***Official Pre-Med School FITNESS Goal Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There is a legitimate fitness thread!?!? This is awesome-ish.

Well, this would be extremely unfair, but I am...

5' 8/155/according to last year's underwater weighing ~7% fat
ex-professional soccer player/collegiate soccer player

About to get knee surgery so that 7% is about to be 10+ by the time I am able to run again.
lol fitness thread, awesome

Members don't see this ad.

There is a legitimate fitness thread!?!? This is awesome-ish.

Well, this would be extremely unfair, but I am...

5' 8/155/according to last year's underwater weighing ~7% fat
ex-professional soccer player/collegiate soccer player

About to get knee surgery so that 7% is about to be 10+ by the time I am able to run again.
lol fitness thread, awesome

Sigh...I wish I was gooder at soccer! I absolutely love wearing soccer jerseys around and just need a soccer players body and skills to go with it. Lets just say buying the jerseys is the easy part. Lol

Congrats, man! That's exactly how I was losing my weight. Unfortunately, NekoBeats and I are not doing well on the competition right now. We have to redo the point system because there are some flaws to ours. Good luck, everyone!

PS: I'm on my way to an interview right now and all they had for breakfast in my terminal was muffins... Sigh...

Yeah we adjusted our point scale multiple times. If its not motivating you in the right areas or if there are loopholes just change it up.
Like us for example, we had household chores worth points, which was great because all the chores were always done, but then we wouldn't exercise for points. First we tried making exercise worth a lot more points, and then eventually took away points for chores altogether.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh...I wish I was gooder at soccer! I absolutely love wearing soccer jerseys around and just need a soccer players body and skills to go with it. Lets just say buying the jerseys is the easy part. Lol

I am a Gooner so I have an Arsenal top. I have a Zidane Real Madrid top. Barcelona and Celtic long sleeves back when they were solely Unicef and Carling sponsored, respectively. I have a Spain and USA natl team jersey.

I never ever wear names or numbers on my jerseys, but Zidane is the best player to ever touch grass so I custom made that Madrid top.

I like argentine team jerseys and then other jerseys that look cool. I don't really follow any European teams and I like players like messi and tevez, but again, I have a South American bias. Except for brazil. They are good, but sworn enemies of all Argentina fans

That's awesome! How do you train for a marathon??

Run........ and run........ and run......... and ignore my momma's cooking...... and run some more ;)

It's not going very well so far! Haha. I think I'm going to start with the C25K program and then do the 12 week program. I've never been much of a distance runner anyway, so this is going to suck!!

So I'll bring this thread back from the edge of death with the news that I am losing weight pretty consistently now! Exercising alone was doing pretty much nothing, and so I lost my steam and kinda...stopped.
Then I decided to focus on my diet. I kept a very accurate and detailed food journal for almost a week, realized I eat more than what my caloric needs really are (not to mention it was frequently less than healthy stuff), and decided to change up my diet a bit. Now I eat something good/healthy for breakfast and then pack some healthy snacks for work (like almonds and craisins, a KILLER combination btw) and then only eat something if I get hungry, not just when it's "lunchtime" or whatever. Then if I want an actual meal, I'll get a 6" subway sandwich, one of the 6 grams of fat or less sandwiches with lots of veggies and mustard and light mayo.
I've found, much to my shock, that after eating breakfast at 9, I don't actually get hungry until 2 or 3 or even 4! I'm definitely NOT starving myself, I just wait until my stomach growls a little and I actually feel hunger, then I eat enough to be satisfied and not stuffed.

Ok, end result, in about a week I've lost an inch off the waist (measured right around the navel) and I've gone from about 218 to 208 (208 as of this morning when I got up before breakfast).
I'm so stoked to be losing weight and it hasn't really been hard or been a huge diet change other than portions and frequency mostly.

Wow, that's awesome progress dudeliness! It's amazing how changing small things can make such a large impact. As MA said, we're not doing too hot with the competition. I actually have been trying to perfect my red velvet cupcakes..so my house is currently full of cupcakes..

I like argentine team jerseys and then other jerseys that look cool. I don't really follow any European teams and I like players like messi and tevez, but again, I have a South American bias. Except for brazil. They are good, but sworn enemies of all Argentina fans

Sick PK by Neymar, huh? Overrated

1. Mash43
2. I am a Strength and Conditioning Coach/Personal Trainer at two prestigious facilities in the country so I have to be on top of my junk before I train my clients. I love it. Even considered not pursuing medicine and continuing on my path now but. At this point I don't even know what motivates me..To be honest. Training is an addiction for me lol. Its literally like a drug.
3. 5'9, 185 lbs
4. My goals are more performance based, i.e. deadlift 500, or run a 4.4 40yd dash.

I LOVE this thread and this idea and am so happy to see all these people chiming in.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh that sounds cool babydoc. I have done some halfs, enough to know I don't really want to do a full. If we run around the same pace maybe next year we can run together in Des Moines. After hearing about insanity on this thread I decided to give it a try. I'm in week two now and am proud to say I havent missed a workout yet. I dont know about you dudeliness but I tend to think the warm up is the hardest part so I always just tell myself if I make it through that I'll be fine. Keep up the good work everyone!

Oh that sounds cool babydoc. I have done some halfs, enough to know I don't really want to do a full. If we run around the same pace maybe next year we can run together in Des Moines. After hearing about insanity on this thread I decided to give it a try. I'm in week two now and am proud to say I havent missed a workout yet. I dont know about you dudeliness but I tend to think the warm up is the hardest part so I always just tell myself if I make it through that I'll be fine. Keep up the good work everyone!

Yeah, it's funny how the "warmup" is pretty tough, and I usually tell myself the same thing. Get through the warmup and you can make it. It's nearly half the time anyway, or something like that.
I need to get back to doing it again...

That would be awesome. I've been wanting to give Insanity a try but just the name scares me :scared:

I think my main goal for the rest of this week is going to be to get up earlier. Currently I'm waking up too late to get up and work-out in the morning. So I think I'll just move my wake-up time up by 15 minutes each morning and do the same with when I get in bed. At least for the rest of this week I can get a yoga work-out in and do some push-ups or something. (Working out at night isn't really an option since I feel like I always end up having to do something in the evening.)
Foodwise-I've actually been eating pretty healthy, so I think my goal will be to pack my lunch the night before and add more vegetables to my diet. And drink three waterbottles each day at work. Currently I'm sitting right at two.

I was doing really well with getting up earlier, but then I had four days off and shot that down. So I'm working on waking up earlier again. 15 minutes each day.
I have been drinking 3 water bottles and eating more vegetables. I still need to work on packing my lunch the night before.
I'm also doing my physical therapy exercises twice each day and the stretches three times. So I'm going to try to keep that going past this week.

I been going to the gym at least 6 times a week for 60 mins... I usual do 600 calories.

I also started eating healthy.

After I take my mcat in Jan. I am planning to go to the gym 2 times a day. Before work and After so I can lose some weight for interviews.

I been going to the gym at least 6 times a week for 60 mins... I usual do 600 calories.

I also started eating healthy.

After I take my mcat in Jan. I am planning to go to the gym 2 times a day. Before work and After so I can lose some weight for interviews.

Not even looking at your comment, but at your signature with your schedule... why are you doing the TPR exams and then only the verbal of AAMC exams..the exam is made by AAMC and will be more similar. TPR is so far from the AAMC.. I saw a question from an AAMC practice on my actual exam. My suggestion is to stop TPR exams and just do do AAMC

1. Mash43
2. I am a Strength and Conditioning Coach/Personal Trainer at two prestigious facilities in the country so I have to be on top of my junk before I train my clients. I love it. Even considered not pursuing medicine and continuing on my path now but. At this point I don't even know what motivates me..To be honest. Training is an addiction for me lol. Its literally like a drug.
3. 5'9, 185 lbs
4. My goals are more performance based, i.e. deadlift 500, or run a 4.4 40yd dash.

I LOVE this thread and this idea and am so happy to see all these people chiming in.:thumbup:

:thumbup:

I think the prospect of having to partially undress in front of your fellow students while they palpate on you is pretty motivating for a lot of people. Fortunately I've already been through it, minus the state of undress

This is a great idea, and as I just got accepted to medical school, I'm in!

1. smccreery86
2. Walking the walk and living a healthier, happier life.
3. Currently ~160
4. 140 or more

Bluepotato, I've heard of this couch to 5K thing before, but what exactly is it?

Hey all, just thought I'd update. I've lost 20 lbs so I'm now under 200 for the first time since getting married almost 6 years ago!
I'd like to at least maintain that loss through the holidays, but have the eventual goal of losing another 15-20 lbs.

Hey all, just thought I'd update. I've lost 20 lbs so I'm now under 200 for the first time since getting married almost 6 years ago!
I'd like to at least maintain that loss through the holidays, but have the eventual goal of losing another 15-20 lbs.

Great job! That's an awesome accomplishment.

Nice man!! I recently started training for the Tough Mudder challenge that I'm doing in February. They have got me doing a lot of crossfit stuff that I'm not used to.....its pretty difficult to say the least. Thats the name of the game I guess. Keep it up!

That's awesome dudeliness! Keep up the good work :)

Thanks guys! It's great to be able to share my accomplishments, it motivates me to keep going.
Of course I say all this while enjoying a delicious pumpkin shake. Pumpkin pie and egg nogg are my downfalls during the holiday season, but I'm going to take it carefully so I don't gain a ton of weight.

really pumped about this thread!!

1. medathlete
2. former D1 athlete so exercise is just second nature to me (hence the handle haha)
3. 5'5'' 140 (female)
4. TONED. that's all i want!

just started insanity a couple days ago...definitely killer if you're doing it right. starting to hate Shaun T and wish I was Tanya. totally worth it though.

really pumped about this thread!!

1. medathlete
2. former D1 athlete so exercise is just second nature to me (hence the handle haha)
3. 5'5'' 140 (female)
4. TONED. that's all i want!

just started insanity a couple days ago...definitely killer if you're doing it right. starting to hate Shaun T and wish I was Tanya. totally worth it though.

Haha I want Tanya's abs

I am actually gaining weight now. The MCAT stressing me so much I am over eating. Once I am done with the MCAT on Jan 25 I a going to the gym twice a day .

I was out Friday night and some cute girl kept wrapping her hand around my arm and dancing on me.

Looks like my hard work is paying off lol

I've lost four pounds. It's not as significant as Dudeliness, but I've noticed a difference, which I think has to do with being a tiny person.

I honestly haven't been eating healthy, but I have been listening to my body and have stopped eating when I feel full.

1. Beagle lady!
2. Starting lecom next year. Don't want to be a chunky
Med student
3. 5'9 193 pounds. Believe it or not I don't look overly large at this weight. Farm work has given me big muscles for a girl so I'm very dense haha. Just a little squishy in the midsection.
4. My goal is cardiovascular fitness, a less flabby tummy and a tighter bum! I would love to get back to 175-180. I think I look pretty fantastic at that weight. Not super thin, but still keep my big muscles and my chest and rear :)
I am a belly dancer and work on a farm. I also started tae kwon do a few weeks ago after seeing the fantastic body my sister was getting. My biggest problem is avoiding honey mustard flavored things in the vending machines, and keeping my friends from asking me to go out for fancy coffee drinks :(

Anyone else getting interview obesity? I can't help buying fast/fatty foods while traveling :(

Anyone else getting interview obesity? I can't help buying fast/fatty foods while traveling :(

Me. I've been neglecting this thread out of shame, but now that I've gone to all my scheduled interviews, I'm getting back on track. :)

Congratulations Dudeliness and good work, everyone! I love you all!

P.S. As always, here is a shameless plug for mine and NekoBeats' blog:

medschoolapphell.tumblr.com

Forget tying it to just interviews, I seem to do this whenever I'm on the road. The company I've been keeping doesn't help either.

If anyone is trying to lose weight or just stay "more active", get a pedometer. I have one on my phone (Noom Walk), and I don't sit down at night until I have >10,000 steps on it.

It sounds like such a small thing to do, but it helps so much.

Me. I've been neglecting this thread out of shame, but now that I've gone to all my scheduled interviews, I'm getting back on track. :)

Congratulations Dudeliness and good work, everyone! I love you all!

P.S. As always, here is a shameless plug for mine and NekoBeats' blog:

medschoolapphell.tumblr.com
Love this blog, I check it daily. You always seem to know exactly what I'm thinking.

1.allykat1850
2.To have more energy to tackle med school next fall
3. 6'/ 170lbs (female)
4. Be back at the weight/shape I was entering undergrad (160-165lbs)

Just discovered this thread so I thought I'd share my story.
I came out of high school a tri-sport athlete. I ran about 5miles everyday, spent an hour in the gym, ate healthy. I always had a ton of energy and kept a busy schedule.
Well, college happened. When I started this semester I had peaked at 190lbs, didn't work out, couldn't run a mile without stopping, and ate/drank crap. While I've really enjoyed college and wouldn't never give up the experience, I've noticed a steady decline in my energy, grades, and confidence as the years went on.
So this semester I've decided to change that. Nothing fancy or time consuming, less junk food, drink less, try to run occasionally, actually go to the gym. And I started to see a noticeable difference! I even had to have the suit pants I bought this summer taken in because they were way too big :)
The past two months my bf has been on the paleo diet with amazing results, but the limitations of it don't really work for me. So I've been on a highly modified version, basically no straight carbs/sugars (desserts) but all the meat/fruits/veggies I want. I also made the switch from coffee/soda to tea (splenda sweetened). That coupled with 1 hour of cardio a day has really worked for me! I'm now down 20lbs, and I'm hoping to lose the last 10 by graduation.
Besides feeling more confident in my appearance, losing the weight has given me a lot more energy, and I'm able to sleep better at night. I've also seen an improvement in my ability to focus while studying.
I had a slight pause on the diet train during November (who can pass up a cajun thanksgiving??) and I'm slightly nervous about the upcoming holiday season. But hopefully I can keep it up!

I've decided to commence fitness no earlier than January 1.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

ModernAlchemist and I restarted our fitness competition 2 weeks ago and I've managed to lose 1.3 pounds despite pigging out during my NSU interview and attending xmas parties. Yay~

This puts me at 132.4 lbs now. It would be nice to be <130 by January 1st but we'll see how that goes with Christmas approaching and all. I'll report back next year!

I hope everyone's making awesome progress :)

I want to join in!
1. Corriefangirl
2. Want to gain some self-confidence
3. 5'4 133 lbs (slightly toned)
4. I would like to get down to 115, so about 20 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

1. Beagle lady!
2. Starting lecom next year. Don't want to be a chunky
Med student
3. 5'9 193 pounds. Believe it or not I don't look overly large at this weight. Farm work has given me big muscles for a girl so I'm very dense haha. Just a little squishy in the midsection.
4. My goal is cardiovascular fitness, a less flabby tummy and a tighter bum! I would love to get back to 175-180. I think I look pretty fantastic at that weight. Not super thin, but still keep my big muscles and my chest and rear :)
I am a belly dancer and work on a farm. I also started tae kwon do a few weeks ago after seeing the fantastic body my sister was getting. My biggest problem is avoiding honey mustard flavored things in the vending machines, and keeping my friends from asking me to go out for fancy coffee drinks :(

See? Numbers don't tell the whole story :p

Count me in!

CajunMedic
Have a few different motivations: Need to lose weight so I can be a living kidney donor for my wife as well as motivate her to lose weight so she will be eligible for transplant. Also would like to pass military weight standards for HPSP/USUHS.
Currently 6'2" 260lbs, flabby in the midsection
Would like to get back down to 205 and able to pass an Army PT Test.

Count me in!

CajunMedic
Have a few different motivations: Need to lose weight so I can be a living kidney donor for my wife as well as motivate her to lose weight so she will be eligible for transplant. Also would like to pass military weight standards for HPSP/USUHS.
Currently 6'2" 260lbs, flabby in the midsection
Would like to get back down to 205 and able to pass an Army PT Test.

The 20 lbs I just lost was to pass the Air Force physical for HPSP. Being able to donate a kidney to your wife has got to be pretty dang good motivation!

Sign me up! -I'll post weight loss every monday

1. Canoedad
2. My daughter and discover an outlet for the stress of med-school
3. 246 (down ten lbs) 5'11, spare-tire
4. <14% body fat Measured by bio-impedance

P90X

Hey all! How are you guys doing with your fitness goals?

I've started rock climbing with some buddies every Tuesday and have definitely noticed increased strength in my shoulders and back. I've also been doing yoga every morning and evening and am now much more flexible than I was when I started.
My physical therapist is allowing me to do partial range of motion squats and lunges now, but still no deadlifts.

I'm hoping I can continue to gain in strength!