Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ooohhh so that's why that random out of place cubicle was in the middle of the room...i kept wondering why anyone would have their office in the middle of the waiting area :)

it's perfectly fine if she takes her time to get back to me...they deposited my check yesterday so im no longer paranoid that it got lost in the mail! good luck on finals! when will u be done for the holidays?? im sure that u are all looking fwd to the break....

1st years were done on monday and 2nd years finished friday so the campus will prob b empty 4 the next coupla weeks...though we have professionalism and anatomy homework during break and i know more than a few ppl who r coming back early. guess they can't stay away from studying ;)

well, i guess u can de-stress since they've deposited ur check now. hopefully, the others heard good news (wasn't there supposed 2 b a mtg on the 15th?)

Members don't see this ad.

1st years were done on monday and 2nd years finished friday so the campus will prob b empty 4 the next coupla weeks...though we have professionalism and anatomy homework during break and i know more than a few ppl who r coming back early. guess they can't stay away from studying ;)

well, i guess u can de-stress since they've deposited ur check now. hopefully, the others heard good news (wasn't there supposed 2 b a mtg on the 15th?)

yea according to the thread in pre-osteo there was a mtg on friday and they will be notifying people this week. good luck again to everyone waiting!

Hi everyone, I am very excited to be a part of the UMDNJ-SOM class of 2011 :) Looking forward to meeting you all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say hi everyone! I sent my deposit in and am so excited for July to get here.

I just wanted to say hi everyone! I sent my deposit in and am so excited for July to get here.

congrats! I'm excited to meet all of you too!! But I'm also slightly terrified...anyone else a little scared to start classes??

Congratulations!!!:D

congrats! I'm excited to meet all of you too!! But I'm also slightly terrified...anyone else a little scared to start classes??

I am a little nervous also since this will be a big life change for all of us, but I am definitely very excited! :) When I got my acceptance phone call, Paula mentioned that there is a reception in April. I guess this is an accepted students reception to meet everyone?

I'm excited for classes to start! Wish I did not have to wait till august! I'm actually scared something will pop up from now till then that would prohibit me from starting classes. I'm just paranoid. Especially since I still have not received the snail mail welcoming me to the "Class of 2011".

Congratulations!!!:D

I am a little nervous also since this will be a big life change for all of us, but I am definitely very excited! :) When I got my acceptance phone call, Paula mentioned that there is a reception in April. I guess this is an accepted students reception to meet everyone?

yes, they have an accepted students day around april. didn't get 2 go since i got off the WL after that time but i know there is one every yr and that usu the 2nd yrs throw a party on that night as well...and invite the accepted students...i've heard that some accepted students had 2 crash on couches from all the drinking...;)

Hmm, I just noticed there are only 12 weeks of completely free elective time total in years 3 & 4 combined?!! That's not much time at all, is it? Especially if you're looking to do some away 'audition' electives on top of it. Yikes! That makes me nervous.... anyone else?

You have more elective time than that. Starting with 2008, as a fourth year you have 4 pure electives in addition to your core rotations (EM, FP, Cardio or Pulm, and FP specialty), a medicine elective and either a surgical subspecialty or medicine selective. At fourth year rotations are month blocks. Third year is another story. Everyone takes the same rotations in house execpt for rads. Our system is large enought that we can accomodate all of our students hence no away rotations third year.

You have more elective time than that. Starting with 2008, as a fourth year you have 4 pure electives in addition to your core rotations (EM, FP, Cardio or Pulm, and FP specialty), a medicine elective and either a surgical subspecialty or medicine selective. At fourth year rotations are month blocks. Third year is another story. Everyone takes the same rotations in house execpt for rads. Our system is large enought that we can accomodate all of our students hence no away rotations third year.

Are you saying that it will be different to what I got from the handbook? It shows that we would do:

Year 3:
FM-12 weeks
IM-6 weeks
Psych-4 weeks
Peds-6 weeks
OB/GYN-6 weeks
Surgery/Anesthesia-6 weeks
Geriatrics-4 weeks
Radiology-2 weeks
Clinical Skills Orientation-1 week
Medical Jurisprudence-1 week
Vacation-2 weeks
That's 50 weeks - no free electives 3rd year...

Year 4:
Fundamentals of Medicine-4 weeks
COMLEX prep-4 weeks
EM-4 weeks
FP Hospital-4 weeks
FP specialties-2 weeks
FP elective-2 or 6 weeks
Medicine elective-4 weeks
Medicine selectives-4 or 8 weeks
Surgical specialty-0 or 4 weeks
General electives-12 weeks

28-36 weeks taken excluding surgery & general electives, which can be as few as 12 weeks, as much as 16 weeks if you go by this list (though it doesn't add up to 52 weeks).

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying that it will be different to what I got from the handbook? It shows that we would do:

Year 3:
FM-12 weeks
IM-6 weeks
Psych-4 weeks
Peds-6 weeks
OB/GYN-6 weeks
Surgery/Anesthesia-6 weeks
Geriatrics-4 weeks
Radiology-2 weeks
Clinical Skills Orientation-1 week
Medical Jurisprudence-1 week
Vacation-2 weeks
That's 50 weeks - no free electives 3rd year...

Year 4:
Fundamentals of Medicine-4 weeks
COMLEX prep-4 weeks
EM-4 weeks
FP Hospital-4 weeks
FP specialties-2 weeks
FP elective-2 or 6 weeks
Medicine elective-4 weeks
Medicine selectives-4 or 8 weeks
Surgical specialty-0 or 4 weeks
General electives-12 weeks

28-36 weeks taken excluding surgery & general electives, which can be as few as 12 weeks, as much as 16 weeks if you go by this list (though it doesn't add up to 52 weeks).

i'm not an upperclassmen so don't quote me on this...but some ppl use their 3rd yr vacation 2 start an early audition rotation and i think the handbook got written up b4 we just got that FP elective in 4th yr changed 2 a GENERAL elective - so that could add 2 or 6 weeks. plus, if u look around, 3rd yr most ppl r stuck in the same rotations at every school though we have a bigger block of FP than some. and most 3rd yrs r stuck at home unless their school doesn't have the facilities 4 them 2 do all their rot at home in which case, they might go 2 diff places. a 4th yr i know who is looking at allo res, just did all the audition rotations early b4 interviews and ended up w/ a lot of interviews. they might remember u more if u just had an audition rot (early 4th yr) as opposed 2 if u did one during 3rd yr anyways. ask some upperclassmen on sdn, they might have a more accurate take on this than me.

Well that input helps a bit - thanks!
It's still not quite like DMU where 4th year is open except for 8 weeks, but it isn't as bad as I'd first thought. :)

Hi all,

I wanted to know what you think would be a competitive GPA and MCAT if the rest of my application was strong. I would love to attend UMDNJ-SOM, but all this waiting is making me paranoid.

Also, I heard something about reaching 85 points as the magic mark to gain acceptance. Can anyone clarify this for me and how the GPA is incorporated into this number?

Well that input helps a bit - thanks!
It's still not quite like DMU where 4th year is open except for 8 weeks, but it isn't as bad as I'd first thought. :)

and the curriculum reps r still fighting 2 get some elective time in 3rd yr 4 audition rotations so u never know if that'll b available by the time u matriculate.

Hi all!

I've neglected this thread to date (been hanging around pre-osteo a fair bit), but I have officially sent my deposit to UMDNJ-SOM.

:D

*subscribes to thread*

Welcome to the Class of 2011! :thumbup:

Hi all!

I've neglected this thread to date (been hanging around pre-osteo a fair bit), but I have officially sent my deposit to UMDNJ-SOM.

*subscribes to thread*

I didn't know it is called Evil Medical School now!! ;)
Congrats Dep!

Happy New Year people! I too am a proud member of the class of 2011!!

Hi all!

*subscribes to thread*

congrats, i remember reading some of ur posts last year since we were both applying then. glad we'll b schoolmates. can't wait 2 meet everyone next yr...but gotta get thru this semester 1st (which starts 2morrow w/ micro, neuro, and professionalism classes).

Hi all!

*subscribes to thread*

Depakote: why did you choose this as your screen name?? haha I only ask b/c the company I am now with did some of Abbott's preliminry clinical trials for this drug...

Depakote: why did you choose this as your screen name?? haha I only ask b/c the company I am now with did some of Abbott's preliminry clinical trials for this drug...

I used to take Depakote for migraine prophylaxis. When I got to college, I was in a fraternity full of med students. I found out that Depakote just so happens to be one of the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medications on the market. This became the source of a fair amount of humor so when Greek Week came around, it became my Greek Week nickname. (I've got a few Depakote Greek shirts.) Anyway, when it came time to choose a forum name, it was the natrual choice.

I used to take Depakote for migraine prophylaxis. When I got to college, I was in a fraternity full of med students. I found out that Depakote just so happens to be one of the most commonly prescribed psychiatric medications on the market. This became the source of a fair amount of humor so when Greek Week came around, it became my Greek Week nickname. (I've got a few Depakote Greek shirts.) Anyway, when it came time to choose a forum name, it was the natrual choice.

haha interesting. You should rock one of those "Depakote" t-shirts on the accepted students day so we'll all know who you are :thumbup:

haha interesting. You should rock one of those "Depakote" t-shirts on the accepted students day so we'll all know who you are :thumbup:

dunno, I'd probably go with something a little less casual than a t-shirt for the accepted students day. But you could expect to see it in class some time...

i took it 4 the same reason! how did u react 2 it? i had 2 get off cuz it made me a zombie...i could see the world going on but felt like i was slow in responding 2 it. so they weaned me off and put me on gabapentin for 2 yrs.

i took it 4 the same reason! how did u react 2 it? i had 2 get off cuz it made me a zombie...i could see the world going on but felt like i was slow in responding 2 it. so they weaned me off and put me on gabapentin for 2 yrs.

Wasn't so much of a zombie as it just didn't work all that well (they kept having to dose escalate). I did put on a nice amount of weight while on it...

eventually they realized it wasn't working and tried Topamax which has been great (along with giving up caffeine). been doing great since then.

Wasn't so much of a zombie as it just didn't work all that well (they kept having to dose escalate). I did put on a nice amount of weight while on it...

eventually they realized it wasn't working and tried Topamax which has been great (along with giving up caffeine). been doing great since then.

topamax..hmm. i've been off the prophylactic gabapentin 4 about a yr now and just take a triptan (amerge) when i get a migraine. and yeah, i have 2 restrict caffeine as well (can have every once a while only, not everyday). as a class fundraiser, we put a keurig coffee/tea maker in the student lounge but most of the time i have 2 stay away unless i wanna induce a migraine. i totally understand the pain of being a fellow migraine sufferer...

anyways, i'm glad u got in this year and c u this summer (or in april). until then, try 2 conc on life other than not being able 2 think about anything but starting school (that'll come soon enough). i remember not being able 2 think about much besides the start of school. if anyone wants a good read, The DOs by norman gevitz is a good history of the profession u r about 2 enter.

I have a good friend who takes topamax, but that's because he was electrocuted 4 years ago, and lived to tell the tale. Apparently it controls the nervy sensation of being jolted all the time that he would get if he didn't take it. Mind you he's also on methadone for some semblance of pain relief....

I'm kinda bummed I haven't gotten a letter or an email or anything even though they told me by phone they have my deposit... :(

I'm kinda bummed I haven't gotten a letter or an email or anything even though they told me by phone they have my deposit... :(

Hi Orthodoc40, I am in the same situation. I have been waiting to get mail from them also. When I called to make sure they got my deposit, they told me they were sending housing information soon. So I am hoping to at least receive that as some kind of confirmation that they have received my deposit. Let me know if you get any mail acknowledging your deposit/welcoming you to the class of 2011. Hopefully we will hear something soon :)

Hi Orthodoc40, I am in the same situation. I have been waiting to get mail from them also. When I called to make sure they got my deposit, they told me they were sending housing information soon. So I am hoping to at least receive that as some kind of confirmation that they have received my deposit. Let me know if you get any mail acknowledging your deposit/welcoming you to the class of 2011. Hopefully we will hear something soon :)

I wouldn't expect them to send you any confirmation about your deposit - your bank statement would tell you as much....

I wouldn't expect them to send you any confirmation about your deposit - your bank statement would tell you as much....

True, but it's very random how some people have received letters, account numbers, emails - and others haven't gotten anything. I'd like to know what to expect from the school in terms of communication.

The only confirmation I've gotten was an e-mail telling me to set up my my.umdnj.edu account.

really??? I haven't seen that one yet either. Is there a way I could set it up without receiving word from them on how to do so??

really??? I haven't seen that one yet either. Is there a way I could set it up without receiving word from them on how to do so??

I don't think so. They had to create an account for me. I would guess you just have to be patient. I would be the winter break slowed things down a bit...

I don't think so. They had to create an account for me. I would guess you just have to be patient. I would be the winter break slowed things down a bit...

Well geech - I sent the payment in early December!!!

Well geech - I sent the payment in November!!!

i sent in my deposit in september and i got my welcome letter in late november and my e-mail account in the beginning of december. so you gotta be patient, it takes a few months. also, if you are really worried about your deposit just e-mail someone in the office, that's what i did and got a responses within a couple of days.

i sent in my deposit in september and i got my welcome letter in late november and my e-mail account in the beginning of december. so you gotta be patient, it takes a few months. also, if you are really worried about your deposit just e-mail someone in the office, that's what i did and got a responses within a couple of days.

Wow - okay - you meant PATIENT!! :oops: (I'll ignore the fact that Depakote got his acceptance after I sent in my payment, but got his email before me......) I've emailed the office with a few different questions and have not gotten one response ever. So - communications don't rate too highly for these guys, in my book!! But anyway - I'm not that worried - just making conversation. Or babbling... or something.

Wow - okay - you meant PATIENT!! :oops: (I'll ignore the fact that Depakote got his acceptance after I sent in my payment, but got his email before me......) I've emailed the office with a few different questions and have not gotten one response ever. So - communications don't rate too highly for these guys, in my book!! But anyway - I'm not that worried - just making conversation. Or babbling... or something.

yea i have also called them twice and they promised me to contact me via email both times. that was about 2 weeks ago and i still have not heard from them! i really hope that this is not the type of communication we will be having when we're students. any reassurance from the current students would be fabulous...

yea i have also called them twice and they promised me to contact me via email both times. that was about 2 weeks ago and i still have not heard from them! i really hope that this is not the type of communication we will be having when we're students. any reassurance from the current students would be fabulous...

they've been pretty busy with break and paula is away on vacation til mid jan. jen schevlin (her secretary) who was great last year when i was applying was away since summer on maternity leave and now she's moving away so i guess the office has had a hard time picking up where she left off in the summer w/ new staff...and we just started school again so the admin is pretty busy.

first year here. feel free to ask questions.

oh btw, don't worry if u don't have ur email account yet...u really won't need it til after school starts. the few emails u get during the summer won't mean much 2 u (eg - renewing ur parking lot handtag, which won't b 4 u). email might not b handled by the admissions office either but IST (the computer ppl) and whenever u have a computer related problem, its better 2 walk straight over 2 IST in the udp building if u want it fixed fast cuz sometimes IST might take a while. more than half my class couldn't access their email until after school started cuz they couldn't log in 4 some reason. i had it since june b4 school started but like i said, u really don't need 2 use it during the summer, so don't stress.

just keep at the office by telling them ur problem and i'm sure it'll get done b4 u start school. once school starts though, do get ur wireless set up during orientation...it'll save u time later and u can access all the lecture stuff and look at it while u're in class and type notes in2 the powerpoint. don't worry 2 much if u guys r having trouble w/ communication w/ the office...it doesn't indicate much about communication once school starts...u'll mostly b communicating w/ ur professors and they're great about being accessible. and u can walk in2 the office almost any time and talk w/ anyone from dean krueger on down as long as they rn't busy. so no worries... :)

Great reminder alchemist. Having responsive professors WILL be more important to me once school starts!! :)

:oops: hey everyone, just wanted to see who else got housing information today...mine just came in the mail. I guess its a little soon to think about it, but any suggestions?

:oops: hey everyone, just wanted to see who else got housing information today...mine just came in the mail. I guess its a little soon to think about it, but any suggestions?

check out the class of 2010 thread, there's a lot of useful info there

dep what u r looking 4. i made some 'apt reviews' last yr after visiting places 4 the out-of-towners since i'm from around here and had the luxury 2 visit places as often as i'd like - c in the umdnj-som class of 2010 thread . most 1 bdrms run from around $650-850 i'd say. of course, its cheaper w/ roommates ($400-500 for 2 bdrms and possibly lower for 3 brdms). it really dep on what is most impt 2 u and u will find out what those things r as u visit places even if u dunno now. i'm trying 2 work on an apt guide 4 u guys but haven't gotten around 2 it yet...wanted 2 wait til paula gets back from vacation 2 confirm some details b4 i start organizing anything. oh, btw from what i hear, stay away from woodmere (even though its close 2 school) and anything on gibbsboro road.

i wanted safety (couple of my friends live in places where they've had gunshots and i didn't want that or loud ghetto neighbors but other ppl r more comfortable w/ that), good management (cuz i didn't wanna waste time trying 2 get them 2 fix **** when i have other things 2 do), and somewhere that had alot of som students (a community-like feeling, in case of emergencies, classmates would b around, could possibly study 2gether while at the same time having my own place 2 b when i wanted 'me' alone time), and of course, pet friendly that did not require 2 declaw my cats (cuz why am i going 2 amputate my babies' 1st toes if they're trained not 2 destroy crap?).

u'll meet potential roommates at accepted students day and i think complexes set up a housing fair sorta thing then 2. best thing is 2 ask older students cuz of course the apt reps will only show/tell u the good things about their place. sometimes the model is totally nicer than what u'll get so talk 2 upperclassmen whenever u're on campus (accepted students day).

hi guys! i recently got accepted to umdnj-som and will most likely be going there this fall. i'm really excited to be part of the umdnj-som family :D

i have seen some of the apartments, but i think i like the village apts...it's close to everything including target, panera, supermarket, mall, etc. one negative thing i hear is that you can get stuck in traffic during rush hour cause there's a train station between the apt complex and the school. also, it's pricier than the other complexes, but nicer... i want to check out echelon glen and compare it to the village...