***Official Pre-Med School FITNESS Goal Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I go to a medical school near an easy marathon and a long training season I want to try to qualify for the Boston marathon before residency.

Won't have a job in med school, with increased training volume I might be able to pull it off if I get a tailwind the whole race.

Members don't see this ad.

If I go to a medical school near an easy marathon and a long training season I want to try to qualify for the Boston marathon before residency.

Won't have a job in med school, with increased training volume I might be able to pull it off if I get a tailwind the whole race.

An "easy" marathon? I didn't know there was such a thing. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. Easy as in no hills and no extreme weather.

Oh, so not where I live then.

My current town is home of what used to be one of the most difficult iron man locations. The last full iron man to be done here was this past summer. They will now only have half iron man competitions.
This last competition they had a full 1/4 of the participants not pass the swimming stage, and many were literally blown off their bikes. Intense.

Not a beginner workout, but still a great workout routine for most people. It can be adjusted to fit one's schedule which is what I do. I've been working out routinely for years and I find it necessary to switch workouts every now and then or else I get bored.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

And it's been mentioned, but just to reiterate - proper diet is just as important if not more important than exercising.

Oh, so not where I live then.

My current town is home of what used to be one of the most difficult iron man locations. The last full iron man to be done here was this past summer. They will now only have half iron man competitions.
This last competition they had a full 1/4 of the participants not pass the swimming stage, and many were literally blown off their bikes. Intense.

Yea I heard about those waves. That was one of the hardest for sure, but
those rankings are based on average finish times and have a seriously major flaw. They list European Ironmans as some of the easiest because they rank them based on average finish times. Problem is in Europe the cutoff is usually 15 or 16 hours to finish, whereas it's 17 hours everywhere in the US. Well if you don't count the last 2 hours of finishers, of course the average finish times will be 2 hours faster. So in US average is between 13 and 14 hours. And in Europe it's like 12-13 hours. This often creates a false illusion for people that Europeans have superior athletic abilities when in fact the data is presented in a misleading fashion.

Yea I heard about those waves. That was one of the hardest for sure, but
those rankings are based on average finish times and have a seriously major flaw. They list European Ironmans as some of the easiest because they rank them based on average finish times. Problem is in Europe the cutoff is usually 15 or 16 hours to finish, whereas it's 17 hours everywhere in the US. Well if you don't count the last 2 hours of finishers, of course the average finish times will be 2 hours faster. So in US average is between 13 and 14 hours. And in Europe it's like 12-13 hours. This often creates a false illusion for people that Europeans have superior athletic abilities when in fact the data is presented in a misleading fashion.

Hmm, I didn't know about the ranking system. I just thought they figured the St George Utah ironman was so tough because of the hilly terrain, extreme heat, and pretty constant wind. Lol

Not a beginner workout, but still a great workout routine for most people. It can be adjusted to fit one's schedule which is what I do. I've been working out routinely for years and I find it necessary to switch workouts every now and then or else I get bored.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

And it's been mentioned, but just to reiterate - proper diet is just as important if not more important than exercising.

Hey have you been doing this routine? I did the macro calculator on there, and it says I should be EATING. Like 1500cals more than I try to eat in order to shed down like 10lbs. Haha diet is my biggest weakness for sure...

I just saw this thread for the first time today! I hope it's not too late to join in on the fun. I love me some health and fitness!

Whaaat?

After the MCAT I'm cutting from 150lbs down to 130lbs to destroy some fools in Muay Thai competition. Six pack city hundo percent.

Liftin' is for meatheads. I know because I used to be one. What's so great about carrying so much muscle mass if you get your butt kicked by a kid half your size? Strength is important, but it doesn't count for as much when you are fighting somebody who knows what they are doing. I'll tell you, one of the most humbling experiences I had was getting triangle choked by a 17 year old kid at the gym! And I swear to god there are parallels in geometry between Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Organic Chemistry which is always helpful. Do yourself a favor, stop wasting your time with monotonous and repetitive weight lifting and hit the MMA gym!

Also you guys should remember: GO HIGH INTENSITY. When you go running, don't just jog like a la-di-da for 40 minutes. Do sprints for 30 seconds, followed by a two minute jog, followed by 30 second sprints, etc. It is a much more efficient way to exercise. Like literally you should feel like you are going to burst out in tears at least once during your workout otherwise you are just wasting time...

Human body = coolest machine in the universe

hsugh.gif

Haven't posted here in a while since I finished my Tough Mudder in October. I am not going to start preparing for another one in June and possibly a half-marathon or two before school starts.

Without having something to look forward to, like some sort of competition/race, I just can't encourage myself to exercise..other people have this problem?

Haven't posted here in a while since I finished my Tough Mudder in October. I am not going to start preparing for another one in June and possibly a half-marathon or two before school starts.

Without having something to look forward to, like some sort of competition/race, I just can't encourage myself to exercise..other people have this problem?

I'd like to do a Tough Mudder this year. It will be here in St. Louis on September 13/14!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, late to the party but I just recently joined SDN for interview feedback on DO schools, but I wanted to contribute and hopefully motivate some people as we get closer to the upcoming school year.

1. MrKafkaesque
2. I don't want my weight ruining my first impression with a patient, and if I'm trying to give a rousing pep talk to keep the patient out of diabetes-land by losing weight and exercising, then he/she shouldn't be able to look at me and say "you first buddy."
3. 5/11'' Started at 284 pounds November 2011, currently 189 pounds (95 pounds lost total as of yesterday). I lift 3 times a week and run 2-3 times a week between lifting days
4. Get down to 175, visible abs, vascular arms

EDIT: Forgot to mention that after doing the Carlsbad Half marathon as a run/walk with my girlfriend, I'm going to run the San Diego Half for time on March 10th (then immediately afterwards drive up to Vallejo for my Touro interview :p )

Last edited:
Hey have you been doing this routine? I did the macro calculator on there, and it says I should be EATING. Like 1500cals more than I try to eat in order to shed down like 10lbs. Haha diet is my biggest weakness for sure...

Yeah, I like it since it mixes different workouts for the same muscle groups on a weekly basis. Not sure if you watched the intro vid, but he mentions not to concern too much with calorie intake, but instead keep track of portion sizes. I basically eat when my body tells me to and I never eat until I am completely full (usually about 5-6 meals/snacks per day). I don't follow his diet specifically, so I just eat as healthy as I can. Right now I am not taking any protein shakes or supplements cause I can't really afford it, but I would if I could. Depends how much effort you put into cardio as well.

I guess I should share my fitness info even if I am a little late. :)

1. Doctor2Be13

2. I am motivated by the way I feel when I eat healthy and exercise regularly. It makes every day better. I'm a big supporter of "don't go on a diet, make a lifestyle change." I am also motivated by being a good role model. I've already encouraged family members, friends, and coworkers to make positive lifestyle changes, and when they succeed, it is the best feeling! I also want to set an example as a future physician. I never want to practice the phrase "do as I say, not as I do."

3. I'm 5' 7.5" and 126 lbs. I have a little extra belly fat, but could really use some tone.

4. I could care less whether my weight goes up or down as long as my body fat percentage decreases, and I get some noticeable tone and increased flexibility. I was a dancer until college and would not mind getting my dancer body back (minus the lower back problems I experienced).

I think that answers everything! I have done a lot of personal research on nutrition over the past couple of years, and while I gained some fitness knowledge, I hope to gain even more!

Just found this thread, but I still want to jump on board. I hate exercising more than almost anything in the world. Getting me to work out is like pulling teeth. Today is the start of my workout routine. I plan to do 3 days a week of toning & cardio and 2 days a week of swimming laps.
1. BuddyTheElf
2. Nothing motivates me to work out, really. Still trying to find what works for me. I've started a jar that I put $1 in every time I go to the gym.. when I hit my goal I can spend the money on whatever. Hopefully that'll motivate me ;)
3. 5'10", around 160? Haven't weighed myself lately. Like most women, I want to slim my hips/thighs/stomach.
4. Would like to get down to 130-ish. The number isn't as important as feeling good and looking toned.

Medical school starts in August and my wedding is in September.. so I need to make sure I fit in my dress!
Good luck to everyone in their weight loss! :D

Yeah, I like it since it mixes different workouts for the same muscle groups on a weekly basis. Not sure if you watched the intro vid, but he mentions not to concern too much with calorie intake, but instead keep track of portion sizes. I basically eat when my body tells me to and I never eat until I am completely full (usually about 5-6 meals/snacks per day). I don't follow his diet specifically, so I just eat as healthy as I can. Right now I am not taking any protein shakes or supplements cause I can't really afford it, but I would if I could. Depends how much effort you put into cardio as well.

Yeah I found his (stoppani I think?) cardio interval workout. But I think I might start doing that workout it looks to be really good, I've been just doing my own kind of routine I guess like 3-4 days a week of weights, I don't like cardio much. If I do do it it's definitely HITT.
What are your fitness goals?

Yeah I found his (stoppani I think?) cardio interval workout. But I think I might start doing that workout it looks to be really good, I've been just doing my own kind of routine I guess like 3-4 days a week of weights, I don't like cardio much. If I do do it it's definitely HITT.

As of now I am just trying to stay fit and slowly gain some more strength. Trying to get my max Dead Lift and Squat up a bit more. I'm 5'8 155lbs 6-7%body fat. 22 pull ups, 80+ push ups, ~6min mile time (maybe less). I'm doing HPSP btw, which is partly why I take pull up/push up/mile into account lol so I am also trying to work on those numbers just for personal preference.

I am not trying to cut more weight than that, so I might cheat on a cardio sometimes. I also play soccer to substitute for usual cardio workouts.

Gotta love HIIT.

HIIT is great. Two of my cycling workouts during the week are strictly HIIT. I usually improve better fitness through that than just putting in base miles. Good thing about HIIT is that you can use it for any type of training.

I'll tell you, one of the most humbling experiences I had was getting triangle choked by a 17 year old kid at the gym! And I swear to god there are parallels in geometry between Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Organic Chemistry which is always helpful. Do yourself a favor, stop wasting your time with monotonous and repetitive weight lifting and hit the MMA gym!.

Hmm.. then, you'll have a more humbling experience if you get shot to death by 10-year-old kid via a pistol. WTF! :confused:

People here aren't gonna be future MMA fighters but docs, who most of the time are gonna be working their asses off from day one in med school. An optimal work out schedule to keep up with a good bodily shape possible while acing the exams and other medical chores on the way would more than suffice. Well, at least it's the deal for me.

I'd personally count on swimming, cycling, and walking/running on the threadmill as a great work out, as well as pumping some weights weekly.

Besides, power makes a great difference (and that's coming from a black belt judo practioner.)

Hmm.. then, you'll have a more humbling experience if you get shot to death by 10-year-old kid via a pistol. WTF! :confused:

People here aren't gonna be future MMA fighters but docs, who most of the time are gonna be working their asses off from day one in med school. An optimal work out schedule to keep up with a good bodily shape possible while acing the exams and other medical chores on the way would more than suffice. Well, at least it's the deal for me.

I'd personally count on swimming, cycling, and walking/running on the threadmill as a great work out, as well as pumping some weights weekly.

Besides, power makes a great difference (and that's coming from a black belt judo practioner.)

Haha. He also says he was a "meathead" and he weighs 150. What was your off season weight? 175? Sorry. venting at people that hate on those that strive to big.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

I bit my tongue when I first read his post. But good for him for finding something he likes... but just because you find something to be boring and "monotonous", it doesn't mean I do.

Also... I hate to say it, but not every big guy has gotten his ass kicked by a trained smaller dude. Open your mind. You'll need it in medicine.

I know I posted a while back, but I just wanted to say I'm back on the horse.

I take my mcat on 5/11 and have a goal to weigh 185 (or less) by 5/10.

Started at 209, and down to 205 so far. Doing daily timed runs and resistance training every other day.

Anyone have any recommendations for how to safely strengthen the lower back muscles without using any equipment? I know a couple yoga poses, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas! Thanks :)

Anyone have any recommendations for how to safely strengthen the lower back muscles without using any equipment? I know a couple yoga poses, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas! Thanks :)

Do the rowing machine. It is pretty safe machine..although it is a machine. You generally need some sort of equipment for the back.

Do the rowing machine. It is pretty safe machine..although it is a machine. You generally need some sort of equipment for the back.

Rowing is not really gonna work your lower back. More lats and upper back muscles. If you have weights... dead lift variations and good mornings.
Yoga poses are good. Cobra pose is a good one for low back I can think of.
If your lifting weights tho I would suggest strengthening ur low back with wrights also.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Touchpause 13: currently: size 10, with a few problem ares, goal: get back into. Rugby shape after my injury and look hot in my wedding dress, shoting for a size 6/140lb - I'm 5'9

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

So what could it mean if I haven't been exercising and have had no weight loss/gain recently and yet my biceps are now looking more defined than they ever have before? Luck?

So what could it mean if I haven't been exercising and have had no weight loss/gain recently and yet my biceps are now looking more defined than they ever have before? Luck?

Your scale might suck.

I mean your scale might give inaccurate readings if it gets moved or kicked.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I don't think I've posted in here since December or so. ModernAlchemist wanted to scrap our fitness competition because he was losing because he wanted us to support each other rather than compete against each other :rolleyes:. So the fitness competition is no more! But since then, I've continued to walk/run about 2.25 miles every other day. Compared to last year, I don't get as tired running up a hill and can run further without stopping. I also decided to change my diet up. I was counting calories for the longest time, but I realized that I actually eat way too many carbs. Now I only eat carbs during dinner and for lunch I usually just have a light soup or lean protein.

Anyway, I checked my weight this morning and I am now 127.8 pounds! This means I've lost over 12 pounds since December 2011 (when I weighed my heaviest), and about 6 pounds since December 7th, 2012. The last time I weighed in the 120s was about 4 years when I was a sophomore in undergrad. I can't believe it took me this long to get under 130, but it sure feels good :D. Woo!

+1 Fellow 120s gal here. I'm finally down to 125, I thought I'd be stuck in the 130s forever! I've lost 11 lbs since New Years. Now just 15 more to go :)

I don't think I've posted in here since December or so. ModernAlchemist wanted to scrap our fitness competition because he was losing because he wanted us to support each other rather than compete against each other :rolleyes:. So the fitness competition is no more! But since then, I've continued to walk/run about 2.25 miles every other day. Compared to last year, I don't get as tired running up a hill and can run further without stopping. I also decided to change my diet up. I was counting calories for the longest time, but I realized that I actually eat way too many carbs. Now I only eat carbs during dinner and for lunch I usually just have a light soup or lean protein.

Anyway, I checked my weight this morning and I am now 127.8 pounds! This means I've lost over 12 pounds since December 2011 (when I weighed my heaviest), and about 6 pounds since December 7th, 2012. The last time I weighed in the 120s was about 4 years when I was a sophomore in undergrad. I can't believe it took me this long to get under 130, but it sure feels good :D. Woo!

Nice job on the weight loss! It can be hard to keep "competitions" or special programs going, but what's really important is to develop some lasting healthy habits like running regularly and being more conscious of food choices.
In other words, good on ya!

+1 Fellow 120s gal here. I'm finally down to 125, I thought I'd be stuck in the 130s forever! I've lost 11 lbs since New Years. Now just 15 more to go :)

You lost 11 pounds since New Years 2013?! That's some awesome progress in a short amount of time haha

Nice job on the weight loss! It can be hard to keep "competitions" or special programs going, but what's really important is to develop some lasting healthy habits like running regularly and being more conscious of food choices.
In other words, good on ya!

Thanks dudeliness! Yeah hopefully I can keep this up long enough to make it a habit. Occasionally I get a craving for something with carbohydrates..like pizza..pasta..rice. Hopefully with time the cravings will stop!

Dang I'm not even close to that.

to be fair, I've been at this on and off for a long time, I should be way past that number by now lol. laziness and life get the best of me sometimes.

Glute ham raises, if you can immobilize your feet for them. They're not easy, but you'll make great gains.

You lost 11 pounds since New Years 2013?! That's some awesome progress in a short amount of time haha
Aww thanks! It's starting to slow down a bit but as long as I'm a size 2 by summer I'll be pleased :D

So I wasn't going to post, but I just read that much of OMM lab is done SHIRTLESS and am now far more motivated to lose this nagging 5 lbs than I have been for years. I must reach my goal weight by July when orientation starts.

SN: DestinedDoctor
Motivation: Hot guys, being shirtless in front of anyone, to be able to just throw clothes on and not have to think about hiding jiggly bits
Current: 138 lbs and doughy
Goal: 133lbs

It's a small goal and I shouldn't complain about how hard it is...but it's so hard! I know what my weakness is that's keeping me from it: late night eating. It's actually late night snacking that gets so out of control that I go to sleep with 700+ calories in my stomach ready to be used, and fated only to be stored. It's 8:13pm as I post this. I declare tonight will be the first night in months I ward off the late night munchies. Thank you SDN for informing me of my up-coming exposure!

So I wasn't going to post, but I just read that much of OMM lab is done SHIRTLESS and am now far more motivated to lose this nagging 5 lbs than I have been for years. I must reach my goal weight by July when orientation starts.

SN: DestinedDoctor
Motivation: Hot guys, being shirtless in front of anyone, to be able to just throw clothes on and not have to think about hiding jiggly bits
Current: 138 lbs and doughy
Goal: 133lbs

It's a small goal and I shouldn't complain about how hard it is...but it's so hard! I know what my weakness is that's keeping me from it: late night eating. It's actually late night snacking that gets so out of control that I go to sleep with 700+ calories in my stomach ready to be used, and fated only to be stored. It's 8:13pm as I post this. I declare tonight will be the first night in months I ward off the late night munchies. Thank you SDN for informing me of my up-coming exposure!

How tall are you?

5'9 and 138, and you are "doughy?!" I'm having a hard time picturing that

Same. My ex was 5'8" 145ish and she was not doughy at all.