***official san antonio acceptance 2009 thread****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I say we plan a party for our class to get to know everyone the week before school starts. We could post it up on myspace or facebook. I say a black and white party or a keg party =). I'm good either way lol...any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

whats up classmates! yeah I'm down to hang out and meet everyone!
Any more people receive the good news? The next wave is happening right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have a question about the gross anatomy class.
okay so i'm taking a semester off before starting the dental school, and i thought it would be nice if i take anatomy class so it might make my life a bit easier later on...(maybe...haha)
but i want to know if i'm studying the right stuffs...
Do any of you know what the curriculum is like?? what do they teach you in gross anatomy class?

i have a question about the gross anatomy class.
okay so i'm taking a semester off before starting the dental school, and i thought it would be nice if i take anatomy class so it might make my life a bit easier later on...(maybe...haha)
but i want to know if i'm studying the right stuffs...
Do any of you know what the curriculum is like?? what do they teach you in gross anatomy class?

Gross is the toughest class for DS1! You learn basically EVERYTHING about head and neck. The first exam was trunk (30%), while head and neck exams combined for 70% of the grade. Yup, only 3 (4 hours each ) exams for the course.
I guess study all the bones and features of head and neck, especially the skull. That will make your life much easier. Oh yeah, you will not need to know anything about legs and feet.

Unless you can find an anatomy class that lets you get experience with cadavers, nothing will really prepare you that well. It will go into far more detail than most, if not all undergrad courses. Enjoy your time off.

Studying for anything is the last thing on my mind right now. I say go out, live a little, and don't worry about school until July.

Oh and as long as people are down our class party will happen.

hey guys are there any drug tests at sa? the only reason i ask is because i plan to go to Amsterdam in May or June and plan to blaze(smoke pot). obviously i can't do this if there are drug tests.

no idea. i haven't heard about anything of the sort.

Gross is the toughest class for DS1! You learn basically EVERYTHING about head and neck. The first exam was trunk (30%), while head and neck exams combined for 70% of the grade. Yup, only 3 (4 hours each ) exams for the course.
I guess study all the bones and features of head and neck, especially the skull. That will make your life much easier. Oh yeah, you will not need to know anything about legs and feet.

There are no hands or arms covered in the class either. The only thing we really studied that related to the arms was the brachial plexus.

hey guys are there any drug tests at sa? the only reason i ask is because i plan to go to Amsterdam in May or June and plan to blaze(smoke pot). obviously i can't do this if there are drug tests.

No drug tests.

Members don't see this ad :)
DROCK, i thought you were in? Looking out for other SA-town hopefuls? How thoughtful!

Hi future classmates! I sent in my acceptance confirmation back in December but have yet to hear back from San Antonio. Have you all received any information or news from them? Should I call the school and ask? I'm starting to have an uneasy feeling that maybe they never received my letter!:scared:

i haven't received anything in the mail after i sent in my confirmation either. i did call the registrar in jan to make sure i was in their system and i was. as mamelons said, i don't think we'll get anything for at least another month.

Hey yall,

I started looking around at housing over tgiving break with my fam. There are lots and lots of choices. There are plenty of apartments right around the medical center as well as condos and townhomes both for sale and rent. There are also even some neighborhoods nearby with homes for sale/rent too. I think a couple of good things to do would be to look on rent.com or another apartment finder, or go to some realestate websites (remax /coldwell banker) and do some searches. The area code of the medical center is 78229 if that helps. From what i have found, one bedroom apartments start around 550 and go up.. especially depending on how nice of a place you wan to live. Another good thing to do is to just drive around near the medical center and pull into apartment places/neighborhoods you see and look around, cause things look A LOT diff on the internet. Im personally thinking about buying something, since Im gonna be there for 4 years anyways!!
hope this helps!

Hi, I’m a current 4th year at San Antonio. If you're coming to San Antonio and looking for a place to live, I’m selling my house. It's really close to the school. Remember, new homebuyers can take advantage of Obama’s new tax credit!!!! If you want more info on the house go to www.8918brandingfield.blogspot.com If you have any questions about the house or school, just PM me. Thanks, Andy

DROCK, i thought you were in? Looking out for other SA-town hopefuls? How thoughtful!

Yeah homie, I was wondering about that packet of info we're supposed to get. I'm in, don't worry.

Why is spring break so late for SA? How are you supposed to meet drunk college girls if they're already back in class by the time you get to the beach?

Hi, I’m a current 4th year at San Antonio. If you're coming to San Antonio and looking for a place to live, I’m selling my house. It's really close to the school. Remember, new homebuyers can take advantage of Obama’s new tax credit!!!! If you want more info on the house go to www.8918brandingfield.blogspot.com If you have any questions about the house or school, just PM me. Thanks, Andy

Nice house man. I bet it sells sooner rather than later.

That BBQ pit in the back needs to be seriously upgraded though.

Yeah homie, I was wondering about that packet of info we're supposed to get. I'm in, don't worry.

Why is spring break so late for SA? How are you supposed to meet drunk college girls if they're already back in class by the time you get to the beach?

Yeah i keep checking for mine too. I think the first one is just boring criminal background stuff, tho but any letters from UTHSCSA are better than none. As for spring break i hear you, but don't forget about Fiesta.

We are independent students for the FAFSA, but the online application allows us to still include our parents financial information. It recommends inclusion for healthcare students. Why is this? Is there any benefit to including this information. Can it possibly reduce the likelihood of receiving aid?

Spring break for the dental school usually coincides with TDA and/or research conferences, which typically fall at the end of March. Next year our spring break is early though... first week of March I believe. As much as I hate having a late spring break, or super early like next year... we don't get charged out the you know what for spring break airfare and travel packages. We have cheaper everything because most places don't jack up the prices on stuff until the second week of March when most spring breaks are. I think the worst thing of it all is how we don't have the same spring break as the rest of UTHSCSA. Medical, PT, nursing, etc are all on break right now... and for me... well I have 4 exams, 2 practicals, a provisional FPD, and a handful of other assignment/projects that stand between me and a week of relaxation.

We are independent students for the FAFSA, but the online application allows us to still include our parents financial information. It recommends inclusion for healthcare students. Why is this? Is there any benefit to including this information. Can it possibly reduce the likelihood of receiving aid?

I called the school and asked them about this. FAFSA recommends including it because some healthcare schools require parental information for internal reasons, and also so they can give need-based scholarships to the most disadvantaged. However, UTHSCSA does not require it of anyone. I called to make sure, and ended up submitting my FAFSA without any parental information. However, UTHSCSA also said that if you do include it, it won't affect the federal aid you receive whatsoever.

so moral of the story: you can include it or not, up to you, it won't make a difference either way. including it definitely won't hurt you.

So if we get our FAFSA in by April 1, will that be early enough to clear aid for sure?

I called the school and asked them about this. FAFSA recommends including it because some healthcare schools require parental information for internal reasons, and also so they can give need-based scholarships to the most disadvantaged. However, UTHSCSA does not require it of anyone. I called to make sure, and ended up submitting my FAFSA without any parental information. However, UTHSCSA also said that if you do include it, it won't affect the federal aid you receive whatsoever.

so moral of the story: you can include it or not, up to you, it won't make a difference either way. including it definitely won't hurt you.

Thanks cobalt for the help!

Does anyone have any apartment/housing advice for San Antonio nearby the Medical Center? I am unfamiliar with the area and have only really looked at apartments online...Thanks!

hey classmates! I got accepted a couple of weeks ago and I was also wondering about housing. Has anyone heard of any good places to live?

Rocketman: did you match with UTHSCSA SOM or did you get in off the waitlist?

Does anyone have any apartment/housing advice for San Antonio nearby the Medical Center? I am unfamiliar with the area and have only really looked at apartments online...Thanks!

Check out the first page of this thread. Mamelons posted some apt listings that are helpful.

I'll be going down Friday morning to take a look at places. You guys should let me know if there is something you want to check out in person. Personally, I'm looking for something super close to school.

Places near the school, all different price ranges...

Medical Center Apartments -- Von Scheele Dr.
Broadstone on Medical -- Medical Dr.
Villas at Medical Center -- Hamilton Wolfe Rd.
Whispering Creek -- Hamilton Wolfe Rd.
Carlyle Place -- Babcock Rd.
Vintage -- Louis Pasteur Rd.
San Antonio Station -- Louis Pasteur
Dominion Park -- Fredericksburg Rd.
Abbey at Medical Center -- Rowley
Mission Oaks -- Callaghan
Mission Ranch -- Babcock
Hyperion -- Floyd Curl
Abbey at Grande Oaks -- Eckhert
Broadstone Colonnade -- I-10 at Wurzbach
Pinnacle -- Louis Pasteur
Signature Ridge -- Medical
Promontory Point -- Medical

If you want to live a little further from campus, just so you don't feel like you live at the school... there are several apartments complexes off of Vance Jackson Road between Wurzbach and UTSA Blvd. Maybe 15 minute drive in traffic in the morning, 20 minutes in the evening.

There are also some other apartment complexes on Fredericksburg Road between Wurzbach and Huebner.

I've never applied for financial aid so I'm not sure how this works..
I filled out my FAFSA Feb 1st and received the SAR.. so now what???
I just wait for the financial aid office to send me a letter???
Should I contact them first?? When should this letter be coming to me??

Also, I never received this packet of info concerning registration, vaccines, etc.. wasn't that supposed to be sent out middle of March? anyone else receive it??

Anyone called the registrar about packet info?? I'm getting anxious, I feel like I should be busy getting ready!

Yeah I called on monday and they said that they were supposed to get them out last week, but something happened. Apparently they should be sent out by the end of this week. Anyone ready to start school in July? lol

Yeah I called on monday and they said that they were supposed to get them out last week, but something happened. Apparently they should be sent out by the end of this week. Anyone ready to start school in July? lol

Totally not down with starting in July. But Baylor is starting on the 7th of August and I think only Houston starts in late August. So only one out of three TX schools gives you a summer!

Totally not down with starting in July. But Baylor is starting on the 7th of August and I think only Houston starts in late August. So only one out of three TX schools gives you a summer!

Yeah, July is early compared to college. Is this just for DS1, or every year from now on? Is our school year longer than the other schools or just pushed up so we start summer earlier?

Unfortunately, it is every year to my knowledge, or at least it has been following this trend for a while.

DS1 -- July 13
DS2 -- July 20
DS3 -- July 6
DS4 -- July 6

We go until December 18, and come back right after New Year's on January 4th, and then we go to around May 14th. You get the first summer off between DS1 and DS2 (unless you want to do research or an elective), then you have to study for and take boards between DS2 and DS3. We don't have June clinic this year, but they have done that in the past. This summer the rising DS3 and DS4 students have to do an elective course or summer activity of some sort.

I have been reading this thread for a while and it has been pretty helpful so I figure hec let me join and share some info... I found this website... Check it out great info!
http://www.uthscsadental.com/notes/

P.s I am down for some partying before school starts amigos! See yall in July

Last edited:
I got my registration packet today..
But no financial aid info and I filled out my FAFSA Feb 1st..
I thought it would come together??
Has anyone else received anything from the financial aid office yet?
I guess I will call them on Monday

I have been reading this thread for a while and it has been pretty helpful so I figure hec let me join and share some info... I found this website... Check it out great info!
http://www.uthscsadental.com/notes/

P.s I am down for some partying before school starts amigos! See yall in July

Just so you know, those notes aren't that helpful and are not very complete. So do not try and depend on them. You would be better off finding notes from someone who just finished 1st year. Besides, the curriculum has changed a bit over the past year... i.e. neuroanatomy is now a separate course from gross

I got my registration packet today..
But no financial aid info and I filled out my FAFSA Feb 1st..
I thought it would come together??
Has anyone else received anything from the financial aid office yet?
I guess I will call them on Monday

Financial aid and the informational packet do not come together... the packet you received is just stuff the dental school needs done... financial aid will come soon enough, you can always call to check on the progress of it, but I am a student here right now and had everything done end of January and I still don't know what I have been awarded... and I am just down the hallway from the office

Financial aid and the informational packet do not come together... the packet you received is just stuff the dental school needs done... financial aid will come soon enough, you can always call to check on the progress of it, but I am a student here right now and had everything done end of January and I still don't know what I have been awarded... and I am just down the hallway from the office

LOL thanks.. not so panicky anymore
someone i know going to baylor got the packets together but baylor seems to do everything different anyways..

Just got my packet too. Damn its a lot of info. I say we have the party the weekend before school starts (July 13, which is WAY too early.)

That "additional addresses" part of the criminal background check threw me off a bit...

And I also got an email about the financial aid I qualify for...but to accept it I have to log into the portal that I have no login for. Go figure.