Official UCSD Countdown Thread, former "I'm in, UCSD,.."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hello everyone,
i have also decide that i'll be attending UCSD this fall and i was wondering if there is anybody from SoCal interested in start looking for a place to live. if we can get a couple of people together we can go look for a place.
let me know
thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

I can confirm that there IS waitlist movement, since I just got an acceptance phone call on monday.

Thanks Mol.

I also got a call from Georgetown yesterday (how's that for irony, after tearing my hair out for months waiting to get in ANYwhere I get 2 calls in 2 days), but I'm virtually certain I'll be going to UCSD. I liked everything about that place.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mol, PM'ed you back.

BTW, you really in Trinidad and Tobago like your "Location:" says? I spent 2 summers in Trinidad doing research for a plant physiologist.

Wow, this new forum format is crazy.

On another note, I also got accepted off the waitlist the past Monday!!!!!~ :clap: :D :love: :D :clap:

I was so excited that I started screaming "yes" on the phone before she even asked me about it. well, i can't wait to see you all in september. Now comes the part of finding a roommate and housing. Good luck to all of you who are still waiting - I wish you the best! If you just wait long enough, good things will happen :D.

congrats diogenes & labrynth
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congratulations diogenes and labrynth!!! :clap: I heard the second years are working on putting together a second second look weekend at the end of this month, so if I don't meet you guys this month I look forward to meeting everyone this Sept! :D

Congratulations to all who got off the waitlist!! See you guys in September!

yo diogenes and labrynth, glad you could join us -- congrats!

will be looking forward to your funky/witty philosophies re: life in person, diogenes

and man, is it just me, or are these servers superfast now. wow

Originally posted by Diogenes
I can confirm that there IS waitlist movement, since I just got an acceptance phone call on monday.

Bumping! Have you heard anything yet Hero? I haven't.:( Oh well, here's hoping for the best:) :clap:

Waiting123: I talked to Linda Whitson about chances of getting in and she said that it didn't look very encouraging. :( The class is full and she doesn't expect there to be movement on the waitlist until August (when other med schools start their programs).

Thanks for the info Caligurl. Well, at least she said there might be movement in August. I'm still hoping I can find out before mid august when my school starts!

just a heads up -- got my official financial aid offer letter on wednesday. so call them if you haven't gotten yours:)

man, those financial aid people are farkin generous!! god bless them:D

got a question too -- ne1 know if there is anyway to get more loans over your budget without resorting to budget extensions (like those for additional med/dental expenses or buying acomputer). I know you can't do it with unsub. stafford loans... I probably won't need it, but just an interesting thought, a few k extra would do wonders for my financial peace of mind.

Hi Matthew0126,

I have just read your comment about the UCSD generous financial aid package. I' m just wondering what kind of financial aid package does UCSD give out to students. Thanks

Originally posted by waiting123
Bumping! Have you heard anything yet Hero? I haven't.:( Oh well, here's hoping for the best:) :clap:

Hey waiting123, still no word. I must have sent UCSD at least 4 letters. There's a bit of time left so there's still hope. If things doesn't go well... life goes on.

Hero and Waiting123,

I emailed Linda Whitson on Thursday and she replied immediately saying, "At this time I am not being very encouraging to applicants on the waitlist. We haven't had an opening in the last 3-4 weeks and I really don't expect much activity during August." So I guess life goes on for me.... I'm headed out to the midwest. My orientation starts on the 15th. Good luck to you guys. You still have one more month.... :)

md4real -- Most if it is just based off your financial need (more if you are poor, less if you are rich). There are also a bunch of scholarships (like 20-30 or so) that UCSD gives out each year to its students, so that helps a lot.

caligurl -- good luck at whatever med school you ended up in the midwest:)

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply. I just need more clarification from you. If a med student is really poor, how much does UCI give him in SUBSIDIZED loan? how much in UNsubsidized loan? how much in grants? and how much in scholarships?

Thanks a million

Hi MD4real, sure -- no problem.

Okay, well this is a pretty difficult question to answer because a. each case is different from another, and b. who really knows what the f.a. office does to come up with its numbers -- I only know what I know through experience :)

but some things that may help:

stafford subsidized loans -- the maximum amount (at least for this year) per year is $8500. I'm not sure if there is a baseline income cutoff of whether you qualify for this or not, but basically if you are poor, you will get the whole 8500.

next are the non-scholarship grants -- some people get nothing, some people get a lot, depending on your income. a UCSF f.a. person told me that if you have zero expected family contribution (EFC), you would expect to receive 25-35% in grants -- this seems like it'd be pretty similar throughout the UC's. from my own personal experience, it would seem that UCSD follows suit

scholarships -- extra cherry on top to your package

if you still have unmet need, then you go to unsubsidized loans, that should cover pretty much the rest (there is a limit to how much you can take out, but it is pretty dang high)

there you have it!

peace,
matt