*OFFICIAL Post-Acceptance Withdrawal Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tropicana100

Pure Juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those holding multiple acceptances, wouldn't it be kind if you opened up spots for anxious applicants hoping for interviews or to get of waitlists?

Creighton: Tropicana100 (10/22)

Members don't see this ad.

So, what would you like posted here (there is already that "unofficial" "where are you withdrawing from?" thread)? Just people who decline an acceptance? Or decline an interview? Or just withdraw their application from a school with no interview or acceptance scheduled? I'm assuming the first two, but it might be helpful if you specify. Maybe edit your post above to clarify?

So, what would you like posted here (there is already that "unofficial" "where are you withdrawing from?" thread)? Just people who decline an acceptance? Or decline an interview? Or just withdraw their application from a school with no interview or acceptance scheduled? I'm assuming the first two, but it might be helpful if you specify. Maybe edit your post above to clarify?

The thread is titled "post-acceptance" so I intended it to mean after people were interviewed and accepted. This is for when you get a card in the mail along with your acceptance, and then check off withdrawal. Info about people declining interview offers isn't as useful, since the school will simply find someone else to interview pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thread is titled "post-acceptance" so I intended it to mean after people were interviewed and accepted. This is for when you get a card in the mail along with your acceptance, and then check off withdrawal. Info about people declining interview offers isn't as useful, since the school will simply find someone else to interview pretty quickly.

Ah, thanks. I just read "post-acceptance" as once you've been accepted SOMEWHERE, not necessarily at the school you're withdrawing from. My bad. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah, thanks. I just read "post-acceptance" as once you've been accepted SOMEWHERE, not necessarily at the school you're withdrawing from. My bad. Thanks for the clarification.

It sounds like OP meant the opposite...that is, s/he was accepted by Creighton, but declined the acceptance.

Ahem... U R Pb...

but you got into schools already so go you!

For those holding multiple acceptances, wouldn't be kind if you opened up spots for anxious applicants hoping for interviews or to get of waitlists?

I'm glad you're starting this thread Trop! When are you going to withdraw from VCU, the one that is actually useful for me? hahaha :laugh:

Btw, how was MCW (vs UW in Madison)?

I'm glad you're starting this thread Trop! When are you going to withdraw from VCU, the one that is actually useful for me? hahaha :laugh:

Btw, how was MCW (vs UW in Madison)?

I'm going to try to hold onto a minimum of 2 schools at a time, as to have a back-up plan. Hang in there, I will open that VCU spot when the opportunity arises. I won't accept the spot either until very close to the end of the 2-week deadline.

MCW is was pretty awesome. you're going in Dec right? It's a great interview experience - you should drop into a morning class since the day doesn't start until noon.

Rochester: EggPLANTman (10.22)
SUNY Buffalo: EggPLANTman (10.22)

Thanks, I'm really excited by it. I do hope they give me some financial aid though, otherwise I don't know if I can afford to go there over a cheaper state school...

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah so this thread might be a bit premature. hopefully this thread will start filling up in a couple months, esp in Dec. when whole bunch of acceptances come out before the holiday. please resurrect this thread when the time comes! :luck::luck::luck:

Rosalind Franklin: Phoenix. (10/23)
SUNY Upstate: scrubs386 (10/16)
Tufts: scrubs386 (10/16)

East Tennessee State: elderjack21 (10/23)

Freed the slot up for someone else early in the cycle. I think it is kind of lame to hold multiple acceptances for very long, why wait until May15th?

Best of luck fellow SDNers.

Freed the slot up for someone else early in the cycle. I think it is kind of lame to hold multiple acceptances for very long, why wait until May15th?

Best of luck fellow SDNers.

Thanks for doing that.

It is lame to hold multiple acceptances unless you are genuinely undecided. It's especially rude if you are an URM or non-trad since they are likely to (unofficially) have a certain number range of open spots allocated for your subgroup.

Some people like to wait and see the financial aid package offered in March/April.

Yeah, totally. Of course, you guys should also pay attention to what the tuition is when you go on interviews - it'll give you a good estimate of what kind of package you'll get. Then do a quick cost-benefit analysis. An extra $4000/semester won't keep you from giving up your top choice school, right? Well, that's just me. I understand that some people would rather choose among 8 financial packages and weigh in all the possibilities.

Elderjack, could you please tell ETSU to send that acceptance in the direction of your good friend OCallag? :D Congrats on your good work!

Elderjack, could you please tell ETSU to send that acceptance in the direction of your good friend OCallag? :D Congrats on your good work!

Thanks! If I had the power to do that...no offense, but I would probably sell the slot on ebay to the highest bidder to pay for my schooling!

Phoenix, I guess waiting for the the financial aid package is a legit reason. You have convinced me to hold all my acceptances from here on out! Hope that doesn't piss off the other people trying to get in, but they will have to wait till the 15th of May. :) j/k

From what I have gathered at most of my interviews though is that the vast majority of what you get will be in loans. For me, all of the schools except my state one cost around 40k a year in tuition alone, and they didn't seem to suggest that more than a couple thousand in scholarships would be available. Uncle Sam has a 280k scholarship out there (about) if I am interested though (HPSP).

I will have to search some other threads though to see what some of the students say on the topic of financial aid packages.

On a purely speculative note, I wonder if next cycle AMCAS will change the rules a bit?

In light of the fact that more people are applying earlier, it would suggest that the system might need to be tweaked (earlier decision date). If people are holding on to multiple acceptances throughout the process, it's going to cause some scrambling to be done by schools after March.

At any rate, I have no evidence or proof, just the usual SDN speculation (i.e. the applicant pool has increased 20% this year!).

Elderjack, thanks for freeing up ETSU.

you might notice that some SDNers have >10 interviews which may result in a large number of acceptances. imagine how chaotic waitlist movement will be if they all held on to all of their acceptances until May. well, i guess on the bright side, there might be more waitlist movement compared to last year.

you might notice that some SDNers have >10 interviews which may result in a large number of acceptances. imagine how chaotic waitlist movement will be if they all held on to all of their acceptances until May. well, i guess on the bright side, there might be more waitlist movement compared to last year.

I have thought that because the MCAT is offered more often, more applicants will be applying this cycle and subsequent cycles. I have a suspicion however that some schools will accept more students than they did before. Maybe not significant but a growth of like 5 - 10 students per incoming classes. Also, I suspect that DO acceptance and matriculation will grow this cycle as well. From what I have heard, the new med schools opening up like FIU, UCF, Hofstra, and others will only begin to matriculate enough students to make a difference by the application cycle of 2011 or later because they are only accepting 40 students for their first couple of application cycles.

I have thought that because the MCAT is offered more often, more applicants will be applying this cycle and subsequent cycles. I have a suspicion however that some schools will accept more students than they did before. Maybe not significant but a growth of like 5 - 10 students per incoming classes. Also, I suspect that DO acceptance and matriculation will grow this cycle as well. From what I have heard, the new med schools opening up like FIU, UCF, Hofstra, and others will only begin to matriculate enough students to make a difference by the application cycle of 2011 or later because they are only accepting 40 students for their first couple of application cycles.

I don't think a significantly higher number of applicants will apply (in the end I think the statistical growth will mirror that of previous years), I think a sigificantly higher number of applicants will apply early.

So this year's timeline is basically on crack. However, if a similar pool of people are sucking up a sigificant amouunt of the interviews/acceptances, it's going to make for a hectic spring.

Again, baseless speculation on my part.

You may have a point about the early applications.

A buddy of mine at UF took the MCAT in late April and made a 30. He was unsatisfied with his respectable score so he took it again in June as well as finished his primary. He had his AMCAS Verifird in July and most of his of his secondaries in turned in in July/August. He hasn't told me what he made in his MCAT but I suspect it is really good I suspect. In September alone he had 4 interviews and two in October. I wonder if every applicant interview early is like him then, alot of the interviews that take place early on are pointless since they are interviewing a lot of students who have no real conviction to attend that school. I do make jokes to him since he is accepted at 3 schools and still is scheduled to go to more interviews. So, I tell him to take his camera and treat it like a vacation.

Also the new MCAT may not have changed the number of individuals applying by very much, but I think maybe it has potentially allowed applicants to increase the number of schools they plan on applying. If I could have a little higher MCAT, I probably would have increased the number. Although I think the increase in applications will be felt by the more prestigious private and public schools.

You may have a point about the early applications.

A buddy of mine at UF took the MCAT in late April and made a 30. He was unsatisfied with his respectable score so he took it again in June as well as finished his primary. He had his AMCAS Verifird in July and most of his of his secondaries in turned in in July/August. He hasn't told me what he made in his MCAT but I suspect it is really good I suspect. In September alone he had 4 interviews and two in October. I wonder if every applicant interview early is like him then, alot of the interviews that take place early on are pointless since they are interviewing a lot of students who have no real conviction to attend that school. I do make jokes to him since he is accepted at 3 schools and still is scheduled to go to more interviews. So, I tell him to take his camera and treat it like a vacation.

Also the new MCAT may not have changed the number of individuals applying by very much, but I think maybe it has potentially allowed applicants to increase the number of schools they plan on applying. If I could have a little higher MCAT, I probably would have increased the number. Although I think the increase in applications will be felt by the more prestigious private and public schools.

I think you are correct. I am a numbers geek, so I am interested to see how it all shakes out and how the rules change as a result.

At any rate, I don't want to hijack this thread, so I'll let it return to it's original intent.

I was accepted to MCW, so I will be withdrawing from VCU pretty soon (as promised). Perhaps this will help those of you who were deferred to the December acceptance batch. good luck y'all. :luck::luck::luck:

I was accepted to MCW, so I will be withdrawing from VCU pretty soon (as promised). Perhaps this will help those of you who were deferred to the December acceptance batch. good luck y'all. :luck::luck::luck:

Congrats!

Some people like to wait and see the financial aid package offered in March/April.
Is March/April typically when you are told about financial aid packages? What is the usual timeline for this? You get accepted a bunch of places in Oct/Nov/Dec and then right before you have to pick a single one in May schools dangle some candy in front of you? ANY input on this is welcome since I know NOTHING in this regard.

yeah, so I've been contemplating this recently - does withdrawing NOW actually help anyone else out? if I were to withdraw in May, then i will open a spot for a waitlisted applicant. if I withdraw now, either i will open a spot for a currently waitlisted applicant or an applicant who would otherwise be waitlisted in the future. thus, my holding multiple acceptances doesn't actually deny anyone of their chances of getting in, right?? after all, one person can only go to one school. should i wait for financial aid packages?

yeah, so I've been contemplating this recently - does withdrawing NOW actually help anyone else out? if I were to withdraw in May, then i will open a spot for a waitlisted applicant. if I withdraw now, either i will open a spot for a currently waitlisted applicant or an applicant who would otherwise be waitlisted in the future. thus, my holding multiple acceptances doesn't actually deny anyone of their chances of getting in, right?? after all, one person can only go to one school. should i wait for financial aid packages?

Yes, because schools may offer more interviews and/or acceptances if they aren't filling their class. I heard MCW had this exact problem last year, people held too many acceptances and they thought their class was full, and started rejecting people and didn't waitlist that many people, and they ended up having too few people on their waitlist to fill their class and accepted people that were rejected.

I heard MCW had this exact problem last year, people held too many acceptances and they thought their class was full, and started rejecting people and didn't waitlist that many people, and they ended up having too few people on their waitlist to fill their class and accepted people that were rejected.
So what wound up happening? Smaller class or an extra 30 dummies that every other school in the nation passed on matriculated?

So what wound up happening? Smaller class or an extra 30 dummies that every other school in the nation passed on matriculated?

IIRC, They offered people they'd rejected until they filled the class.

Tropicana, I think it helps both the school and students because if they didn't feel like they were getting the yield they wanted, they'd increase the amount of interviewees or not reject as many people after interviews.

For those holding multiple acceptances, wouldn't it be kind if you opened up spots for anxious applicants hoping for interviews or to get of waitlists?

I figured you would withdraw from there just based on your accepted list.

Bump.

Creighton: Tropicana100 (10/22) IzzyMarieDMD (11/7)

SUNY Downstate: NycNerd

Temple: wampeter (11/8)

i read the title of this thread to mean that this is a place for people to get their sdn fix after getting an acceptance, or at least getting through the rest of the school year after finding out you got into med school. :)

Nsxracing - Good luck on the next VCU decision date!

Creighton:
Tropicana100 (10/22) IzzyMarieDMD (11/7)
Virginia Commonwealth: Tropicana100 (11/8)

Creighton:
Tropicana100 (10/22) )

Nsxracing - Good luck on the next VCU decision date!

Creighton:
Tropicana100 (10/22) IzzyMarieDMD (11/7)

Thanks buddy!

Tufts: scrubs386 (10/16), Aynsl156 (10/30)
Virginia Commonwealth: Tropicana100 (11/8)[/quote]

Ayns,

Did you like WSU a lot more or was it a financial decision? I know Tufts is really expensive.

C'mon guys, let's get some of those Florida Schools on there! :)

SUNY Downstate: NycNerd, yellowumbrella (11/19)
Tufts: scrubs386 (10/16), Aynsl156 (10/30)
Tulane: yellowumbrella (11/19)