***official san antonio acceptance 2009 thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Britty894

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey you guys!! Dont get worried.. letters were mailed out today! Cant wait to meet everyone next summer!! Congrats!:luck::cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I look forward to meeting everyone as well. If you have any questions, let me know. Congrats!

Congrats on the acceptance. Is it just me or does it seem like fewer people were accepted to SA yesterday? I can't wait to get my letter to find out the amount of the scholarship

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats to the both of you! i heard from dr. c yesterday too and i'm pretty excited about it! are you both definitely attending?

I'm not sure yet...I got accepted to houston and baylor too so I have some tough choices to make. SA has always been my top choice but I don't want to rule anything out yet

Hey!! Did you ask about the scholarship or did he offer the info?? I sure hope I got one!!!:love: and yes, im going to S.A. either way :)

i'm in the same position as you drock, but I'm definitely leaning towards SA.. I've ruled out Houston, but I'm gonna go check out SA and Baylor one more time prior to making any commitments.

Yeah man i feel the same way. I really liked SA and baylor but I couldnt imagine myself living in houston. Britty, Dr. C. just told me that I was gonna be given a scholarship when he called yesterday. I didnt even know to ask. I wonder if they do it to help persuade you? Lol not that its a bad thing

i'm in the same position as you drock, but I'm definitely leaning towards SA.. I've ruled out Houston, but I'm gonna go check out SA and Baylor one more time prior to making any commitments.

Well it seemed like he was trying to persuade me but he didnt say anything about the scholarship he just said i would get REALLY good news.. i wonder if that means im not getting one :-( oh well i guess ill just have to wait and see!! :luck::luck:congrats!

Congrats to you too...from what I've been hearing if you got a call yesterday then you probably got a scholarship. No matter what happens i think we've all made it a long way...now we just have to worry about trying to pass our classes. I know I haven't studied in a LOOONNNGGG time lol

Well it seemed like he was trying to persuade me but he didnt say anything about the scholarship he just said i would get REALLY good news.. i wonder if that means im not getting one :-( oh well i guess ill just have to wait and see!! :luck::luck:congrats!

Do yall know what % of total acceptances are given ~Dec 1st? I'm hoping its low since my interview is post dec..

Hey yall I started a facebook group for all of us to meet each other!!! "UTHSCSA Dental Class of 2013" join up!!!:cool:

Hey guys... have any of you already received a letter from SA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't got mine yet...just barely got the one from baylor today though. If someone has gotten it already how much is the scholarship for?? Baylor offered me $7000...which I'm not sure how excited I should be about that when I'm gonna be ~$100,000 in debt.

Do the schools just give out scholarships for first year.. or do you mean 7000 a year for all 4 years??? I wonder what they usually do....

Do yall know what % of total acceptances are given ~Dec 1st? I'm hoping its low since my interview is post dec..

Last year, San Antonio posted a list of all the December 1st acceptances. There were 120 names on the list, and there are only 95 spots I believe. Obviously, not everyone accepted on December 1st will choose San Antonio though.

And on another note... there is still no list here in San Antonio, so my guess is they are doing it later or not at all.

Do the schools just give out scholarships for first year.. or do you mean 7000 a year for all 4 years??? I wonder what they usually do....

Some schools will give out renewable scholarships each year pending you fulfill requirements of it, (i.e. like GPA), and some will be renewable without stipulations (i.e. state tuition scholarship). The scholarship that I was offered at Baylor and San Antonio 2 years ago were not renewable... they were for my first year only.

i got the letter yesterday in the mail but it was just the acceptance. the letter did say that scholarships should be coming soon in a separate mailing.

Hey, I was getting impatient! So, I called SA and admissions told me that I'm in! Now, I'm just waiting to receive the letter!

Congrats to everyone who just found out...now you can officially party it up. From what I found out today the scholarships are apparently only for the first year.

For those of you who called to ask about your status (congrats!), did you call this number for Student Affairs: 210.567.3752, and what did you say? Did ya'll accept me?!?!?!? lol

For those of you who called to ask about your status (congrats!), did you call this number for Student Affairs: 210.567.3752, and what did you say? Did ya'll accept me?!?!?!? lol

The number is 210.567.2674
And I just asked if she could update me on the status of my application.

Has anyone started thinking about housing? I know if I do go to SA I want to live near the medical area but I'm not sure what sort of price range I'd be looking at. Anyone have any info?

called san antonio and no acceptance was sent out for me :(
it seems like i don't really have to make a hard decision. lol
only houston loves me so i gotta love it back :love:

Hey yall,

I started looking around at housing over tgiving break with my fam. There are lots and lots of choices. There are plenty of apartments right around the medical center as well as condos and townhomes both for sale and rent. There are also even some neighborhoods nearby with homes for sale/rent too. I think a couple of good things to do would be to look on rent.com or another apartment finder, or go to some realestate websites (remax /coldwell banker) and do some searches. The area code of the medical center is 78229 if that helps. From what i have found, one bedroom apartments start around 550 and go up.. especially depending on how nice of a place you wan to live. Another good thing to do is to just drive around near the medical center and pull into apartment places/neighborhoods you see and look around, cause things look A LOT diff on the internet. Im personally thinking about buying something, since Im gonna be there for 4 years anyways!!
hope this helps!

Hey yall,

I started looking around at housing over tgiving break with my fam. There are lots and lots of choices. There are plenty of apartments right around the medical center as well as condos and townhomes both for sale and rent. There are also even some neighborhoods nearby with homes for sale/rent too. I think a couple of good things to do would be to look on rent.com or another apartment finder, or go to some realestate websites (remax /coldwell banker) and do some searches. The area code of the medical center is 78229 if that helps. From what i have found, one bedroom apartments start around 550 and go up.. especially depending on how nice of a place you wan to live. Another good thing to do is to just drive around near the medical center and pull into apartment places/neighborhoods you see and look around, cause things look A LOT diff on the internet. Im personally thinking about buying something, since Im gonna be there for 4 years anyways!!
hope this helps!

Adding to what Britty said --

Some apartment complexes in and around the medical center:
The Vintage
San Antonio Station
Broadstone Medical Center
Whispering Creek
Medical Center Apartments
Hyperion

Streets to look on:
Floyd Curl
Medical
Louis Pasteur
Fredericksburg
Babcock
Callaghan
Wurzbach
Hamilton Wolfe

Thanks mamelons and britty for the good info. I'm gonna start doing some searching soon.

Did anyone else get their letter in the mail? Mine came in today and I got a $10,000 scholarship. Mamelons, maybe you can answer this but should that amount be enough for me to ultimately decide to go to SA? Will it offset very much of the cost at all? From what the dentist I work for said, and he's an SA grad, the scholarship might be able to be renewed each year if I do well once in school. If so it would be nice.

Hey !! I finally got my letter and I got a scholarship too! Im trying to find out if its renewable. Dr. C told me to call or email him if i had any questions, so Im asking him. Hopefully they wont take it away from me. Im doing kinda bad in biochem. Mainly because of the teacher, so many kids dropped but I couldnt! So now im really worried about it.

Hey !! I finally got my letter and I got a scholarship too! Im trying to find out if its renewable. Dr. C told me to call or email him if i had any questions, so Im asking him. Hopefully they wont take it away from me. Im doing kinda bad in biochem. Mainly because of the teacher, so many kids dropped but I couldnt! So now im really worried about it.

Congrats britty on the scholarship...I'm sure they wont take it away because of your grades this semester if they've already offered it to you. But yeah I'm going to call the contact number tomorrow and ask if its renewable. My letter said the contact was Amy Miller at the financial aid office (210) 567-1053.

yesssssirrr i'll be there!!! happy/nervous/excited and WISHING it started in august rather than july! lol

Hey congrats man on making the big decision...I think I'm close to accepting SA too.

Does anyone know anything about the grading system? I read on here the other day that Houston grades on a decimal system...where its possible to have say a 93.456? This type of scale would make it easier to distinguish yourself from your classmates but I haven't heard if SA does it or not.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear something.

Last edited:
Does anyone know anything about the grading system? I read on here the other day that Houston grades on a decimal system...where its possible to have say a 93.456? This type of scale would make it easier to distinguish yourself from your classmates but I haven't heard if SA does it or not.

Good luck to everyone still waiting to here something.

San Antonio is your standard grading scale for almost everything...

A = 4.0
B = 3.0
C = 2.0
D = 1.0 (there are a few classes where D is passing)

With that being said, you have to maintain above a 2.0 in didactics and a 2.0 in preclinic/clinic to move on to the next year... so even though a D may be possible in some classes, you don't want to get too many of them or one in a heavily weighted course because even though you may have passed all your classes you could potentially have less than a 2.0 -- I haven't ever heard of this actually happening, but it can.

As far as second year is concerned, some of the grading scales change a bit to where you have to get a 93 to get an A instead of a 90 in some courses, or a 82 to get a B and a 75 to get a C... but they are still A = 4.0, B = 3.0 and so forth.

Once you get to clinic you are graded every month based on skill assessment scores, point production, professionalism, etc. The only thing that is not subjective in clinic is the point production aspect... I don't know exactly what it is, but you get so many points for doing procedures in clinic, and at the end of the year, you have to have so many points in prosthodontics to pass, so many points in operative to pass, etc. And you have to do something like 8 crowns during third year to pass, and 14 or 15 to get an A. I am not a 100% sure on the clinic stuff because I am not there yet, but it gives you a little bit of an idea as to how it is done.

so there are no +/- at UTSA?

No. There are no +/- at UTHSCSA.

Does anyone know by what date we have to let them know whether we accepted or declined our offer? My letter of acceptance was sent home and I'm abroad right now and cannot find a working telephone!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to here something.

The individual exams/classes are graded on a whole point or sometimes a single decimal point, but you're right about the OVERALL GPA being taken to 3 decimal points. And yes, it does make it easier to distinguish yourself from your classmates, but you just have to be careful which direction the "distinguishing" is occurring. ;)

Congrats to all! Welcome to SA!

I'm a first year, and about to finish up my first semester, so if you have any questions feel free to email me as well.

Two free bits of advice:
1. Apply for parking on July for Zone 4 parking
2. Prepare for and Take the biochem exemption exam!

We almost let this thread go...but check out what I found. I'm looking forward to hitting up some of these spots next year.

http://www.sanantonio.com/nightlife/

Also, does anyone know how we go about testing out of biochem? Is there a study guide or list of topics that we need to study?

We almost let this thread go...but check out what I found. I'm looking forward to hitting up some of these spots next year.

http://www.sanantonio.com/nightlife/

Also, does anyone know how we go about testing out of biochem? Is there a study guide or list of topics that we need to study?

You will get a packet of information sometime in March with stuff about choosing your computer, background check, scrubs, shot record, and biochem placement exam. At this time, they will give you a username and password to log-on to the biochem website to access the course manual to study from. The placement exam is given during the 2nd or 3rd week of school.

You will get a packet of information sometime in March with stuff about choosing your computer, background check, scrubs, shot record, and biochem placement exam. At this time, they will give you a username and password to log-on to the biochem website to access the course manual to study from. The placement exam is given during the 2nd or 3rd week of school.

Thanks for the good info, as always. Hope finals went well for you.

In addition to the manual, make sure that you look at the old tests if they are still on the biochem site. They used to keep 3 years worth of tests on their site to help with studying. They often repeat topics from one test to another so you want to make sure that you've mastered the material related to the old tests before you take the placement exam.

First of all, Gratz to everyone got accepted! You'll love our school. I'm a first year student and so far I have nothing against the city and our school. The professors are nice and helpful, they will go the extra mile to help the students. I don't think you can go wrong with San Antonio. If you turn down SA for Baylor or Houston, I think you should think twice. Our computer-based curriculum had helped me study much better, and I don't think I could've done as well if it wasn't for the user-friendly computer.
As for biochem., I highly suggest you look at the old exams. Pay close attention to anything that is clinically related, and of course anything related to dentistry. Studying for 2-3 weeks are enough to pass the exemption test. However, I HIGHLY suggest you take the course. Why? Because the exams weren't that bad at all! You don't even have to attend class, but you still can get "A" in that class. Biochem is a 5 hour credit course, why not get an easy "A" for a major course? That would help you a lot if you make a "D" in gross (a killer course, for example).
Anyway, it's an option for you to choose once you pass the test. Again, congratulations to all! Make sure you done all the researches before you turn down SA! I'm so glad that I chose SA!!!

Thank you everyone for contributing so much info. Since accepting SA though there have been several other things that I've been thinking about.

1) Would any of you say that your class is very competitive with one another? I only mention this because it seems that SA only accepts students with the highest grades/DAT scores in Texas.

2) Is it true that because SA breaks your class up into smaller groups (i forgot what they said at the interview) that you only get to know few of your classmates?

3) If you guys got scholarships, were you able to get them renewed? The people in Dr. C's office weren't too sure whether my scholarship could be renewed when I asked. They only gave me vague responses...

4) How many people in your class plan to specialize? I only ask because I'm curious as to just how competitive the students in my class will be. I know that right now I want nothing more than to come out after four years and start working as a general dentist. However, it would be nice to keep my options open.

Thank you again everybody. I know this thread has helped out alot of us.

Thank you everyone for contributing so much info. Since accepting SA though there have been several other things that I've been thinking about.

1) Would any of you say that your class is very competitive with one another? I only mention this because it seems that SA only accepts students with the highest grades/DAT scores in Texas.

2) Is it true that because SA breaks your class up into smaller groups (i forgot what they said at the interview) that you only get to know few of your classmates?

3) If you guys got scholarships, were you able to get them renewed? The people in Dr. C's office weren't too sure whether my scholarship could be renewed when I asked. They only gave me vague responses...

4) How many people in your class plan to specialize? I only ask because I'm curious as to just how competitive the students in my class will be. I know that right now I want nothing more than to come out after four years and start working as a general dentist. However, it would be nice to keep my options open.

1. Our class is not competitive overall. Most everyone in our class though shares stuff to some extent assuming they make reviews and charts. There were more study guides and stuff being shared first year, not so much this year... I think it has a lot to do with the time constraint in making them second year. We are a lot busier this year than last. And every class has their gunners, but most everyone gets along, and everyone knows each other.

2. Our classes are broken into smaller groups, but not to the extent you won't get to know your classmates. You will be split up into groups of 4 for gross anatomy dissection. You will obviously spend a lot of time with these people, but you will have other groups next to you to ask questions and review with on the weekends for exams. You will also be split up into groups and assigned a lab (i.e. the sim labs). There are 4 of them with 28 students in 3 of them, and 14 in one of them. I know they are trying to increase the size of the class, so eventually, I think all 4 labs will be full in a few years. Anyways, you share a station with a DS2. You are in these labs, and you will get to know these people really well, but you still have lectures where you get to know everyone. Then in DS3 and DS4, you are split into general practice groups with your classmates. Usually 10 people will be assigned a group. For my class, it was organized in a way that the people you were in the sim lab with, the people next to you and around you would be in your general practice group in clinic. This year's DS1 class was done more randomly with you being in a general practice group with people from each sim lab, so it is another opportunity to get to know other classmates better.

3. I was offered a scholarship, and it was not renewed. I don't know if anyone got their scholarship renewed for DS2. These scholarships, to my knowledge, are based on undegrad credentials and extracurriculars. There multiple scholarships you can apply for throughout the year though, and there are ones that are awarded based on academic performance and stuff like that.

4. Nobody in our class really talks about specializing. I know there are a few who want to, but it is not really a topic of discussion. There are 2 I know want to do ortho, 2 pedo, and 1 OMS, but other than that, I have no idea. There are probably people who are keeping the option open, but don't know yet.

I think mamelons answered them pretty well. I agree with him/her also. My class is very competitive, but not towards each other. We all try to make the best grades, but we do so together. Many many times where our classmates make separate notes and share them with everyone. So, I say my class is very helpful.

2. They do "break" us up into smaller groups. That's because labs easier to run with smaller groups so everyone can get individual attention, not to separate us. We can move freely from one station or one lab to another, it's just that it's better to have smaller groups for dental labs.

3. I can't answer that question since my grades are not that great to receive one. That means our school do not just look at high DAT scores and GPA.

4. Like mamelons said, it's not something we talk about. Not because we want to hide it, but because we really don't know. Me, I really don't know. Even If I know, I still wouldn't say because I don't want to make a fool of myself by telling everyone I will specialize but don't have the grades or motivation later on. I rather just do my best and have the option available.

Thanks mamelons and ttom.

Do you know how much financial aid, say in loans, that we will be eligible to receive for living expenses? I'm only asking because my girlfriend and I are starting to look for apartments because we are probably moving in May. I really want to know about how much rent I'll be able to afford a month.