OFFICIAL Rejection Thread for 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
EMU = Eastern Michigan University I assume?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah. Sorry, I didn't specify because I'd mentioned the rejection earlier :D

Lol, I was making a joke because every time i read EMU I think of an emu. Didn't mean to offend you.

It's okay, I kept calling it "Emu" for a while, too. It made me giggle :D

I've been rejected from Michigan, Princeton, Waterloo, Western, Queens.

Very disappointed...

sorry this is also non-clinical.

Just got the Ottawa one right now.

Last edited:
any news on denver's psyd program regarding interview invitations and/or rejections?

Don't know if it helps with the specific question you asked but I interviewed at DU PsyD a week ago and haven't heard anything at all back. We were told not to expect anything until late march/ early april.

I think I didn't do as well at the Denver interview as I did at other schools, and there was a huge group of great candidates. I'd be surprised if I got in because there were so many great picks and I didn't do very much to stand out. So, I think no rejections sent yet, but I don't know for sure. All I can say is good luck. Denver was definitely a high calibur competitive program.

I was officially rejected from (all clinical) DePaul, Loyola Chicago, UMass Boston, and Fordham, unoffically from Northwestern-Feinberg, and the nail is pretty much in the coffin for the rest.

How does one get rejected unofficially?

I'm so used to getting rejected. I feel your pain!

I think it's because most people assume you're unofficially rejected if you haven't gotten an interview after interview days and after initiations have been extended. There are sometime exceptions but usually if you don't get an interview, you are pretty much s*** out of luck.
How does one get rejected unofficially?

I'm so used to getting rejected. I feel your pain!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected via snail mail over the weekend

Got my official rejection letter from UMiami Clinical Child pHD and Boston University Clinical phD today (both snail mail). I didn't get interviews there so I'm not at all surprised. :shrug:

Now, while I know I was "unofficially" rejected, I was curious to see if the website updated my app status. I was "denied admission." Why, thank you Rutgers.

The world continues to turn.

Peace.:cool:

E-mailed coordinator at UT austin On Friday. Got a reply stating I was rejected.

My status had not been changed at webpage.

Rejected via snail mail today. Very generic letter from The Graduate School. I was a little annoyed because I interviewed there over a month ago and emailed the DCT 2 weeks ago with no response . . . I thought the least they could do was reply. It's not cheap going to those interviews!

Got rejection letter (FINALLY!) from Purdue (Clinical PhD) today. I couldn't stand waiting but already knew it was coming since no interview. :lame:

Anyone got rejected from the GWU psyd program after an interview??

Received a rejection email from the DCT at Drexel today...

Hey there! We were told at the interview that we wouldn't hear back until the 23rd at the earliest, so I wouldn't expect them to send out decisions before then.

Anyone got rejected from the GWU psyd program after an interview??

Received a rejection email from the DCT at Drexel today...

I got that same e-mail from Drexel, had an interview 2/20. I had already assumed I was rejected, but it was nice to have something official anyway so I could cross that one off my list. ::Sigh::

I got that same e-mail from Drexel, had an interview 2/20. I had already assumed I was rejected, but it was nice to have something official anyway so I could cross that one off my list. ::Sigh::

Hey guys, sorry to hear that. Question -- did either of you who got emails from the DCT yesterday also get a phone call about the MS program? I'm still trying to figure out if that means I am rejected from the PhD. I guess I'm wondering if they will not bother sending a formal rejection email since they are still "offering" something, albeit not what I wanted. I emailed my POI so I'll let you all know as things become clearer...

I think it's because most people assume you're unofficially rejected if you haven't gotten an interview after interview days and after initiations have been extended. There are sometime exceptions but usually if you don't get an interview, you are pretty much s*** out of luck.

Northwestern-Feinberg, kind of a weird story, like I knew there was a Masters program at NU that I would want to apply to if I didn't get into the PhD program. But the Graduate School doesn't let you get rejected from one program and apply to another in the same year. So when I heard they started calling people and then were going to post official rejections on the website the following week, I called and explained the situation to them. So the secretary told me that no, I wasn't in the running for an interview (i.e. I would be rejected), so I had her transfer my application to the other dept before they could officially "reject" me. Now I'm waiting to be accepted/rejected at the new program!!

Oh yeah and by unofficially you mean don't hear anything but don't get rejected either, that is still the case for UIC, BU, and Columbia TC. Thanks guys!! :p

Hey guys, sorry to hear that. Question -- did either of you who got emails from the DCT yesterday also get a phone call about the MS program? I'm still trying to figure out if that means I am rejected from the PhD. I guess I'm wondering if they will not bother sending a formal rejection email since they are still "offering" something, albeit not what I wanted. I emailed my POI so I'll let you all know as things become clearer...

I did not get a phone call about the Master's program.

Why, thank you Rutgers.

The world continues to turn.

That was a reminder for me to check my status.
Ditto the reaction :laugh:
Don't get me wrong. It would have been an honor to be considered for the program, but hey, life goes on.

Northwestern-Feinberg, kind of a weird story, like I knew there was a Masters program at NU that I would want to apply to if I didn't get into the PhD program. But the Graduate School doesn't let you get rejected from one program and apply to another in the same year. So when I heard they started calling people and then were going to post official rejections on the website the following week, I called and explained the situation to them. So the secretary told me that no, I wasn't in the running for an interview (i.e. I would be rejected), so I had her transfer my application to the other dept before they could officially "reject" me. Now I'm waiting to be accepted/rejected at the new program!!

Oh yeah and by unofficially you mean don't hear anything but don't get rejected either, that is still the case for UIC, BU, and Columbia TC. Thanks guys!! :p

That was nice of her!! Fingers crossed for you! :xf::xf:

I just got a rejection from SMU via snail mail on 3/16.

I'm pretty much just expecting the rejection letters now. I've now been rejected from Georgia, Kentucky (twice...haha! And yes, they did say I was a "strong applicant". I guess it was a form letter...), Kent State, and now SMU. I didn't interview anywhere so I'm expecting at least 4 more rejections in the next few weeks.

I'm still an alternate at Texas Tech though. Fingers crossed!

And yes, they did say I was a "strong applicant".

I would like one of my rejection letters to just say:

"Dear Applicant,

Wow. You weren't even close. I mean, we received hundreds of applications and virtually all of them were much better than yours. How much better? Let me count the ways..."

I would find that more satisfying.

On the Grad Cafe they have a "write your own rejection letter" thread. My favorite one (not written by me!) went something like:

Dear Applicant,

We are still laughing.

- The Admissions Committee

lol....Prior to interviews, a friend and I joked about the possibility of having an American Idol/Simon Cowell type of review.....meaning we sit down and begin interviewing honestly thinking that we have good credentials and would make a good psychologist, but unbeknowst to us, we are absolutely horrible.

Imagine two professors looking at you dumbfounded after your interview and saying something like "You honestly think you can do this? That was one of the worst interviews we have ever had. Is this a joke?" :)

lol....Prior to interviews, a friend and I joked about the possibility of having an American Idol/Simon Cowell type of review.....meaning we sit down and begin interviewing honestly thinking that we have good credentials and would make a good psychologist, but unbeknowst to us, we are absolutely horrible.

Imagine two professors looking at you dumbfounded after your interview and saying something like "You honestly think you can do this? That was one of the worst interviews we have ever had. Is this a joke?" :)

That would be preferable, actually, to thinking you did fine then just getting the standard "strong applicant" letter. Because there's a hope that they would tell you WHAT WAS WRONG.

I tell my (non-applying) friends about this and they all concur - it's like dating. We're just getting the "it's not you, it's me" breakup. Wouldn't it be better to get the "you're nice and all, but you poot too much" break up? Or even "you're great, but have you seen the other candidate's abs? You could grate cheese!"

Because, you know, there's Beano and situps and next year.

Here's the rejection letter I would like to receive:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your generous donation of $60 to our university. As you are probably aware, we have been forced to make many cutbacks to vital university programs in light of the current economic climate. However, as long as colleges keep churning out *****s such as yourself, we will always remain financially solvent. In fact, even if you were the only person who applied to our school we still would not accept you! HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. But, in all seriousness, thanks again for the money. Enjoy your next five years in an inferior institution.

online status has been changed to 'decision made'.

Here's the rejection letter I would like to receive:

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your generous donation of $60 to our university. As you are probably aware, we have been forced to make many cutbacks to vital university programs in light of the current economic climate. However, as long as colleges keep churning out *****s such as yourself, we will always remain financially solvent. In fact, even if you were the only person who applied to our school we still would not accept you! HAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. But, in all seriousness, thanks again for the money. Enjoy your next five years in an inferior institution.

Hehe, that's so funny. That's exactly how I feel about the application fee. I had to pay a ridiculous amount for a public health program at UIC, they have an application services (similar to AMCAS) AND the school fee. So, all in all, like, 150 dollars! They should give you the money back if you don't get in. At least you'd be getting something.:laugh:

i got a weird email the other day from Columbia TC saying that they had hoped to let everyone know by 3/15 of their status, but they were still deciding on my application. i didn't get an interview there, but i know that they offer admission to the masters program for some rejected phd people... but i know that some people have also already been officially rejected by the phd or admitted to the masters. what do you think it means?

also i was wondering if anyone got an official rejection from UIC or BU yet? i haven't heard a peep out of BU, and at UIC my online status still says "pending-manual review required" but i would assume by this point i'm rejected obviously. :confused:

I agree completely about the application fees! I wonder if they realize what kind of strain it puts on my budget to pay out $50-80 application fees for every school I applied to. And I only applied to 9 schools, which is kind of on the low end. Goodbye $500! And let's not forget about paying extra to get GRE scores sent, cost of postage, etc. My wallet hurts...

Aren't most professors salaried anyway? They're usually the ones who do most of the admissions work...how do they benefit from all of this?

Aren't most professors salaried anyway? They're usually the ones who do most of the admissions work...how do they benefit from all of this?

Professors are involved in reviewing the very top candidates, choosing interviewees, making final decisions, etc., but admissions departments do a lot of work too! Just processing the hundreds of applications that departments receive -- filing letters of recommendation, test scores, transcripts, and the online and paper-based portions of applications together for each applicant, and reviewing every app package to make sure it's complete -- must be a huge amount of work. After this, many admissions depts do some 'data reduction' -- reviewing applications and eliminating candidates who clearly aren't competitive, based on test score or GPA cut-offs and the like.

I bet part of the purpose of the app fee is just to control the number of applications received, too. If a program had no or a very low app fee, plenty of people who wouldn't otherwise apply there would figure "what the heck" and apply anyways (I almost applied to Drexel for this reason, and I think they get 3 times as many applicants as many other programs). By imposing higher fees, departments encourage applicants to self-select -- do I really want to pay $60 for a chance at this specific program? -- which probably ensures that more applicants are well-qualified and well-matched for that specific program, as well as lowering the total number of applications needing to be reviewed.

I definitely spent more than I wanted to in this whole process, but I do think the application fees at least are justifiable. (ETS fees, on the other hand....)

That makes sense. I don't necessarily have a problem paying application fees in general, they just seem so high! Especially compared to the undergraduate application fees I paid a few years ago. But, everyone in the chain has to get paid I suppose. I would probably feel much differently if I was on the other side.

I might also just be a little bitter...haha :)

UNR (they sent me the rejection letter TWICE... OK! I get the point!)
Boston U
SDSU-UCSD Joint Program
Duke
Penn State
UMass Boston

Not heard from but pretty sure I got rejected:
TC
VCU
UVA

Interviewed and not heard from:
UNCG

This is killing me...

Rejections today received via snail mail:

University of Northern Colorado
Psy.D., Counseling Psychology

West Virginia University
Ph.D., Counseling Psychology

Oh well - very much expected it since I didn't receive interviews at either school.

Jon

Has anyone heard from University of Rhode Island, University of North Carolina Greensboro, or University of Maine???

i got a weird email the other day from Columbia TC saying that they had hoped to let everyone know by 3/15 of their status, but they were still deciding on my application. i didn't get an interview there, but i know that they offer admission to the masters program for some rejected phd people... but i know that some people have also already been officially rejected by the phd or admitted to the masters. what do you think it means?

I got the same e-mail! They're confusing me because just a week or two ago I got an email about my 'financial aid award' but no mention of acceptance/rejection.

Rejected via snail mail University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I got an e-mail saying I didn't get an interview but I wasn't officially rejected from University of North Dakota, but I'm pretty much rejected...

Interviewed and waitlisted at Northern Illinois University....Still waiting/praying/wishing/dreaming:xf:

I emailed my POI at UNCG last week asking if final decisions had been made and he said they had. I was, of course, rejected. Perhaps this news will bring some closure to a few of you as well.

However, the thought did cross my mind that he was just being pleasant and not *everyone* had been rejected yet, just me.