You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2018 applicant thread
Started by Soulful
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yeah same, there are some people who ask me this every two days. If I finally get in somewhere after waiting miserably for 10 months I'm pretty sure I would tell them immediately. I've even explained that it acutely reminds me of what a failure this year has been. I don't know why it's so hard to understand.I can't count how many times I've wanted to shout at someone, "I WILL TELL YOU WHEN I KNOW SOMETHING."
Oh hey seed how's it goin'Yeah same, there are some people who ask me this every two days. If I finally get in somewhere after waiting miserably for 10 months I'm pretty sure I would tell them immediately. I've even explained that it acutely reminds me of what a failure this year has been. I don't know why it's so hard to understand.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not great 🙂Oh hey seed how's it goin'
How many are you waiting on?Not great 🙂
Waitlist isn't nothing! And those are great schools2, WashU and Hofstra. WashU is trickle rolling so if I don't get in this week, it's almost 100% going to be a waitlist end of March. Hofstra has been accepting people after me so feeling like a waitlist or rejection there. Been 4 months since I interviewed at those two.
Thank you, but waitlists mean I have to continue putting my life on hold until sometime in July or even August just to maybe have a chance. If I do not get in this year, I cannot and will not reapply, so I need to start making plans for a different career and this eternal hell is getting in the way of me moving on.Waitlist isn't nothing! And those are great schools
I think that's the hardest part. I'm glad these schools want to put together an awesome class, but my lord be a little conscious of the people who's futures are teetering on your decision. Especially for those of us who are married; it's not just our lives we're planning for!Thank you, but waitlists mean I have to continue putting my life on hold until sometime in July or even August just to maybe have a chance. If I do not get in this year, I cannot and will not reapply, so I need to start making plans for a different career and this eternal hell is getting in the way of me moving on.
Right, and god forbid they try to help us out by interviewing on the weekends. Flights and hotels are expensive enough without missing 2-3 days of work at a time.I think that's the hardest part. I'm glad these schools want to put together an awesome class, but my lord be a little conscious of the people who's futures are teetering on your decision. Especially for those of us who are married; it's not just our lives we're planning for!
I think that's the hardest part. I'm glad these schools want to put together an awesome class, but my lord be a little conscious of the people who's futures are teetering on your decision. Especially for those of us who are married; it's not just our lives we're planning for!
I feel the same way, I've always wondered how the people that get accepted 1 week or so before classes start deal with that? Have they already moved into an apartment by the school in the mere hope that would happen? That would be so foolish with the cycle basically completely over.
I feel like end of June is the latest I would be able to successfully uproot my life and relocate.
I've received 3 IIs this cycle. One resulted in a waitlist (GW). I'm still waiting to hear back from the other two, but am not very optimistic. The GW interview went horribly, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was not flat out rejected. The other two interviews went much better. I'm actually excited about the possibility of taking another year off, and have begun to apply for various programs! Still hoping for an acceptance though!
What was horrible about your GW interview? I can understand closed file interviews are hard to prepare for, I interviewed there and am waiting for a decision.
I don't know how this works either. It complicates things that I'm moving with a husband and we're not well off enough to just live wherever. Living in a small apartment with each med student having a bedroom and splitting the rent three ways is not an option. The only MD waitlist I have is in a higher cost of living area... small, two bedroom condos run for $150k+ and have $400 monthly HOA fees, and renting isn't any better ($1500+ a month for a small two bedroom).I feel the same way, I've always wondered how the people that get accepted 1 week or so before classes start deal with that? Have they already moved into an apartment by the school in the mere hope that would happen? That would be so foolish with the cycle basically completely over.
I feel like end of June is the latest I would be able to successfully uproot my life and relocate.
I have a DO acceptance in the same area. I was thinking it would make more financial sense to go to a different DO school in a much cheaper location, but then I'd for sure not be able to go to the MD program if I got off the wait list because we would have already bought a house and moved all the way across the country and I feel like the odds of my husband agreeing to turn around, resell the house, and re-pack up all our stuff, especially if he's already found a job, are low. And I wouldn't blame him for that.
I'm thinking if I go to DO program near the MD school, hoping to get off the MD waitlist, we could live in an extended stay and store our things until I get my cost of living loan money refunded to me, because we could get a much better place to live with a larger down payment. The problem with that is you don't get the cost of living money until after school starts, and I don't know how feasible traveling to see houses, filling out the paperwork, and moving into a new place a month or so after med school's already started is going to work.
I kind of feel like this is all a disaster. I just want to hit the fast forward button until school starts.
It's definitely hard, and oftentimes means more debt/workload on your spouse/whoever your support network is. You definitely have to be willing to ask for help. My buddy who got in super late has been super successful though (he's a 4th year now). He had to take on some short term debt to fund housing right at the beginning, and it was emotional for them to uproot so quickly, but it's definitely doable. As long as you establish healthy life rhythms now, those major changes can be managed. But you're right, the suckiest part is trying to make decisions based on limited and conjectured information. As far as finances are concerned, yeah higher CoL sucks, and definitely adds to your debt load, but fortunately you'll make enough to pay it all off in 15 years (if you live reasonably). The amazing thing is that you have the opportunity! And if it's what you really want, and your husband is with you, you're set. Just have systems in place to manage stress now, and figuring out housing and finances in school will still really suck, but not be impossible (I think...)I don't know how this works either. It complicates things that I'm moving with a husband and we're not well off enough to just live wherever. Living in a small apartment with each med student having a bedroom and splitting the rent three ways is not an option. The only MD waitlist I have is in a higher cost of living area... small, two bedroom condos run for $150k+ and have $400 monthly HOA fees, and renting isn't any better ($1500+ a month for a small two bedroom).
I have a DO acceptance in the same area. I was thinking it would make more financial sense to go to a different DO school in a much cheaper location, but then I'd for sure not be able to go to the MD program if I got off the wait list because we would have already bought a house and moved all the way across the country and I feel like the odds of my husband agreeing to turn around, resell the house, and re-pack up all our stuff, especially if he's already found a job, are low. And I wouldn't blame him for that.
I'm thinking if I go to DO program near the MD school, hoping to get off the MD waitlist, we could live in an extended stay and store our things until I get my cost of living loan money refunded to me, because we could get a much better place to live with a larger down payment. The problem with that is you don't get the cost of living money until after school starts, and I don't know how feasible traveling to see houses, filling out the paperwork, and moving into a new place a month or so after med school's already started is going to work.
I kind of feel like this is all a disaster. I just want to hit the fast forward button until school starts.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm joining the thread! I had three interviews and over the last 5 days, I ended up on all of their waitlists. It's not rejections, so there's that...but man...it feels bad.
Congratulations! i'm so happy to hear success stories on this thread. I wish you the best at your new schoolJust wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
This is awesome! Congrats!!!Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
SEED I KNEW YOU WOULD GET INJust wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
Congrats <3Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
thinking of getting that tattooed on my foreheadI can't count how many times I've wanted to shout at someone, "I WILL TELL YOU WHEN I KNOW SOMETHING."
It was all sounding so good until this part.But also, I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, so.
Have some confidence! The advice game was on point. 🙂🤣
Heck yes! This is awesome.Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂

Now that's the success story I needed to hear before my last interview!! I've been rooting for you all cycle, and it's great to see you come out of it all with success. CONGRATULATIONS, you made it!!! And I hope you hear more good news in the coming few months!!Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
Last edited:
thinking of getting that tattooed on my forehead
*As a future doctor, your patient approaches you and asks what happens during the procedure you’re about to to perform on her*
You look up to reply and she reads the forehead tattoo that you forgot was there, she runs away without explanation.
*Huh, you wonder to yourself, people are so weird these days*
Just wanted to update you guys, I got my first acceptance this morning. It took 6 tries but I'm glad one school believes in me. 🙂
Super happy for you!! You did it
Time to celebrate and become a great physician in 4 years
how does that sound? 😉I feel the same way, I've always wondered how the people that get accepted 1 week or so before classes start deal with that? Have they already moved into an apartment by the school in the mere hope that would happen? That would be so foolish with the cycle basically completely over.
I feel like end of June is the latest I would be able to successfully uproot my life and relocate.
I got selected for Emdp2 (a military linkage program) that required me to move myself and my wife and kids from California to Virginia with 6 weeks notice, but I didn’t get my orders until like 12 days before I had to move. It was insane. And in the first cohort, a guy found out he got selected two weeks before orientation. That is crazy. It’s like a whirlwind. So I definitely feel you.
3 MD II's, 1 post II Rejection, 2 waitlists, 1 DO acceptance, 1 DO waitlist. I'm just trying to keep my mind off of it so hopefully I get surprised by good news
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ladies and gents, this wait absolutely sucks. What are your ways of clearing your head when you can't seem to get it out of your mind? Alcohol and music seem to work for me.
My major source of strength is my support group--my close friends & older people from my church. Airing out my crazy thoughts and anxieties with other people, and receiving sympathy and perspective, keeps me in touch with reality 🙂 hang in there dude.
Furious coding bingesLadies and gents, this wait absolutely sucks. What are your ways of clearing your head when you can't seem to get it out of your mind? Alcohol and music seem to work for me.
thinking of getting that tattooed on my forehead
Exactly... what part of “I won’t know my ranking on the list until sometime near the end of april” makes people in my molecular biology lab think it’s fine to ask every week if I picked a school yet..
I don’t know why anyone thinks they have to ask lol If/when I get into med school, no one on this Earth will have to even ask. I’m gonna scream it from roof tops and purchase billboardsExactly... what part of “I won’t know my ranking on the list until sometime near the end of april” makes people in my molecular biology lab think it’s fine to ask every week if I picked a school yet..
Update. 7 interviews attended, 5 acceptances, one waitlist and one still deferred. Hang in there!!5 interviews done, 4 upcoming and no decisions yet. Only deferrals 🙁
Update. 7 interviews attended, 5 acceptances, one waitlist and one still deferred. Hang in there!!
Username doesn’t check out.
Update. 7 interviews attended, 5 acceptances, one waitlist and one still deferred. Hang in there!!
Last edited:
Congratulations! i'm so happy to hear success stories on this thread. I wish you the best at your new school
This is awesome! Congrats!!!
SEED I KNEW YOU WOULD GET IN
Congrats <3
Heck yes! This is awesome.![]()
Good luck on your final interview! I too have been rooting for you all cycle - since August I think 🙂Now that's the success story I needed to hear before my last interview!! I've been rooting for you all cycle, and it's great to see you come out of it all with success. CONGRATULATIONS, you made it!!! And I hope you hear more good news in the coming few months!!
Super happy for you!! You did itTime to celebrate and become a great physician in 4 years
how does that sound? 😉
Thanks everyone. I am not sure I would have made it here without losing my mind without the support of all you. 😍
Finally decided to jump into this thread! 7 II, 1 R, 3 WL, and waiting to hear from 3 others. Please please please let me in!
Also, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?

Also, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?


I really hope that's how it goesAlso, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?![]()
Wait that’s a thing?? How do they know??Finally decided to jump into this thread! 7 II, 1 R, 3 WL, and waiting to hear from 3 others. Please please please let me in!
Also, so the fact that in March they can see who on their WL has an acceptance, us no acceptances should have a better shot of getting the golden ticket, right?![]()
Wait that’s a thing?? How do they know??
I think according to @gyngyn it was sometime in April that this happens.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Holy crap! Congrats!!!! Kill ittttttJust got my first II, better late than never!
Just got my first II, better late than never!
You only need one 😉
The resident in my dept only got 1 II and ended in an acceptance. You only need 1! Congrats!!Just got my first II, better late than never!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 2K