Quantcast

Official TPR August 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I did a search on previous threads like this and it seems like a good idea. Everyone taking the TPR course for the August MCAT or anyone who have experience with TPR please don't be afraid to post. I need all the help I can get. So voice your opinions, concerns or questions regarding TPR for this August MCAT.

I took 4911 today as the first official MCAT Diag. I don't know what I got on it but I will post and let people know. I haven't looked at anything for the last two months. I took the practice MCAT that they offered on April 17 (4902) and scored 12p 8v 8b. This was after attempting to prep for April, but I gave it up two weeks before and just drillied physics. I was thrilled about the PS, it just goes to show you that learning the formulas really helps.

Today I took 4911 and I heard the average is usually around 18. If you have taken it let us know how you did.

Keep this thing going.

JD

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ifailedmcat said:
It's weird how you guys are getting the A-D tests. I heard they were insanely hard and a TPR instructor told us we weren't even supposed to get them because they would do more harm than good.

Huh? They're part of the course materials. They don't usually give them out at first, but about midway.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ifailedmcat said:
Yea I know, the instructor told us in some places they don't even give them out
:confused:. I guess he didn't know what he was talking about.

If they act like they won't give them out and you want them, talk to your course director and ask for them directly.

I didn't use them. I was burned out on practice tests by the time the real thing rolled around. I love standardized tests, but practice tests are like kissing your sister, especially because there was this grim silence from 60% of the folks in my class when the scores would come back.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ifailedmcat said:
Yea I know, the instructor told us in some places they don't even give them out
:confused:. I guess he didn't know what he was talking about.

We had a sub once and she told us to ask for them if we wanted extra materials. So someone asked and they gave them to us. But like I said I never touched em. A good way to do them might be to treat them as practice problems instead of a practice test (ie don't score it). That way you get the extra practice without the blow to your confidence :D .

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i asked the director and she gave me a little warning. she says its just full of "killer passages" so do nt take them unless you have 10+ in the subjects otherwise your confidence will get killed....and to do them as practice, not take the whole thing at once..apparently it really is a b*tch

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just took PR Diag 4941 today. However, the answers aren't on the TPR website. Does anyone know where I could get them, so I don't have to wait 2 weeks for our teacher to send them off? Did anyone else take 4941? The PS seemed harder than usual to me and BS easier.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
eiiza6eth said:
We just took PR Diag 4941 today. However, the answers aren't on the TPR website. Does anyone know where I could get them, so I don't have to wait 2 weeks for our teacher to send them off? Did anyone else take 4941? The PS seemed harder than usual to me and BS easier.

I think we stopped with 4931, although I could be mistaken. Do you mean there's not an option on their website to input your answers and get a score?

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right, no option for inputting answers for test 4941. I don't think many people take 4941 since no one has talked about it. Our teacher is giving us 6 diags instead of the 5 scheduled, and today was 4941. He has all the way thru 4961, but he will probably give us 5R and 6R as our last two. What's weird, is the way he was talking, it sounded like he didn't have 6R in his possession to give us at first. He talked like he was going to go buy it from AAMC.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
eiiza6eth said:
Right, no option for inputting answers for test 4941. I don't think many people take 4941 since no one has talked about it. Our teacher is giving us 6 diags instead of the 5 scheduled, and today was 4941. He has all the way thru 4961, but he will probably give us 5R and 6R as our last two. What's weird, is the way he was talking, it sounded like he didn't have 6R in his possession to give us at first. He talked like he was going to go buy it from AAMC.

Sounds like you might be more isolated that most classes? Maybe your teacher has to order more tests for each class if they don't keep them stocked. I'd call the teacher and see if he has a answer key so you don't have to wait 2 weeks.

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My TPR class said our last test is going to be 7R which AAMC just released in paper format.

Any of yall hear the same?

I feel this is a good thing as its most recent.

bloHaZaRd

Unbanned
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
blebl34 said:
My TPR class said our last test is going to be 7R which AAMC just released in paper format.

That would be awesome if true :) I was planning on getting that exam.

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
blebl34 said:

I wonder why some teachers have access to 7R, when others, like mine, didn't even have access to 6R, much less 7. When are yall taking 7R? The Saturday before the MCAT or some other time?

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeh, 7R is scheduled for Sat before the real deal. I received an email from our director confirming this. (Baton Rouge, LA in case anyones interested)

Members don't see this ad :)

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "7R"

There is only "7"

Seven is a brand new test, there is no need to have the R behind it because it hasn't been revised, nor will it ever for a long time.

Just a little pet peeve. Good luck to everyone, I took 4931 today, we will see what happens.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got scared and I scored 4931 online instead of waiting for my scores on monday. Test breakdown so far:

4911 -(May 29th) 6P, 7V, 10B (first test - but I did study a little)
4921 -(July 10th) 7P, 8V, 10B - I wasted the first month - vacations and birthdays
4931 -(July 17th) 9P, 9V, 10B - Studied hard this week and improved 3pts

I am excited about taking the AAMC tests over the next three weeks, but I am really behind in my homework. (I am talking over 100 passages total) So that is my goal this week. Catch up and be ready for 5R.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDAD said:
4931 -(July 17th) 9P, 9V, 10B - Studied hard this week and improved 3pts

I am excited about taking the AAMC tests over the next three weeks, but I am really behind in my homework. (I am talking over 100 passages total) So that is my goal this week. Catch up and be ready for 5R.

Good job so far! Kick butt on 5R, you're in striking position for a very solid score if you keep up the effort. :luck:

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:
Good job so far! Kick butt on 5R, you're in striking position for a very solid score if you keep up the effort. :luck:

Thanks for the boost of confidence. I decided last week that I really need to get on this. I am happy with this, but at the start of the course I told myself I wanted a 30 on this test, but I didn't give it enough effort the first month at all. (I am sure you can tell by the fact that I am about 100 passages behind.)

I really need a 34+ because I am an international student who wants to stay in the states.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the 3R exam earlier today and was wondering how it compared to the other exams released by AAMC. Unfortunately I only had time to take the Physical and Biological sections, but I did fairly well (compared to my other exams) on those sections (p-10, b-11). my previous exams had the following trends:

TPR 4911: p-7, b-8, v-5
tpr 4921: p-8, b-9, v-4
tpr test A: p-8, b-7, v-7

EK 101 Verbal Practice Exams: 8,7,9,9

ultimately, i'm wondering if i'm actually getting better or i'm just doing well on easier exams, and doing poorly on harder exams, but could really get screwed on the real mcat.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
3R is historically easier than the other exams. but great work nonetheless.

Just remember to include verbal in the rest of your full lengths. You must learn to deal with fatigue. (That could be why your TPR verbal tests are lower than your EK tests.) - but what do I know, I am still an MCAT rookie

blebl34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
i think TPR verbal is a bit more difficult than EK (or maybe im just getting better). my scores are as follows:

TPR 4911 6V
TPR 4921 6V
TPR 4931 8V
AAMC 4R 8V

EK 1-5 in workbook.....7,8,9,9,10 so far

Weird thing is a took the aamc most recently, yet its lower than my EK's

eiiza6eth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of yall are wondering how the real MCAT compares to the TPR diags we've taken so far, here are my experiences:

I took the MCAT in both April and Aug 2003.

I got the same score and same subscores both times. I did not study, however, for the first one at all, and for the second test, I read the EK MCAT Bio book. I didn't really take any practice tests besides the ones in the bio book, and my scores didn't change:

Real MCATs from 2003: 9 PS, 10 V, and 7 BS

The 7 kept me out of med school. Well, that coupled with my lack of clinical experience.

Also, before this TPR class, I took AAMC test IV (I know it wasn't revised) given by our AMSA class, and I got the same score and same subscores as the real thing once again! So I tend to be very very consistent on the real MCAT.

Now for my TPR scores: (Hopefully this will give y'all even more confidence)

4911: 7 PS, 7 V, 8 BS (I thought it was strange how I did better in bio.)

4921: 6 PS 7 V 8 BS (I did overall 5 points lower than the real MCAT that I never studied for.)

4931: 10 PS 9 V 7BS (Now I got the same score as the real MCAT, but the verbal and PS were reversed)

4941: 8 PS 8 V 9BS

We've not taken any AAMC tests b/c, like I said on an earlier post, for some reason my teacher didn't have those. But now he has access to 5 and 6R, and he's giving us 6R this coming Saturday. Hopefully I'll do better than I did on the real MCAT in 2003. My scores on TPR tests were not very consistent with the real MCAT or with each other.

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jdad...u coming to class tomorrow? do we take 5r this weekend? i've been hitting bio hardcore...sometimes i wish we didnt have class everyday im getting kind of sick of them...rather study by myself..
anyhow congrats on ur steady improvement..i made a 29 on the 4931 but only 7 on congrats thanks to 53% accuracy in bio (who knows what happened)..

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will be there tomorrow and for the rest of the month. The class schedules were messed up, but I will be there from now on.

Do you know how others in the class did on 4931?

Don't worry, your bio will come up.

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would venture to say the class avg was prob low 20s (maybe 23 or 24)..lots of people seemed pissed...i havent heard of anyone breaking 30..one of the instructors told me that the avg for 4921 is about a 20 or 21 and the rapid improvement is btw diags 3 and 4 (aamc5)...i'll talk to u in class bout it..

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how the TPR verbal exams in the verbal workbook compare to the actual thing? I just took the 1st practice exam and somehow managed a raw score of 47. anyone know what that might be converted to? i think it's good, considering my 5 and 4 on the first two diagnostic exams, but i guess i just need some validation. (self-confidence has never been my thing, always end up thinking that good stuff that happens for me is just a fluke) thanks

ExplodingBoy

WS Counts!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This forum is really good, it lets me know i might be almost on track to get a 30+ score. What do the veterans think?

4911: 9B 8V 7P
4921: 9B 7V 8P
4931: 10B 10V 8P

The aamc one is this coming saturday, but i'm skipping out to make the 9 hour drive to chicago for warped tour....

Do scores still usually improve after 4931 or is that what you end up getting on the real deal?

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ExplodingBoy said:
This forum is really good, it lets me know i might be almost on track to get a 30+ score. What do the veterans think?

4911: 9B 8V 7P
4921: 9B 7V 8P
4931: 10B 10V 8P

The aamc one is this coming saturday, but i'm skipping out to make the 9 hour drive to chicago for warped tour....

Do scores still usually improve after 4931 or is that what you end up getting on the real deal?

Yes, scores usually improve after 4931.

I can't believe you're skipping one of your diags, though. What is warped tour?

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
jammin06 said:
does anyone know how the TPR verbal exams in the verbal workbook compare to the actual thing? I just took the 1st practice exam and somehow managed a raw score of 47. anyone know what that might be converted to? i think it's good, considering my 5 and 4 on the first two diagnostic exams, but i guess i just need some validation. (self-confidence has never been my thing, always end up thinking that good stuff that happens for me is just a fluke) thanks

The first two exams are easier and the last two are harder. That is what the teacher told us. TPR starts off with easy verbal and then shifts to hard.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:

It is a concert with a whole bunch of kick ass bands. I wish I was going, but alas I am too responsible and nerdy to skip out on a diag. (Besides I have skipped two already)

Moose, any update on your admission problem?

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDAD said:
It is a concert with a whole bunch of kick ass bands. I wish I was going, but alas I am too responsible and nerdy to skip out on a diag. (Besides I have skipped two already)

Moose, any update on your admission problem?

No admission for Moosie. Air Force says Mooses fly airplanes. They told poor Moosie to shut up about med school and get back in the [email protected] cockpit. Moosie is very sad :(

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:
No admission for Moosie. Air Force says Mooses fly airplanes. They told poor Moosie to shut up about med school and get back in the [email protected] cockpit. Moosie is very sad :(
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NO! NO! NO! NO!+pissed+
*labrat throws tantrum*

Moosie, I'm so sorry. :(

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:

!

Sorry Moose, from your posts that I've read it seems like you'd be a great candidate for med school.

But you'll be free to apply next year right?

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ExplodingBoy said:

I think most people score higher on the AAMC tests and the real thing than what they get on the 4931. I jumped 5 points between 4931 and 5R.

So you seem to be on track to getting a 30+.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNTlabrat said:
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NO! NO! NO! NO!+pissed+
*labrat throws tantrum*

Moosie, I'm so sorry. :(

Thanks for caring, you're great friend! :love:

Kazema, I appreciate your words, too.

Realistically, I knew there was a good chance of this. The good thing is the TPR class really was incredible and I've got three years of applications in this MCAT. This is one down, but the probability is much higher my request will be improved next year and it's my choice the year after that.

All of you who are still studying for the MCAT, keep it up. TPR rocks and you'll do great. Good luck all in the app process and I'll stick around. This just means I'll be around more until the Air Force comes to their senses.

BTW there were several more smileys in this, I had to edit them because of site limits [text smiley here]

ExplodingBoy

WS Counts!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MoosePilot said:

Yeah, it'll be my only 'outing' besides work and TPR class all summer...

My boss is giving me the two weeks leading up to August 14th off, so i'm planning on banging off aamc 3r-7,TPR A-D and 2 Kaplans in those 14 days leading up to it. I'll give myself the 13th off. =)

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nas23, I thought it was about the same as the others. I hit a plateau and got the same score on 2 and 3, but I did better on 2 than most of the class. I bet if you've been studying you'll see at least some improvement. Don't be upset either way, wait until 4 to worry (but not to study!) :laugh:

premedgeek

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Free TPR diag online is same as one of the diag offered in class? if so which one?

I wanna take some TPR verbal, since i hear that it closely relate to real verbal on MCAT.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you even get a scaled score for that TPR diag online? I took the thing a while ago and couldn't find out my score, only the raw score. It's the damndest thing. Anyone know about that?

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are able to access your account online, you can score it online and it will give you a breakdown, like the aamc breakdown, and a scaled score. BUT, I can't find a score conversion chart anywhere, you have to score it and then it will tell you.

Shrike

Lanius examinatianus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNTlabrat said:
I doubt anyone does ALL the homework; I didn't even attend ALL the classes b/c of my hectic schedule.

I have a few whom I believe when they tell me they do everything. Quite a few do all the VR work, and hunger for more. The great majority do not finish it all. Pity.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDAD said:
If you are able to access your account online, you can score it online and it will give you a breakdown, like the aamc breakdown, and a scaled score. BUT, I can't find a score conversion chart anywhere, you have to score it and then it will tell you.

Was this directed towards my question? I can't figure out how to turn my raw score into a scaled score. I think I already did score it online. I just went back and looked at it and there were 65 verbal questions, so it looks like they haven't updated it in a while. Probably just can't convert it.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Shrike said:
I have a few whom I believe when they tell me they do everything. Quite a few do all the VR work, and hunger for more. The great majority do not finish it all. Pity.

This makes me feel sad. I am over 100 passages behind. At about 12 minutes a passage, (this includes review time), it is going to take me 20 hours of additional time to make up. I made up about 20 of them yesterday, but then I had about 12 more added due to class. I am in big trouble.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
willthatsall said:
Was this directed towards my question? I can't figure out how to turn my raw score into a scaled score. I think I already did score it online.

Yes, if you alread scored it online, go back into the course webpage and click on "score your test" then click on "review my scores" you should be able to click on the test you took and look at your scaled score and score breakdown.

A

Assembler

JDAD said:
This makes me feel sad. I am over 100 passages behind. At about 12 minutes a passage, (this includes review time), it is going to take me 20 hours of additional time to make up. I made up about 20 of them yesterday, but then I had about 12 more added due to class. I am in big trouble.

I know what you mean. I'm behind in about 5 days of material or so, and I've been desperately trying to catch up since last week (but obviously it doesn't help, when you keep getting more new material every day!). Actually, I started skipping class now. I guess a) I'll either get more sleep (not bad) or b) get more work done.

Seriously, I don't know how many people actually finish all of these materials. I feel like a machine going through all the review books, then the workbook, then back to the review books, etc. lol. Oh well. Maybe it will all pay off. I'm going to try and finish everything. Except maybe the in-class compendium. I'll probably reserve that for the last week.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree, I am going to attempt to finish everything, but I am not going to worry about the ICC stuff unless I am just dominating everything else. As for test 4R and break they up into sections prior to the real deal. It is good to practice on the real stuff.

SensesFail

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just made a 19 (7P,6V,6B) on Practice Test A.

Three months of studying, a lot of late nights with coffee, and a whole lot of nothing.

Depressed. :(

N-toxicologist

the accidental tourist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDAD said:
Hey, don't be sad. I didn't finish all my homework in April, and only did 1 of the practice tests. So I have (had) about 20% of the homework left in various subjects (I barely touched bio). I only have 1 more verbal test (which I'm saving). This has helped me study immensely this time around, and I've done two more practice tests (saving D for this week). Next week I'll do 7R and the last verbal test. :thumbup:

With everything that I had going on in April (besides MCAT), I was proud to get done what I did. Good luck! :luck:

jon0013

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've done the majority of homework..problem is i dont spend much time reading why i got them wrong..i just read it once..big mistake...jdad have you hit A-D yet? i'll still have those, the 3 other tests TPR offers and 7R to do..not to mention the test EK gives when you buy their books..btw how is that EK test for anyone whose taken it...im holding off on A-D...my confidence is kinda fragile right now and i dont want to kill it..at least not yet...what made the physical sciences section tough on test A? is it a problem where you know the equations/formulas but need more to solve the problem? or do they ask you lots of qualitative/theoretical questions..