt fair, with difficult passages, gimmes, and everything in between. Was surprised (& relieved?) about how conceptual it felt with little math involved, and especially thankful for the biochem/amino acid emphasis. Wayyy more Biochem/OChem than GChem or physics in my version. Finished this section w/no extra time to review marked passages but happy that I didn't feel like a complete dumbass.
    CARS: I scored 130 on both FL AMCAS CARS sections and I definitely do not think I replicated that score here. I couldn't get into the passages, they felt boring and answer choices were sometimes convoluted. Passage length was longer than the FL's, where I usually have ~10min to review answers--no dice. The last seconds ticked off as I checked the final question. Bummed about that.

Lunch: hahahahahaha college students are so young.

B/B: I was flying through this section asking myself "is this the real MCAT??" Then hit that text-only signaling passage... the LAST passage and time became a vacuum. I drew this damn thing out at least twice and still couldn't make heads or tails of some of those questions. Realized that I was wasting valuable time, moved to the last discretes, came back to the passage from hell, finished it up, clicked the "Review" button, scrolled down, and as the final seconds clicked off the clock and saw that apparently I hadn't answered the last discrete question. SMH, time management struggles were real.
    P/S: This section is somewhat of a blur now, I was beating myself up over the B/B mistake so my mind kept wandering. There was definitely some real nit picky obscure **** in here, I think they're trying spread the score distribution. Total wildcard section. Ended with 8 minutes to review choices and the beginnings of a legit migraine.

Stoked to be done!! Congrats everyone.

15. Fdsa2495

Fdsa2495

Nov 27, 2015
    Is it normal for CARS passages to be longer than practices exams, I always finished reading a passage in 4min on the practice exams but on this exam it took me around 6min to completely read the passage. If I have to retake, what do you guys think I should do to better my timing, I feel like it's impossible to read a passage in <4min and comprehend it

16. sammyers_sm

sammyers_sm

Jan 9, 2017
    I think the passage lengths were around the same as the regular FL, I think it's just a perception thing. The font size was definitely a lot larger than the regular pre-sets on the FL so it may have seemed longer. I do feel like I lost some time scrolling back and forth though!

Fdsa2495 likes this.
  17. WhyNotUs

WhyNotUs

May 4, 2017
    Hey there, just getting back on here now. Took the MCAT May 13th and scored. C/P and CARS felt really good. B/B was pretty tough, as was P/S. Gonna ride that scale!! :soexcited:

POA_51917 likes this.
  18. Fortyniner85

Fortyniner85

Sep 20, 2016
    I concur that C/P was super hard, CARS was pretty easy, B/B was a lil' bit harder than expected, but not a whole ton, and P/S had TONS of low yield questions that I'd never heard of before. I left the test pretty bummed, this being my second time taking it and all.

Ha, wouldn't that be hilarious is we would've hired like 100 people to take the test and just click C for all the answer choices in order to boost the curve for all of us :rofl:

POA_51917 likes this.