Official TPR August 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search on previous threads like this and it seems like a good idea. Everyone taking the TPR course for the August MCAT or anyone who have experience with TPR please don't be afraid to post. I need all the help I can get. So voice your opinions, concerns or questions regarding TPR for this August MCAT.

I took 4911 today as the first official MCAT Diag. I don't know what I got on it but I will post and let people know. I haven't looked at anything for the last two months. I took the practice MCAT that they offered on April 17 (4902) and scored 12p 8v 8b. This was after attempting to prep for April, but I gave it up two weeks before and just drillied physics. I was thrilled about the PS, it just goes to show you that learning the formulas really helps.

Today I took 4911 and I heard the average is usually around 18. If you have taken it let us know how you did.

Keep this thing going.

JD

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't touched a-d so I can't help you there.

Jon0013, do you know what we are covering in chemistry today?

There are a lot of tricky questions on TPR Test A, for PS the difficulty lay not in the formula memorization. For BS in addition to the trickiness, they test a lot of esoteric knowledge that I have not seen in Kaplan tests. Plus, it's got a unforgiving curve. (At least these are true for the 2002 version I have)

My advice is to do them now rather than the week before exam.

I took EK 1e, it definitely approach the difficulty level of TPR.

A-D is some pretty tricky crap, at least in my opinion

but then again it even states in the book that the sciences are harder than ones will be on the real thing

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry didnt get on the comp till now..we just talked about Eqiulibrium chapter and first 1/3 of Acids and Bases..nothing too difficult...i was wondering if you know if A-D are the diags TPR use to give to students? i was just thinking wouldnt it be cruel if they gave test A as the first diag and everyone fails miserably and then they make huge improvements and TPR doesnt have to worry about the guarantee..

Yeah, that would be VERY cruel. I don't think TPR is that cruel though. I was scoring 24-27 on the TPR Diags, but then I took Practice Test A a few days ago and scored a 19. Was totally demoralized for awhile, but now after reviewing it I feel much better. I feel more comfortable with topics I was somewhat shaky on in the Sciences. As for Verbal, that's still an issue (scored a 6 on Practice Test A), but just gotta' keep on practicing!

Ok, here's the story about tests A-D.

Back in the day, there were basically two test prep groups. Kaplan and TPR. These two companies were the dominant force in MCAT prep. Until that is, a group in California designed a program that blew both Kaplan and TPR out of the water. This company was called "Hyperlearning". "Hyperlearning's" stratedgy was to test you and make you practice with materials that were far above the actual MCAT material, that when you actually took the real deal, it would seem easy. The students in California would score two or three points higher than the students with Kaplan or TPR. . So what did TPR do?

They bought out the "Hyperlearning" company in CAlifornia and combined both programs into what is currently "TPR Hyperlearning MCAT Course"

So, TESTS A-D are the original tests designed by the original Hyperlearning company.

Hope that clears things up.

hey everyone, i just joined this forum and i am taking TPR. so far my scores are:

4911: 25 10B/7P/8V
4921: 25 9B/9P/7V
4931: 29 10B/10P/9V

anyone else taking the mcat at Chapman University in orange county?

Test 5R was rough on me. I was expecting it to be easier. It certainly didn't seem that way. This was my first diag taken with the class. It is certainly a different experience taking it with 100 other people instead of an empty library. I got hung up on a couple questions on both PS and BS because I couldn't let myself skip them. I knew I could get the answer, but I wasted about 5-7 minutes on several single questions. I was forced to guess on the last PS section, but most were educated guesses. We have had waves yet, so I figured that would be a good time to guess. There was a bunch of acid base stuff that I haven't had yet. I expect to be able to do better on 6R. Verbal was tough, but I finished and I think I did well. The Picaso passage was terrible, but the other passage on the two poems sucked also. I had know idea what I just read.

All in all I think I will make my goal on this test of four points higher than my last one. Another two point improvement on 6R and I will be all set. (I can only hope) Good day

How did everyone else do?

JDAD,

I left 5R feeling worse than any other diag. I was so totally dejected, I didn't score it online as soon as I got home. When I finally did, surprise! I jumped 6 points to get a 29!

And yeah, Picasso sucks.

Just took AAMC 7 today. Holy crap, i thought the verbal was supposed to get easier when compared to the real thing!! Anyway, anyone else take it? How did people feel about it?

hey how does 5R verbal compare to the real deal? that picasso passage was convoluted..i would narrow it down to 2 real good choices and just had to guess..ended up missing 3 but i guessed correctly on 3 or 4 of them so that don't really count...

Just thought i'd share some good news and maybe encourage those who feel that their TPR diags may indicate that they may be in some trouble. Fear not my tpr compadres!! Here's a brief run down on my diag scores.

4911: 19 6V 6P 7B
4921: 21 6V 7P 8B
4931: 23 6V 8P 9B
AAMC 7: 30 8V 11P 11B

Yeah Baby!! It felt great breaking the 30 barrier! I felt like chuck yeager or something. So to those who are a little concerned, fear not, just keep working hard and it will come. Everyone's score takes a leap eventually, stay focused my MCAT hopefulls!

Tooth

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

great progress guys. Can someone who wrote practice test 7R post or PM me the writing prompts please? I have to mark the essays out here I haven't received the prompts fromt office, which I believe is closed today.

Thanks!

Hey everybody-

I just finished 4931, and I was very pleased with my progress.

4911: 8P, 9V, 11B - 28
4921: 10P, 8V, 10B - 28
4931: 12P, 11V, 12B - 35

What did everyone else think of 4931? How does it compare to the real MCAT? I'm going to pass out. Good luck with the studying everyone!!

Rick, you did great man! That test was a biatch and from what i hear is much more difficult than the real thing. A definate sign of good things to come.

Tooth

tooth,

i just took 7R yesterday and thought that the verbal has somewhat harder. i improved in physics but bio stayed the same.

Just finished reviewing 5R. Lots of of minor mistakes in PS that need to be corrected. Happy with the verbal and the Bio was done fairly well. Overall, I am happy with my progress.

rick james said:
Hey everybody-

I just finished 4931, and I was very pleased with my progress.

4911: 8P, 9V, 11B - 28
4921: 10P, 8V, 10B - 28
4931: 12P, 11V, 12B - 35

What did everyone else think of 4931? How does it compare to the real MCAT? I'm going to pass out. Good luck with the studying everyone!!

With a 35 on 4931, the sky's the limit. Really. Great job. Take an AAMC asap because those are better indicators of your real scores, but if anything, your AAMC results will be even higher.

Kazema said:
With a 35 on 4931, the sky's the limit. Really. Great job. Take an AAMC asap because those are better indicators of your real scores, but if anything, your AAMC results will be even higher.

His scores don't count. He is already a doctor. Kidding, you make me want to puke Ricky. That is an excellent score on that test. You are really going to mess up the curve in August. I hope you don't get my form.

anyone take 6R? took it this weekend, just wondering what yall thought.

Is anyone able to access the TPR's online student tools? I took TPR last august and I was able to check my scores, answers, etc. I can't find where they are located this time.

Anyone know a solution?

you have to be curently enrolled in the course. all you do is sign in on their website, and there is a big link that takes you to the course tools. if you aren't currently enrolled, you are out of luck

JDAD said:
you have to be curently enrolled in the course. all you do is sign in on their website, and there is a big link that takes you to the course tools. if you aren't currently enrolled, you are out of luck

I am enrolled. I don't see anything though. :confused:

i don't know how to help you, when i sign in, there is a big link right in the middle of the screen that takes me to the online tools.

JDAD said:
i don't know how to help you, when i sign in, there is a big link right in the middle of the screen that takes me to the online tools.

Oh well. Thanks anyway. I was just curious how I did on the diag this saturday. I'll just have to wait until tomorrow.
:D

which one did you take? I took 5R but I am tired of going to class and I am devoting this last three weeks to studying on my own. I will never find out how I did on the WS

jdad what up man
today was a total waste of my time. verbal we just talked about how to relax and stupid stuff like that. are you skipping the rest of the way?

jon0013 said:
jdad what up man
today was a total waste of my time. verbal we just talked about how to relax and stupid stuff like that. are you skipping the rest of the way?

I thought today would be slow and useless. I am not sure if I am going to be skipping every class, but right now, it seems that way. It takes me too long to drive there and back, I can get more done by staying here.

How did 5R go for you? I did well, but I am contributing that to the fact that I remembered a bunch of the questions from last time. How did you do? And did we get the score break downs today?

If you want, we get hook up and study sometime this week or next week. I do think that would be a good idea, but it would work out better for me next week, that way I will be done reviewing and just working on problems. I have having a hard time with the specific gravity questions. Let me know

new score update:

just took the 6r earlier today....so much easier than any of the PR exam i've ever seen. went from a 24 (8,7,9) on 4931 to a 30 (12,7,11) on the 6r. Needless to say, i was quite pleased, if not a little surprsied by the increase. Now, if I could only do something for that pesky verbal, i'd be golden. Just can't seem to get into a 'groove' while taking that section. Any advice (aside from the obvious 'focus and practice')?

anyone know how the 5r and 7r compare to this exam? Prolly gonna take 5 during the week and then 7 next saturday.

good luck to everyone...we're in the home stretch

Congrats on 6R

I just took it today and I feel violated. I dropped a point from 5R, but I feel 6R was much more difficult than 5R.

6R is a good indicator, that's why I'm sad. :(

how did everyone do today on 5R? why is it that i always feel like i got OWNED walking out of a diag... and even more so today after 5R...

but the funny thing is i just scored my test and i got a 35... i'm not complaining but i'm just wondering if this happens to everyone... did you feel like you got owned walking out of the 5R? if this is how i'm gonna be feeling for 3 months till i get my score... it's not gonna be fun... =(

I felt horrible after 5R and 6R. I scored 29 and 32, respectively.

I took that into consideration when I felt like I'd been hit by a Mack truck after the real thing, i.e. I didn't waste a lot of time speculating on how badly I did.

DrJohnSez said:
how did everyone do today on 5R? why is it that i always feel like i got OWNED walking out of a diag... and even more so today after 5R...

but the funny thing is i just scored my test and i got a 35... i'm not complaining but i'm just wondering if this happens to everyone... did you feel like you got owned walking out of the 5R? if this is how i'm gonna be feeling for 3 months till i get my score... it's not gonna be fun... =(

Yes, that's how it always was for me. My estimates for my score on the real thing varied from high 20s to high 30s and I didn't know which I actually got for 60 days :(

I just took 5R yesterday and got a 35 as well.

Even though I did well, I still feel like I need more preparation and am not feeling confident. I dont know what my problem is.

nas, a 30 is totally manageable. i mean, goin up 7 points on the 6r is Huge! mad props on that one. It's obvious that what you've been doing is definitely working....otherwise you wouldn't have had this large of an improvement.

I know what exactly what you mean about the PS and BS sections. Though i attained my goal on the sections (12 and 11), I think that a lot of that was luck and if i took that exam on another day, i could easily have scored much lower. The 'comet' passage in PS was almost all guesswork and i somehow only missed 1. go figure. But, i am just as clueless as you when it comes to verbal. I keep going through EK exams, hitting 8's and 9's, but i still can't muster up anything above a 7 on an actual exam.

DrJohnSez said:

i felt the same way, especially about the verbal and bio sections (physical sci was a lot easier for me). i ended up getting a 33 but i still hope to improve.

On a depressing note, I took Test D, physical sciences last night. I know they're supposed to be harder, but geez! it's like I shouldn't even bother retaking in August. Maybe I've done the best I can do....:(

UNTlabrat said:
On a depressing note, I took Test D, physical sciences last night. I know they're supposed to be harder, but geez! it's like I shouldn't even bother retaking in August. Maybe I've done the best I can do....:(

I hear ya on that one. I just took it today and it was absolutely brutal. Definetly the hardest Diagnostic I've taken (and I've taken about 6-7 TPR Diags, and AAMC 6R so far). I wasn't really expecting to do that great on this but I was just hoping for a 1 or 2 point improvement over Practice Test C, in which I scored a throroughly unimpressive 21 (7P, 6V, 8B). But as soon as I got into the first few passages in PS, I knew the results weren't going to be pretty. And they weren't.

Scored a bloody 15 (6P, 4V, 5B)!!!!!!! :thumbdown:

However, it's been a few hours now, and I've settled down and thoroughly reminded myself that these tests are NOT indicative of the real deal whatsoever. In fact, my score on AAMC 6R last week was a 28 (11P, 8V, 9B). So just don't get bogged down with these tests. Take them and review the answers to gain some insights, but that's it.

I must admit, I'm SO glad I'm finished with all my TPR tests! All I've got left is AAMC 3R and 5R, so those should be significantly easier then what I've been working with for the past month. :thumbup:

UNTlabrat said:

UNTlabrat (btw - I need a nickname for you :D ), you shouldn't even score A-D. They're just for practice, not for worrying. You'll do much better on the retest, not because you're smarter, but because you're focused and know you're ready. I'd put money on you v. MCAT in Vegas, baby :)

MoosePilot said:
UNTlabrat (btw - I need a nickname for you :D ), you shouldn't even score A-D. They're just for practice, not for worrying. You'll do much better on the retest, not because you're smarter, but because you're focused and know you're ready.
Moosie,

thanks! :love: Brainstorm on the nickname, I'm sure you'll find something fitting. You have a year until I won't be "UNT" anymore.

MoosePilot said:
I'd put money on you v. MCAT in Vegas, baby :)
What's the line? :p It's gotta be better than the Rangers winning the World Series :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I took the TPR course for last August's test and so I don't have access to grade my 4911,21,31 tests anymore or get the score conversion. I was wondering if anyone has posted any sort of conversion for these tests. I tried searching for them, but couldn't find it. Any help? :confused:
Thanks in advance, and good luck everyone!! :luck:

Anyone know what the last practice mcat they give us in TPR is? We've got one more this saturday. We've done the TPR ones, then did AAMC 7, now what? I'd like to a practice one tomorrow, but don't know which one to do. I'd hate to end up doing the same one i'll be doing saturday.

Or I could just kill my self esteem and try one of the A-D tests...

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how the TPR verbal workbook tests compare to the AAMC exams? I got a 7 in verbal on AAMC 5R; part of it was not having time to do the Picasso passage at all, which probably could've spared me a point at least.

Anyway, I took the workbook test 3 today under timed conditions, and I used the whole 2/3-Pass system; ended up getting 49/60 on it. Just wondering if the test was just "easier," or if I'm actually starting to improve. I'm not sure what it was; I guess being more relaxed, and really not wasting time on any one question for too long (I still skipped 1 passage though, or at least kinda guessed my way through it).

Thanks~

P.S. I'm not referring to test C (in the A-D WB); just the regular verbal WB. Btw, has anyone seen a score increase from 5R to 7? TPR was going to give us 6R this upcoming Saturday, but they just got 7 for us apparently. I was wondering if I could still expect some improvement on the last diag. Oh, also, is anyone really even going to do tests A-D? I'm thinking maybe I ought to just do 3R, 4R, and 6R instead (for the last week).

yea, i know exactly how you feel. The TPR workbook is MUCH easier than prolly any exam that you'll see AAMC produce (unfortunately). i've scored a 5,4,7,7 on the diagnostic exams, but ended up with 47/60, 51/60 and 54/60 on the 3 workbook exams i've taken. not really sure what all you can do except keep taking practice exams. i guess i was lucky this morning when i somehow pulled a 10 on the 5r. hopefully i can recreate that luck on the actual thing.