OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a snail-mail rejection letter from VCU clinical psychology PhD program. With no interview it wasn't too surprising

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else still waiting for rejections from schools from which people have already gotten official rejections? I didn't get interviews at BU, Rutgers, or UConn but people seem to have already gotten official rejections from some of them, and a week or more ago. Also nothing from CUNY, where I DID interview. April first is fast approaching. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Is anyone else still waiting for rejections from schools from which people have already gotten official rejections? I didn't get interviews at BU, Rutgers, or UConn but people seem to have already gotten official rejections from some of them, and a week or more ago. Also nothing from CUNY, where I DID interview. April first is fast approaching. Any ideas?

i have not heard from CUNY (Clin PhD) either and i interviewed there too (Feb 24). maybe they have a waitlist but don't tell people. or, they don't send out rejections until they fill their spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected Stanford-PGSP PsyD this afternoon by email. I honestly thought it would be less competitive than the other programs that I applied to.

Briefly to vent although noone will care:
Their interview process was lame. I get there in the morning, two faculty come in and talk for like 10 min about logistic/financial stuff, I interview with a Stanford PhD who doesn't teach in the program for 15min, interview with one of the profs who gave the introduction, then done. You meet with grad students for lunch but they are not at all part of the interview process. You tour the new campus but thats not part of the interview. My POIs at the school whose research I'm interested in aren't there to meet, none of the insightful questions I have for the grad students are part of the schools impression of me, my interviewers don't know my file (hadn't even seen the title of my writing sample or known to ask me obvious questions about my transcript every other school noticed), I flew to CA to leave 45min of an impression on that school and I met 3 people who evaluated me. Also surprising that one interviewer tells me I would be very competitive for a scholarship then I got rejected. At other schools I had more like 20 min with each of the 4-5 profs I was interested in, plus interviews, and grad students impressions counted. Sorry, I'm so bitter, at least I had good offers elsewhere.

Rejected Stanford-PGSP PsyD this afternoon by email. I honestly thought it would be less competitive than the other programs that I applied to.

Briefly to vent although noone will care:
Their interview process was lame. I get there in the morning, two faculty come in and talk for like 10 min about logistic/financial stuff, I interview with a Stanford PhD who doesn't teach in the program for 15min, interview with one of the profs who gave the introduction, then done. You meet with grad students for lunch but they are not at all part of the interview process. You tour the new campus but thats not part of the interview. My POIs at the school whose research I'm interested in aren't there to meet, none of the insightful questions I have for the grad students are part of the schools impression of me, my interviewers don't know my file (hadn't even seen the title of my writing sample or known to ask me obvious questions about my transcript every other school noticed), I flew to CA to leave 45min of an impression on that school and I met 3 people who evaluated me. Also surprising that one interviewer tells me I would be very competitive for a scholarship then I got rejected. At other schools I had more like 20 min with each of the 4-5 profs I was interested in, plus interviews, and grad students impressions counted. Sorry, I'm so bitter, at least I had good offers elsewhere.

Sorry the hear....I had a similar experience with another school. I was interviewed by a person I was not even interested in working with, who asked me very general questions (strengths and weaknesses, why this program, tell me about yourself, etc). I did not get to talk to my POI. It was a very frustrating and annoying experience and I felt like the school was not even interested in me.

At least you got good offers elsewhere. Good Luck with those:luck:.

Rejected Stanford-PGSP PsyD this afternoon by email.

I flew to CA to leave 45min of an impression on that school and I met 3 people who evaluated me.

I have to stay that I felt my interview at PGSP-Stanford sounds like it was structured the same but I found it to be a lot more meaningful. I had three 30 minute interviews (2 profs, 1 advanced student) and found the morning informational session to be really helpful.

I still haven't gotten word from them regarding accept/reject. Only a vague but promising email last week. Not even sure that they are my #1 but I'm still curious.

While I already knew I was rejected from Rutgers, they made sure to send me a message, not once but FOUR TIMES, to say I had been rejected.:laugh:

Talk about thorough. I actually laughed when I saw the same message four times. Ok. I know. I'm not a consideration. GEEZ. Internet bullies.

Peace.:cool:

While I already knew I was rejected from Rutgers, they made sure to send me a message, not once but FOUR TIMES, to say I had been rejected.:laugh:

Talk about thorough. I actually laughed when I saw the same message four times. Ok. I know. I'm not a consideration. GEEZ. Internet bullies.

Peace.:cool:

One of those was probably for me - they haven't been bothered to send me an official one yes, even though the DCT and my POI have both told me I'm out.

Still, I'm all for being rejected early and often. It's second only to being accepted.

I'm in the same boat so I'm confused. This makes me wonder about the other schools who I haven't heard ANYTHING from and have neither been interviewed nor rejected from. DId they even receive my app??

I contacted 2 schools I haven't heard anythign from, and both told me they had already made offers to other people but were still considering me. I think they both have unranked waitlists, per POI. In that case the "waitlist" is pretty complicated, and so unless they are sure they dont want you they don't tell you anything until they are sure they won't make you an offer (which could be after april 15th).

p.s., at one of these schools, the first year clinical ph.d. student I stayed with during the interview weekend told me she heard absolutely NOTHING from the program and assumed she was rejected, until she got an offer on April 14th...which she accepted. I say (if you interviewed) you are not definitely rejected until they tell you so.

Rejection email from POI today at SUNY Binghamton after interview. Not too surprised because I didn't really like the program and left feeling not too pleased with the interview or the POI but still stings a little to hear that haha..
Good luck to the rest of you!

And another one bites the dust.

Rejected Yesterday from Georgia State University (Clinical PhD) via snail mail.

Received an email rejection from Rutgers Clinical PsyD a couple of weeks ago.

Received my rejection to Wash U in St. Louis today via snail mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got rejected! :laugh: How in the world did I get accepted to fantastic schools & not accepted a school that isn't all that desireable?! Good thing this didn't happen at the beginning of the acceptances or else I would've been freaking out that no one would want me! :laugh:

i got the official rejection letter from gwu yesterday... which is funny, because i declined their invite to interview there! so i rejected THEM. haha.

i got the official rejection letter from gwu yesterday... which is funny, because i declined their invite to interview there! so i rejected THEM. haha.

That is funny. It looks like they wanted the last word on your application status :D
I visualized responses and counter responses that would draw the committee in a vortex, ultimately creating an internal systems collapse. Oh! That felt so good.

I received a rejection letter from GWU also, but I declined their offer to interview. I was very tempted to send them an email just to ensure I got the last laugh on the matter - make sure they know that I rejected them, not the other way around! :)

I got a rejection letter from U of Montana via snail mail. This would have hurt a lot more had it been a few days ago. :D

Has anyone gotten an official rejection from Xavier yet?

Any rejections from Widener yet? Just heard about acceptances...scaaared

Has anyone gotten a written acceptance or rejection from University of Denver? All I've heard about our phone call acceptances.

Got a voicemail (very polite and personal) rejection from NU-Feinberg today. Same day I made the decision to attend another school. The stars align...

Has anyone else been offered a masters instead of the PhD at a program? That is what happened to me with TC, just wondering if anyone else has a similar thing happen?:confused:

Yeah, that happened to me with EMU, though I don't know yet if I got in (nor will I ever, seeing as how I withdrew my app).

Has anyone else been offered a masters instead of the PhD at a program? That is what happened to me with TC, just wondering if anyone else has a similar thing happen?:confused:

When I applied to TC a few years ago the same thing happened to me. My understanding is that TC customarily offers their MA option to a percentage of its applicants. A few people in my doctoral program went to TC for the masters before applying to doctoral programs, or if they wanted to strengthen their applications before re-applying. I'm guessing other schools may have similar policies to TC.

Has anyone gotten a written acceptance or rejection from University of Denver? All I've heard about our phone call acceptances.

I received my written acceptance about 5 days after I received my phone acceptance. Hope that helps.

Received my letter of rejection to Xavier today via snail mail. Letter was short, curt, and impersonal.

Rejected from all programs except Syracuse - where I'm waitlisted. Haven't heard from them since finding out that I was on the waitlist on March 3rd.

Anybody accepting/rejecting Syracuse? PM me if you want.

I got a rejection letter from U of Montana via snail mail. This would have hurt a lot more had it been a few days ago. :D

I am still waiting to hear from them. I have a few offers, but Montana is my first choice due to my research interests. I am biting my nails while I wait. Hopefully I will hear soon.

I am in the same boat with CUNY. I called and the only thing that the admissions office would tell me is that a decision has not yet been made.

EEK!

I received a rejection letter from GWU also, but I declined their offer to interview. I was very tempted to send them an email just to ensure I got the last laugh on the matter - make sure they know that I rejected them, not the other way around! :)

I too received a "rejection" letter from GW a month after declining their offer to interview. My favorite part is how they say, "This decision, therefore, may not reflect adversely upon your potential for graduate study at another institution." :)

I received an official rejection from UNT's Clinical Psych PhD program today via snail mail.

Has anyone received an official rejection yet? I am pretty confident that I didn't get in, but when I emailed the secretary last week, she kind of insinuated that they may be interviewing more people...?

I don't know whether to mail my acceptance letter to the program that I think I want to go to if I'm not absolutely positive about Cincinnati yet. Grr.

Has anyone received an official rejection yet? I am pretty confident that I didn't get in, but when I emailed the secretary last week, she kind of insinuated that they may be interviewing more people...?

I don't know whether to mail my acceptance letter to the program that I think I want to go to if I'm not absolutely positive about Cincinnati yet. Grr.

For that matter, I haven't officially heard from UWashington. To whom do I send my stern letter of complaint about their missing the 4/1 deadline?

I kid. A little.

I haven't heard anything at all from Cincinnati also.

I haven't heard anything at all from Cincinnati also.

Yeah, I feel as though this whole process was very disorganized for them...I didn't have any problems with any other schools, but UC has been frustrating to deal with--I have had to initiate all correspondence with them, and at this point, I just want them to make it official and tell me that they don't want me so I can stop wondering!

bleh
no graduate school for me...despite a 4.00 and a 1410 GRE
anyone else depressed?

Did anyone get an official rejection from John Jay's Clinical Forensic Psych PhD program? It was the school with the highest fee and I heard nothing from them other than that they received all my application materials.

Got my official rejection letters from UMBC and University at Buffalo. Not that I wanted to go there, but I was a little disappointed with Buffalo because I have given so much to the program and school since I have been there for so long (I am currently in my 7th year there).

bleh
no graduate school for me...despite a 4.00 and a 1410 GRE
anyone else depressed?

Tell me about it- In the past, I was accepted into a PhD program with a GRE about 200 points lower than my current score (also in in the 1400s) and this year I'm still waiting...

I guess that's the "fit" everyone talks about?

U of Washington finally deigned to notify me of my rejection--received via email today. The letter was very nice, actually.

Officially rejected from University of North Dakota

Last edited:
Guess what--I FINALLY received my official rejection letter from American University on June 4th. Very timely.

Guess what--I FINALLY received my official rejection letter from American University on June 4th. Very timely.

You should tell them you're going to bigger and better places and that you don't need their approval anymore!

Haha, I didn't like the program that much when I interviewed, anyway. Of course, I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if I hadn't gotten admitted into another place.