You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Official, Pre-Allo NOT ACCEPTED YET 2018 applicant thread
Started by Soulful
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I FEEL YA! Only have one more post II pending decision and praying so hard it's an acceptance 🙁yet ANOTHER waitlist. this is my personal hell
me too!! although at this point it's seeming like the evidence points otherwise :/I FEEL YA! Only have one more post II pending decision and praying so hard it's an acceptance 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do schools ever notify on the weekends?
~can you tell I'm getting desperate 😛 ~
~can you tell I'm getting desperate 😛 ~
Last edited:
Also are they off for President's day lol
For me, they don't. I guess it depends on the school.. I wish they would though.....Do schools ever notify on the weekends?
~can you tell I'm getting desperate 😛 ~
This is school-dependent 🙁Also are they off for President's day lol
Yeah, they do, unfortunately. I've gotten a couple Rs on Saturdays... can't remember which schools off the top of my head.Do schools ever notify on the weekends?
~can you tell I'm getting desperate 😛 ~
I don't know if it's helpful to think of it this way, but remember all those really great schools that rejected us, and all the schools we realized we should have applied to but didn't? If we end up having to reapply, we get another chance to apply to them again! If you don't have an acceptance yet, your possibilities are endless!
#StayPositive
(Although I do recognize that since I am currently on my first application cycle it may be easier for me to think this way compared to someone currently on their second, third, etc.)
#StayPositive
(Although I do recognize that since I am currently on my first application cycle it may be easier for me to think this way compared to someone currently on their second, third, etc.)
Positivity is key! Also, I have found exercising when I am really stressed helps out!I don't know if it's helpful to think of it this way, but remember all those really great schools that rejected us, and all the schools we realized we should have applied to but didn't? If we end up having to reapply, we get another chance to apply to them again! If you don't have an acceptance yet, your possibilities are endless!
#StayPositive
(Although I do recognize that since I am currently on my first application cycle it may be easier for me to think this way compared to someone currently on their second, third, etc.)
3 IIs, 3 wait lists/alternate lists (whatever you want to call them). Really wish I could just skip ahead to 3 months from now.
3 IIs, 3 wait lists/alternate lists (whatever you want to call them). Really wish I could just skip ahead to 3 months from now.
I say that to myself all the time... but then I'm wondering if I really mean it. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather be stuck in this limbo than face an unfavorable reality.
Okay, finally watched it yesterday... and I was a giant mess of snot for that episode and the last episode. Ugh, this show... I love it but man, I am the world's ugliest crier. My husband telling me we need to put a curtain between our sides of the couch if we're going to keep watching this show so he doesn't have to look at me wasn't helpful. I think through gesture alone, I got the point across of where I thought the best place for that opinion was.Oh man. Season 2 is awesome. You have to post after you watch the super bowl episode.
Now what do I do until 2/27? Seven days is a really long time to wait for the next episode. I need more distractions. I have officially fallen into the show hole.
Had my top choice DO interview last week, which was a temporarily a good distraction... but then they also said their class is mostly full, so people will probably be getting waitlisted at this point... ugh. Another waitlist. Or maybe not. It's a mystery!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, finally watched it yesterday... and I was a giant mess of snot for that episode and the last episode. Ugh, this show... I love it but man, I am the world's ugliest crier. My husband telling me we need to put a curtain between our sides of the couch if we're going to keep watching this show so he doesn't have to look at me wasn't helpful. I think through gesture alone, I got the point across of where I thought the best place for that opinion was.
Now what do I do until 2/27? Seven days is a really long time to wait for the next episode. I need more distractions. I have officially fallen into the show hole.
Had my top choice DO interview last week, which was a temporarily a good distraction... but then they also said their class is mostly full, so people will probably be getting waitlisted at this point... ugh. Another waitlist. Or maybe not. It's a mystery!![]()
Oh man. My wife was a mess too. Such a great show. If you can’t wait for the next ep, you can start on Parenthood. That’s another great show that you’ll probably love if you like TIU. And there are like 7 seasons.
Late February Update: I was sitting on a post-II rejection from my first II, a waitlist from my second with pretty bad odds at getting off of it, and have my third II next week. And just as I was beginning to lose hope and began to strongly consider plans for another gap year and application cycle, I GET A II FROM ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE TOP CHOICE SCHOOLS!!! I was sure my app cycle was over so I am over the moon to receive a II this late in the game and from one of my top choices no less. It’s like someone out there doesn’t want me to fail and keeps
giving me additional chances. I’m so grateful :’)
giving me additional chances. I’m so grateful :’)
Late February Update: I was sitting on a post-II rejection from my first II, a waitlist from my second with pretty bad odds at getting off of it, and have my third II next week. And just as I was beginning to lose hope and began to strongly consider plans for another gap year and application cycle, I GET A II FROM ONE OF MY ABSOLUTE TOP CHOICE SCHOOLS!!! I was sure my app cycle was over so I am over the moon to receive a II this late in the game and from one of my top choices no less. It’s like someone out there doesn’t want me to fail and keeps
giving me additional chances. I’m so grateful :’)
So happy for you! Now go own that interview and let us know when you get accepted 😉🙂
Finally got my first acceptance today. Was studying for MCAT retake at work but closed those EK books ASAP when I saw the email and breathed a sigh of relief
Thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot 🙂 And congratulations on your acceptance!!So happy for you! Now go own that interview and let us know when you get accepted 😉🙂
Reading the words "EK books" just made me feel nauseous for a second. Man that must've felt good to close those books for the final time. Congrats!!Finally got my first acceptance today. Was studying for MCAT retake at work but closed those EK books ASAP when I saw the email and breathed a sigh of relief
Joining the party here
1 interview = 1 waitlist = (sadness/stress x 1 billion)
1 interview = 1 waitlist = (sadness/stress x 1 billion)
So Stressful!!Joining the party here
1 interview = 1 waitlist = (sadness/stress x 1 billion)![]()
Oh man. My wife was a mess too. Such a great show. If you can’t wait for the next ep, you can start on Parenthood. That’s another great show that you’ll probably love if you like TIU. And there are like 7 seasons.
Okay, finally watched it yesterday... and I was a giant mess of snot for that episode and the last episode. Ugh, this show... I love it but man, I am the world's ugliest crier. My husband telling me we need to put a curtain between our sides of the couch if we're going to keep watching this show so he doesn't have to look at me wasn't helpful. I think through gesture alone, I got the point across of where I thought the best place for that opinion was.
Now what do I do until 2/27? Seven days is a really long time to wait for the next episode. I need more distractions. I have officially fallen into the show hole.
Had my top choice DO interview last week, which was a temporarily a good distraction... but then they also said their class is mostly full, so people will probably be getting waitlisted at this point... ugh. Another waitlist. Or maybe not. It's a mystery!![]()
I've been in the show hole for a while now. What is this TIU?
Also, a million congratulations to everyone who has gotten in!
To the rest of us, hang in there. The worst thing that can happen is that we'll get to apply everything we learned from this cycle to the next, and while that wouldn't be ideal, that can't stop us either, and we'll adapt and grow from it.
I've been in the show hole for a while now. What is this TIU?
Also, a million congratulations to everyone who has gotten in!
To the rest of us, hang in there. The worst thing that can happen is that we'll get to apply everything we learned from this cycle to the next, and while that wouldn't be ideal, that can't stop us either, and we'll adapt and grow from it.
This Is Us. It's an awesome show. It's about a family growing up in the 80s, 90s, etc., while simultaneously following them in the present. It's very dramatic, but also very funny. It's just a very well-written show. Mandy Moore is the mother, and she's great.
This Is Us. It's an awesome show. It's about a family growing up in the 80s, 90s, etc., while simultaneously following them in the present. It's very dramatic, but also very funny. It's just a very well-written show. Mandy Moore is the mother, and she's great.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
One more week until I start hearing back from two of my three interviews. Part of me wants it to come so bad, but another part enjoys the idea that I still have a chance to get in.
In the exact same boat. First interview ended in a wait list. Next two schools should (hopefully) be getting back within the next two weeks. However my hopes are not too high as they didn't go too well especially compared to my amazing first interview. Let's see what happens.
This process has been so draining! I hope we both receive some good news in the near future!In the exact same boat. First interview ended in a wait list. Next two schools should (hopefully) be getting back within the next two weeks. However my hopes are not too high as they didn't go too well especially compared to my amazing first interview. Let's see what happens.
—Feb: only medical schools that have accepted you can see where else you have been accepted
— April: all medical schools can see where you have been accepted
— at no time can any medical see where you have applied
— almost 50% of acceptees get a single offer of acceptance
— waitlist movement doesnt end until August
And remember the old saying: nothing is completed until the corpulent woman vocalizes lyrically or something like that
Weeks after reading this, it just occurred to me that this was another variation of "It ain't over until the fat lady sings"....

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Officially breathing a sigh of relief because I got my first acceptance! Still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but glad to be accepted at all. Excited to continue supporting everyone else. Hang in there!
Congrats! You made it to the other side!Officially breathing a sigh of relief because I got my first acceptance! Still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but glad to be accepted at all. Excited to continue supporting everyone else. Hang in there!
See you on the other side... HopefullyOfficially breathing a sigh of relief because I got my first acceptance! Still waiting to hear back from my top choice, but glad to be accepted at all. Excited to continue supporting everyone else. Hang in there!
Jumping on this thread- so thankful to read such encouraging posts! I've had 2 II so far.
- First was at an OOS state school in Sept, to which I was given a spot on their unranked waitlist.
- Second was this past Fri (early March), likely my last, and will be waiting for their response in these next couple months.
Hang on everyone!
- First was at an OOS state school in Sept, to which I was given a spot on their unranked waitlist.
- Second was this past Fri (early March), likely my last, and will be waiting for their response in these next couple months.
Hang on everyone!
Glad to find there are others experiencing post-interview purgatory lol. 5 interviews (3 OS, 2 IS) with all complete silence still (some interviewed back in October). Hoping for the best but expecting the worse.
Hey everyone! I just found this thread I'm here to give and receive support also. I've had a fairly rough cycle and can't help but feel like I should be preparing to reapply. I've been looking at retaking the MCAT but I'm still in the game with 6II's from which I have 2R's, 2WL and 2 more to hear from. thanks for making this thread. I wish you all good luck for the rest of this cycle.
If you got 6 II's you don't need to retake the MCAT
I was thinking I might have to because I took in April of 2016 and I’ll just hit that three year mark unfortunately. What’s good is that between when I took it and now I’ve read more research papers than I can count and actually took genetics cell bio and biochem instead of self teaching so I’m confident I can do better in those areas though I’m not sure about the other areas now. In all honesty I’ll probably have to take A year to study, save money, and shore up my app once more before hitting that submit button again.If you got 6 II's you don't need to retake the MCAT
You are speaking with the voice of reason. Logic is not welcome here.If you got 6 II's you don't need to retake the MCAT

Totally kidding, but I understand the impulse to re-take the MCAT... it's the easiest thing to fix in the shortest period of time. If there were November test dates, I would have signed up right after I got my first post-interview MD rejection. I felt like (and still somewhat do think) that if I could have budged my a few MCAT more points, maybe I would have gotten accepted to at least one MD in spite of the glaring deficiencies in my application...
Hey everyone! I just found this thread I'm here to give and receive support also. I've had a fairly rough cycle and can't help but feel like I should be preparing to reapply. I've been looking at retaking the MCAT but I'm still in the game with 6II's from which I have 2R's, 2WL and 2 more to hear from. thanks for making this thread. I wish you all good luck for the rest of this cycle.
I would give yourself a bit more slack and wait until at least after March 15th to start studying. Around March 15th is a hot date to release decisions because schools need to release at least as many acceptances as positions, so you may see some movement.
Plus no one really enjoys studying for the MCAT, so it's best to hold off until absolutely necessary 😛
You’re absolutely right! I’m going to hold off until probably May and then if I have no luck I’ll begin studying again and get busy working on potential holes in my app. And then reapply in June 2019 most likely if I have to. I’m a “hope for the best, plan for the worst” type of person so I’m just trying to have all my bases covered is all. Though interview preparation and practice is probably what I need to work on most and that will be done tooI would give yourself a bit more slack and wait until at least after March 15th to start studying. Around March 15th is a hot date to release decisions because schools need to release at least as many acceptances as positions, so you may see some movement.
Plus no one really enjoys studying for the MCAT, so it's best to hold off until absolutely necessary 😛
Have my second interview on thursday. WL at my other interview which Im 90% sure will turn into an acceptance BUT they take from the WL really late (july/august) which means I would have my primary and secondaries in by then. Dont know if it would be worth reapplying or nah if this interview goes south (lets hope not tho).
Have my second interview on thursday. WL at my other interview which Im 90% sure will turn into an acceptance BUT they take from the WL really late (july/august) which means I would have my primary and secondaries in by then. Dont know if it would be worth reapplying or nah if this interview goes south (lets hope not tho).
Kill that second interview this week!! They invited you for a reason 🙂
8
892002
I've received 3 IIs this cycle. One resulted in a waitlist (GW). I'm still waiting to hear back from the other two, but am not very optimistic. The GW interview went horribly, so I was pleasantly surprised when I was not flat out rejected. The other two interviews went much better. I'm actually excited about the possibility of taking another year off, and have begun to apply for various programs! Still hoping for an acceptance though!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im more nervous about actually getting there. Its in philly and they are going to be getting hit by that storm around the time I am supposed to be traveling there.Kill that second interview this week!! They invited you for a reason 🙂
Guess I'll jump in as well, mostly because I'm becoming more and more neurotic because of my inability to have any affect on getting an acceptance while waiting.
Two IIs, one interview in November (which I won't get a decision on until 04/30 [almost 6 month wait]), the other at the beginning of Feb, which I still haven't heard back from yet (one of my buddies got pulled off the WL ONE WEEK before classes started here). Just my luck to apply to the schools that take a notoriously long time to get back to applicants. My whole mind/body/soul is imploding.
Two IIs, one interview in November (which I won't get a decision on until 04/30 [almost 6 month wait]), the other at the beginning of Feb, which I still haven't heard back from yet (one of my buddies got pulled off the WL ONE WEEK before classes started here). Just my luck to apply to the schools that take a notoriously long time to get back to applicants. My whole mind/body/soul is imploding.
In the same boat as most of you. I've received 2 II, and 2 waitlist decisions along with a bunch of pre-II rejections from others. Starting to worry... just kidding, been worrying for some time now... Anyways, I guess there's nothing to do but be hopeful at this point 🙂
I know this post is a month old, but this is exactly how I feel. It’s almost more demoralizing to hear well-meaning people who don’t understand the process constantly guarantee that you will get in where you have been waitlisted.guys, these waitlists are making me feel super demoralized as the spring drags on without any movement, and made much worse by the plethora of friends who act like I'm already accepted, or will inevitably be accepted, ("yeah, but you WILL get in!!") when that's just not guaranteed. could use a morale boost
Wow, I need your friends. Those around me are looking at me and saying "... looks like time to give up" I guess somewhere in the middle would be niceI know this post is a month old, but this is exactly how I feel. It’s almost more demoralizing to hear well-meaning people who don’t understand the process constantly guarantee that you will get in where you have been waitlisted.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 88
- Views
- 12K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 2K