*****Official TEMPLE class of 2013 Acceptance thread******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's going on everyone! First of all Happy New Year! I'm definitely looking forward to this August and meeting you all. I'm just a bit confused on what I should do for housing and was wondering if anyone could help shed some light from their own experience or from what they might have heard. I live in North Wales (which is 20 miles) from the dental school. My initial thoughts are to commute as it would save me quite some money yet I don't want to be waking up every morning at 5-5:30 in order to commute. Are places like Summit Park and Henry on the Park decent and worth living at despite me living relatively close to Philly? And also, with all the student population in this area, does it get loud? Lastly, would anyone happen to know what types of living accomodations places like Summit Park and Henry on the Park offer? (i.e. Singles, Doubles, or Triples?) Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

anybody else get in?

Just got the receipt from Temple confirming that they received my first deposit!! It says in the email that housing info will go out in March- I think I might contact them to ask for some info earlier!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry guys, I had finals and then I was on vacation and didnt want to think 'school'.

I live in Roxborough at Henry on the Park. I communte less than 20 minutes to school and it is very safe out here. You cross the tracks about 4 miles and it is hillsides and homes out here. Manayunk is just a few blocks away. A running/biking trail from fairmount park is in my backyard. The gym sucks but my kids love the pool. We pay the same in rent as others out here (maybe a few 100 more) but we pay less per square foot. Our apartment is huge. Split it with roomies and it is quite nice and cheap.

In fact if you move into Henry, put me down as a referral and I get a bonus check which I always split 50/50. It depends on the time of year but sometimes the referral is 1000 bucks, so you get 500 back from me.

I carpool with some classmates and we split gas. I regret ever buying a parking pass. If you are nervous then do it for the first semester and get a layout of the land and then park in the free lots around temple. They offer no protection for your car, but I have never been burglarized. I have left school several times past 8 or 9 and have never had a problem. Most leave at 5:00 and are OK to walk a block to the garage. There is a pharm school and podiatry and hospital and cancer center and police everywhere so you are safe. Just dont flash your wad of cash and youll be fine.

The lecture rooms are rumored to be redone this summer and it looks to be more definitive this time around (it has been rumored for a while) but I am not holding my breath. The clinics are changing due to our new dean and you get a lot of experience wherever you want. It is a lot of personal gusto and no one holds your hand which is what you want. The last thing you want is a three appt amalgam filling. If you have the cojones to do 3 class II amalgams in one appt, then you can do it.

No regrets about Temple. There are +'s and -'s everywhere, but in the end it is about your attitude towards the -'s that will get you.

thanks for you help 1992corolla.
there's gotta be more people who deposited at Temple...

Hey! I got a confirmation that Temple recieved my deposit. However, I also got accepted to Maryland and now I'm unsure of where to go. One minute I'm thinking Temple and the next minute I'm leaning towards Maryland. Realistically, it'll probably be Temple but I was wondering what made you guys decide on Temple? Also, where are people living? I put my name on the list at Summit Park. Anyone else planning on living there? Does anyone that currently lives there have any input about how it is to live there and how the commute it? Thanks in advance for the info!

That's not true... everyone uses SDN :)

I also got an email confirmation stating that Temple received my deposit. Also, thanks 1992corolla for that info.

I got the deposit confirmation too. Woohoo Temple 2013!

I've decided on Temple and I'm so excited not that my mind is made!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone who interviewed during 2nd week of jan heard back from temple? or gave them a call to check your status? jw thanks!

got my deposit confirmation email too! see y'all in 7 months!

Deposit confirmed! The adventure begins...:)

hey guys, congrats to everyone!! i just made up my mind finally after goin crazy over the whole "temple vs maryland" thing... (thanks bloss haha).

i started looking at housing the other day, Summit and Henry weren't too bad i've gotta say. still looking though. what's up with Summit Gardens and Valley High? any D1's live there? they're all in the same area as Summit Park and Henry, i think the Summit company manages them. thoughts?

there is also an apartment complex that is north of Temple, called Academia Suites. looks alright, newly renovated places, and a free shuttle to school. anybody hear anything about these?

anyways, i'm psyched to meet everyone and dive into what promises to be a pretty ridiculous 4 years haha. go owls!

congrats on choosing temple! just outta curiosity, why didn't you choose maryland?

hey guys, congrats to everyone!! i just made up my mind finally after goin crazy over the whole "temple vs maryland" thing... (thanks bloss haha).

i started looking at housing the other day, Summit and Henry weren't too bad i've gotta say. still looking though. what's up with Summit Gardens and Valley High? any D1's live there? they're all in the same area as Summit Park and Henry, i think the Summit company manages them. thoughts?

there is also an apartment complex that is north of Temple, called Academia Suites. looks alright, newly renovated places, and a free shuttle to school. anybody hear anything about these?

anyways, i'm psyched to meet everyone and dive into what promises to be a pretty ridiculous 4 years haha. go owls!

ya, actually I'm curious too. People seemto regard MD really high. I haven't heard from UMD yet. Especially with their new facilities and such. Please do tell!

congrats on choosing temple! just outta curiosity, why didn't you choose maryland?

Well lemme say it was NOT easy... I bitched about not being able to decide for a good solid month. On the one hand people do regard MD's clinical program pretty highly, and their facilities are incredible. On the other hand, nobody really questions Temple's clinical program and they are supposedly getting new stuff fairly soon. Not even gonna lie, I lost sleep over the decision hah.

I ended up choosing Temple for a few reasons:

1) Their clinical requirements are (from what I was told) a little tougher than at MD. People have posted that the requirements at MD are slowly decreasing or switching to competencies, and that certain specialty areas are overbearing (perio) and some are severely lacking (pedo and endo.) Also, it sounds like MD is trying to beef up their research. Temple is pretty much super-focused on clinical.

2) The facilities at Temple aren't anywhere near as nice, but they do have paperless charts (MD does not) and will hopefully be getting new stuff by the time I get settled in.

3) I realized I was really attracted to MD because Baltimore is a new city for me and it represented a chance to get out of PA (I grew up 20 mins south of Philly, went to school in Pittsburgh, etc. I'm gettin a little tired of this state haha.) But in the end, the surrounding city isn't as important to me as the level of experience Temple promises.

4) The curriculum at MD is constantly changing. The school's representatives say that this is to best suit the learning styles of the students or whatever. People have posted though that their requirements and classes are so apt to change that some students didn't know the requirements until a little before graduation. Temple seems to lay it out pretty clearly. Also, Temple's curriculum seems to be more traditional whereas MD has classes like Nutrition that supposedly covers histology, biochem, etc.

5) PRICE. All things being equal (if the clinical programs at MD and Temple are actually completely the same and all negative MD posts are due to personal issues) then going to Temple is way more financially doable for me and my fam. Going to MD would leave me at least $100K in debt. Not fun.

So there ya have it, a brief glimpse into my thought processes hah. Hope that helps!!

Basically Temple has everything that I'm looking for (super clinical focus, traditional curriculum, great price tag.) It's just a butterface school haha.

Congrats on your decision. Only iportant thing is that you're satisfied and know you want it!

I didnt know TEmple was paperless. I thought they mentioned that they weren't paperless yet, but were trying to get there? Maybe I wasn't listening correctly?
Well lemme say it was NOT easy... I bitched about not being able to decide for a good solid month. On the one hand people do regard MD's clinical program pretty highly, and their facilities are incredible. On the other hand, nobody really questions Temple's clinical program and they are supposedly getting new stuff fairly soon. Not even gonna lie, I lost sleep over the decision hah.

I ended up choosing Temple for a few reasons:

1) Their clinical requirements are (from what I was told) a little tougher than at MD. People have posted that the requirements at MD are slowly decreasing or switching to competencies, and that certain specialty areas are overbearing (perio) and some are severely lacking (pedo and endo.) Also, it sounds like MD is trying to beef up their research. Temple is pretty much super-focused on clinical.

2) The facilities at Temple aren't anywhere near as nice, but they do have paperless charts (MD does not) and will hopefully be getting new stuff by the time I get settled in.

3) I realized I was really attracted to MD because Baltimore is a new city for me and it represented a chance to get out of PA (I grew up 20 mins south of Philly, went to school in Pittsburgh, etc. I'm gettin a little tired of this state haha.) But in the end, the surrounding city isn't as important to me as the level of experience Temple promises.

4) The curriculum at MD is constantly changing. The school's representatives say that this is to best suit the learning styles of the students or whatever. People have posted though that their requirements and classes are so apt to change that some students didn't know the requirements until a little before graduation. Temple seems to lay it out pretty clearly. Also, Temple's curriculum seems to be more traditional whereas MD has classes like Nutrition that supposedly covers histology, biochem, etc.

5) PRICE. All things being equal (if the clinical programs at MD and Temple are actually completely the same and all negative MD posts are due to personal issues) then going to Temple is way more financially doable for me and my fam. Going to MD would leave me at least $100K in debt. Not fun.

So there ya have it, a brief glimpse into my thought processes hah. Hope that helps!!

I didnt know TEmple was paperless. I thought they mentioned that they weren't paperless yet, but were trying to get there? Maybe I wasn't listening correctly?

Yeah I remember that guy Brian mentioning that it hadn't been implemented yet, but a Temple student I emailed said that they did start using it. If they haven't already, let's hope they get it in gear by 2010-2011! The student at MD basically told me they weren't getting that anytime soon (which is weird because Brian said that MD already was...)

But yes, I definitely am happy :-D

That's weird! IT almost seems like hes convincing you to go somewhere else ! haha.
Yeah I remember that guy Brian mentioning that it hadn't been implemented yet, but a Temple student I emailed said that they did start using it. If they haven't already, let's hope they get it in gear by 2010-2011! The student at MD basically told me they weren't getting that anytime soon (which is weird because Brian said that MD already was...)

But yes, I definitely am happy :-D

Yeah he basically plugged MD all throughout his sleazy car salesman presentation!

I guess he just wnats to seem unbiased, and be like well if you wanna comehere, THEN COME HERE! which you do, so that's great! I liked temple a lot, too!

My deposit is down at Temple......It's good to have my future locked down finally :rolleyes:

You're def not from Philly. Get it right. It's called Cheesesteak. If you go to Geno's or Pat's to get them, you gotta order the right way - "the type of cheese" then whether you want ("wit") or don't want (don't say anything) fried onions. So for example, you go up to the counter and say "Provolone, wit" or just say, "American". And yep, it's not "with", it's pronounced "wit". :)

Thanks for the this delicious, mouth watering description
What made you choose Temple over UPenn??

Hey current students, when is the appropriate time to sign a lease for an apartment that begins Aug 1? I've been looking through apartment listings and craigslist and I am leaning towards a rental that's either a flat or a rowhouse or something other than an apartment building, 2 bedrooms because my gf will be coming with me, somewhere along the lines of Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill (I think I like Mt. Airy better).

Where's everybody else looking for lodging?

Ahh..so i'm in a bit of a tough spot right now. I just got accepted to Penn and now I'm debating whether Penn or Temple. Any thoughts on what the difference is between the two programs? I would really appreciate some HONEST feedback on the pros and cons for each program.

Ahh..so i'm in a bit of a tough spot right now. I just got accepted to Penn and now I'm debating whether Penn or Temple. Any thoughts on what the difference is between the two programs? I would really appreciate some HONEST feedback on the pros and cons for each program.

When did you interview at Penn? I interviewed at Penn and Temple last week and my gut feeling was that Penn was the better program for me because It gave me more options with the electives, research and summers off the first two years ad I want to specialize and the specialization rate is better coming out of Penn. If you want to be a GP then Temple is def the place to go the clinical requirements and patient pool is excellent. It is all dependent on what you are looking for in your education. I'm on a Navy scholarship so the price is not a factor which may influence you. GL in you decision!

Temple has great clinical--everyone knows that. Penn is penn. Also, summers off sounds pretty nice, too from what the above psoter said. It is really up to what you think fits what you wanna do best. There are a lot of people who want to specialize that think going to Penn is a better idea. Maybe look at tuition and see how it makes a difference for you. Go with your gut.

I want to do GP so I'd prolly pick Temple b/c of its clinical. But turning down a school like Penn sounds pretty hard. Gluck!

Thanks so much for your feedbacks Jdw22 and Dentgirl09.

I had my interview with Penn on Jan. 30th and found out just this past Wednesday. I absolutely love the campus as well and always walk through it since I go to Drexel. Thanks for mentioning some of the things I need to consider. At this point, I do want to specialize in the future and I know Penn will set me up in a good spot for that. Also, the two summers off is a nice incentive as well. I think Penn is where I am going to end up in August. Thanks again for your responses. I wish you guys the best as well and good luck in your future endeavors!!

I had my interview with Penn on Jan. 30th and found out just this past Wednesday. I absolutely love the campus as well and always walk through it since I go to Drexel. Thanks for mentioning some of the things I need to consider. At this point, I do want to specialize in the future and I know Penn will set me up in a good spot for that. Also, the two summers off is a nice incentive as well. I think Penn is where I am going to end up in August. Thanks again for your responses. I wish you guys the best as well and good luck in your future endeavors!!

No Problem, I interviewed there on Feb 12th and I feel in love with the place. I hope that I get in if so I will see you in august.

GLUCK with whatever school you decide on

Just looked at the curriculum. We don't get a single summer off?....:eek:

We may have a few weeks off since the summer sessions don't consist of very many credits. I was initially put off by the idea of not having a traditional summer break, but I think it may work out better being that we won't ever fall out of our routine. Either way, I'm sure we'll survive :p See you around campus!!

No break kind of sucks :/ whatever no big deal

I am jacked for the summer sessions. We have finally reached Professional school, and the key word there is Professional.

Also, we know get to do something we love year long. I think it'll be a blast being in Philly during the summer months as well. No complaints here.

I took summer school throughout college, it's not bad. especially with a couple relaxed classes.

I remember speaking with Brian about this and if I remember correctly, he said that first year you get about two months off for summer break. Second year only two or three weeks off. As for your clinical years, you make your own patient schedule so you can literally make a vacation for yourself if you like.

I remember speaking with Brian about this and if I remember correctly, he said that first year you get about two months off for summer break. Second year only two or three weeks off. As for your clinical years, you make your own patient schedule so you can literally make a vacation for yourself if you like.
Thanks for the info. I took summer classes through out my undergrad years as well but dental school will be completely different than undergrad, so just thought it would be nice if we can breathe in between.

This is correct, at the end of first year you get 2 months off, then after second year you get 2-3 weeks off to study for boards.

About having summer off in second year, I get to start working in the clinic playing doctor so I will be doing something I enjoy, so the time off doesnt matter. the more I learn and get to do the better off i will be.

If you really want time off go to Columbia you get the summer off every year.

Did any1 receive email from Terry regarding housing and rommate? How are you guys going to search for the roommates? I might as well start my search....

Join the facebook group Im pretty sure some people were picking up roommates on there. Just Search for group Kornberg School of Dentistry Temple...

Just wanted to bump the thread and also let nyone know that if they are going to live at Henry on the park they can put me down as the reference and I get cash for referring you. The cool thing is that I will split it with you. So if the referral fee is 500 bucks then you get 250 from me for putting me down.

PM me if you want my apt number. Otherwise enjoy the last summer before dental school.

If you are going to live at Summit Park you can put me down as the reference and I get cash for referring you. I will split it with you. So if the referral fee is 500 bucks then you get 250 from me for putting me down.

PM me if you want my apt number. Otherwise enjoy the last summer before dental school.

(sorry for ripping you off Corolla, but I could use the money as well)