Official SHPEP 2017 Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
4 and a half days to go!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
❗️❗️❗️

Attachments

• IMG_0668.PNG
    IMG_0668.PNG
    146.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 1 user
I just saw that shepep email in my notifications and i had a mini heart attack lol. But it was nothing

Members don't see this ad :)
This wait is going to kill me

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^^ An accurate description of early SHPEP applicants from February 1st to February 15th ^^

How did each of you find out about Shpep? I actually found out about it from SDN!

Do you guys know people at your school who are also applying? I seem to be the only one at mine. Nobody I've talked to knows about SHPEP. Not even the professors or advisors. In a way, it might be better that way hha.

Do you guys know people at your school who are also applying? I seem to be the only one at mine. Nobody I've talked to knows about SHPEP. Not even the professors or advisors. In a way, it might be better that way hha.

Same! Like nobody even knows about SHPEP! That's so crazy to me!

I have a few friends who applied and someone who is going to apply

I learned through SDN. To be honest I find SDN way more useful and more detailed then school advisors or health advisors. I say this because you can find any situation and stats on here. Everything that advisors tell me I already know and more. SDN is really a blessing for pre health endeavors.

i've known about shpep since i was like a junior in high school. just because i'm obsessed with my future and being a doctor lol. & i saw this vlog on youtube for duke smdep and it looked so fun and cool. so this has been planned out for a while so if i don't get in, i'm going to be hurt.

here's the link for that video if anyone wants to watch:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
i've known about shpep since i was like a junior in high school. just because i'm obsessed with my future and being a doctor lol. & i saw this vlog on youtube for duke smdep and it looked so fun and cool. so this has been planned out for a while so if i don't get in, i'm going to be hurt.

SAMEEE

i'm kinda upset that i didn't apply to ucla bc i was scared that i wouldn't get in cause that's my dream medical school but it's whatevs.

Yea my best friend applied. regular deadline tho

ik but i was trying to be practical in my decisions because ucla shpep goes for more community college/disadvantaged students and i'm really not one of those and i live in nj so rutgers was an overall better choice i guess lol

Watching that makes me want to go even more haha too bad I'm not expecting much for my chances :p

Does anyone know what type applicants specific sites usually pick? For example, UCLA usually picks community college students.

This wait is going to kill me

Imagine how dead those of us who applied early but weren't complete until after Feb. 1 will be, lol.

Why not? What sites did you apply to?

Columbia, UCLA, and Nebraska-- in hindsight they're not the best site choices, but I feel like the others seemed to favored URM's more (which I'm not) and that these matched my statements best. I'm mostly skeptical because I feel like my personal statements don't really hit the mark. I definitely wrote about things I really care about since being superficial is unethical imo but I'm not entirely sure if it's what the program sites are looking for (i.e. my concern about environmental health and treatment gaps).

Columbia, UCLA, and Nebraska-- in hindsight they're not the best site choices, but I feel like the others seemed to favored URM's more (which I'm not) and that these matched my statements best. I'm mostly skeptical because I feel like my personal statements don't really hit the mark. I definitely wrote about things I really care about since being superficial is unethical imo but I'm not entirely sure if it's what the program sites are looking for (i.e. my concern about environmental health and treatment gaps).

Ah, okay. Well I'm praying we all get acceptances! Less than 2 days & 2 hours to go!

i'm kinda upset that i didn't apply to ucla bc i was scared that i wouldn't get in cause that's my dream medical school but it's whatevs.

Thats the exact reason why i DID apply to UCLA! Its my dream for medical school and possibly residency too because I want to eventually end up in LA, so im hoping I will be fornuate enough to be accepted

Hey everyone! So one of my friends went last year and got really close to some of the admissions people at Columbia. Not to be a bummer here, but she said most people get rejected not because they aren't strong applicants (like grades, essays, etc.) but because they don't meet the goals of the program. SHPEP is a program made predominantly for low income, and under-resourced URM students. If you don't fall into any of those categories it will be difficult to gain acceptance, though not impossible! Keep that in mind as you check your decisions and remember that if you get rejected it likely has less to do with your credentials and more to do with your background. Best of luck everyone!

Also, what are your backup plans for the summer? I got funding for an internship at a program to help underprivileged youth. but I was really hoping to get some clinical experience!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! So one of my friends went last year and got really close to some of the admissions people at Columbia. Not to be a bummer here, but she said most people get rejected not because they aren't strong applicants (like grades, essays, etc.) but because they don't meet the goals of the program. SHPEP is a program made predominantly for low income, and under-resourced URM students. If you don't fall into any of those categories it will be difficult to gain acceptance, though not impossible! Keep that in mind as you check your decisions and remember that if you get rejected it likely has less to do with your credentials and more to do with your background. Best of luck everyone!

Also, what are your backup plans for the summer? I got funding for an internship at a program to help underprivileged youth. but I was really hoping to get some clinical experience!

my math teacher encouraged me to apply to the "application of mathematics to physiology and medicine" program at duke but it's only a 10 day workshop from may 21st-31st but i was hoping to do that and shpep. if i don't get into any shpep site, i'll probably apply to smlp which is like uva's version of shpep, the app is due march 1st. and if that doesn't work out i'll probably take summer classes and try and get a research position at my colleges cancer research center.

I found a whole list of summer programs in a PDF. Let me see if I can find the original URL to link it here for some backup options!

I thought early admission people would get wait-listed for sites but i just saw that only regular deadline people get waitlisted. So its just accepted or not accepted. Soooo much more anxious :(

I thought early admission people would get wait-listed for sites but i just saw that only regular deadline people get waitlisted. So its just accepted or not accepted. Soooo much more anxious :(

I just saw that too! The wait lists at least provide some hope.. this acceptation/rejection makes it all so much more dramatic

On the plus side, according to my friend early applicants have a WAY higher chance of being accepted, as many of the sites fill after the early round

What?!?!? Omg! How did I miss this?