**Official MWU-IL interview/acceptance/rejection thread**

I received it too! For those who received the demographic update, was it just the question "were you born in the United States?" That's the only one I had

Also did people who haven't been invited for an interview yet receive the update on the MDW portal?
I had a few questions maybe cause I wasn't born in the US? Lol were you?

Members don't see this ad.

So has anyone sent the interviewers a thank you email/note following your interview? What's the best way to go about doing this? I feel like its impersonal to just send a generic "thank you" to the admissions office to forward to the professors/faculty since I don't have their names or anything.

So has anyone sent the interviewers a thank you email/note following your interview? What's the best way to go about doing this? I feel like its impersonal to just send a generic "thank you" to the admissions office to forward to the professors/faculty since I don't have their names or anything.

This is what I did because I didn't have names either, they responded though and seemed extremely polite!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Midwestern IL on anyone's AADSAS school decisions list? I don't have it on mine, and I'm a little worried

Those who have interviewed; How hard is it to get to the campus and is the building that were supposed to be at easy to find? I am not from Chicago area so I was just curious.

Those who have interviewed; How hard is it to get to the campus and is the building that were supposed to be at easy to find? I am not from Chicago area so I was just curious.
I rented a car from o'hare and stayed at a hotel in Downers Grove. The campus is easy to get to, the security people will tell you where to park and which building to go to, parking was free.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you guys feel like you did well in all 7 rooms ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can Midwestern-IL dental school interview a candidate with a BCP of a 2.77 or 2.75?

Can Midwestern-IL dental school interview a candidate with a BCP of a 2.77 or 2.75?
I believe the cutoff is 3.0 because they have a new dean. Atleast that's what I've heard.

No, that is the cutoff for Midwestern-AZ not Midwestern-IL.
The Midwestern IL website says all GPA's have to be above 2.75. I'm not sure what GPA you have cause you said 2.77 and 2.75 lol. So if it's 2.75 and their website says "must be over 2.75" you're probably gonna have to ask. But if you have a 2.77 then you'd officially have nothing to worry about.

The Midwestern IL website says all GPA's have to be above 2.75. I'm not sure what GPA you have cause you said 2.77 and 2.75 lol. So if it's 2.75 and their website says "must be over 2.75" you're probably gonna have to ask.
What about a 2.77?

What about a 2.77?
Since that's over their "must be over 2.75" statement on their website, you would technically have nothing to worry about. Cause you meet that technical requirement.

Since that's over their "must be over 2.75" statement on their website, you would technically have nothing to worry about. Cause you meet that technical requirement.
So does that mean there is a possibility of me being interviewed? My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT.

So does that mean there is a possibility of me being interviewed? My DATs are 18 AA, 19 TS, 19 PAT.
Technically yes, their website states that the minimum "expected" scores on the AA, TS, and PAT section is 17.

Technically yes, their website states that the minimum "expected" scores on the AA, TS, and PAT section is 17.
What happens if you have an RC score below a 17, which is a 15?

What happens if you have an RC score below a 17, which is a 15?
Like I said, the website actually says a 17 in AA,RC,TS,PAT is the minimum score expected for these sections. They didn't mention QR so I would really ask what that would mean for you because it says minimum expected and that doesn't really concretely mean it's a cutoff, but you should call tomorrow and ask if that means it's a cutoff or not.

Like I said, the website actually says a 17 in AA,RC,TS,PAT is the minimum score expected for these sections. They didn't mention QR so I would really ask what that would mean for you because it says minimum expected and that doesn't really concretely mean it's a cutoff, but you should call tomorrow and ask if that means it's a cutoff or not.
I asked them and they said its not a cutoff, its the competitive scores. As long as you meet the gpa requirements, they will review your application bottom line. To be competitive you need a 17 or higher in the AA, RC, TS, and PAT. It says that on their website. Read below.
  1. Competitive exam scores on the Dental Aptitude Test (DAT).
  • Scores on the DAT must be submitted directly to AADSAS
  • Scores in the area of 17 or higher will be expected for the Academic Average, Reading Comprehension, Perceptual Ability, and Total Science sections
  • Only DAT exam scores earned from tests taken no more than three years prior to matriculation are acceptable

I asked them and they said its not a cutoff, its the competitive scores. As long as you meet the gpa requirements, they will review your application bottom line. To be competitive you need a 17 or higher in the AA, RC, TS, and PAT. It says that on their website. Read below.
  1. Competitive exam scores on the Dental Aptitude Test (DAT).
  • Scores on the DAT must be submitted directly to AADSAS
  • Scores in the area of 17 or higher will be expected for the Academic Average, Reading Comprehension, Perceptual Ability, and Total Science sections
  • Only DAT exam scores earned from tests taken no more than three years prior to matriculation are acceptable
You just repeated what I said lmao. I said in the message above that they're the minimum expected score and that doesn't mean they're an official cutoff and that you should call and confirm to be 100% sure that it doesn't mean an official cutoff
I'm also confused if you asked them why you'd ask here lol

Does MWU IL typically send out rejections early on? (to those who haven't interviewed)

Here's the statement from School's website:
"To be eligible for enrollment, an applicant must earn a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and must possess a science and cumulative GPA over 2.75 (although 3.20 will generally be competitively necessary) on a 4.00 scale.
A minimum biology/chemistry/physics (BCP) science and cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, as calculated by AADSAS, is required to receive a supplemental application. A bachelor's degree must be completed before starting the program."

This should roughly answer your question. Keep in mind that in the first paragraph, they are talking about eligibility for enrollment and not requirement for interview invites. They are very closely related, but they are not the same. Technically you may get accepted with GPA below 2.75, but you gotta have to raise it above that level to enroll. However, to receive a supplemental you gotta have AADSAS-calculated BCP and cumulative GPA above 2.75... so... there's that.

TL;DR: The "cutoff" IS 2.75. There is still a chance, but it is rather low.

I believe the cutoff is 3.0 because they have a new dean. Atleast that's what I've heard.

The "cutoff" for this year is still 2.75, but it will be 3.0 next year. The dean is still the same; still bald, still tall, still have a deep voice.

"To be eligible for enrollment, an applicant must earn a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and must possess a science and cumulative GPA over 2.75 (although 3.20 will generally be competitively necessary) on a 4.00 scale.
A minimum biology/chemistry/physics (BCP) science and cumulative GPA of 2.75 on a 4.00 scale, as calculated by AADSAS, is required to receive a supplemental application. A bachelor's degree must be completed before starting the program."

This should roughly answer your question. Keep in mind that in the first paragraph, they are talking about eligibility for enrollment and not requirement for interview invites. They are very closely related, but they are not the same. Technically you may get accepted with GPA below 2.75, but you gotta have to raise it above that level to enroll. However, to receive a supplemental you gotta have AADSAS-calculated BCP and cumulative GPA above 2.75... so... there's that.

The "cutoff" for this year is still 2.75, but it will be 3.0 next year. The dean is still the same; still bald, still tall, still have a deep voice.
Who said that the cutoff will be 3.0?

I'm going to chime in because I'm curious myself - my stats are in line with MWU-IL (19 AA, 19 TS, 20 RC, 21 PAT), and I'm very confident about PS, LORs. However my OChem was a 15, as I was only able to get in one semester of Orgo and it was a 5-week condensed course this past summer.

What's the take on how that 15 will affect things, despite all of the scores they actually reference (AA, TS, RC, PAT) being at or above average for the school?

What are your GPA stats?

Not sure if this was directed at me…
*EDIT - sorry, got confused, it wasn't directed at me

I'm a non-traditional applicant, 35 years old. Got my bachelors degree in Italian from Washington University in 2000, then got accepted to a MA/PhD program in Italian studies to the University of Chicago in 2005 (I backed out of the program a couple months after starting - was young, newly engaged, & had a job offer.)

In total my overall is 3.34, science is 3.38, but BCP is 4.0

Who said that the cutoff will be 3.0?

First off, I need to let you know that as a student ambassador who help guiding the candidates during the interview process, I know some stuff.
However, I only have a minuscule influence on the admission process (I am a nobody!). So, don't expect anything from me! lol

To answer the question, I got the statement from Dr. Jham, Associate Dean (https://www.mwuclinics.com/il/di-profiles?Profile=160) during our Career Day here at MWU-IL.
I believe, they also talked about it during one of the interview days.

Yup :) I mixed up Midwestern AZ and IL on the thread ;) but I definitely said the "cutoff" is over 2.75 according to the website.

I'm going to chime in because I'm curious myself - my stats are in line with MWU-IL (19 AA, 19 TS, 20 RC, 21 PAT), and I'm very confident about PS, LORs. However my OChem was a 15, as I was only able to get in one semester of Orgo and it was a 5-week condensed course this past summer.

What's the take on how that 15 will affect things, despite all of the scores they actually reference (AA, TS, RC, PAT) being at or above average for the school?

Like I said, All I've seen on their website is that the minimum "suggested" is a score 17. But I guess your orgo score can be offset or considered through many factors in your app .. I mean if you have a solid GPA ECs, PS, and overall DAT or TS score then it's probably less of a big deal. This is reasonable speculation though.

For those who have interviewed already: How were the MMI? Do they ask specific questions or are they conversational? Is there a time limit for you to answer? Do they review your file as they ask you questions or are they just close file? Thanks

For those who have interviewed already: How were the MMI? Do they ask specific questions or are they conversational? Is there a time limit for you to answer? Do they review your file as they ask you questions or are they just close file? Thanks

MMI had very random, broad topics but you have a lot to talk about in each room- the 7 minutes will fly by. It was pretty conversational with about half of the interviewers, but I never felt like I was being grilled or intimidated by the questions. And I think it's closed file ?

I am applying to Midwestern Dental School in December so would applying late be a problem as long as I meet the GPA requirements of 2.75, am I still in good shape?

I am applying to Midwestern-IL dental school in December, so would applying late be a problem as long as I meet the GPA requirements of 2.75 or above? Btw when do Midwestern-IL dental school conducts interviews from what month to what month?

I am applying to Midwestern-IL dental school in December, so would applying late be a problem as long as I meet the GPA requirements of 2.75 or above? Btw when do Midwestern-IL dental school conducts interviews from what month to what month?

It won't put you in too much disadvantage.

I believe they started interviewing in October or late September and they will keep interviewing until the class is completely filled. I think, last year, it went to March.

MMI had very random, broad topics but you have a lot to talk about in each room- the 7 minutes will fly by. It was pretty conversational with about half of the interviewers, but I never felt like I was being grilled or intimidated by the questions. And I think it's closed file ?
its closed file in all but one room

well it depends what your gpa is and the rest of your app... I know individuals with 3.6+ gpas and 20 AA that still haven't got any love from Midwestern IL. Sitting here with my 3.4 hoping for the chance of an interview and I applied back in July.

how good of a chance at acceptance do you have at MWU IL if you've been interviewed and you're in-state? anyone know?

how good of a chance at acceptance do you have at MWU IL if you've been interviewed and you're in-state? anyone know?

Last year 109 interviewed instate and 86 accepted.... chances are really high but yeah ... you never know

Last year 109 interviewed instate and 86 accepted.... chances are really high but yeah ... you never know

Probably right, but as stated by the admission ppl, they give no preference to in-state candidates. It just happen that there are a lot more applicants from IL.

They would interview about 400-450 applicants. They need to fill up a class of 130-ish. A number of applicants will refuse the offer. So, I say, your chance of getting accepted is pretty good once you get the interview.

Good luck to you all! :)

well it depends what your gpa is and the rest of your app... I know individuals with 3.6+ gpas and 20 AA that still haven't got any love from Midwestern IL. Sitting here with my 3.4 hoping for the chance of an interview and I applied back in July.
same and I applied in June.

Is there any weight placed on science/BCP GPA? I have a 20 DAT and 3.7+ sciences.. but a 3.1 overall .. anyone interview with similar low ogpa stats?

how do you get notified on/after december 1st? email? or call? and if email, does it go out at midnight ?