Official The Ohio State University Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Two questions:

1) Is a car pretty much required for Columbus living?
2) What's the procedure to get your laptop approved and exempted from buying a new one? $1800 is pretty steep.

I second what logos said. Public transportation is pretty crappy in Columbus. You could get by without a car (at least the first two years), but I have to think it would be fairly inconvenient.

The laptops are a little steep, but like logos said, it includes an awesome four year warranty. I know a couple of people who have had their keyboards replaced and other things. I'm thinking about having mine sent in whenever I decide I can live without it for a few days. Plus, it's a nice computer. If you are a mac person, be warned that they won't approve your mac. The mac people I know either sold or gave their laptop away and continue to use their macs. If you go to http://ckm.osu.edu/mobile/5246.cfm, you can investigate the info on the laptop program. If you click on the link for "laptop package" it will give you the specs they used last year and what they said your current laptop needed to be exempt. I don't know when they will update it for next year, but you could e-mail the tech people at the address listed on the page. The $1800 is included in your budget, and they bill it to you each quarter ($600 a quarter).

Members don't see this ad.

A few more questions:

During the 1st and 2nd years, generally how long are the intervals between tests?

Is the histology course microscope based or just powerpoint slides?

Is there a student note taking service? Are the lecture audio posted on the web?

how many weeks do you get off to study for Step 1?

How much flexibility are there for the scheduling of 3rd year clerkships? Do you get to pick the order you do them? I looked at the Tadpole site and see that each clerkship is broken down to many different groups (Surgery 1, Surgery 2); do you pick the groups or are they assigned to you?

Also, for those who has done the third year, how do feel you are treated? Do most attendings and residents treat med students decently and willing to teach?

Sorry, I know it's a lot. I'd really appreciate to get some input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called them a while back and they told me that orientation starts Aug. 1. At least that's what I remember, but I could be wrong.

They don't use any microscopes for histology, only digital slides.

If you are a mac person, be warned that they won't approve your mac. The mac people I know either sold or gave their laptop away and continue to use their macs. .

Oh man, you're breaking my heart. Any word on whether they would allow a new intel mac with windows XP running on it (in a dual-boot situation)? If not, I will email them myself, but thank you if you have any knowledge. I really don't know if I have the patience to go back to a wholly windows computing environment.

I don't agree with the University Village recommendation. I went to OSU for undergrad and lived at UV for 3 years, I never had a bad experience with it and definitely haven't heard anything about theft. It does get a little noisy at times with football games, but it was never really a huge problem with me. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and you can see that it has very high ratings with the USG housing guide survey. I decided to get an apartment much closer to campus for next year though because I am honestly a little tired of the bus ride thing, which is not to say it's not convenient. It comes every half hour in the daytime and every hour after 7pm till 10:30pm. After that, you can also ride the city bus till around midnight. Just wanted to add this in case anyone was looking at UV so you don't rule it out believing that it's unsafe.

If you don't like UV, there are plenty of apartments right next to the medical center buildings. Pick up a copy of the campus newspaper "The Lantern" from a stand around campus and look in the classifieds. I would suggest Neil Ave., W. 8th-W. 10th., which are the closest.

As for the laptop thing, I was really considering buying my own due to the hefty $1800 pricetag. If I do, does anyone know when the deadline is to get it approved? Or if I end up going with the laptop the university provides, do we get to choose a brand and when does that happen? I'm wondering because I'll be overseas most of this summer and I don't want to miss any deadlines.

Seriously, I was planning on getting a new Intel Mac (and if necessary, getting Parallels to run Windows XP) this Summer all for around the same price. I refuse to own a computer that schackles me to the Windows' cluttered way of thinking about technology. I sure hope that I'm not required to buy a computer that I will never use. I'm positive I can provide technical support for myself if I need to.

A few more questions:

During the 1st and 2nd years, generally how long are the intervals between tests?

Generally three weeks, sometimes four.

Is the histology course microscope based or just powerpoint slides?

A micro what? :p Do some schools use microscopes still? Its powerpoint. This year's first years had a revamped histo course so I dont know the details but it was supposed to be much better than the histo we had...which was pretty much no histo...which is fine with me as its pretty useless...but I guess for boards its relevant...

Is there a student note taking service? Are the lecture audio posted on the web?

No note service, but it really isnt much of a loss, I wouldnt use it if there were. The issue is that there is already too much material to go through.

What we have:

Lecture

Lecture recordings (watch online, it shows the powerpoints synced with the audio of the lecture...it works pretty well but I dont have time to use it much...some people love it and dont go to class (called IP ISPers...pretty acceptable...not looked down on as far as i've seen...i've done it about 1/4 the time)

Notes that go with lecture (usually in outline formatt...sometimes other format...like written out like a text :)thumbdown )

Powerpoints from all lectures (they're online...you guys can download them and write directly on them in your tablet laptops)

Textbook
-I recommend that you buy all of the anatomy textbooks (dissector, atlas, textbook, case book). Hopefully that will let you kinda figure out how you learn in medschool. I know for me and a lot of other people the way you learn and study had to change quite a bit for medschool. If you then decide that textbooks arent for you (like me), then you really dont need to buy any others except maybe the neuroanatomy atlas for Neuro block and maybe the Cardio book because it is hands down the best and most usefull text book we've been recomended (and the only textbook that i've read other than the atlases...althogh i've bought quite a few...).

Not to mention other learning resources like the cadavers, cross section lab, online radiograph website, online pathology review website ("PEWS"), brains for neuro, pediatric hearts with congenital defects collection for cardio, each others eyes for ophtho (part of neuro), oh...and the small groups which vary in formatt but are part of pretty much every block...and their associated notes....

The general picture, at least in my opinion, is that you have to decide what materials are best for you. Perhaps someone out there can use them all, but I just dont have the time/energy to use so many redundant sources of info...Its the so called "drinking from a firehose" [/QUOTE]

how many weeks do you get off to study for Step 1?

All of May...so 4.

I think most are planning on getting started during april's "Capstone" block as I think there is a perception it will be pretty easy (although every time i've thought that about a block in the past its turned out to be false..:p )

How much flexibility are there for the scheduling of 3rd year clerkships? Do you get to pick the order you do them? I looked at the Tadpole site and see that each clerkship is broken down to many different groups (Surgery 1, Surgery 2); do you pick the groups or are they assigned to you?

Its somewhere in between picking and assignment. I think the way its done is really great...very fair...but then again I havent seen my schedule yet ;)

Its basically similar to the match...but of course with only one rank list. They have us make a big list online of preferences like:

1. Medicine in Dec
2. Medicine in Oct
2. Ob in April

etc etc...to like 36 choices

They then feed that into a computer that creates a randomized list of students then goes down the list trying to give everyone their highest ranked choice that is not already full.

Thus it is likely that no one will get the exact schedule that they want, but that everyone will get a schedule with several features that were important to them. This avoids the free-for-all first come first served type deal where everyone has to be on the computer at some specified time to try to grab what they want, but also gives us some control (as opposed to a totally random system).

As far as what we get to pick inside of each rotation...well...i'm not exactly sure. From our recent scheduling meeting, I got the impression that it was done somewhat casually...as in before the rotation someone from the dept calls you up and asks what you'd prefer of what they have available. ie for ambulatory half is family practice and half is something else....could be like an IM subspecialty that works out of an office (=ambulatory). You do get to pick psych or neuro first/second in the psych-neuro rotation.

Sorry, I know it's a lot. I'd really appreciate to get some input.

Not a problem. I'd be happy to answer anything else.

Oh man, you're breaking my heart. Any word on whether they would allow a new intel mac with windows XP running on it (in a dual-boot situation)? If not, I will email them myself, but thank you if you have any knowledge. I really don't know if I have the patience to go back to a wholly windows computing environment.

I know in the past they haven't allowed macs - I think its even stated on the website I referenced earlier that they don't. I don't know how they feel about the new macs. E-mail them and find out what they have to say.

You don't HAVE to use the computer they make you buy. Like I said, I know several people (mostly mac people) who either gave their OSU laptop to a family member or sold it to someone. They continue to use their macs. IT won't hunt you down for using a mac - they just won't support it.

I don't agree with the University Village recommendation. I went to OSU for undergrad and lived at UV for 3 years, I never had a bad experience with it and definitely haven't heard anything about theft. . . .Just wanted to add this in case anyone was looking at UV so you don't rule it out believing that it's unsafe.

I will admit to not having any personal experience, but when my sister-in-law lived there, nearly every apartment in her building was robbed over Christmas break (including hers) and a couple of the girls who stayed in their apartments over break were raped. She was very thankful that she wasn't one of them as she was also staying over break. There was another undergrad complex (not UV) where nearly every apartment was robbed over break this past year. So - I think its something to think about if you are looking at places that are predominantly students.

As for the laptop thing, I was really considering buying my own due to the hefty $1800 pricetag. If I do, does anyone know when the deadline is to get it approved? Or if I end up going with the laptop the university provides, do we get to choose a brand and when does that happen? I'm wondering because I'll be overseas most of this summer and I don't want to miss any deadlines.

I think the website says July 1, but I don't think they strictly enforce it. If you go with the University laptop, no, you don't get any choice about the brand or options. Typically it is a Lenovo (formerly IBM). Last year, they got tablets, we got T43's. I haven't heard any word on what model they have decided on for next year.

If you decide to buy your own, just make sure it meets their specs (listed online). I know you can get a laptop for cheaper than $1800, but if you priced the model they provide with the same specs and warranty, it actually is a decent deal for that computer.

I've been pretty happy with my laptop, but I know people who have been equally happy with the laptops they purchased on their own. Do some research and do what you feel is best for you. I do know some people ended up with the OSU laptop simply because they didn't have the money to buy one and get it pre-approved prior to getting their first financial aid disbursement in August.

Speaking of financial aid - budget wisely over the summer. Unfortunately, they haven't figured out a way to get around disbursing your financial aid in three equal amounts (fall, winter and spring) quarters. This means that you have the same amount of aid for fall quarter, which is a month longer for med students than you do the other two quarters. Add in the costs of buying books, rental deposits, moving and etc, many people end up running out of money WAY before the second disbursement. Several of us have talked to the FA office about this, but to the best of my knowledge, they haven't changed this.

Add in the costs of buying books, rental deposits, moving and etc, many people end up running out of money WAY before the second disbursement. Several of us have talked to the FA office about this, but to the best of my knowledge, they haven't changed this.

Thats a good point. Lots of costs at the beginning of med one (the long quarter...). Your instruments will probably be 150 (add $300 or more for the ophthalmoscope if you get it...) Anatomy books will be expensive unless you make it to the used book sale in time (totally luck in the past...), a "C" parking pass is about $200. Joining AMA is around $100 (totally optional...but I did it...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the IT people about the laptop options and they gave me this PDF listing the various options they offer currently. It may change for the upcoming semester, but the models will be pretty similar. They also said there will be two types of tablets available.

Attachments

• LaptopFileforibuyJan_4.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 186
Hey congrats everyone! OSU is my first choice, i'll be applying this summer. I'm an OH state resident. I wanted to ask you guys, did anyone have a DAT of a 18? I know the average is around a 19, but how hard is it to get at least an 18 (i'm not a great test taker) but my gpa is high.

Also, I only have 9/13 requirements so far, (still have to take phy 1 and 2, biochem, anatomy during my senior year). Was anyone else in this situation? I hooope I get an interview :)

Thanks everyone!

Uhh, you're in the wrong forum dentalgirl, this is Allopathic (medicine). Only MD students here. Try the dental forum. We all took the MCAT. Good luck!

oops...sorrrry haha...congrats anyways :p

All I have is the list of specialties. I don't know where to find the complete match list.

Distribution of specialties include: Internal medicine (45); family medicine (20); pediatrics (19); orthopaedics (15); ophthalmology and anesthesiology (11); general surgery (10); radiology (9); medicine/pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, psychiatry, and neurology (7 each); emergency medicine and otolaryngology (5); pathology (4); neurological surgery (3); plastic surgery, radiation oncology, and urological surgery (2 each); child neurology (1); and pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation (1).

I don't agree with the University Village recommendation. I went to OSU for undergrad and lived at UV for 3 years, I never had a bad experience with it and definitely haven't heard anything about theft. It does get a little noisy at times with football games, but it was never really a huge problem with me. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and you can see that it has very high ratings with the USG housing guide survey. I decided to get an apartment much closer to campus for next year though because I am honestly a little tired of the bus ride thing, which is not to say it's not convenient. It comes every half hour in the daytime and every hour after 7pm till 10:30pm. After that, you can also ride the city bus till around midnight. Just wanted to add this in case anyone was looking at UV so you don't rule it out believing that it's unsafe.

I have to agree. I've lived at UV for three years and have never heard of breakins to apartments here. It's consistently the #1 rated apartment complex around campus by the USG Housing Guide and dirt cheap, particularly if you live with another person. The bus drops you right off by the med school and Krogers (grocery store) is within walking distance so you don't absolutely have to have a car. The only thefts I've seen at UV have been auto breakins, but that happens anywhere around campus in Columbus. Also, there might be some undergrads here but they are mostly foreign students and VERY quiet. I've never ever had an issue with noise here. I'm in ISP (independent study) and I study here peacefully and comfortably all the time.

P.S. Regarding the IBM tablet laptops the school provides. They suck. Hard. Not only are they out of date with technology, but they were expensive. I got a top of the line Gateway tablet with a comparable warranty and much better specs for the same 1800 dollars the school makes you pay for the IBM. There was almost a Med 1 revolt for how sucky the laptops were. There were big problems, although I haven't heard anything lately. I love my Gateway and I'd recommend getting your own computer.

Can anyone provide a list of the text books used in the M1 year? I know one shouldn't mass buy the text books. But I am curious which ones are used.

Can anyone provide a list of the text books used in the M1 year? I know one shouldn't mass buy the text books. But I am curious which ones are used.

My understanding is that textbooks are rarely used in the Integrated Pathway, with the exception of the Cardio module. For ISP, we use a ton of different textbooks, some good, some bad. There used to be a document called "The Tadpole" which listed the texts used in IP the previous year, but I'm not finding it on the website.

I wouldn't buy any texts until you get here, as much as that keeps you from buying them a little cheaper online used. Last year, they changed their minds twice about the anatomy texts they were using just a couple of weeks before classes started.

Here are the current ISP texts:
Lippincott's Illustrative Reviews: Biochemistry, 3rd Ed., Champe and Harvey,
Lippincott Publ. Co., 2005.

Basic Medical Biochemistry: A Clinical Approach, Marks, Marks & Smith, 2005
Williams & Wilkins.

Harper's Illustrated Biochemistry, R.K. Murray, et al., 27th Ed, 2006, Appleton/Lange.

Marks Essentials of Biochemistry, 1st ed., Lieberman, Marks, Smith. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2007

**Clinical Neuroanatomy and Related Neuroscience, 4th ed., Fitzgerald

Principles of Neural Science, 4th Ed, Eric R. Kandel et al., McGraw Hill 2000.

Medical Physiology, 2nd Ed., Rhoades & Tanner, Little Brown & Co. Publishers, 2003.

Renal Physiology , Bruce M., Md Koeppen , Bruce A., Phd Stanton
Published by Mosby (January 2001)

Respiratory Physiology: A Clinical Approach, Richard M. Schwartzstein and Michael J. Parker, Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2006

Genetics in Medicine, 6th ed., M.W. Thompson, et al. W.B. Sanders, Philadelphia PA, 2001.

Kuby Immunology by Goldsby, et al., 6th edition, 2005.

Pathologic Basis of Disease, 7th Ed., Robbins & Cotran, W.B. Saunders Publ., 2004.

If you're cheap like me, most of the ISP books can be obtained via OhioLink or through the OSU Health Sciences or ISP libraries on reserve. Since many kids study on campus anyway, checking books out for a few hours to do objectives isn't a big deal. This is what I do, but I'm cheap. I haven't bought any books since Anatomy, and I wish I had known more about the library route then too. You might want to have an Atlas and medical dictionary of your own though. And maybe a biochem text (although I haven't used them). I hope to get through ISP before the boards only having to buy board study books.

Congrats All! I am going to OSU next year and am currently there for undergrad and LoVE it! As far as apartment/living goes, I have lived off of central campus for the past 3 years and you want to avoid that. It is very slummy, full of undergrads who party 5 nights of week and expensive for what you are getting. Victorian Villiage which is south of campus is nice, walking distance to campus. I am living in Grandview, which is west of campus, there are A LOT of reasonably priced apartment complexes around there that are just across the river. You will have to plan on getting a bike or parking pass for your car, but my roomate and I are paying around $700 a month next year for rent and all untilities except internet, so the price is right.

For the IP pathway, how much time do M1s spent in small group sessions weekly? Are they actively taught by the teachers or is it more of a PBL approach where the students discuss among each other and look through texts to come up with answers by themselves?

For the IP pathway, how much time do M1s spent in small group sessions weekly? Are they actively taught by the teachers or is it more of a PBL approach where the students discuss among each other and look through texts to come up with answers by themselves?

Its actually pretty variable. The small groups start very slowly in anatomy, less than one per week. After awhile there are more, but still usually not more than one or two sessions.

The format of the sessions changes every block. Some are better than others. Most are like PBL in that they are participatory, but are not strictly PBL in that the sessions are shorter and only have one meeting (most).

The capstone block at the end of med 2 (were starting it in a week) looks to me to be more like PBL.

OSU used to have a PBL pathway where you could do only PBL for the first two years, but it was eliminated because PBL students did poorly on the boards.

Does anyone know the dress code at OSU COM for men?

1. Jeans not permitted?

2. Just shirt and pants - or a tie is necessary?

3. Are the requirements the same for all 4 years?

Thanks.

You can browse throught the various handbooks at http://medicine.osu.edu/currentstudents/studentresources/handbooks/index.cfm. In non-clinical situations (lecture, small group) there really isn't much of a dress code. No jeans for any kind of clinical scenario, but they are certainly allowed the rest of the time. I'm not sure if ties are required in clinical situations, but I think they are strongly recommended.

P.S. Regarding the IBM tablet laptops the school provides. They suck. Hard. Not only are they out of date with technology, but they were expensive. I got a top of the line Gateway tablet with a comparable warranty and much better specs for the same 1800 dollars the school makes you pay for the IBM. There was almost a Med 1 revolt for how sucky the laptops were. There were big problems, although I haven't heard anything lately. I love my Gateway and I'd recommend getting your own computer.

I contacted them and I think they actually said that this year, they're letting students choose from a number of packages from different computer brands. That could be the result of student complaints. I'm not absolutely sure about this, though it would be pretty awesome.

I contacted them and I think they actually said that this year, they're letting students choose from a number of packages from different computer brands. That could be the result of student complaints. I'm not absolutely sure about this, though it would be pretty awesome.

See the PDF I posted a little up the thread for the possible laptops options.

Anybody went to Second Look Weekend? I didn't go but I am curious if there was any interesting information.

Does anyone have the link to the status page...mine isn't working for some reason. Thanks!

Any new insights from second look? How was it?

Does anyone know of anything I can do to help get off the waitlist? I recently sent a letter of intent with my form to be placed on the waitlist, but I was wondering if anyone knew anything else that OSU likes/dislikes. I've heard some schools view numerous phone calls as commitment while others view them as annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

i live 2 floors below oden and other ballers. anyway im a 1st yr, you can ask me stuff if you want but it has to be good

I'm a current undergrad at OSU going to OSU college of medicine next year! I can't wait to meet all of you. In terms of the people wondering about macs, I am a huge mac person and I pretty much refuse to touch a windows operating machine. That being said, I know people who are current first year medical students who also use macs , and they say its completely fine to use. I can second the comment said earlier about students almost revolting about their tablet pc's. A couple of my friends currently in their first year of med. have vouched how much they hate them and how they don't work well. The other IBM laptop thats not a tablet though I hear is very nice.

I'm also sort of looking for a male roomate for next year if anyone is interested. Just PM me. See you soon!

i live 2 floors below oden and other ballers. anyway im a 1st yr, you can ask me stuff if you want but it has to be good
Wow, where do you live? It's too bad Oden will be gone in the NBA next year though.

I live in Neil building, it's a dorm kinda thing. like 650/month. i like it though. printing yeah library allows free printing, ppl give me dirty looks when i exploit it though. smart of oden to go pro, no pt in staying here any longer.

Hey everyone, I'll be joining you in the class of 2011 this fall! Does anyone know of any specific apartment complexes that are popular places to live for med students? I'm heading down to Columbus in a few weeks to look for housing so any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Thinking about flying in to do apartment hunting in late May. Is that a good time to do so? Also what are some cheap and decent hotels/motels close to campus?

Thanks

Hey everyone, I'll be joining you in the class of 2011 this fall! Does anyone know of any specific apartment complexes that are popular places to live for med students? I'm heading down to Columbus in a few weeks to look for housing so any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

I believe that was already answered above by several ppl suggesting diff places to live around campus...I posted a msg about it myself

Has anyone received their financial aid packages yet? I got an email saying that they should have arrived by today, April 15th, but I've gotten nothing...

I haven't gotten my financial aid packet yet either, you're not alone

For those of you who are curious, Second Look Day was nice. The information presented was similiar to what was given on interview day and what can be found on the website. They spoke about the curriculum more being sure to point out the extra-special features of OSU's curriculum for the people who are still undecided and they had a panel of medical students (M2-M4) who answered questions about anything from what schools they had been accepted to to where to live. There were some plugs made for the Counseling service, Student Council, and a research honor society, but you can find that information on the web. The tour was more thorough and included a demonstration of the simulated man as well as time for the tourees to test the bronchoscope simulator and start an IV in a practice arm. All of that was great for clearing any doubts that I had about going to the school. If you have any more questions about the day or information covered, ask away.

TheGalvaniFrog - I've been burned in the past by not searching for housing soon enough so I made sure to ask about this. They told me housing turnover is pretty fast around OSU so looking a month or a month and half before you intend to move is about right. That being said if you intend to move-in in July, a late May apartment hunt should be fine.

fille4321 - From the student panel on Second Look Day, it sounds like a lot of students live in Victorian Village and the Short North neighborhoods opposed to traditional apartment complexes. Both of these neighborhoods are south of campus and composed of mostly Victorian style houses that have been converted to apartments or duplexes. They told me that if you drive around you'll see a lot of "For Rent" signs in that area that you might not have found in preliminary housing searches on the net. They suggested the www.metro-rental.com website as a good place to look for openings too.

For those of you who haven't gotten your financial aid packages yet , I am right there with you. I heard that we should get them by April 20, and, if you haven't received it by April 30, you should call.

hi! I'll be attending OSU next year and am super excited about it! :p

Anyways, just wanted to let you guys know...
I emailed the financial aid office and they said the awards are sent out but you can also view the financial aid award info at www.sfa.osu.edu/status
you just have to activate your OSU username and stuff!

Is the above only applicable to current OSU undergrads? I imagine anybody else can't activate their OSU user names yet.

Is the above only applicable to current OSU undergrads? I imagine anybody else can't activate their OSU user names yet.

I think you can go ahead and activate your OSU username if you've been accepted. I seem to remember people doing it last year.

Also - they've developed an on-line housing survey thing to help students find housing and/or roommates. I would think that you would be getting information on how to access that in the near future.

Thanks for the reply. Anyone know how to activate the account?