*** Official TUCOM-NV Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ouch OMWT...

you dropped us like a bad habit...could that big avatar yell that you left us any more?!? :smuggrin: :p

we will miss ya though!

Members don't see this ad.

HopperAZ said:
Hello All!

I just received an acceptance to Touro - Nevada in the mail yesterday! Class of 2005 here I come! (notified by email last Friday)

I have been reading the SDN message boards for some time now, but just signed up for an account today. My google groups account is still pending, but I hope to start getting caught up and posting there soon.

My elation and excitement at finally receiving an acceptance is starting to settle in, but is gradually being replaced by the sheer panic of realizing how much I have to do in the next couple of months.

I will obviously be sending in my deposit, and the other person that was accepted in my email will be accepting also. So for those who are counting, add two to the class size.

I congratulate you, and cannot wait to meet you!
Try to focus and write a list of things you need to do before you come here.
Like moving expenses, when are you going to move, where you want to live, your financial aid/scholarship funds, etc. With good planning and organization, you should have a nice and smooth transition in Henderson, NV.

Members don't see this ad :)
medicine1 said:
I hope everyone is staying nice and cool indoors, or with the air conditioning on here in Vegas and Henderson, Nevada!!!

This heat is killer. I guess we are already reaching record highs!

The heat is killer in Davis too, but I know Henderson is hotter. Might as well get used to it and stop complaining. :rolleyes:

I wish there was a smilie for heat exhaustion.

1hotaartichoke said:
ouch OMWT...

you dropped us like a bad habit...could that big avatar yell that you left us any more?!? :smuggrin: :p

we will miss ya though!
You know how important location was for me, Touro was far from a bad habit! I will genuinly miss you guys but I'll make sure to visit when time allows. ;) If I were you, I'd move there a month earlier and hang out at the Mandalay Bay pool for a few weeks sippin on some frozen drinks... :cool: Enjoy Vegas for me too!

DoctorRama said:
The heat is killer in Davis too, but I know Henderson is hotter. Might as well get used to it and stop complaining. :rolleyes:

Once I have become acclimatized, I will stop complaining.

medicine1 said:
Once I have become acclimatized, I will stop complaining.

Actually, I meant that I should stop complaining, haha. ;)

medicine1 said:
I congratulate you, and cannot wait to meet you!
Try to focus and write a list of things you need to do before you come here.
Like moving expenses, when are you going to move, where you want to live, your financial aid/scholarship funds, etc. With good planning and organization, you should have a nice and smooth transition in Henderson, NV.

Good advice! :thumbup:

I have already started planning and taking the steps to ensure a successful transition to medical school. I can't wait to meet everyone, and it sounds like this is going to be a great class!

Still waiting for my google groups membership.

HopperAZ said:
Good advice! :thumbup:

I have already started planning and taking the steps to ensure a successful transition to medical school. I can't wait to meet everyone, and it sounds like this is going to be a great class!

Still waiting for my google groups membership.

Congrats HopperAZ! Can't wait to meet you either! :D

Oh yeah, I lived in Mesa, Arizona for a few years when I was a kid. Just noticed that near your screen name, so I thought I would mention it. :)

My apartment was supposed to be ready May 6, but it turned out that the apartment wasn't even ready. The carpet had not been changed, and there were a lot of problems with the apartment. Make sure you find the right apartment, and make sure that everything is in place before you bring a rental truck. My wife and I had to stay in the model apartment for a few days. That gave us enough time to decide that we wanted a different apartment. It took almost five days to get settled. I then went back to my home town, to get all of our stuff packed in a Penske rental. I then drove back to Henderson, NV.

I found out that living downstairs is much better because you will save on your utilities bill. My apartment stays nice and cool, without the air conditioning. I use the air conditioner maybe once or twice during the day between fifteen to thirty minutes max.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice, medicine1! I'll be sure to keep all that in mind when I buy a place and move in.

medicine1 said:
My apartment was supposed to be ready May 6, but it turned out that the apartment wasn't even ready. The carpet had not been changed, and there were a lot of problems with the apartment. Make sure you find the right apartment, and make sure that everything is in place before you bring a rental truck. My wife and I had to stay in the model apartment for a few days. That gave us enough time to decide that we wanted a different apartment. It took almost five days to get settled. I then went back to my home town, to get all of our stuff packed in a Penske rental. I then drove back to Henderson, NV.

I found out that living downstairs is much better because you will save on your utilities bill. My apartment stays nice and cool, without the air conditioning. I use the air conditioner maybe once or twice during the day between fifteen to thirty minutes max.

I am glad you posted this story... I was going to ask you if I could post it on our google site. Just trying to save our other classmates from some headaches. :thumbup:

The very person who started this thread will no longer be with us this coming year.... Well I wish OnMyWayThere a lot of luck and Success!
:luck:

DoctorRama said:
Oh yeah, I lived in Mesa, Arizona for a few years when I was a kid. Just noticed that near your screen name, so I thought I would mention it. :)

I am originally from Iowa, but I call Mesa home now.

What is the climate like in Mesa?

Oh by the way, I wanted to list some helpful phone numbers for Henderson, Nevada:

Utilities:
Nevada Power 1-702-367-5555
Southwest gas 1-702-365-1555
Sprint Telephone (local/long distance/DSL) 1-702-244-7400
Nevada Telephone 1-702-648-1863
Cox Cable (cable/internet) 1-702-944-4244

State of Nevada:
Dept of motor vehicle 1-702-486-4368

Education:
Clark County School District 1-702-799-5011
UNLV 895-3011
Southern NV Comm. College 651-4000
Library 382-3493
Kesterson Elementary 799-6300
Thurman White Middle School 799-0777
Foot Hills High School 799-3500

medicine1 said:
What is the climate like in Mesa?
MESA:
Currently: 92 degrees, 24% humidity, mostly sunny
Yesterday: high 104, low 77

Henderson
Currently: 100 degrees, 8% humidity, sunny
Yesterday: high 104, low 73

The weather in Mesa is probably very similar to what we will have in Henderson.

Summer months of May and June are usually hot and dry, which is ok because as soon as the sun goes down, it cools off (from the 100-110s). When it is really dry 80-90 degrees at night actually feels very comfortable. However, July - September and sometimes into October are hot and humid. Not exactly deep south humid, but humid enough to make 100 - 110 pretty miserable :scared: . Due to the humidity, the temperatures don't usually get as high as the earlier part of summer, but it definately feels hotter. July and August are 'Monsoon' season in Arizona (and I assume Nevada also). Higher humidty and lots of afternoon and evening dust storms and lightning. After usually about 90 days without rain, the storms are a welcome change. The downside is they are short lived and as soon as the sun comes back out = ick. People tend to do more early morning and evening activities due to the heat. You get used to it pretty fast, but if you travel anywhere during the winter, you find that 50-60 degrees feels like an arctic blast. Oh and by the way, it is mandatory that everyone forget how to drive after the first 3 raindrops hit the pavement :D . Late fall, winter, and spring are awesome and make enduring the summers worth it. I have lived here for 14 years, and the real beauty is you don't have to shovel sunshine :D . Oh, and it is going to sound wierd when the weather on the news states the 'the next few days are going to bring a cooling trend, down to about 112 degrees' :smuggrin:

Also, thanks for the local contact numbers.

Wow, sounds like Mesa has a rough summer too. I got to hear Nate Tennenbalm speak last weekend (he is the channel 13? weather man) and he talked about "Monsoon" season. I thought he was talking about Florida, but I suppose the desert has its "rainy" season in July and August. This is a big difference from living in California. The rain stops around mid May and you don't get a drop again until September or November. The other thing that trips me out is the heat... in Cali our highest temps may climb to 100 for a few days in August... it has been over 102 every day for the past week here in Henderson... and they tell me this is only Spring :eek:

BTW, have any luck getting on our google list HopperAZ?

In New Mexico there is a nice Monsoon Season. It begins in mid-July and ends late September. The humidity is about 15% and the temperature ranges from the mid to low 90s in the summer to the low 30s in the Winter.
Even during the Summer months, when the temperature is in the 90s, the air still feels cool and benign. Here in Henderson, once you are exposed to the air, it is like opening an oven. And the heat shrouds every inch of your body in a matter of seconds.

It will be really nice to have a workout gym and basketball court at our school!

I walked by the school today, and it looks like the MERIN (Medical Education and Research Institute of Nevada) suite is complete. Does anybody know whether or not it has been completed yet?

medicine1 said:
It will be really nice to have a workout gym and basketball court at our school!

I walked by the school today, and it looks like the MERIN (Medical Education and Research Institute of Nevada) suite is complete. Does anybody know whether or not it has been completed yet?

MERIN is up and running as is the basketball court (only one hoop is available for use)... the gym is basically equipmentless, but will be up and running come august...

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

ez073323 said:
MERIN is up and running as is the basketball court (only one hoop is available for use)... the gym is basically equipmentless, but will be up and running come august...

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

When I interviewed a couple of weeks ago, the gym was done except that they needed to add 'holes' to the floor for a volleyball setup. The gym was complete as far as being a room with flooring, walls, lights, doors etc. but nothing in the room, yet.

Brian! You're the one from UC Davis, right...? :)

I hope everyone has an awesome summer! :thumbup:

bumping us up again. :D

Back on top! :D

Another great thing about living in Las Vegas... we are only three hours from Rachel, NV. For all who don't know... thats the city next to Groom Lake a.k.a. Area 51. :scared:

Also some amazing things going on at MARIN :thumbup:

What's in Rachel??

DrB said:

Another great thing about living in Las Vegas... we are only three hours from Rachel, NV. For all who don't know... thats the city next to Groom Lake a.k.a. Area 51. :scared:

Whats in Rachel! Whats in Rachel?!!! :eek:

Well its only the UFO capitol of the world ;)

It is along the "E.T. Highway"

http://rachel.dreamlandresort.com/

"Population: Humans 98, aliens ???"

DrB said:

Just a note, it's MERIN not MARIN. Yes, it is pretty cool. We had an anatomy lecture which was basically sitting in on a knee replacement procedure. The plasma TVs are really cool.

oops! Thats right, MERIN! I was thinking wine country :rolleyes:

hey guys...
i still need roommates...

if anyone (guy or girl) needs a roommate...please pm me. :D

1hotaartichoke said:
hey guys...
i still need roommates...

if anyone (guy or girl) needs a roommate...please pm me. :D

Hey do any of you know whether any of the waitlisted people were notified of acceptance yet?

My friend is applying there and she really wants to go to Vegas... personally, I'm into snow and more snow, but she loves Touro.

Roger asked me to pass this along in anyway i can to reach our class.

Hi to all!

This is a test message to find out how many correct/incorrect email addresses are on this listserve.

I have asked (insert my name here) to resend this message to all students through all possible message boards.

If you receive this message through a message from (insert my name here) please email me back with the incorrect and correct email address that I should be using.

If you have received this email and you should not be receiving my emails any longer, please let me know.

And lastly, if your email is correct and you just want to email me back and say hi, that would be very nice and wonderful.

Thank you and have a nice day. See you on August 8, 2005 if not sooner.

Roger Corbman
Director of Admissions
Touro University - Nevada
874 American Pacific Drive
Henderson, Nevada 89014

Tick Tock Tick Tock

:idea:

August is on its way!

Thanks DoctorRama for bumping us back to life. Soon an "official TUCOM-NV Class of 2010" thread will take this one's place.

DrB said:
Tick Tock Tick Tock

:idea:

August is on its way!

Thanks DoctorRama for bumping us back to life. Soon an "official TUCOM-NV Class of 2010" thread will take this one's place.

gawd i hope i am on there.

Anyone heard if the waitlist is moving yet? :luck:

Hey they moved our thread! :eek:

Sorry Marianne11 have not heard a word. You would think that it would start moving now?

Good luck to you! Sending a message your way...

Marianne11 said:
Anyone heard if the waitlist is moving yet? :luck:

Heard there was one opening that would be going to the waitlist. :thumbup:

Hey all,

I'm the guy they pulled off the wait list a few weeks ago (sorry to the other wait listers). Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Anyone in AZ?

--matt

Hi Kubed welcome and congrats!

(soon you will have to join us on the google list serve... where we can use real names and send private info)

-B

DrB said:
Hi Kubed welcome and congrats!

(soon you will have to join us on the google list serve... where we can use real names and send private info)

-B

Thanks,

I just submitted for the Google group and I'm waiting to be approved. I'll be in Vegas this week until Thursday if anyone wants to meet up

--matt

Kubed said:
Hey all,

I'm the guy they pulled off the wait list a few weeks ago (sorry to the other wait listers). Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Anyone in AZ?

--matt
Congratulations Matt! Welcome to the group!

Hey you guys. Just wanted to say good luck in the coming year. TUNCOM is definetly an experience, in every sense of the word! Enjoy the kosher vending machine in the "commons". Hopefully there will be enough study space for you all, the PAs, the PTs, the OTs and everyone else that's going to be coming aboard this fall. Be prepared for a "special" parking situation. I know things will work out fine, though, they always do. Definetly look into the ortho center happening at TUNCOM (MIRAN, I think), very cool stuff. You'll have great profs in Drs. Miller, Wells, Leppi (TOTAL anatomy sweetheart!), Kalekas (quite fetching and knowledgable head of the clinical dept, local DO in the area), humorous Drs. McMurrin (doctor Mac), etc. You'll all experience Dr. Ma (anatomy teacher, of sorts) first hand soon. Enjoy those embryo lectures from him - they're top notch! Matter of fact, you'll have a whole year to enjoy him, so have fun! I'll be checking back to this thread after your first exam to see what you all think...

just glad I'm not there with you.

:)

In all seriousness, work hard, play hard, and count the days until it's over. It's a means to an end, never forget that.

And I can't return to answer niggling questions about what I've posted. None of us had any idea what we were getting into, either. It's part of the TUNCOM mystique.

Kubed said:
Hey all,

--matt

Welcome and congratulations Matt!!

There are several of us from Arizona. See ya on google.