*** Official TUCOM-NV Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is a great idea Marianne... I've still got my fingers crossed for you hoping you get in. The letter of intent will hopefully help :thumbup: If so, you should definately implement that email deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone think Touro University-Nevada will develop Student Housing in the near future?

:) I am also curious to know if anyone, from either class of 2008/2009, has been successful in purchasing a house? And if so, what is the going rate per month?
Thanks!

medicine1 said:
Does anyone think Touro University-Nevada will develop Student Housing in the near future?

:) I am also curious to know if anyone, from either class of 2008/2009, has been successful in purchasing a house? And if so, what is the going rate per month?
Thanks!

I am still working on that, I have the loans, now I am looking for a place. I have found that condos are the way to go. As for the development of student housing, I don't think this will happen any time soon/ever. TUN's location was picked because of the "affordable" housing in the area.

If you are interested in buying, try eloans.com, lendingtree.com, ditech.com
Then look at the many sites for resale homes: reviewjournal.com, homestore.com, craigslist.org

For my own $0.02 I think renting is the best idea in your situation. Then try apartments.com, reviewjournal.com, and craigslist.org

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to wish the class of 2008 good luck with their upcoming block exams... Not that any of you should see this given you should have your noses in the books studying... ;)

I am intersted to know what kinds of electives we will have at TUCOM-Nevada.

Here is the list of Electives at TUCOM-CA:

ELECTIVE COURSES

Human Growth and Variation(elective - 1 credit hour)
In this seminar-discussion course, the biological and behavioral foundations of human growth and variation are considered: what is normal, abnormal, common to all people or exclusive to certain groups? How does the body grow from birth to adulthood and what genetic, environmental, and cultural factors influence the outcome? Clinical conditions related to the growth process and congenital diseases that reflect the recent histories of ethnic groups are discussed. Modern human ethnic or "racial" variation is considered as it relates to models for global dispersion and colonization. The course also considers behavioral aspects of culture, such as diet, nutrition, and activity levels as they relate to the spectrum of clinical problems in our society.

Summer Clinical Preceptorship(elective - 0.5 - 1 credit hour)
This class is intended to provide students with the opportunity to apply basic science knowledge in a clinical setting during an otherwise non-academic time; i.e., between the first and second years. Students will, with approval of the course coordinator, work with a faculty member of TUCOM, a clinician at another institution, or a licensed physician in the community, in order to observe medical practice in an area of medicine and a clinical setting of their choice.

Special Topics in Medical Ethics(elective - 1 credit hour)
Physicians in all fields of medicine are frequently faced with difficult decisions that they must make or assist their patients in making. This course will: consider the underlying structure and means of ethical decision-making; identify resources for working through difficult ethical decisions; examine several important ethical dilemmas facing physicians today, and facilitate the student's gaining insight into his/her own ethical principles and ideals. Among the general topics that may be included are: ethics and patient care; ethics and research; ethics and new technology.

Medical Spanish (elective - 1 credit hour)
The overall objective of this course, which is intended to be a beginner's course, is to help the student to determine the chief complaint of the Spanish-speaking patient, provide basic medical instructions, obtain information about the patient, and answer the patient's most common questions. These objectives will be achieved through teaching of Spanish medical terminology, colloquial words and phrases, and some basic grammar, as well as through practice sessions in conducting histories and physicals in Spanish.

Pregnancy Partners(elective - 1 credit hour)
This program is designed to allow students without extensive clinical training (first-year students) to observe and act as advocates in the prenatal care, labor, and delivery of a prospective mother. The prospective mothers are clients of "Great Beginnings Prenatal Services" operated through Sutter-Solano Medical Center in Vallejo, CA. In the program a TUCOM student is matched with a prospective mother, attends all prenatal office visits, and is present during labor and delivery, as well as for the first postpartum office visit. The student will observe the relationships developed between the prospective mother and her health care providers and the protocol of the labor and delivery rooms. The student will act as an advocate only, e.g., encouraging the prospective mother to ask any questions she might have at her office visits, reminding her of her visits, but never dispensing medical advice. The course will also include lectures on a variety of topics related to maternal and fetal health.

Brian, DrB, anybody who has pictures, please help me post some pictures of our school!

Attachments

• TUCOM anatomy.bmp
    42.1 KB · Views: 141
  • President of AOA visits TUCOM-Nevada.bmp
    67.6 KB · Views: 119
medicine1 said:
I am intersted to know what kinds of electives we will have at TUCOM-Nevada.

As of today, the current electives are being offered at TUCOM-Nevada:

none

I cannot speculate on what electives may or may not be available in the future.

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

medicine1 said:
Brian, DrB, anybody who has pictures, please help me post some pictures of our school!

this picture is actaully of the Mare Island campus:

TUCOManatomy.bmp

This picture is at the Nevada campus, my classmates Scott, Eric, Brooke, and Guitar are talking to the pres...

PresidentofAOAvisitsTUCOM-Nevada.bmp

And here is a picture I took from the same day... the dean of the school is on the left and Dr. Thomas is on the right... The picture didn't come out so well because as a member of the Touro Breakfast Club, I sit in the back row...

IMG_0092.jpg

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Good luck with block exams next week!

medicine1 here are some pictures i have from the day I tourd the campus with another future classmate.

the atrium:

atrium.jpg

The computer lab:

computerlab.jpg

the unfinished gym:

futuregym.jpg

The histo/micro lab:

histolab.jpg

large lecture hall:

largelecturehall.jpg

Reception area/desk:

lobby.jpg

exam room:

mockexamroom.jpg

small lecture hall:

small_lecturehall.jpg

Thank you for the pictures! They are great! :D

Pictures look great...can't wait to be out there!

Since there is no curve at TUCOM-NV, what happens if everyone performs poorly on a particular test? Also, does anyone know what percentage of students get As, Bs, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Frank51,
You need to stop posting fallacious questions that are illogical, irrelevant, and deceptive. Take your USMLE at an allopathic school, and leave us alone.

Frank51 posted the following:

"I just hope that DO schools understand that students need to spend the majority of their time studying for their science classes, after all many of the more competitive allopathic programs almost require students to take the USMLE, which tests the student’s knowledge with regards to the science courses, not OMM. BTW, at schools where the grading system is A,B, etc. do students receive a grade for OMT? or is it pass/fail?"

Apropos, how on earth would we know how many As,Bs, and Cs the students have in OMM class, or any class for that matter? We don't even start until August 2005. And why are you so worried about OMM? And why do you pose doubts on our performance in OMM class?
Do you really think the COMLEX only tests one's knowledge on OMM?
The COMLEX tests a students overall knoweldge in the basic/clinical sciences, as well as OMM.

Religious Liberty in a Post 9/11 World:
Reflections on George Washington's 1790 Letter
to Touro Synagogue

by Eli N. Evans

Eli N. Evans was the keynote speaker on August 18, 2002 at the annual reading of George Washington's 1790 letter to Touro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island. This article is adapted from the speech.

In just a few weeks, on the anniversary of the September 11th disaster, America will reflect on the meaning of the attack and its lessons for history. In New York City, sensitive to the victims and their families, the Mayor has announced that there will be no speeches by political leaders that day, only readings from the Declaration of Independence and the Gettysburg Address-two of America's sanctified documents. There is another sanctified document that I would nominate for that celebration as well: President George Washington's 1790 letter to Touro Synagogue in Newport, Rhode Island. Though less well known, this message from the Father of our Country summons up the underlying spirit of the times in which our young nation was born, and by which we still live today.

Washington's message resonates powerfully in our post 9/11 world:

The Citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy: a policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of, as if it was by the indulgence of one class of people, that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights. For happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens, in giving it on all occasions their effectual support.

George Washington recognized that the American Revolution was launching a worldwide revolution and the idea of the "natural rights of man" would circle the globe to inspire the hearts and souls of men and women everywhere. He saw toleration not as the "indulgence of one class of people" for others, but owed as an obligation to all.

Washington described a tolerance virtually unique in the world at that time, a tolerance expressed in deeds as well as words. He was inaugurated as the first President of the United States just a few months earlier, on April 30, 1790, at the Federal Hall in New York City, a building even now standing in Lower Manhattan, only a few minutes walk from the plot of land that would eventually become the World Trade Center. And among the invitees was Gershom Mendes Seixas, spiritual leader of Congregation Shearith Israel in New York, generally considered the first American rabbi and one of three clergy invited to participate in the inauguration. Joint participation in such an imposing public setting could not have been imagined in any European city at the time.

One of Washington's first trips as president was his visit to Newport; he traveled there with Thomas Jefferson, as part of the campaign for passage of the Bill of Rights. When he arrived, Washington was handed a letter from Moses Seixas, a member of the New York Seixas family and the warden of Touro Synagogue, which by inference complained about the denial of the vote and the inability to hold office for Jews and Catholics in Rhode Island.

As the proposed Bill of Rights contained the clause "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of a religion or prohibit the free exercise thereof," Washington was able to illustrate that, in America, faith, any faith, was to be a private matter, beyond state interference. In so doing, he fulfilled a political need of the moment, but he also articulated principles that, with a sense of awe and even gratitude, we continue to commemorate today.

Americans in the late eighteenth century, like Americans now, were a people with strong religious beliefs. But as Arthur Hertzberg, distinguished author of The Jews of America, has stated, "the separation of church and state in America asks something very new and quite remarkable, of all religions in America. . . . self-limitation," the kind of voluntary restraint that must be adopted by all majority faiths.

This principle had particular relevance for the Jews who had come to America seeking religious freedom. Here in America, President Washington made clear, Jews were not a religious sect, a minority group merely tolerated by the government and the ruling establishment. Rather, he said emphatically, in America, all people were free to worship as they chose. Indeed, the bedrock value that God is universal and we are all God's children--that no one faith is more true than another-has been, I believe, America's gift to the world. Only through the embrace of religious freedom, religious tolerance, and religious liberty will the peoples of our diverse world find their way to an era of religious coexistence.

Although the September 11 attackers left no written statements explaining their motives, subsequent events have revealed an intent to attack the very idea of America itself--its religious freedoms, its principles, its central purpose. The World Trade Center, like the Pentagon, was a symbolic target, and the New York attack occurred in the shadow of another revered symbol, the Statue of Liberty.

On September 11th, people will come together to listen to our founding documents, and to ponder their meaning for the age we live in and the future we face. The words of those documents - and Washington's words to the Touro Synagogue -- take on new meaning in light of the destruction of dreams and lives in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon a year ago. In the long shadow cast by those events, the Washington letter shines like a beacon and can show us the way.

What a timely message for all Americans to hear: to remember that pluralism, diversity and respect for differences is, in the end, the only way for humanity to survive.

medicine1 said:
Frank51,
You need to stop posting fallacious questions that are illogical, irrelevant, and deceptive. Take your USMLE at an allopathic school, and leave us alone.

Frank51 posted the following:

"I just hope that DO schools understand that students need to spend the majority of their time studying for their science classes, after all many of the more competitive allopathic programs almost require students to take the USMLE, which tests the student’s knowledge with regards to the science courses, not OMM. BTW, at schools where the grading system is A,B, etc. do students receive a grade for OMT? or is it pass/fail?"

Apropos, how on earth would we know how many As,Bs, and Cs the students have in OMM class, or any class for that matter? We don't even start until August 2005. And why are you so worried about OMM? And why do you pose doubts on our performance in OMM class?
Do you really think the COMLEX only tests one's knowledge on OMM?
The COMLEX tests a students overall knoweldge in the basic/clinical sciences, as well as OMM.

Oh! Ok, I’ll go back to my allopathic thread, since you said so...It’s pretty obvious that you either have literacy issues or you just can’t comprehend. So let me explain this to you in the simplest way possible, my question was obviously directed toward those who are already attending Touro/other D.O schools at the present time, so it doesn’t even concern you. Furthermore, I never doubted anyone’s performance in the OMM class, also I never said that the COMLEX covers only OMM, I simply implied that the USMLE (which obviously does not test on OMM) is more important when it comes to applying to competitive allopathic residency programs. Next time, try to comprehend (I know it must be hard for you) what the other person is saying, before you post something that makes you look like an immature pre-med.

Hey buddy, why do you care? In four years we will all be licensed physicians. It has been discussed to nausea the compatibility of the USMLE and the COMLEX. If it worries you so much then take the USMLE and if you would like take the COMLEX. Just because the USMLE doesn't include OMM doesn't mean it is a better test, or is the crown jewel of competitive residency slots. You should take the question back to an allo forum for they will give you the bias answer you seek. Since you posted it here... :smuggrin:

The COMLEX is a much better exam for testing the physician's ability to care for patients.

DrB said:
Hey buddy, why do you care? In four years we will all be licensed physicians. It has been discussed to nausea the compatibility of the USMLE and the COMLEX. If it worries you so much then take the USMLE and if you would like take the COMLEX. Just because the USMLE doesn't include OMM doesn't mean it is a better test, or is the crown jewel of competitive residency slots. You should take the question back to an allo forum for they will give you the bias answer you seek. Since you posted it here... :smuggrin:

Why are you making false inferences and assumptions? Go back and read the my statement, I never said that USMLE is better than COMLEX or vice versa, all I’m saying is that most, if not all the top competitive residency programs prefer or most likely require you to take the USMLE, this is not my opinion, it’s a fact, if you don’t believe me contact the individual programs or ask the DO residents accepted into these programs.

DrB said:
The COMLEX is a much better exam for testing the physician's ability to care for patients.

I’m sure that the above statement is based on your informed opinion, BTW, you’ve taken both USMLE and COMLEX, right?

Maybe you didn't read the title to this thread? It is for the official class of 2009, now you are welcome to post here, but don't expect a warm reply if you question our school's methods. I went back and read your post... your question is "what if everyone performs poorly on a test"? Then we all perform poorly. The system is designed to help us pass. Poor grades reflect back at the school and as such they would work with us to improve them. I am not sure which forum Medicine1 got your other questions. I agree with him they are irrelevant and deceptive. We are all trying to understand where you are going with this Frank, maybe you can elaborate on your questions because it seems we have a miscommunication. And if you decide not to post again... we won't hold it against you.

You’re now changing the subject, the reason for the presence of irrelevant information on this thread is because medicine1 took my question from this thread and posted it on this thread. Like I mentioned before, my questions concerne the students attending Touro at the present time, not you. BTW, you are not the spokesman for this thread so avoid the phrase “we”.

frank51 said:
You’re now changing the subject, the reason for the presence of irrelevant information on this thread is because medicine1 took my question from this thread and posted it on this thread. Like I mentioned before, my questions concerne the students attending Touro at the present time, not you. BTW, you are not the spokesman for this thread so avoid the phrase “we”.
Hey take it easy Frank. You came to the 2009 thread asking questions and tell a 2009 student to not respond? Your questions are very valid, but go start a new thread and title it " Attn Touro-NV c/o 2008" and hold your discussions there. And by the way DrB is one of the spokesman as he is part of class of 2009.. the name of this thread. Capiche?

Why are ya'll so stressed? Just wait till you take Neuro next year and need to cover 1000 powerpoint slides in 36 hours! Now that's good times.

You guys need to relax and enjoy your free time before the sh1t hits the fan next year.

:)

Actual MS-1 TUNCOM

Elysium said:
Why are ya'll so stressed? Just wait till you take Neuro next year and need to cover 1000 powerpoint slides in 36 hours! Now that's good times.

You guys need to relax and enjoy your free time before the sh1t hits the fan next year.

Actual MS-1 TUNCOM
I agree people chill out! :horns:

Elysium said:

Actual MS-1 TUNCOM

HERE...HERE... Tiff

Frank if you have questions that apply to the class of 08 contact us, not the class of 09.

Nathan Neufeld
President
Student Government Association
Touro University Nevada - College of Osteopathic Medicine
Bona fide member of the 2008 Class
[email protected]

Hey Guys,

I just got the e-mail on friday, and I will most definitely be joining all of you in the fall!!! I just can't believe it still. It's so surreal to me. I thought I was going to end up moving to the midwest, but heck, now it's only going to be 4 hours away! I originally had my interview invite sent out on Nov. 29th, but for some reason, it got lost in the mail and out of some strange twist of events I ended up calling them 2 months later to find out I could still visit the place; I was so amazed with the school, and it literally became my #1 choice within 5 minutes of being there. You know how a lot of people tell you that you need to find a school that's the right fit for you? Well, I kinda believed in that to some degree, but I was really worried in the beginning about getting at least one acceptance in the bag and wondering about whether or not I would like the place until afterwards. Totally different experience at NV! The curriculum is great, the school is new and beautiful, the location is awesome, and most importantly, every single person I met from the class of 2008 was so friendly and welcoming! I could tell that's the kind of environment I wanted to be in for the next four years.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting each and everyone of you! I'll probably be joining the Google Group real soon, and my family and I are thinking about heading on a trip back to Vegas in the next 1-2 or weeks to go check out the housing. I still have no idea what type of living arrangements I'm going to have, but we'll see soon enough!

PM me or e-mail me or what not. I'd be happy to talk to any one of you! I really do think we should all meet up and have a social get-together sometime before class starts though. It'd be kinda neat knowing who everyone already is on the first day!

LVDoc said:
Hey Guys,

I just got the e-mail on friday, and I will most definitely be joining all of you in the fall!!! I just can't believe it still. It's so surreal to me. I thought I was going to end up moving to the midwest, but heck, now it's only going to be 4 hours away! I originally had my interview invite sent out on Nov. 29th, but for some reason, it got lost in the mail and out of some strange twist of events I ended up calling them 2 months later to find out I could still visit the place; I was so amazed with the school, and it literally became my #1 choice within 5 minutes of being there. You know how a lot of people tell you that you need to find a school that's the right fit for you? Well, I kinda believed in that to some degree, but I was really worried in the beginning about getting at least one acceptance in the bag and wondering about whether or not I would like the place until afterwards. Totally different experience at NV! The curriculum is great, the school is new and beautiful, the location is awesome, and most importantly, every single person I met from the class of 2008 was so friendly and welcoming! I could tell that's the kind of environment I wanted to be in for the next four years.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting each and everyone of you! I'll probably be joining the Google Group real soon, and my family and I are thinking about heading on a trip back to Vegas in the next 1-2 or weeks to go check out the housing. I still have no idea what type of living arrangements I'm going to have, but we'll see soon enough!

PM me or e-mail me or what not. I'd be happy to talk to any one of you! I really do think we should all meet up and have a social get-together sometime before class starts though. It'd be kinda neat knowing who everyone already is on the first day!

First, Congradulations and Welcome!!!!!!! Always good to meet another classmate.

Next: We are planning a get-together the weekend of april 1st.

I will PM you everything else. :)

hey guys! my name is heather and i am so excited to be joining all of you in the fall. i visited touro last month and absolutely loved it. everyone is so nice and the school is amazing. i would love to meet all of you so if you all are gonna meet in april let me know and i will be more then happy to go!
way to go everyone in tucom class of 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LVDoc and Heather... many congratulations to both of you. Very glad to meet you.

Congrats and warm welcome! Hope to see LVDoc and Heather in April!

We will see you at the other forums!

:) :)

I can tell we are going to have an awesome class!!

asugammagrl said:
hey guys! my name is heather and i am so excited to be joining all of you in the fall. i visited touro last month and absolutely loved it. everyone is so nice and the school is amazing. i would love to meet all of you so if you all are gonna meet in april let me know and i will be more then happy to go!
way to go everyone in tucom class of 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congradulations!

we are meeting in april. the first weekend (april 1-3 or something) and we look forward to your joining us!

Hey everyone,

Thanks once again for the many congrats! I'm looking forward to talking with and meeting all of you one of these days (hopefully April if I can get my plans sorted out!). In the meanwhile though, I'll definitely be seeing you at the other forums :thumbup:

-Shaun

P.S. Congrats Heather!

I read on a recent thread that some people were unclear on Nevada's malpractice situation. Here is a thread from a few months ago about what's being done to stop this problem in Nevada.

hey everyone! thank you for being so welcoming! i am so excited to meet each and everyone of you. it sounds like we have a great class. i do not know if i can make it on april 1st cuz ironically enough that is the weekend that my mom is coming in from virginia to visit. i will try to see what i can do though. CONGRATULATIONS LVDoc!!!!!!

Those are some very competitive residency programs. I would love to know how you answered some of those questions. I got 1. Hematology 2.Nephrology 3. General Surgery 4. Ob/GYN 5. Nuclear Med 6. Neurosurgery...
I am not sure how close these really are to one another in aptitude. ;)

medicine1 said:
Those are some very competitive residency programs. I would love to know how you answered some of those questions. I got 1. Hematology 2.Nephrology 3. General Surgery 4. Ob/GYN 5. Nuclear Med 6. Neurosurgery...
I am not sure how close these really are to one another in aptitude. ;)

I was thinking about oncology/hematology, and they are #9 & #19. I wonder what I said that would give me those specialties. I thought I answered that I wanted a life outside of medicine and short working hours. J/K. It was interesting though. Anyone know how many have been accepted now? I know one person is giving up their space, I hope I get one in the end. :)

So far 89 students have been enrolled.
11 more to go. :cool:

medicine1 said:
So far 89 students have been enrolled.
11 more to go. :cool:

Wow is that accepted or deposit paid?

I just mailed out my deposit today, so it should be there...tomorrow!

It is deposit paid AND there has been talk of raising the class number to 108 or even 120.... but that is just what I have been told by current students, not by Roger. So take that as you will, it isn't offical (that I know of). We will have to see what shakes out in the end.

TranquilityLove said:
It is deposit paid AND there has been talk of raising the class number to 108 or even 120.... but that is just what I have been told by current students, not by Roger. So take that as you will, we will have to see what shakes out in the end.

Something to be hopeful for then. I have an interview coming up and it would be nice if there was a spot to interview for ;)

I wish you the best of luck! Work hard and strive for excellence!

TranquilityLove said:
It is deposit paid AND there has been talk of raising the class number to 108 or even 120.... but that is just what I have been told by current students, not by Roger. So take that as you will, it isn't offical (that I know of). We will have to see what shakes out in the end.

When I was interviewing, I spoke to Mr. Corbman about this, and he said that ideally although they only want 100 matriculants, they will accept up to 108. I think they have approval from the AOA to do this. I have also heard talks about accepting 120 deposits, with the idea that 12 or so people generally will drop by the time the fall class starts. When I spoke to Dr. Haight at the TUCOM-MI interview, he informed me that it is impossible for them to admit anything over what they are approved for by the AOA (108, in this case), otherwise there would be some serious problems.

Elmer, good luck on your interview. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Be confident and be yourself. It's a very conversational, relaxed atmosphere. Nothing to stress about.

Thanks to you both.