OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whenever I get a rejection, I just go "Who wants to live in (place school is located), anyway!?"

It helps, a little ;)

I wish I could say that about the rejection I got from UC Berkeley today! I would love to live there:(

Members don't see this ad.

Official rejection notice from Penn today. Really, what were they waiting for?

Sigh.

Official rejection via snail mail on 3/3 from University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which was expected because I did not interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was rejected from Emory's Clinical PhD program via email yesterday. I knew it was coming, but yesterday was the day!

I had to actually contact my poi on monday(the 2nd) at emory. Apparently i've been waitlisted. she told me they had severe budget cuts and that the whole process has been a mess, and they're currently looking for other funding, but the way she worded it Im not holding out much hope of gettin off that waitlist, :( it was my top choice, grrr. But at least we can probably blame it on budget cuts haha

Yes, they've notified applicants of interviews to be taking place this week and next. Sorry!

Received my snail mail rejections from UNC-Chapel Hill and UC-Berkeley.

No surprise... but my first "hard copy" rejection. I ripped it up and it improved my mood! haha.

Last edited:
Don't forget what K. Vonnegut said in his book, A Man Without a Country...

"The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is."

and my other favorite: Who knows what worse luck our bad luck has saved us from.

(these helped me get through some rough internship rejections)

Don't forget what K. Vonnegut said in his book, A Man Without a Country...

"The truth is, we know so little about life, we don't really know what the good news is and what the bad news is."

and my other favorite: Who knows what worse luck our bad luck has saved us from.

(these helped me get through some rough internship rejections)

I like this! I think it's so true that we often cannot know what's "for the best" in the larger scheme of things. Certainly true for the application process for grad school and for internships!:rolleyes:

I checked the online application tracker:
Your application for 09 Fall has been completed and you will receive a letter with our decision shortly.
I'm guessing my first rejection as I didn't interview with them. Any one else hear from them?

Adelphi interviews are taking place this week and next-- they contacted candidates a few weeks ago.

N/M, I created a wait-list thread ;)

Last edited:
Snail mail rejection from Univ. of Oregon. Clinical Psych

Snail mail rejection from UVA Curry. Expected since I didn't interview, but still sucks!

Received a rejection from Univ of Miami via snail mail today. It was expected since I did not get an interview.

The letter basically said (in roundabout terms) my GRE were 30 points too low and my two years of research was not enough. I'm really bummed out about this one, since I thought I was a good match for the school and I did not even get an interview.

Oh well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mass e-mail rejections: Drexel, Fordham
Snail mail rejections: UMaryland, CUNY Queens, Fairleigh Dickinson U
Waitlisted via snail mail: Syracuse

UConn and Suffolk mentioned that they've already had interviews on their website so I'm assuming that no word from them = no chance.

Other schools don't mail, call, or email so I don't know what to expect anymore. I had one interview @ Adelphi.

Anybody heard from SUNY Binghamton or Columbia University? Both Clinical Neuropsych. PhD programs?

I received a rejection (snail mail) from U of Missouri Columbia yesterday. It was a very nice and classy letter.

I attended a SUNY Binghamton Clinical PhD interview last weekend. I'm not sure about neuropsych. Clinical faculty are finished interviewing and will have a meeting for decisions tomorrow.

UConn and Suffolk mentioned that they've already had interviews on their website so I'm assuming that no word from them = no chance.

Other schools don't mail, call, or email so I don't know what to expect anymore. I had one interview @ Adelphi.

Anybody heard from SUNY Binghamton or Columbia University? Both Clinical Neuropsych. PhD programs?

When did you get the Maryland rejection yenotik?

I can finally post since I got accepted into my top choice, and I don't have to worry about the bad karama :D :

I have collected the following snail mail rejection letters:

Loyola Chicago (Clinical PhD)
Indiana State (PsyD)
Virginia Consortium (PsyD)
DePaul (Clinical PhD)
George Mason (Clinical PhD)

The UMD rejection letter came on February 14th - great valentines day gift!

Hear Ye Hear Ye,
According to my new best friend Julie in the Denver PsyD admissions office, contrary to popular belief, Denver is still very much in the active phase of selecting people to interview. So if , like me, you haven't been rejected outright yet, there may still be good news on the horizon!

Also posted this on the interview thread but just to make sure...

Has anybody received a post-interview rejection (someone that interviewed and was subsequently rejected) from Loyola Chicago? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post. Thanks!

Hear Ye Hear Ye,
According to my new best friend Julie in the Denver PsyD admissions office, contrary to popular belief, Denver is still very much in the active phase of selecting people to interview. So if , like me, you haven't been rejected outright yet, there may still be good news on the horizon!

Funny you mention this....I have yet to hear a word from Denver too! It hasn't been the best feeling and I wasn't too hopeful, but that's interesting that you say that. How did Julie tell you this? Did you call up or what? Their policy on not calling, etc is a bit intimidating and also frustrating.

have their been official rejections to denver's psyd program?

I got rejection letters (snail mail) today from:
University of Nevada, Reno Clinical Program
University of Missouri, Columbia Clinical Program
Harvard University, Clinical Science Program
University of Chicago Comparative Human Development Program

I also got rejected from:
Yale Developmental Psych
University of Texas Austin Evolutionary Psych
UCSB Evolutionary Psych

Has anyone been rejected from University of Virginia Psychology Department Clinical Program (Not Curry School)?

Has anyone been rejected from the UNLV Clinical Program or University of Tennessee Knoxville or the University of Kentucky Clinical Programs?

Has anyone been rejected from University of Virginia Psychology Department Clinical Program (Not Curry School)?

Not officially, but given that they've had their interviews and I was not invited I have to assume that I was.

I was rejected from UK, but I didn't get an interview there.

When were you rejected from UK? Was it through email or snail mail?

I just got my rejection from Berkeley (not surprised since I didn't get an interview) but did anyone else notice the HUGE typo in the last paragraph?! hmmmm

I was wait listed at UMiami a couple of weeks ago but today I was notified that the 1st choice accepted. No other interviews. Can't say that this is a great day but as everyone keeps on telling me .. Things happen for a reason.:(

At this point, it is pretty much safe to say that I got rejected from every PhD program (8 total) to which I applied, as I did not receive any interviews. I am extremely disappointed, and feel like a complete failure. But on the other hand, I know that my application had weaknesses (not enough experience) and I had to choose schools because of their geographic locations. *sigh*

I was officially rejected from (all clinical) DePaul, Loyola Chicago, UMass Boston, and Fordham, unoffically from Northwestern-Feinberg, and the nail is pretty much in the coffin for the rest.

I've transferred my application to masters programs at Loyola, Northwestern, DePaul, and UMass Boston. I had an interview at Northwestern last Friday... waiting to hear back from all!

This board has been both a source of extreme anxiety, yet comfort and bonding with others in the same boat. I wish everyone the best of luck in their futures, wherever it may take you! :luck:

At this point, it is pretty much safe to say that I got rejected from every PhD program (8 total) to which I applied, as I did not receive any interviews. I am extremely disappointed, and feel like a complete failure. But on the other hand, I know that my application had weaknesses (not enough experience) and I had to choose schools because of their geographic locations. *sigh*

I was officially rejected from (all clinical) DePaul, Loyola Chicago, UMass Boston, and Fordham, unoffically from Northwestern-Feinberg, and the nail is pretty much in the coffin for the rest.

I've transferred my application to masters programs at Loyola, Northwestern, DePaul, and UMass Boston. I had an interview at Northwestern last Friday... waiting to hear back from all!

This board has been both a source of extreme anxiety, yet comfort and bonding with others in the same boat. I wish everyone the best of luck in their futures, wherever it may take you! :luck:

I had a friend who got rejected from 10 schools last year and this year was accepted at her top two choices. She said that she thought the right people just weren't listening last year and this year they heard her. Don't lose hope! If you've made the decision to get your PhD, you will do it-- the path there just might not be what you thought it would be. A master's from any of those schools would significantly help your chances for getting into a PhD program in the future.

Good luck!

I had a friend who got rejected from 10 schools last year and this year was accepted at her top two choices. She said that she thought the right people just weren't listening last year and this year they heard her. Don't lose hope! If you've made the decision to get your PhD, you will do it-- the path there just might not be what you thought it would be. A master's from any of those schools would significantly help your chances for getting into a PhD program in the future.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm trying to keep faith :oops:

I emailed the DCT at Virginia Tech on 2/2 and he had said that interviews were complete, but there would likely be another set of interviews in March, has anyone received an interview invite at for this month? Thanks.

Got my official snail mail rejections from University of Southern California and Harvard yesterday and a "denied" on my UT-Austin status page a few days ago. Still waiting on a few more rejection letters in my mailbox considering I only got one interview. But hey, it only takes one school, right?

I received my rejection via snail mail today from VA Consortium. Granted, after visiting the program for interviews, it went much further down on my list, but I it would have been nice to get my first offer... ANYWHERE at this point! :oops:

Plus, the letter itself was simple and succinct... but actually bordered on rude (and could have been written MUCH better).

Oh well... time to drown my sorrows with a rock concert and a few beers! :p

Although I haven't received the official rejection, the lab I interviewed for has offered admission to another applicant and he/she accepted at Louisville. Congrats to whoever took the position! Back to waiting...

any news on denver's psyd program regarding interview invitations and/or rejections?

any news on denver's psyd program regarding interview invitations and/or rejections?

When I attended the 2/28 interview, they said they were aiming to have decisions mailed out starting around 3/15. However, I received an e-mail yesterday (with a survey attached), which stated that we should have our decisions within the next 2 weeks. Hope that helps!

I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you interview there and do you mind telling me / or pming who your POI was?
Rejection from Binghamton via email yesterday. They said they will be sending it out via snail mail as well.

Bwahahaha, EMU sent me another rejection letter--this time from the grad admissions office. Was that REALLY necessary, guys?

Yeah, PLUS they originally called me before mailing the initial letter. So now I've been rejected by them three times!

I was never interviewed, so I was expecting it. There was no contact prior to their email =(