Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2018 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
April Fool's Day to be precise.
Does anything like this actually occur at some schools? Anything to back up that reasoning (just besides hope)?

“Also, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?”

Members don't see this ad.

Does anything like this actually occur at some schools? Anything to back up that reasoning (just besides hope)?

“Also, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?”
Yes go back just the last 1-2 pages and you can read all about it through the thread, or just look up the AAMC Traffic Rules.

Yes go back just the last 1-2 pages and you can read all about it through the thread, or just look up the AAMC Traffic Rules.
Yeah I know the rules but if you’re on a WL and have an acceptance elsewhere, are you less likely to get in off that WL than someone else who has 0 acceptances so far is my question.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I know the rules but if you’re on a WL and have an acceptance elsewhere, are you less likely to get in off that WL than someone else who has 0 acceptances so far is my question.
In my opinion, possibly. However that would depend on lots of variables as well as the individual school’s committee.
Does the school believe you’re still more likely to pick them than the one you have an acceptance to? Have you demonstrated this through letters of interest or intent? How badly do they want you to be part of their class? How does your individual app and interview score compare to others remaining on their waitlist?

I would say that it would be one of many factors, but I’m just an applicant so I don’t really know. I’m guessing that the later it gets (June, July) the more likely a school would go for someone on their WL with zero acceptances.

Last edited:
This has little influence on the decision.
Stronger candidates (with or without other acceptances) will be called first.

Reactions: 4 users
This has little influence on the decision.
Stronger candidates (with or without other acceptances) will be called first.

For unranked waitlists, is it necessarily stronger applicants or applicants who fit similar profiles of those accepted who turned down their seat? (aka maintaining the diversity of the class)

For unranked waitlists, is it necessarily stronger applicants or applicants who fit similar profiles of those accepted who turned down their seat? (aka maintaining the diversity of the class)
It it the strongest candidate that helps fulfill the mission.
If there are no women in the class after April 30th, you can bet that women will be pulled first (starting with the strongest candidate).

New to this thread because I didn't know it existed. I've had 3 Is, 1 post-I R, and 2 WLs (one to a state school IS, the other to a out of state school OOS). It's been a long year...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Update. Just rejected from my top choice. That leaves only one more pending decision which I also think will be a rejection. Hopefully my WL comes through or I get another interview.

Update. Just rejected from my top choice. That leaves only one more pending decision which I also think will be a rejection. Hopefully my WL comes through or I get another interview.
I’m sorry man I’ll keep
My fingers crossed for you

Does the time of your interview have any influence of being pulled off the waitlist? Currently waitlisted at 3 allopathic schools, one of which I interviewed at back in September.

Does the time of your interview have any influence of being pulled off the waitlist? Currently waitlisted at 3 allopathic schools, one of which I interviewed at back in September.
I think it depends on the nature of the waitlist at those schools. Some waitlists are ranked, some aren't. If the waitlists are ranked, then I don't think the time of interview would matter much at all. Unranked, maybe, but who knows?

Members don't see this ad :)
we need a what are my chances section where we can list the schools we are WL at and see if people know how much movement they have- I check old threads but its hard to tell sometimes

Reactions: 7 users
Just got pre II rejection number 30 the other day with 1 pre II hold, 2 IIs with 1 WL and have 5-7 weeks to hear from the other. 6 more schools in silence but I thought this cycle was going to go much better.....
That is rough, I really hope you get in this cycle!

That is rough, I really hope you get in this cycle!
Looking back, my activities section is what did me in. Meh descriptions and meh activities on my primary. Increased a LOT over the app cycle (like 1300 research hours when I had 0, more volunteering and shadowing, etc) but I feel like the updates were kinda too late in the game in nov/jan so Im more confident about next cycle if I have to reapply. Also had a ton of reach schools cuz I wanna stay in a city but they tend to be more competitive it seems :/

Looking back, my activities section is what did me in. Meh descriptions and meh activities on my primary. Increased a LOT over the app cycle (like 1300 research hours when I had 0, more volunteering and shadowing, etc) but I feel like the updates were kinda too late in the game in nov/jan so Im more confident about next cycle if I have to reapply. Also had a ton of reach schools cuz I wanna stay in a city but they tend to be more competitive it seems :/
I was a reapplicant too, similarly applied with an obvious missing checkmark. I got myself a thousand hours of clinical experiences though and got in this cycle. It humbled me a lot to get rejected from 25 schools because I had never failed like that before. If I can give advice, if you dont end up getting in this cycle, use that feeling to light a fire under you for next time and beyond. Best of luck my friend

Reactions: 3 users
Received a post-interview rejection from one of my instate schools this morning. That leaves me with 4 schools with post-interview silence /:

Wow congrats to the guy who just got his first II!!! That's some crazy luck right there! I wish you the best!!

JUST GOT ACCEPTED TO MY FIRST CHOICE!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 34 users
Just waitlisted at my 2nd school- here we gooooo. Deep breaths, big perspective, continued interest letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Officially waitlisted at all the schools I’ve had the chance to interview at :nailbiting::nailbiting:

@pewpew95 I just noticed your change in avatar, nice touch for this point in the cycle

Last edited:
Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. :)

Hello again my friends. I have some more good news: yesterday, my one and only acceptance offered me a full-tuition scholarship for the entire 4 years. It is still difficult to process this as I have been seriously afraid of debt for a very long time, and even considered not attending had my debt been too much for my family to handle.

But I really want to say thank you to the wonderful people I have met who have helped make the past 9 months a little less terrible. It would be foolish of me to say that things will certainly work out for you, just because it has for me, but I deeply wish the best for everybody here. I hope one day I can be in a position to change the application cycle just enough to make it a better experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 25 users
Wait listed at 4 schools, waiting to hear back from 2 more. Just kind of glad that there's only one month left till wait list movement starts!!!

Hello again my friends. I have some more good news: yesterday, my one and only acceptance offered me a full-tuition scholarship for the entire 4 years. It is still difficult to process this as I have been seriously afraid of debt for a very long time, and even considered not attending had my debt been too much for my family to handle.

But I really want to say thank you to the wonderful people I have met who have helped make the past 9 months a little less terrible. It would be foolish of me to say that things will certainly work out for you, just because it has for me, but I deeply wish the best for everybody here. I hope one day I can be in a position to change the application cycle just enough to make it a better experience.

Congrats!

Anybody else start prepping their app for this upcoming cycle? Deferred at 1 school and WL at the other which I wont know until like mid may from the WL. Does anybody know if you have to resubmit transcripts if you havent taken any new classes? And does anything roll over from the previous app (like identifying info and such).

Anybody else start prepping their app for this upcoming cycle? Deferred at 1 school and WL at the other which I wont know until like mid may from the WL. Does anybody know if you have to resubmit transcripts if you havent taken any new classes? And does anything roll over from the previous app (like identifying info and such).
I haven't yet, but that's because I'm still living in denial.
Here's what amcas says:

If you submitted a previous year’s application and did not withdraw it, most of the information you entered will “roll over” to the current application

Although your information will roll over, the Main Menu will show all sections of your new application as "Incomplete". You must go through each section and confirm that the information is still correct. When you verify that information and click Continue at the end of each section, the Main Menu will show that section as complete. We suggest you print your application from the previous year to see what you submitted.

Please note, that if AMCAS makes improvements to a section of the application, you will need to reenter information into this section for the subsequent year's application cycle.

You will also need to resubmit official transcripts and letters of evaluation to AMCAS for each application cycle you apply.

I am waitlisted at 3 schools and I was ok with the waiting, until my mom today was freaking out that I spent all this time and money to apply for medical school and no one is calling me. She really stressed me out today.

I tried to explain to her there are a million and one factors that lead to a medical school acceptance and I don't have control over the ADCOMs and how they figure this out. I've already sent LOIs, and had new LORs sent to strengthen my candidacy.

OMG, it's so hard to be patient and waiting. LOL

Reactions: 5 users
I am waitlisted at 3 schools and I was ok with the waiting, until my mom today was freaking out that I spent all this time and money to apply for medical school and no one is calling me. She really stressed me out today.

I tried to explain to her there are a million and one factors that lead to a medical school acceptance and I don't have control over the ADCOMs and how they figure this out. I've already sent LOIs, and had new LORs sent to strengthen my candidacy.

I didn’t know you could have new LORs to strengthen your candidacy that’s a great idea. There’s only a little time left and I know how hard it is to wait. But try to find something to occupy your time. Like for me. I know I won’t be able to afford to do this again for a while so now I’m going to career fairs to look for clinical research employment or anything really since the cost of the application and travel is insurmountable and I missed that fee waiver by 2 thousand dollars with mine and my parents income combined even though I’m almost 30 and my parents are retired. (Sorry for the rant) my point is find something you enjoy to make the time pass and avoid things that fuel the neurotic behavior.

Last edited:

Did you send your new LORs through AMCAS?

Did you send your new LORs through AMCAS?

Yes, I had them sent through AMCAS. Though I had new LORs to support my application and the schools let the letter writers send the letters to admissions directly. Which is good because if they had to upload them on AMCAS, it would have taken too long.

Just trying my best to get off a waitlist sooner than later!

I didn’t know you could have new LORs to strengthen your candidacy that’s a great idea. There’s only a little time left and I know how hard it is to wait. But try to find something to occupy your time. Like for me. I know I won’t be able to afford to do this again for a while so now I’m going to career fairs to look for clinical research employment or anything really since the cost of the application and travel is insurmountable and I missed that fee waiver by 2 thousand dollars with mine and my parents income combined even though I’m almost 30 and my parents are retired. (Sorry for the rant) my point is find something you enjoy to make the time pass and avoid things that fuel the neurotic behavior.

Yeah, my uncle is a physician and he told if I had any new LORs to send them to the schools. It makes sense if you think about it, since the schools are used to the candidates sending LOIs, but it's entirely different to have other people sending their support of you. If I were adcom I would take that more seriously than the candidates LOI.

All my profs loved me at my college, so I had no problem getting 2 more LORs written fast. It's a nice feeling. Hope it works for you too.

It's my mom that's making me stressed out about this, not even me...LOL She needs a chill pill or to do yoga or something.

my mom that's making me stressed out about this, not even me...LOL She needs a chill pill or to do yoga or something.

LOL take her to yoga take her camping or take her outside and quickly lock her out while you go back inside. Thanks for the idea I’ll have a few more letters sent to my schools it’s a good thing I just asked for some more because my school requires letters for valedictorian and types of that stuff for graduation so I recently got some!

my school requires letters for valedictorian and types of that stuff for graduation so I recently got some!

Oh how I wish being valedictorian held more weight in the med school application process. LOL :laugh:

I mean it was not exactly easy to rank #1 as a biological science major! Ochem and physics gave me nightmares...:scared: I still dislike SN2 rxns.

Oh how I wish being valedictorian held more weight in the med school application process. LOL :laugh:

I mean it was not exactly easy to rank #1 as a biological science major! Ochem and physics gave me nightmares...:scared: I still dislike SN2 rxns.
I’m honestly not sure if I’ll be valedictorian but I know I’m in the top 2% of my UC in the college of biosci other than that I have no idea what my ranking is lol maybe they’re being “holistic” about choosing one.

I think you guys are going to hear some good news in the next week! May the waitlists be bountiful and the rejections be swift and merciful. Godspeed.

Reactions: 16 users
I think you guys are going to hear some good news in the next week! May the waitlists be bountiful and the rejections be swift and merciful. Godspeed.
Banana! You need to send me some extra luv, I need it!

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

There will definitely be movement after April 30th and people who are holding a seat at multiple schools will have to pick one (thank goodness right?:)). Hoping y'all get your good news soon!

Reactions: 5 users
Sending out emails to see if I can get LORs resubmitted. Fun fun.

Does anyone know when most waitlist movement happens? Does it happen right after May 1st or is it usually a few weeks after?
Most is right after may 1st is what I have heard, and then sometimes another small wave around may 15th.