***official suny downstate class of 2013!!!!!!!!*** <3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
More info and application can be found here: http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/est_residency.html

hmm..so I was looking at this form, but it seems to be from last year. Dr. Roboto, do you think we can go ahead and submit this form or wait for this year's form? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm..so I was looking at this form, but it seems to be from last year. Dr. Roboto, do you think we can go ahead and submit this form or wait for this year's form? Thanks.
Chances are they haven't gotten around to updating it. That's a question best left for Ms. Levine to answer. But in the meantime, you can certainly start collecting all the paperwork you need to provide and getting them notarized, which is the bulk of the work for this process.

hey guys. can't believe I couldn't find this thread earlier. So for NYS residents, do we still need to fill out that NYS residency form?

Yes, you do. This is how they determine who gets in-state tuition. You need to prove that you've been residing in NYS for at least a year.

I'm not sure about this. I remember in my application year Ilana Levine told me that if your state of residency on your AMCAS was NY then you don't have to apply for residency. Then again, I'm a year ahead of Dr Roboto so things might have changed. I guess double check with Ms. Levine in the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about this. I remember in my application year Ilana Levine told me that if your state of residency on your AMCAS was NY then you don't have to apply for residency. Then again, I'm a year ahead of Dr Roboto so things might have changed. I guess double check with Ms. Levine in the admissions office.

i really hope you're right... i'll call to find out

Interesting...to be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself. I didn't see in the instructions that I could be exempted so I just filled it out. Using the AMCAS address seems strange to me. Couldn't people who reside outside of NYS who are attending school in NYS put their school address down?

How is the gym in the student center? Is it nice, decent, mediocre, terrible?

How is the gym in the student center? Is it nice, decent, mediocre, terrible?

Adequate... nothing more..

The basketball courts are reasonably nice but the gym itself is just your standard array of weight machines, free weights, and cardio stuff (ellipicals, treadmills, etc.) But considering its free for students and spouses, it gets the job done.

The basketball courts are reasonably nice but the gym itself is just your standard array of weight machines, free weights, and cardio stuff (ellipicals, treadmills, etc.) But considering its free for students and spouses, it gets the job done.

Does it get real crowded at times?

i think there's a picture of the gym somewhere on the downstate website (under the student life tab i think). not the best picture, but it gives an idea of what it looks like. :)

Does it get real crowded at times?

Yeah, after class (3-5) is probably the most crowded time period. Another reason why living on campus is desirable as it affords more flexibility for going ot the gym. Also, if you choose not to go to lecture, the gym is always completely empty from about 9-1, so thats a good time to go if that's the way you do things.

Yeah, after class (3-5) is probably the most crowded time period. Another reason why living on campus is desirable as it affords more flexibility for going ot the gym. Also, if you choose not to go to lecture, the gym is always completely empty from about 9-1, so thats a good time to go if that's the way you do things.

Yeah, I think I'm definitely gonna live on campus first year, so I will try to avoid that rush. How dangerous is it to walk to the subway station at night?

Yeah, I think I'm definitely gonna live on campus first year, so I will try to avoid that rush. How dangerous is it to walk to the subway station at night?

It's really a personal thing how comfortable any one person feels with it. For me, I'll walk back from the subway as long as I'm not getting back after midnight (at which point I'm usually out at bars and would rather take a taxi for time purposes). If you're with a group, you're probably fine... If not, you always have the option of taking the shuttle. Others use it more frequently, but I usually only wind up taking it if I take the subway back really late by myself for some reason or if I notice it's outside the entrance and I don't feel like walking in the cold or something. Most girls in our class are probably (rightfully) a bit more cautious about this stuff than the guys, but again everyone has their own comfort level.

That's a big plus for me. I've been wanting to get back into playing basketball consistently ever since undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's really a personal thing how comfortable any one person feels with it. For me, I'll walk back from the subway as long as I'm not getting back after midnight (at which point I'm usually out at bars and would rather take a taxi for time purposes). If you're with a group, you're probably fine... If not, you always have the option of taking the shuttle. Others use it more frequently, but I usually only wind up taking it if I take the subway back really late by myself for some reason or if I notice it's outside the entrance and I don't feel like walking in the cold or something. Most girls in our class are probably (rightfully) a bit more cautious about this stuff than the guys, but again everyone has their own comfort level.

Two more things:

How much does a Taxi usually cost from where you usually go out to the bars?

What is this shuttle that you mention?

you were right. i called the adm office to verify.

you were right. i called the adm office to verify.

That's correct. If you are a NYS resident, no need to verify. I called admissions today and that's what they said, although when I called Ms. Levine for a follow-up, she said "don't prove your residency unless we ask for it." But when I asked her if we don't have to prove it, did it mean that we would be automatically considered for in-state tuition, she said no. I am confused here. :confused::confused:

That's correct. If you are a NYS resident, no need to verify. I called admissions today and that's what they said, although when I called Ms. Levine for a follow-up, she said "don't prove your residency unless we ask for it." But when I asked her if we don't have to prove it, did it mean that we would be automatically considered for in-state tuition, she said no. I am confused here. :confused::confused:

i'm sure they have some internal way of determining if a student's state of residency is in fact NY...maybe it's what kfire said about putting NY as state of residency on the AMCAS... and if they aren't sure, then they'll request verification.

whatever the case may be, we don't have to do more paperwork than we already do! :)

i'm sure they have some internal way of determining if a student's state of residency is in fact NY...maybe it's what kfire said about putting NY as state of residency on the AMCAS... and if they aren't sure, then they'll request verification.

whatever the case may be, we don't have to do more paperwork than we already do! :)

Yeah, I do feel flooded in paperwork right now.

Does anybody know when the housing app is due? I see something about a $ 500 deposit on the form, but I don't see who to make it out to and when that is due.

Those health forms are pretty involved, huh?

It is definitely starting to stress me out because I got the award letter for financial aid. Did you guys receive it yet? It confuses the hell out of me haha.

Oh would you guys wanna do the basic life support course together? Maybe we can get a deal together and meet everyone.

Sorry about that guys.

Two more things:

How much does a Taxi usually cost from where you usually go out to the bars?

What is this shuttle that you mention?

Oh my bad, I thought you would have heard about the shuttle by now (your tour guides should be ashamed)... Anyway, it runs every half hour during weekdays though i actually dont know when it ends. The good news though is that if you need a ride anytime 24/7 you can always call and they'll come pick you up. That goes for anywhere nearby, so theoretically if you lived in an apartment nearby they'll drive you door-to-door anytime. If the shuttle itself isn't running, the campus police will send a marked car to come pick you up (which is usually the case after about 2 AM or so)

As far as the taxi question goes, it obviously varies with where you go. I tend to go out in the city, usually in the upper west side... From there, taxis run about $35-40 (not terrible if you're splitting it 3 or 4 ways). Lower manhattan is closer to $20 and park slope is about $10. Either way, chances are when you're inebriated at 4 AM you'd probably rather pay that $ than wait a half hour for a train and have to deal with walking back or waiting 15 minutes for the shuttle

It is definitely starting to stress me out because I got the award letter for financial aid. Did you guys receive it yet? It confuses the hell out of me haha.

Oh would you guys wanna do the basic life support course together? Maybe we can get a deal together and meet everyone.

I didn't get the letter yet, but I only completed the FAFSA last week, so maybe it'll arrive in the next couple days or so.

I think that's a great idea! Better than taking the course with a bunch of random strangers :laugh:

Is there a list of accredited places we are allowed to take the course?

Yeah, I do feel flooded in paperwork right now.

Does anybody know when the housing app is due? I see something about a $ 500 deposit on the form, but I don't see who to make it out to and when that is due.

Those health forms are pretty involved, huh?

The housing app is due March 1. You submit the app along with the $500 deposit in order for your app to be processed. I also didn't know who to make it out to, so I just wrote SUNY on the check.

I know!! I'll just wait and see. :thumbup:

I didn't receive my fin aid yet even though I submitted my fafsa. ...As for the life support, I think it's a great idea to do it together. We can go to an American Cross or something.

I didn't get the letter yet, but I only completed the FAFSA last week, so maybe it'll arrive in the next couple days or so.

I think that's a great idea! Better than taking the course with a bunch of random strangers :laugh:

Is there a list of accredited places we are allowed to take the course?

Click on the following link and enter your zipcode:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3012360

The class we're supposed to take is BLS for Health Providers.

I know!! I'll just wait and see. :thumbup:

I didn't receive my fin aid yet even though I submitted my fafsa. ...As for the life support, I think it's a great idea to do it together. We can go to an American Cross or something.

We can't take the CPR class offered by American Red Cross. It has to be American Heart Association's BLS class.

Guys I want to point out one thing. If you are NYS resident when you applied and you took a gap year off. It's likely they'll want you to verify your residency status.

This was indicated on the acceptance letter.

Click on the following link and enter your zipcode:

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3012360

The class we're supposed to take is BLS for Health Providers.

We can't take the CPR class offered by American Red Cross. It has to be American Heart Association's BLS class.

Yeah, this is what I wasn't sure about. I'm going to be there tomorrow for Shadow-A-Student though, so I'll ask about all this stuff.

Guys I want to point out one thing. If you are NYS resident when you applied and you took a gap year off. It's likely they'll want you to verify your residency status.

Yup, I got that too.

They will contact you with a separarte notice though if you need to verify the residency status, right?

Awesoome. Imma put it on the facebook page too and c if anyone else is interested. When and where would be best for everyone to take the BLS course?

They will contact you with a separarte notice though if you need to verify the residency status, right?

Awesoome. Imma put it on the facebook page too and c if anyone else is interested. When and where would be best for everyone to take the BLS course?

It's on your acceptance letter. If you don't see a "PS: Please submit verification...blahbalhblah" at the very end, then no need to verify.

I work full-time, so weekend is probably best for me. I have a car, so anywhere within NYC is fine by me.

MINBEE, can you fix the title of the thread to caps for the first letter of each word except "of"? It's hard to find with all lower cases. thanks. =)

MINBEE, can you fix the title of the thread to caps for the first letter of each word except "of"? It's hard to find with all lower cases. thanks. =)

Ok I realized I don't know how to hahahhaa. I could change title to caps but somehow the thread doesn't change...
Oh Dynezxice, did u join the fb group? When and where would u wanna do the BLS thing?

Last edited:
Ok I realized I don't know how to hahahhaa. I could change title to caps but somehow the thread doesn't change...
Oh Dynezxice, did u join the fb group? When and where would u wanna do the BLS thing?

I believe titles cant be changed... you should bookmark or favorite this thread

that'll make it easier! :D

hahha. oh boy. that's fine. I didn't join yet bc I don't check my fb often. I'll do so on my next login!

btw, anyone noticed that when you quote someone, your signature disappears for some reason, and when you try to put it back by editing, it comes up for a while and disappears again? weird...

We are thinking about 3/28 10-2pm for the BLS. Would you be able to make it?

And anyone else thats interested, ur welcome to join us!

just ctrl+F for "downstate"... it'll usually come up by the time you type 'down' ...that's what I do.

We are thinking about 3/28 10-2pm for the BLS. Would you be able to make it?

And anyone else thats interested, ur welcome to join us!

Oh crap, I have a Saturday class on that day. hahah. You guys can go without me...

Did anyone figure out their housing situation yet? I want a single, but I'm tempted to save money by getting a studio double instead...

i'm gonna go revisit tomorrow (2/26) anyone going the same day?:)

Did anyone figure out their housing situation yet? I want a single, but I'm tempted to save money by getting a studio double instead...

why dont u n fuzzywuz room together? lol

why dont u n fuzzywuz room together? lol

Lol, I like to take my chances :p

March 1 just seems like such an early deadline. I just called the Residential Life person and she wasn't exactly helpful, though she said it's first come-first serve and you can change your preference (pending availability) after you submit the application.

I'm probably going to put down studio double.

haha my app was in and i put down a double for the regular room.

Lol, I like to take my chances :p

March 1 just seems like such an early deadline. I just called the Residential Life person and she wasn't exactly helpful, though she said it's first come-first serve and you can change your preference (pending availability) after you submit the application.

I'm probably going to put down studio double.

Yeah, the people who answer the phones there are not very pleasant/smart. I was asking questions and she was answering them as if I was a ***** for asking them.

I put down studio double. I really wanted a single, as I am just sick and tired of having a roomate, but its not worth the extra 5 g's for the year. That's a lot of money to be paying to simply not have a roommate.

ok so i revisited yesterday. some of my impressions:

-a lot of students don't go to lectures. was in a clinical ethics class and only about 60/155 showed up. don't have to go to discussion group if you don't want to; even though it's mandatory, you can just sign your name and leave.

-lectures are transcribed and audio recorded. video recording will be soon.

-cafetaria is not bad, quite big so finding a seat is not a problem.

-only about 40% of 1st year students currently lives in dorms, some commute from manhattan or queens.

-apparently it sucks to live in flatbush, there's not much to do in the area.

-library is pretty nice, lots of study space. computer in the library sucks (really) but the area is wireless so you can bring your own laptop.

-a lot of students don't go to lectures. was in a clinical ethics class and only about 60/155 showed up. don't have to go to discussion group if you don't want to; even though it's mandatory, you can just sign your name and leave.

-only about 40% of 1st year students currently lives in dorms, some commute from manhattan or queens.

-library is pretty nice, lots of study space. computer in the library sucks (really) but the area is wireless so you can bring your own laptop.

Yeah, from what I hear, Park Slope is where it's at.

"lectures are transcribed and audio recorded. video recording will be soon"

will that be ready to go for the fall 2009 class?

Ok, I need to feedback on this a little... How many people go to class and live on campus varies a lot by the year. In my class, well over 50% lived on campus and I think, as a result, we might be a little closer than the 1st year class. This year's 1st year class had one of the lowest on-campus percentages in many years - don't take it as indicative of how many people in your class are likely to live on campus.

This is also probably an indication of how many folks go to class. Additionally, the ethics class was part of the ECM curriculum which has notoriously low attendance (it's much, much easier than the standard blocks) so expect regular lecture attendance to be at least 15-20 (maybe more) people higher.

The last abberation that mcgyver probably saw was the library computer situation. I'm pretty sure that over the last few days all of the PCs in the libraries as well as the printing services havent been working. Unfortunately our ECT office (the guys that handle this stuff) are far from perfect, but still, this is the first time I've seen all those computers go down like that. In the mean time the macs have been working and i think they have some alternative way of printing in the basement library. Anyway, on normal days those computers are perfectly sufficient (though they may not be lightning fast - and as mcgyver reported you can get internet anywhere in the building on your laptop if you have one).

Anyway, just thought those issues could have used a little clarification.

How was the quality of the lecture halls, comfort wise? This is a very underrated factor in how many people will show up to lecture.