***Official NYU Class of 2014 Acceptance Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not heard from NYU yet that has interviewed? I guess this question will be better answered tomorrow after the mail comes. Just curious to see how long it takes for all their letters to be sent out.

Members don't see this ad.

Got my big white envelope today in the mail! (houston, tx)

also got in! are you guys worried about their large class size at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's ready to start talking roommates?!

I think, like anything else, the huge class has its ups and downs. It's more of what you prefer. You'll have good connections, maybe see more, more people interaction, tons of patients, etc. But also it could get more impersonal and some other things. Again, it's really what works for you

GOT IN!!!! TOOK A WHILE, BUT BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!! MTD, did you decide yet?

I have no idea where to go. NYU has been a top choice bc I like the facilities/clinical, but I'm worried about chair situation, not getting enough faculty help with such a large class size. My top picks right now are between Buffalo and NYU too. If only UBuffalo was located right in NYC, it would be amazing lol.

GOT IN!!!! TOOK A WHILE, BUT BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!! MTD, did you decide yet?
Congrats man! That's awesome!

And yeah, I think so. I'm pretty sure I'm going with UMDNJ over NYU. I still have that interview at Columbia though. I'm still leaning UMDNJ over that too, but I'm gonna interview and see what I think. How about you?

I'm in Tampa. I applied late so this was the only pre dec interview I got. Feels soooooo good to know what you're doing for the next couple of years!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Good luck to all

I'm in Tampa. I applied late so this was the only pre dec interview I got. Feels soooooo good to know what you're doing for the next couple of years!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Good luck to all

Do you have a top choice though, assuming you get in other places? Congrats again :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone not heard from NYU yet that has interviewed? I guess this question will be better answered tomorrow after the mail comes. Just curious to see how long it takes for all their letters to be sent out.

nothing here today:confused:
(Wisconsin)

Are there any other acceptances for the people that I interviewed with? October 8th?

Just curious, how much roughly do students at NYU will be paying for 4 years?? Including EVERYTHING

Just curious, how much roughly do students at NYU will be paying for 4 years?? Including EVERYTHING

Taking into account housing and living expenses, they estimate about 90k/year, so you're looking at somewhere in the 360-370k range when you leave (assuming minor inflation).

Taking into account housing and living expenses, they estimate about 90k/year, so you're looking at somewhere in the 360-370k range when you leave (assuming minor inflation).

Oh, I thought it would be close to near 400K, but I guess it's not that far off from Pacific. It's def not USC or UPenn though. Their figures scare me, especially if you're even thinking about specializing later on.

Oh, I thought it would be close to near 400K, but I guess it's not that far off from Pacific. It's def not USC or UPenn though. Their figures scare me, especially if you're even thinking about specializing later on.

What do you mean, isnt it about the same??

Hey!! I am definitely attending NYU in the fall and made a facebook group! So for everyone planning on attending, join the group!! (search NYU dental 2014) Looking forward to meeting all of you!

any Canadians still waiting for the letter?

What do you mean, isnt it about the same??

NYU is 400k for 4 years (they say 380k but if you add a little more personal exp) + interest.

NYU is more than Penn by about 7k a year if I remember correctly. I think UPenn is 83k.

Does anyone know how much NYU looks at the transcript you send them after you have already been accepted?
Say if you have a high overall GPA, but you happen to not do as well during your last semester as you did in previous semesters, but still maintain your high overall GPA.

Hey!! I am definitely attending NYU in the fall and made a facebook group! So for everyone planning on attending, join the group!! (search NYU dental 2014) Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Tiffany?

After all that anticipation over when people received their official acceptance letter, I just thought I would start a new thread for people who plan on attending and/or are considering attending.

Ask questions and let's start getting to know each other!

I'm from NY and will be there in the fall! (YAY!) :soexcited::highfive:

p.s. Join the facebook group -- search "NYU college of dentistry"

i got in...im from Stony Brook, NY...congrats!

Hey everyone, just got in last week myself!
I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd try it here as well.
Does anyone know how much NYU looks at the transcript you send them after you have already been accepted?
Say if you have a high overall GPA, but you happen to not do as well during your last semester as you did in previous semesters, but still maintain your high overall GPA. How seriously would they take that?

Hey everyone, just got in last week myself!
I posted this on another thread, but thought I'd try it here as well.
Say if you have a high overall GPA, but you happen to not do as well during your last semester as you did in previous semesters, but still maintain your high overall GPA. How seriously would they take that?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think as long as you maintain C's or above like at other schools, you're fine?

As in... a B average won't result in an offer being rescinded

Are you guys worried about tuition and living expenses at all? I really like the school but I cannot seem to look past that.

Are you guys worried about tuition and living expenses at all? I really like the school but I cannot seem to look past that.

I think the whole NYU dental program is worth it personally. Great diversity of patients, new tech., faculty seemed great on the interview. Big classes = great networking. Sure it's a little more expensive, but many people recognize NYU as a great school.

I think the whole NYU dental program is worth it personally. Great diversity of patients, new tech., faculty seemed great on the interview. Big classes = great networking. Sure it's a little more expensive, but many people recognize NYU as a great school.

I think you are correct that many people recognize NYU as a great school, but the dental school can be different. I recently spoke to an ortho resident who mentioned how everyone "poo poos" on NYU, and asked if they had any merit. Frankly, I don't think they do. But within the dental school community, it doesn't have the brightest reputation that I think it should. I shadowed a dentist once who was disgusted by NYU and suggested I didn't go regardless. He went to Columbia. Biased? Probably.

I have two major complaints about NYU: no digital charting, and no digital radiography. Other than that, I think it is a stand up school.

Does anybody know just how much more expensive NYU is than Columbia?? I thougth I heard somebody say when it was all said and done that NYU's tuition makes it roughly $20,000 more a year than Columbia, can anybody verify this? Also, for anybody that lives in or new NYC, how would you describe the location of each school individually?

dless. He went to Columbia. Biased? Probably.

I have two major complaints about NYU: no digital charting, and no digital radiography. Other than that, I think it is a stand up school.

DIGITAL IS COMING, my friend!!!

Also, for anybody that lives in or new NYC, how would you describe the location of each school individually?

Columbia = not too high up there, da hood (well, kinda)

NYU = way better neighborhood, much higher class

Columbia isn't in a good part of the city at all. The city is definitely accessible but I wouldn't walk around there by myself. NYU is in the heart of NYC--the east village, lower east side, union square, and gramercy park are all within walking distance and are wonderful! I don't necessarily think your decision should come down to which area is better since they're both NYC, but if it is about that then there's no contest--NYU

Yes, but by the time I'm there? I hope...Stony Brook has had digital charts for a while now...I believe were the first school to switch.

soon, in a year or two. i was told that because they have so many patients, they are unable to contain all the digital radiographs on the servers right now.
don't know how true it is, but i heard it from a d4 there.

All of the renovated clinics are digital capable, all they need is digital receivers.

soon, in a year or two. i was told that because they have so many patients, they are unable to contain all the digital radiographs on the servers right now.
don't know how true it is, but i heard it from a d4 there.

All of the renovated clinics are digital capable, all they need is digital receivers.

Digital radiography and charting don't need to go hand in hand; they could have digital charting to begin with.

Does anyone remember hearing about the PDA on the interview? I don't remember much being said.

Hand held devices (Personal Digital Assistants, PDAs) are used by students to store and retrieve information during lecture, pre-clinic and clinic. Students in clinic use them as a chairside resource to retrieve a large variety of information including drug and drug interaction information and patient education materials. For lectures and pre-clinic, students use these devices to take notes, review Word and PowerPoint files, and prepare for lab procedures as well as to view videos of procedures.
- NYU website

Does anybody know just how much more expensive NYU is than Columbia?? I thougth I heard somebody say when it was all said and done that NYU's tuition makes it roughly $20,000 more a year than Columbia, can anybody verify this? Also, for anybody that lives in or new NYC, how would you describe the location of each school individually?
According to their websites, NYU will come to about $15,000 more per year (90 at NYU vs. 75 at CU). The location for NYU is definitely better, but as someone said, don't make your decision so much based on that.