*Official May 19th 2017 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fortyniner85

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen a thread for this date created yet. So let the fun begin!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry that's not what you were hoping for.. it's such a wild card. You have a great GPA, though! I'm sure you'll still get some love!
I wouldn't be so concerned with the overall score, but I got a 123 in C/P which I feel will automatically screen me out of all MD programs, not sure about DO. It's that one stupid section that has me going crazy.

508. I know that doesn't seem amazing to ya'll, but to me that was a MUCH needed improvement from the 502 I got last year (especially since the average score for last years entering class at my first choice for med-school was a 508). I totally expected a 498 or something. So I may not be the brainiac like some of you, but I'm content with my score.

God is good.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I knew that my CARS section would be lower than my FL's because I felt distracted and mismanaged my time there, but I didn't necessarily expect it to be 2 points lower. Disappointed in that section, but amped about the rest. Proud of everyone here for putting themselves out there and pushing hard for a difficult goal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
500, definitely below most of you guys, but that gets me a nice scholarship to my top pod school! Hope everyone got the scores they wanted and good luck applying!!

Reactions: 3 users
518 guys!!! (130/131/127/130)
FL1: 508 after May 1 rescale: (127/129/127/125)
FL2: 514 a few days before my test (128/130/129/127)

I never dreamed I could do this well! So excited!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey! I also was really shocked by my MCAT score. I got a 518 too! :soexcited:
I took 14 practice tests but had only scored higher than a 512 once. So this was shocking. My dream score was a 516 and I came out of the test freaking out and saying that I would be satisfied with a 512. But this was such a surprise! :)
Grinding_on_MCAT, we got almost the same score but with Bio/Biochem and Chem/Phys switched!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if a 127 in the bio section but a 518 on the actual thing will hold me back from getting an interview at some of the top med schools? I know that sounds snobby to say but I am actually worried because I looked and most students score at least a 128 on each section that go to T-20 med schools.

Does anyone know if a 127 in the bio section but a 518 on the actual thing will hold me back from getting an interview at some of the top med schools? I know that sounds snobby to say but I am actually worried because I looked and most students score at least a 128 on each section that go to T-20 med schools.
I think it will just depend on your other factors - GPA, ECs, etc. I don't think they nitpick that much if everything else is great.

Won't hold you back don't worry. My friend got into a manhattan school with a 518 but a 125 in cars. They look at you holistically.

Does anyone know how important the Chem/Phys section is? I ended up getting a 514 but it was 125/129/129/131. However, I don't know if I can improve or do as well on the other sections if I take a retake. I don't really want to risk a score that doesn't improve or drops several points.

Does anyone know how important the Chem/Phys section is? I ended up getting a 514 but it was 125/129/129/131. However, I don't know if I can improve or do as well on the other sections if I take a retake. I don't really want to risk a score that doesn't improve or drops several points.
You will be just fine! 125 is usually the cutoff and C/P gets some slack so no need to worry! Plus 514 is 90+ percentile score, you should be proud! :)

519!!!!!! A full 8 points better than my best practice test. Still waiting for the "error" email....

Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn't be so concerned with the overall score, but I got a 123 in C/P which I feel will automatically screen me out of all MD programs, not sure about DO. It's that one stupid section that has me going crazy.
I got into DO with a 123 C/P. 2 interview invites. Doubtful there's a screen for most schools there

524 (130/132/131/131). Very happy. I almost passed out in the lab when I got my score. 4 points higher than my AAMC tests.

Really (happy)freaking out!! I just took the AAMC Scored 1, and the whole time I was thinking "I hope I can squeeze out a 510 on this," and I somehow managed a 519!!! 127/132/131/129! I graduated undergrad 16 years ago and haven't been feeling too confident with my content review and study hours, so I was very surprised. I hope that doesn't seem like an annoying brag, but I had to tell someone who would get it, and I don't really know any premeds. Haha
AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Congratulations on your score. I recently took the MCAT in May and did horrible on the CARs section. I am in my late 30s, have a 2 year old son and doing a Masters degree. I am going to be writing the exam in September again. Can you please let me know what you did to prepare for the CARs section, how you worked on your timing and what strategy you used. Thank you in advance.

Congratulations on your score. I recently took the MCAT in May and did horrible on the CARs section. I am in my late 30s, have a 2 year old son and doing a Masters degree. I am going to be writing the exam in September again. Can you please let me know what you did to prepare for the CARs section, how you worked on your timing and what strategy you used. Thank you in advance.

I just sent you a PM about this, but I recommend first reading the passage quickly, but deeper than a superficial skimming. Then, with each question, go back to the passage for evidence to answer each question. You should be able to find actual evidence in the passage for pretty much every correct answer choice. The correct choice is frequently a rewording of something in the passage. I did worse on my actual CARS than I did on my practice tests.. pretty bummed about that. But sometimes on tests, you just get vague answer choices and overthink things. Look for the evidence in the passage!