***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How was the quality of the lecture halls, comfort wise? This is a very underrated factor in how many people will show up to lecture.

The lecture hall is old but i felt the seats, which are nicely cushioned, and the overall ambiance is very comfortable. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

-a lot of students don't go to lectures. was in a clinical ethics class and only about 60/155 showed up. don't have to go to discussion group if you don't want to; even though it's mandatory, you can just sign your name and leave.

Us first years had an anatomy mock practical late into the night the night before that class. You're bound to only see the most hardcore of hardcore folks there.

-lectures are transcribed and audio recorded. video recording will be soon.

I wouldn't say soon. There have been curriculum review meetings and interest by students have been expressed. I think that's about it thus far.

Us first years had an anatomy mock practical late into the night the night before that class. You're bound to only see the most hardcore of hardcore folks there.

I take that back. The lecture was the day of the practical. I personally didn't go because I knew I was going to stay late into the night working on anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

So I am most likely going to SUNY Downstate and I'm getting pretty excited about it!:D

Bit of a random question, but do any of you guys fence?

Hey guys!

So I am most likely going to SUNY Downstate and I'm getting pretty excited about it!:D

i do.. but i'm not very good... :laugh:

Hey guys!

I used to, during the summers working in the countryside when the animals needed to be enclosed in an area. :laugh:

Question for the current students:

If I live on campus for the first semester, but then find somebody who would like to move to an offcampus apartment with me, do they allow moving off campus for the second semester?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if applicants can do the Shadow a student thing while they are in the application process? Please let me know, I have just applied to Downstate through the linkage program and I am very interested in shadowing a student while I painfully wait for any news.... Thanks!

--Yana

Question for the current students:

If I live on campus for the first semester, but then find somebody who would like to move to an offcampus apartment with me, do they allow moving off campus for the second semester?

Thanks!

Unfortunately no... I mean it's possible you could arrange it, but when i asked about it this year I was told that the housing contract is for the full year and if you move off mid-year, you're still obligated to pay for the full year... The truth is though, there are worse things than moving out during the summer as opposed to during winter break.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I was wondering if applicants can do the Shadow a student thing while they are in the application process? Please let me know, I have just applied to Downstate through the linkage program and I am very interested in shadowing a student while I painfully wait for any news.... Thanks!

--Yana

Hey Yana... Unfortunately, the shadow-a-student program is for accepted students only. It may be worth asking the admissions office if they'll make an exception, but in general it's only for accepted students.

Unfortunately no... I mean it's possible you could arrange it, but when i asked about it this year I was told that the housing contract is for the full year and if you move off mid-year, you're still obligated to pay for the full year... The truth is though, there are worse things than moving out during the summer as opposed to during winter break.

That's good to know, Soggun, but why do they charge you on a daily rate according to the brochure when you already signed a contract for the whole year?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to know, Soggun, but why do they charge you on a daily rate according to the brochure when you already signed a contract for the whole year?
If I recall correctly, it's because different graduate programs have different start times and overall lengths.

If I recall correctly, it's because different graduate programs have different start times and overall lengths.

Oh, I see.

For those who went for a second look, how did you guys dressed? A suit and tie for guys?

Oh, I see.

For those who went for a second look, how did you guys dressed? A suit and tie for guys?

By second look do you mean the shadow-a-student program? Wear normal clothes that you would wear to class. You'll just be hanging around a first or second year for the day and we have no dress code (If you see students dressed up or in white coats it's because we have preceptorships, clinical electives, etc.)

By second look do you mean the shadow-a-student program? Wear normal clothes that you would wear to class. You'll just be hanging around a first or second year for the day and we have no dress code (If you see students dressed up or in white coats it's because we have preceptorships, clinical electives, etc.)

Yep. That's what I meant. Thanks. I was about to iron my suit. :laugh:

Hey guys,

Does anybody know what the MS1 MSQ means on our admissions checklist? Also, do people who wrote down NY as their permanent address need to fill out the verification papers?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know what the MS1 MSQ means on our admissions checklist? Also, do people who wrote down NY as their permanent address need to fill out the verification papers?

MS1 MSQ is the medical student questionnaire on the AMCAS website if I remember correctly. I think it's only available after a certain date on the website.

People who wrote NY as their permanent address don't need to fill out NYS residency papers unless asked to do so (you probably won't be). It was clarified at some point earlier in this thread, so check for those posts to see if they have more info. I think it was bottom of page 2 and spilled over into top of page 3.

Does anybody know what the MS1 MSQ means on our admissions checklist?

MS1 MSQ is the medical student questionnaire on the AMCAS website if I remember correctly. I think it's only available after a certain date on the website.

Kfire is right. Don't worry about it until you get an email about it.

I know I'm just a question machine, but here goes anyway, lol.

I was looking on the Downstate for the class schedule, just to see what it is typically like, and I couldn't find it at all. I was just able to find the block descriptions. Is there someplace I could be looking that I'm missing?

I know I'm just a question machine, but here goes anyway, lol.

I was looking on the Downstate for the class schedule, just to see what it is typically like, and I couldn't find it at all. I was just able to find the block descriptions. Is there someplace I could be looking that I'm missing?

Yep, that's the link to the MS1 calendar. If you go to http://ect.downstate.edu on the bottom in the middle there is a section that says calendars. You can see MS1 and MS2 from there.

Hey, just got the financial award letter. Does anyone know when we have to start making payments for tuition, housing, etc.?

I just got the financial aid award letter too. one question, "direct med subsidized" and "direct med unsubsidized" are federal stafford loan right?

We've had a good number of folks (I'd guess 20-30) and personally I've had 2 shadow me. Both of mine seemed to have a good experience and told me they would probably end up here, but I assume at least one or two are on SDN and can give you an idea of the experience from the shadowee perspective.
One of the two.. c'est moi. ;)

I did have a good time, the students I met were all friendly and the couple of instructors I saw in action were both great. Definitely a place I can see myself at--I'm all about the nitty gritty of urban health care. :D

The only thing that turned me off a little was the housing. I mean, it's very convenient and quite liveable, but I don't know if I'm up for dorm-living anymore. It's pretty pricey for what you're getting, and I don't like the sound of a double or something, as with the cheaper options. So yea, I did not end up turning in a housing deposit, and I'm hoping to live in Park Slope. Anyone else?? :D I'm also a NYC resident, so WORST case scenario would be commuting if I don't find something...

Anyhow, I really like Downstate. I look forward to [possibly] joining you all next year!

The only thing that turned me off a little was the housing. I mean, it's very convenient and quite liveable, but I don't know if I'm up for dorm-living anymore. It's pretty pricey for what you're getting, and I don't like the sound of a double or something, as with the cheaper options. So yea, I did not end up turning in a housing deposit, and I'm hoping to live in Park Slope. Anyone else?? :D I'm also a NYC resident, so WORST case scenario would be commuting if I don't find something...

Anyhow, I really like Downstate. I look forward to [possibly] joining you all next year!

I know what you mean about housing, but nothing beats going to class in your jammies. :laugh: ... and aren't you going to have to commute if you live in park slope?

Haha, I guess you're right. But totally closer than where I would commute from otherwise. :)

Haha, I guess you're right. But totally closer than where I would commute from otherwise. :)

It definitely sucks commuting tho. I've been there, done that. did you find an apt in park slope already?

Nope, I haven't! Haha.. I'm not even sure how to go about doing that at the moment, but I assume it can wait a little longer.

On that note.. once an applicant doesn't send a housing deposit by March 1st, anyone know what the likelihood he/she will get on-campus housing is?? What about students who are accepted after this date, for instance?

Nope, I haven't! Haha.. I'm not even sure how to go about doing that at the moment, but I assume it can wait a little longer.

On that note.. once an applicant doesn't send a housing deposit by March 1st, anyone know what the likelihood he/she will get on-campus housing is?? What about students who are accepted after this date, for instance?

Likelihood is still alright... It's just a first-come, first-serve basis so you may not get the room of your choice. This year there's still rooms available, but next year there may not, all depends upon how many members of your class want to move in... That being said, the deadlines for people who already live here to reserve their rooms, switch rooms, etc. is fast approaching so I'd try to make that decision within the next few weeks if possible if you want your choice of room-type.

I'm drawing a blank here, but what is the grading system for the first 2 years at downstate?
pass/fail or honors/high pass/pass/fail? I couldn't find my interview folder.

I'm drawing a blank here, but what is the grading system for the first 2 years at downstate?
pass/fail or honors/high pass/pass/fail? I couldn't find my interview folder.

i read a while back that it's honors/high pass/pass/conditional/fail... i don't get the 'conditional' option... conditional on what exactly?

i read a while back that it's honors/high pass/pass/conditional/fail... i don't get the 'conditional' option... conditional on what exactly?

I actually don't know about the conditional but I think it's something to so with passing on the condition that you finish x y or z assignment. In any case, the basics are honors (90%+), high pass (85-90%), pass (68%-85%), fail (<68%)... Those cutoffs can be lowered if the class does poorly, but cannot be raised (theoretically the whole class could get honors if we all got over 90%).

I kinda recall the "conditional" grade is for the Essentials of Clinical Medicine class. So it fits in with what Soggun said.

Does anyone know when orientation/move-in will begin? I need to figure out stuff with my job and moving situation.

Not sure about move-in. I did hear that orientation is the week of Aug 16-20. It might not be those exact days but it starts that week.

Move-in in the res halls is always the Sunday before orientation. I'm not sure when that'll be, but Roboto sounds like he's in the right ballpark.

Not sure about move-in. I did hear that orientation is the week of Aug 16-20. It might not be those exact days but it starts that week.

Thanks so much Dr Roboto. I just wanted to make sure that orientation did not start the week before (August 9-13).

A question for the med students (or anyone who knows). Is it every med school that requires you to get certification for the BLS (Basic Life Support) class before entering med school or only Downstate does that?

A question for the med students (or anyone who knows). Is it every med school that requires you to get certification for the BLS (Basic Life Support) class before entering med school or only Downstate does that?

Pretty sure it's everywhere... You need the BLS cert to do any sort of patient care and since DS does pt care 1st year, we need the cert. At least, that's what I've always thought, someone else correct me if I'm mistaken.