Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2018 applicant thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when most waitlist movement happens? Does it happen right after May 1st or is it usually a few weeks after?

Schools will probably start offering positions starting next Tuesday. I think students accepted up until April 30th have two weeks to decide whether to accept. Students accepted off the waitlist have at least 5 days to accept. So I'm thinking there will be a wave during next week after May 1, then another wave after May 15 (assuming some students are still on hold and may be given an acceptance that will give them a full two weeks to decide). I'm sure there will be offers throughout this time as well -that's just the general trend. I think all students accepted after May 15 (waitlisted or not) have a minimum of 5 days to decide.

Edited for clarity based on the waitlisted vs regular acceptance students.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What's special about May 15th date?
Just when the programs which lost people on May 1 get the people taking the seat the left left open at the first acceptance settled. So if I am planning on school A in early April, get off waitlist at school B on May 1, I wait a few days to decide and tell school A I am leaving, and once I do it takes them awhile to send my spot at school A out to someone on school A waitlist.

Oh that's the two week deadline to decide? So may 1st-->2 weeks-->may 15th?
No I think you get like 5 days to decide if you will take the acceptance (not sure, google it or search threads more specific to that), but schools have lots of work to do and do not always get the offer sent out to fill your seat at program A the same day you withdraw, things take time even when they try to be fast.

Edit: AAMC traffic rules I found say minimum 5 days to decide - guessing most schools stick to this number.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that's the two week deadline to decide? So may 1st-->2 weeks-->may 15th?
I fixed my post for clarity. Some schools still have students on hold and may give them an acceptance any day up until April 30. Students given an offer by April 30 have a full two weeks to decide, so that is why there is a second wave May 15 and beyond.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you guys are going to hear some good news in the next week! May the waitlists be bountiful and the rejections be swift and merciful. Godspeed.

Amen to that!!!!.... At least for the first part

Reactions: 1 users
Joining you all here in purgatory :cool: My single solitary II told me I’d hear back at some point in May

Reactions: 6 users
I REALLY hope so
Prepare for the worse but pray for the best. The more waitlists you are on the better your chances of eventually getting an acceptance. Every school has a different approach for pulling applicants out of their waitlist. There will more movement in upcoming weeks for sure. That being said, it is a good idea to look for ways to strengthen your application for the upcoming application cycle. This time around last year I started calling schools that rejected me post-interview to ask for reasons they rejected me and how can I improve. I eventually became a reapplicant after making changes to my application. Don't give up!!

Reactions: 4 users
Prepare for the worse but pray for the best. The more waitlists you are on the better your chances of eventually getting an acceptance. Every school has a different approach for pulling applicants out of their waitlist. There will more movement in upcoming weeks for sure. That being said, it is a good idea to look for ways to strengthen your application for the upcoming application cycle. This time around last year I started calling schools that rejected me post-interview to ask for reasons they rejected me and how can I improve. I eventually became a reapplicant after making changes to my application. Don't give up!!
I won't give up just yet! I just need to catch a break. I have an interview for a clinical research coordinator position so it'll at least let me save up for a year before trying this whole process all over again plus I'll retake the MCAT since I took it in community college and ended up with what I thought was an ok score but I am positive I can do much better now. thanks for the support! I really appreciate it too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just rejected from number two of my three schools that I interviewed at. I'm sitting on the waitlist at my final school and praying that next week I hear good news. I can't apply for a third time...

I was just rejected from number two of my three schools that I interviewed at. I'm sitting on the waitlist at my final school and praying that next week I hear good news. I can't apply for a third time...

Best of luck to you

Reactions: 1 users
I fixed my post for clarity. Some schools still have students on hold and may give them an acceptance any day up until April 30. Students given an offer by April 30 have a full two weeks to decide, so that is why there is a second wave May 15 and beyond.

Do students put on hold have to hear an answer by April 30th, R/WL/D?

No idea! But it appears that if you are accepted after April 30, you have less time to make a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't think that is the case. I believe you still have 2 weeks to make a decision

Ive been working on my app for next cycle and my activities section is already looking a million times better than before (it looked like hot garbage with horrible descriptions and I left out stuff thinking they werent important when they really could have helped). Now gotta wait for 1 post II decision.....Plz bless me 528 gods

I'm excited for everyone here over the next few weeks.

Good luck getting into somewhere you love after traffic day!

Reactions: 8 users
I'm so nervous, y'all. I have 3 waitlists and am still waiting to hear back from one school post-interview. I have another interview coming up but this is hecka stressful. I had some serious family stuff going on earlier so my apps were later.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so nervous, y'all. I have 3 waitlists and am still waiting to hear back from one school post-interview. I have another interview coming up but this is hecka stressful. I had some serious family stuff going on earlier so my apps were later.
I didn't even know there were places that were still interviewing, or that you were allowed to interview after traffic day. That's interesting.

I didn't even know there were places that were still interviewing, or that you were allowed to interview after traffic day. That's interesting.
I feel like it’s just that new place, Seton Hall maybe doing stuff like that yet?

Some schools are still interviewing and will continue until June believe it or not. They like to incite panic in their applicants.

Reactions: 5 users
Some schools are still interviewing and will continue until June believe it or not. They like to incite panic in their applicants.

That's crazy! Which schools besides the new ones?

That's crazy! Which schools besides the new ones?
Going off of a previous year, a friend of mine was interviewed at Howard in May, and I've heard of others as well.

Accepted off waitlist yesterday :clap: can’t believe it!!

Reactions: 15 users
My first acceptance
My first acceptance
My first acceptance

I’m literally shaking in my seat in class right now.
God is great.
Thank you SDN for everything.
I love you fam.

Reactions: 28 users
Accepted off waitlist yesterday :clap: can’t believe it!!
My first acceptance
My first acceptance
My first acceptance

I’m literally shaking in my seat in class right now.
God is great.
Thank you SDN for everything.
I love you fam.
first acceptance today!

Congrats! I am so happy and proud of you all :highfive: You made it in!! :clap: For all those who are still waiting to hear back, I am sending good vibes your way :)

Reactions: 11 users
Waitlist movement seems to be great this year, and it's only May 2 (I may be overreacting a bit lol). I'm really happy for all of us who have gotten in! I wish for many more to come!

Reactions: 5 users