Quantcast

Official TPR August 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I did a search on previous threads like this and it seems like a good idea. Everyone taking the TPR course for the August MCAT or anyone who have experience with TPR please don't be afraid to post. I need all the help I can get. So voice your opinions, concerns or questions regarding TPR for this August MCAT.

I took 4911 today as the first official MCAT Diag. I don't know what I got on it but I will post and let people know. I haven't looked at anything for the last two months. I took the practice MCAT that they offered on April 17 (4902) and scored 12p 8v 8b. This was after attempting to prep for April, but I gave it up two weeks before and just drillied physics. I was thrilled about the PS, it just goes to show you that learning the formulas really helps.

Today I took 4911 and I heard the average is usually around 18. If you have taken it let us know how you did.

Keep this thing going.

JD

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got through about 80% of it. Now that I'm retaking, I'm doing the rest. I just open the workbook, start, and make notes on the subject matter i did poorly on. Then I review that chapter.

I doubt anyone does ALL the homework; I didn't even attend ALL the classes b/c of my hectic schedule.

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I definately do all the homework. For me, the best way to make sure that I understand concept, especially for the phys sciences, is to do butt loads of problems.

Tooth

MDtoBe777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We got back our scores from the second diagnostic today. My teacher said that the class average was close to 30! WOW! Just thought I'd share...by the way, I got nothing close to that score.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MDtoBe777 said:
We got back our scores from the second diagnostic today. My teacher said that the class average was close to 30! WOW! Just thought I'd share...by the way, I got nothing close to that score.

That really seems incredibly high, particularly for the second diag. Everyone in my class was unhappy with the second diag. I think high 20s was really good for that one.

I remember scores in the class didn't really skyrocket until the 4th diag. 4 of us that tended to hang out a bit anyway scored 34 on that one. It was pretty funny. I said I wished I could trade that for a 34 on the real thing, cause I thought that was the highest score I'd ever get. I actually considered not taking the 3rd diag because I wanted to stay confident for the test and I thought a 34 was the best I'd ever do :)

Shrike

Lanius examinatianus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MDtoBe777 said:
We got back our scores from the second diagnostic today. My teacher said that the class average was close to 30!

This seems impossible, or nearly so. Classes vary, of course, but I think it significant that I've never seen anything like this. Twenty, maybe; thirty, no way. I suspect the teacher had an agenda (though I don't know what it was).

BCmedgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what I would have got out of 15 for TPR diagnostic 4921 if I got

55/77 Physical Sciences
38/60 Verbal
67/77 Biology

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCmedgirl said:
Hi,

I was wondering what I would have got out of 15 for TPR diagnostic 4921 if I got

55/77 Physical Sciences
38/60 Verbal
67/77 Biology

I didn't get any kind of answer key like that. If you grade it online you can find out.

I can give you some guesses based on what I got.

54/77 phys was a 9, so I'd guess you got a 9 or maybe a 10.
52/60 verbal was a 12, no idea what this means for yours.
56/77 bio was a 10, so I'd guess you beat 10 by quite a bit, maybe a 13 or so?

Sorry I couldn't do better, hope it helps.

BCmedgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was also wondering about 4931 and whether the scaling was the same

My marks were Physics 69/77
Verbal 50/60
Bio 65/77

Thanks, if anyone could tell me what there score was and what 15 scale mark it equated to, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Katie

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCmedgirl said:
I was also wondering about 4931 and whether the scaling was the same

My marks were Physics 69/77
Verbal 50/60
Bio 65/77

Thanks, if anyone could tell me what there score was and what 15 scale mark it equated to, I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Katie

Physics 54/77 = 9
Verbal 51/60 = 11
Bio 63/77 = 11

So what's the deal? Why aren't you getting score reports?

BCmedgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The course wasn't offered anywhere near me and so I am studying on my own. A girl gave me some of her study stuff which included these two tests which I tried yesterday and today. I really wish I could have taken the course though - it would have been nice to learn tricks for verbal and find out if I am on the right track with my essays.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
BCmedgirl said:
The course wasn't offered anywhere near me and so I am studying on my own. A girl gave me some of her study stuff which included these two tests which I tried yesterday and today. I really wish I could have taken the course though - it would have been nice to learn tricks for verbal and find out if I am on the right track with my essays.

Well, I'm guessing you're in the 33+ range on the TPR test. Try some AAMC tests to be sure, but it looks like you're doing well.

omar06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else taking their 2nd diag exam this weekend. I heard this is an important one, since its considered a midterm-type exam. Lets see if the last 6wks of classes and studying paid off.

Members don't see this ad :)

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
omar06 said:
Anyone else taking their 2nd diag exam this weekend. I heard this is an important one, since its considered a midterm-type exam. Lets see if the last 6wks of classes and studying paid off.

No! The 2nd one is not particularly important (except that they're all good chances to practice and gauge how you're doing).

Expect the score of the 2nd diag to be lower than you want it to be. That's normal, ok, and doesn't mean you're not improving. The work is firming up the foundation for some big jumps, maybe on 3, but definitely on 4 and 5. Two tends to be ugly.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking 4921 right now. I am on my ten minute break bewteen WS and BS. My brain is fried and I am having trouble typing. I just drank a big coffe, I hope I don't have to use the washroom during this last section.

I will let you know when I score it tonight, I ran out of time on PS and Verbal. So I am not expecting big things.

4 minutes left, i better go

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
took TPR A earlier today (the one from the book of tests): 8v, 7p, 7b....the sciences were hard, but the book said they would be, but still, wish i was doing better. on the bright side, verbal went up 4 pts from 4921.

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did practice test B: 11v, 6p,9b. Yes, the sciences are harder, but how much so? :( At least I haven't lost anything in verbal :D

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beat down by 4921.

The breakdown: 7ps, 8v, 10bs Total: 25 (two points higher than 4911)

This was my first full length in a while I am made lots of stupid mistakes, ran out of time and I was up past midnight last night because I spent all day moving from Dallas back down in Austin into a new apartment. Those are the standard excuses but it really boils down to the fact that I haven't been studying like I should. I am a week behind in my homework, I haven't had the chance to review anything and I haven't looked at anything MCAT related for the last week or so.

This test was a good kick in the ass for me and I will start to study harder. I have five weeks left, there is still time, just not very much.

Anyway, that's how my life has been lately.

Any comments, I really want the next on, 4931 to be around 30, so I have to kick it into high gear.

The Plan:
4931 - July 17
5R - July 24
6R - July 31
7 - August 7
MCAT - August 14

I will be doing the TPR stuff, EK 101Verbal, and I will probably do 4R in sections.
How does this plan sound?

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
say JDAD..are you taking TPR at dobie in austin..

took 4931 today..12 PS 11 V 7 BS...ouch..im upset over BS..went down from 8 last time..its a real concern..

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be, I transfered from Dallas and I start class on Monday. Congrats on the 4931 score, you can bring up bio. Don't worry.

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ah, i didn't know they still had classes starting. but the teachers seem to be pretty good so far..

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They don't have new classes starting. I am tansfering from the Dallas location because I start research here at school. What class are you in? Maybe we are in the same class?

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took 4931 yesterday...one again verbal takes me down

PS: 11
BS: 10
VR: 8

O well I did better in PS than i expected. I'm looking get 11's across the board on the real thing, I hope I'll be able to pull that off. In BS I made a few careless errors.

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4:00-6:30 section...btw how are you studying for the bio...i think a combination of fatigue/unpreparedness doomed me in the biosci last time...

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the same class as me. Small world.

I haven't really been studying bio. I have gotten the same score each test, i am just reading and highlighting, but I need to kick it into high gear soon. See you in class, I am sure it will be easy for you to spot me, the new kid.

Later

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think that the TPR verbal diagnostics are very difficult. I have been improving steadily in all of my sections except for verbal, which I practice every day. On the first diagnost i got a 6, and i didnt even finish 3 passages. On 4931 and 4921 I got a 6!! The day before 4931 I took an exam crackers verbal test and scored a ten on it. WTF is going on? Is it me? Anyway, 4931 broke down like this 8P 9B 6V. Slow but steady improvements. Anyone out there have any indication where one should be right now if they're gunning for a >30 on the real MCAT?

Tooth

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard a big jump occurs in verbal over the next practice test, as its aamc not princeton. verbal also hasn't improved much for me. if it doesn't over the next test then start to worry. i believe the princeton ones are more difficult.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TiggidyTooth said:
Does anyone else think that the TPR verbal diagnostics are very difficult. I have been improving steadily in all of my sections except for verbal, which I practice every day. On the first diagnost i got a 6, and i didnt even finish 3 passages. On 4931 and 4921 I got a 6!! The day before 4931 I took an exam crackers verbal test and scored a ten on it. WTF is going on? Is it me? Anyway, 4931 broke down like this 8P 9B 6V. Slow but steady improvements. Anyone out there have any indication where one should be right now if they're gunning for a >30 on the real MCAT?

Tooth

You only finished 3 passages? Out of 9?

I increased about 5 points from the 3rd diag to the real thing. So if you want >30 and you were increasing at that rate, you'd need about a 26 right now.

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:
You only finished 3 passages? Out of 9?

I increased about 5 points from the 3rd diag to the real thing. So if you want >30 and you were increasing at that rate, you'd need about a 26 right now.
:laugh: Read it again, Moosie ;) :laugh:

Tooth, et.al.,

Don't freak out until you take the AAMC tests. Remember, the Princeton tests aren't representative of the real thing. I'm assuming you finished the verbal on 4921 and 4931--and you got a 6. So you're doing better on timing. What are the questions you're missing? Are they answers that are found in the passage? Or, ones that ask you to speculate about the author's intentions, mood, opinion, etc.? Could be that you're not reading carefully (missing facts) or not interpreting (missing mood, theme of the passage, etc.) Does the question itself throw you? i.e, "the author would least likely agree to which of the following statements?" (rephrase the question in your own words).

Sorry this is so wordy...kinda reads like an unintelligible MCAT verbal passage.... :p

TiggidyTooth

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Actually, I haven't been able to finish any of the TPR verbal sections. But when I take an exam crackers test out of the 101 verbal book I can usually finish and I average between a 9 or a 10. On the other hand, TPR verbal passages end up with 2 passages left (as in I finished 7 of them) and I have been missing all types of questions. I don't really understand what is going on given the large range in scores between Exam crackers and TPR. Anyway, pray for me. I practice 3 verbal passages everyday giving myself 27 minutes to finish them. I average missing about 5 questions every 3 passages when I do this. So it's either TPR verbal is way more difficult, or perhaps its the stress or something? Let us pray.

Tooth

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNTlabrat said:
:laugh: Read it again, Moosie ;) :laugh:

Oh! I see now. I read "I didn't even finish three passages" to mean he didn't even finish three passages, let alone start work on 4+ :)

silkworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question, are these diagnostics the same as the Test A-D on the test book? If not, are they comparable in quality and difficulty? Thanks

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
silkworm said:
A question, are these diagnostics the same as the Test A-D on the test book? If not, are they comparable in quality and difficulty? Thanks

A-D are supposed to be extra tough. So the normal diags are probably a touch easier than A-D.

unitedgoal

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the general consesus for how much points better I am for the aamc tests if I am getting 27-29 on these three tests? I'm kinda scared since I already took the MCAT and I don't know if I have really improved yet. Thanks a lot!

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thas reassuring to hear that the A-D exams are extra tough. The bio on Test A was really bad, while the physical just had inane questions. I thought verbal wasn't that bad though. anyone else taken Test A?

silkworm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
jammin06 said:
thas reassuring to hear that the A-D exams are extra tough. The bio on Test A was really bad, while the physical just had inane questions. I thought verbal wasn't that bad though. anyone else taken Test A?

I will take it on Wednesday. Dunno why, I must enjoy getting discouraged.

btw, do you mean the physical section is inane or insane? Not sure if that's a typo because "insane" is an preferred adjective to refer to MCAT. :)

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
unitedgoal said:
Does anyone know the general consesus for how much points better I am for the aamc tests if I am getting 27-29 on these three tests? I'm kinda scared since I already took the MCAT and I don't know if I have really improved yet. Thanks a lot!

Which three? The first three diags? I jumped three points from the third to the fourth diag. I have the feeling that most people saw a big jump from TPR diag to AAMC practice test.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
eh, what's the difference. I did mean to put 'inane', some of the questions were just silly and obscure. Nonetheless, I am sure that insane would be an equally viable description :)

rick james MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took test A today. I found it a little harder that TPR daignostics. I have taken 4911 and 4921, and I will take 4931 shortly. On test A, my breakdown was as follows: 11-P, 9-V, 11-B. I have been getting 9's and 10's on EK verbal tests (I have taken 3 thus far). All of TPR teachers say tests A-D are definitely more difficult than the real thing. How is everyone else feeling as we close in on the final month of preparation?

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was pretty out of it today but did you come in late...anyhow i'll see you in bio tomrorow...i was wearin a wichita state hat..

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jon0013 said:
i was pretty out of it today but did you come in late...anyhow i'll see you in bio tomrorow...i was wearin a wichita state hat..

I remember seeing you, yes, I did come in late.

I won't be in class today because I already had the bio 5 lecture. The class schedule didn't mesh together and there has been some ovoerlap. I haven't had orgo 4 or 5 and yesterday we did six. So I have some work to do. I have to look at all the schedule and figure it out.

Anyway, take care and I am sure I will be seeing you around.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Based on anecdotal evidence I've gotten the impression that having a score in the mid to high 20's on 4921 is a pretty good sign, just keep cracking those books and you're in good shape. As far as 4931, my first big jump came there, but several people in my class didn't improve their scores that much and were really getting frustrated until the AAMC tests.

And a 30+ on on of the A-D exams is very good. But I didn't touch the A-D book. By the time I ran out of other material I was close to burned out anyway and didn't want to discourage myself by taking one of those ;). If you take one of those tests make sure you appreciate the fact that they are more difficult and don't let it hurt your confidence if you don't do too well on them.

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ahh...thats weird, i asked the people at TPR how many practice tests they had and they said just 3 old AAMCs...how do A-D compare to the rest..are they real old tests or what? moose, are you currently applying..if so hows the progress coming along?

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
jon0013 said:
moose, are you currently applying..if so hows the progress coming along?

I am currently applying, but my situation is odd as an active duty member. I can get stopped by AF personnel if they deny my request to let me change career fields or by the normal med school application process. The school I'm applying to stops the app process if personnel doesn't approve my request, so it's two chances to bust.

That's ok, I've taken this long, I'll get it eventually, even if I have to retire first :)

ifailedmcat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jon0013 said:
ahh...thats weird, i asked the people at TPR how many practice tests they had and they said just 3 old AAMCs...how do A-D compare to the rest..are they real old tests or what?

It's weird how you guys are getting the A-D tests. I heard they were insanely hard and a TPR instructor told us we weren't even supposed to get them because they would do more harm than good.