Official Umdnj-som Class Of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi guys! i recently got accepted to umdnj-som and will most likely be going there this fall. i'm really excited to be part of the umdnj-som family :D

i have seen some of the apartments, but i think i like the village apts...it's close to everything including target, panera, supermarket, mall, etc. one negative thing i hear is that you can get stuck in traffic during rush hour cause there's a train station between the apt complex and the school. also, it's pricier than the other complexes, but nicer... i want to check out echelon glen and compare it to the village...

i live at the glen. i think the rooms r larger and cheaper but we don't have w/d in our apts and have 2 use common laundry room on the 2nd floor of each 12 apts.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you think Palms are necessary or helpful during the first two years??

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys! i recently got accepted to umdnj-som and will most likely be going there this fall. i'm really excited to be part of the umdnj-som family :D

i have seen some of the apartments, but i think i like the village apts...it's close to everything including target, panera, supermarket, mall, etc. one negative thing i hear is that you can get stuck in traffic during rush hour cause there's a train station between the apt complex and the school. also, it's pricier than the other complexes, but nicer... i want to check out echelon glen and compare it to the village...

Congrats! :thumbup:

thanks for the info! i will check that thread out :D

i live at echelon glenn. i don't think there's a better apt complex.

i was wondering the same thing....

no need 4 palms or pda yet, wait til 3rd yr 4 rotations cuz if u buy one now (unless u're in2 gadgets) by the time u r rotating u'll have 2 buy a new 1 cuz urs will b obsolete or have less features than the ones that come out that yr. use that money 4 a laptop/computer if u don't have one.

no need 4 palms or pda yet, wait til 3rd yr 4 rotations cuz if u buy one now (unless u're in2 gadgets) by the time u r rotating u'll have 2 buy a new 1 cuz urs will b obsolete or have less features than the ones that come out that yr. use that money 4 a laptop/computer if u don't have one.

Thanks!:)

Which laptop would you recommend??

Thanks!:)

Which laptop would you recommend??

i'm not really a computer person but i can tell u that those of us w/ macs (a very small minority, i think 2) sometimes cannot use alot of the educational software out there or the supplemental cd's that come w/ textbooks. so if u don't have a problem w/ pc's, a pc compatible would b good (brand of ur choice). if u get a mac, u'll need boot camp 2 run the pc stuff and i'm not sure how it is now but when it first came out, i heard it slowed down ur computer using it. make sure 2 get a dvd burner - my laptop is a couple of years old and i couldn't afford a dvd burner just a cd burner when i got mine and now i regret it cuz when i wanna burn large file educational cd's 4 my friends, i have 2 find someone w/ a dvd burner or use like 4+ cd's. make sure it is wireless capable cuz then u can download lectures while in class and then type notes in2 a copy of their powerpoints. i know the school supports dell but really any laptop will do that is current so find what u like and can get deals on and then talk 2 someone more computer savvy than me. my bro says giving me a computer is like giving a ***** the nuclear bomb but then again, he works in IT.

also, it would b good 2 invest in a flash/jump drive. i have a 2 GB one and sometimes the prof/TA will leave the presentation on the computer after a lecture and i just pop it in2 my flash drive and then my laptop b/c they don't put *everything* on webct (which is what we use 2 download our lectures notes, grades, etc), esp if its a TA's mock exam 4 sth like histo...since its sth the TA personally made up 2 help us (and not official), it isn't on webct. i wouldn't suggest a 512 mb flash drive cuz my friends have filled those up fast and had 2 erase files alot 2 put new stuff on. just wait 4 a sale at like office max/depot or some store like that or b like my friend who won a 2 gb flash drive cheap off ebay. at the beginning of this semester, the computer recording our lectures had some problem getting on the internet so they couldn't post the audio files (and 4 some like me who doesn't go 2 class, those r important), so i just put them on my flash from that computer and on2 my laptop b4 it was accessible 2 ppl waiting 2 get it off webct. its also handy if ur friend has sth on her/his laptop that u wanna copy if it isn't a huge file.

i'm not really a computer person but i can tell u that those of us w/ macs (a very small minority, i think 2) sometimes cannot use alot of the educational software out there or the supplemental cd's that come w/ textbooks. so if u don't have a problem w/ pc's, a pc compatible would b good (brand of ur choice). if u get a mac, u'll need boot camp 2 run the pc stuff and i'm not sure how it is now but when it first came out, i heard it slowed down ur computer using it. make sure 2 get a dvd burner - my laptop is a couple of years old and i couldn't afford a dvd burner just a cd burner when i got mine and now i regret it cuz when i wanna burn large file educational cd's 4 my friends, i have 2 find someone w/ a dvd burner or use like 4+ cd's. make sure it is wireless capable cuz then u can download lectures while in class and then type notes in2 a copy of their powerpoints. i know the school supports dell but really any laptop will do that is current so find what u like and can get deals on and then talk 2 someone more computer savvy than me. my bro says giving me a computer is like giving a ***** the nuclear bomb but then again, he works in IT.

also, it would b good 2 invest in a flash/jump drive. i have a 2 GB one and sometimes the prof/TA will leave the presentation on the computer after a lecture and i just pop it in2 my flash drive and then my laptop b/c they don't put *everything* on webct (which is what we use 2 download our lectures notes, grades, etc), esp if its a TA's mock exam 4 sth like histo...since its sth the TA personally made up 2 help us (and not official), it isn't on webct. i wouldn't suggest a 512 mb flash drive cuz my friends have filled those up fast and had 2 erase files alot 2 put new stuff on. just wait 4 a sale at like office max/depot or some store like that or b like my friend who won a 2 gb flash drive cheap off ebay. at the beginning of this semester, the computer recording our lectures had some problem getting on the internet so they couldn't post the audio files (and 4 some like me who doesn't go 2 class, those r important), so i just put them on my flash from that computer and on2 my laptop b4 it was accessible 2 ppl waiting 2 get it off webct. its also handy if ur friend has sth on her/his laptop that u wanna copy if it isn't a huge file.

Wow thanks! I'm not a computer savvy either! That was very helpful. I guess I should start saving for a new laptop...:scared:

Wow thanks! I'm not a computer savvy either! That was very helpful. I guess I should start saving for a new laptop...:scared:

could get a desktop if u like that better. i like the mobility of a laptop cuz i can take it 2 school if i want. but i think a computer is a must since so much of lectures notes r online and u'll get alot of school related email everyday. however, u can print the lectures out on the computers at school if u like but we have a paper limit - can't remember what it is anymore - and i don't like having 2 stay at school 2 use the computers if i need 2 use the internet or an educational program, etc. i'd rather b in my warm toasty apt using DSL and in my jammies w/ my furkids.

Members don't see this ad :)
could get a desktop if u like that better. i like the mobility of a laptop cuz i can take it 2 school if i want. but i think a computer is a must since so much of lectures notes r online and u'll get alot of school related email everyday. however, u can print the lectures out on the computers at school if u like but we have a paper limit - can't remember what it is anymore - and i don't like having 2 stay at school 2 use the computers if i need 2 use the internet or an educational program, etc. i'd rather b in my warm toasty apt using DSL and in my jammies w/ my furkids.

I think i prefer a laptop over a desktop. I use to have one when i was a undergrad, but it died. I didn't want to get a new one until i started med school.

Anybody gonna start studying before school actually starts??

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/metuchen24/

Above are pics I took while in California (Dana Point)....I visited there for a sanofi aventis investigator's meeting. What a beautiful area!!!!:luck:

Anybody gonna start studying before school actually starts??

if u can, try 2 enjoy ur last summer w/o the studying (no need). if u really wanna get a jump on the studying, u can do the prematric program during the summer (its like mini med school but u have 2 b able 2 come here early and pay rent though there's no tuition 4 the program; its also everyday all day so u can't have a job during the day - and they take attendance).

my friends who did prematric really enjoyed it. i couldn't do it cuz i needed 2 make as much $ as possible 2 save 4 the big initial apt deposit and multiple month rent and found that i still did fine 1st semester w/o it and being the slacker/crammer type (which i do not recommend, i'm still trying 2 change that but its a work in progress). i think also the ppl that did prematric bonded and made friends earlier (obviously) and also got 2 know the 2nd yrs who taught them (and many times will either b officers in the specialty clubs - like 4 anatomy, they were SOSA/surgical club officers; 4 OMM, UAAO/OMM club officers, etc or will be ur TAs/tutors in certain subjects like histo).

an oh, fight the urge 2 buy alot of books b4 school starts. u'll find that if u took some of these classes in college, those textbooks might b enough. many times, the lecture notes r sufficient or u need only supplement w/ a review book (that u'll use later 2 study 4 boards). i'd only suggest getting a book or 2 here and there if u can get them real cheap (like if have a b&n membership + additional coupon or used) and i really recommend holding off til u get 2 school and can talk 2 ur "big" (sis/bro that u'll b assigned) about what they felt were necessary/good 2 buy.

So - I should keep my biochem textbook? A & P?
Can I find more info on the summer program you mentioned somewhere - this is the first time I've heard of it. Not that I can afford it, but you know - in case I win the lottery before school starts... :D

Hey I got the housing mailing. Thanks for your work with that, alchemist!
(You did a lot with that, right?)

Can I find more info on the summer program you mentioned somewhere - this is the first time I've heard of it. Not that I can afford it, but you know - in case I win the lottery before school starts... :D

It's described here:
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/student_services/csar/prematric_program.html
I considered it a few months ago, however I don't think I am the type of student they are looking for:
"All students who have been offered admission to the SOM are invited to attend. However, enrollment is oriented toward historically under-represented minorities in medicine, non-traditional students, students from low-income backgrounds, and those students with a limited science background."

So I went through the housing list they sent out and did some research on it and this is what I came up with:
Brookview manor (stratford)
chalet gardens(pine hill)
cooper river manor (collingswood)
cooper river plaza (merchantville)
echelon glen (voorhees)
the fairways (blackwood)
hamilton court (somerdale)
lakeview (blackwood)
meadows at runnemede (runnemede)
pine ridge (lindenwold)
scandia hemman (lindenwold)
village at voorhees (voorhees)
willows at barrington (barrington)

So can any current students post their opinions about the above places...pros/cons, etc. Thanks!

actually i didn't do anything w/ the apt list yet. i was going 2 put 2gether a guide where we students wrote short blurbs on our personal experiences w/ our particular living situations/apt complexes but was waiting 4 paula 2 get back from vacation. this way u get the true down low 411 instead of just seeing the pristine model that the apt managers will show u - and u're apt could look nothing as nice as that. i was going 2 update the apt list info but i guess they already sent it out.

yes, keep the biochem textbook. u might need 2 refer 2 it though most ppl used the lecture notes and bought lippicott's biochem review book. anatomy and physio books would also b good 2 keep since textbooks get so expensive and u might just need them 2 refer 2 or 2 re-understand some concept and its not worth buying them just 4 that. 1st semester we have histo, biochem, physio, and genetics plus other classes like omm, patient care, and professionalism that'll continue thru the whole year. 2nd semester we have neuro, micro, and anatomy in addition 2 those whole year classes and case based small groups and our COPC (community oriented primary care) service project 2 give back 2 the community. we also will get 2 start using the standardized patient lab this semester. and of course, we have 2 finish off 30 hrs w/ our family med preceptor, but we've had all year 2 do that. i'm already taking patient histories and when i feel more comfortable and get a stethoscope (i didn't buy it at the welch allyn sale at school at the beginning of the year and regret it now), will get 2 do heart/lung sounds and blood pressure.

here's the info on the prematric. its free but u gotta b able 2 pay 4 living costs during that time.

It's described here:
I considered it a few months ago, however I don't think I am the type of student they are looking for:
"All students who have been offered admission to the SOM are invited to attend. However, enrollment is oriented toward historically under-represented minorities in medicine, non-traditional students, students from low-income backgrounds, and those students with a limited science background."

some students r supposed 2 take it cuz their mcat numbers were low from what i hear but i know a bunch of them who took it 4 fun or 2 get their feet wet and ease in2 the school thing and they weren't all minorities, non-trads, low income, or those w/ a limited sci background. from what my friends who took it say, it was worthwhile and i know alot of them got study tools (educational cds, dvds burned) from some of the 2nd yrs who taught it which they've burned 4 me and i find helpful. but they wouldn't have gotten those things if they didn't meet the "right" 2nd yrs early - the type who really wanna teach this stuff and try 2 help the 1st yrs as much as possible.

So I went through the housing list they sent out and did some research on it and this is what I came up with:
echelon glen (voorhees)
the fairways (blackwood)
lakeview (blackwood)
pine ridge (lindenwold)

So can any current students post their opinions about the above places...pros/cons, etc. Thanks!

collingswood, merchantville, barrington, and runnemede r a further drive (prob 20+ min) if u're the type who wants 2 b like 5-10 min from school. brookview is right around the corner from school (but wanted declawed cats), chalet gardens had w/d in apt and were pretty large but it was strange cuz the lady was bragging about their high turnover rate saying i could get almost whatever apt i wanted - not sth 2 brag about - and i'm not comfortable w/ some parts of pine hill. the village and echelon glen r right next 2 each other and similar but i thought that the village rooms were smaller and they were more expensive but they do have w/d in their apts. apts in voorhees r more expensive but u r paying 4 the safety and i find that maintenance at echelon glen is that day or w/in a day. alot of my friends live in the landings at pine lake (lindenwold) and stonington (lindenwold). i almost went 2 stonington but they had just gotten new management and from what i hear from my friends, they rn't prompt about fixing things. someone's roof caved in from the rain. this is why i wanted 2 put sth 2gether where we'd talk about these experiences. guess i'll c about doing it b4 paula gets back maybe. i gave apt reviews after visiting some last year 2 help out the out-of-towners so u can find that in the 2010 thread

Alchemist:

I have a cat (with claws) and plan to get another one before school starts (to keep her company while I am in the library). Are there any good apt complexes that will accomodate me??

Thanks!

Alchemist:

I have a cat (with claws) and plan to get another one before school starts (to keep her company while I am in the library). Are there any good apt complexes that will accomodate me??

Thanks!

i have 2 cats 2 keep each other company (3 yo and almost 2 yo). just don't 4get if u get a kitten, u'll need 2 spend a bit of time w/ it in the beginning 2 train it not 2 destroy stuff.
PET FRIENDLY
echelon glen - must pay full security dep w/ pet (otherwise $200 only if u're a student w/o pets), also has $25/month pet rent
the village - had a non-refundable deposit (like maybe $200-250?)
timber ridge (2 bdrm townhouses, prob need a roomie, though i know a couple of ppl who live alone and pay the whole rent by themselves)
stonington - non-refundable deposit
lakeview
the landings at pine lake (i know a couple ppl here w/ puppies)
chalet gardens
kingsrow
chadwick estates (and their other complex on chews landing, i think laurel sth)
NOT PET FRIENDLY (unless they've changed their policies recently)
brookview - must declaw
woodmere - must declaw
bishop court - must declaw
pine hill gardens - no pets at all
there's another one that required declawing but i can't remember

most places will either have a non-refundable deposit or monthly pet rent. i leave the blinds open so that the kitties can watch the ducks since i live near the lake. they're scared of the big a$$ geese though :) . at echelon glen, no dogs on the lakeside so my friends w/ dogs (and ferrets) live in the main part of the glen...but nothing like having pets waiting 4 u at the door when u get home! seems alot of my classmates have either dogs or cats.

Thanks for the info alchemist!!!!!!!!!!

i live in the landings in lindenwold and love it. it is the most spacious. i think it is alittle expensive for the 1-bedroom, but i live in a two-bedroom and it is pretty reasonable - plus there is washer/dryer in the apartment. i think the majority of students live in stonington court (lindenwold), the landings (lindenwold), or the village (voorhees), or echelon glen (voorhees).

echelon glen (voorhees)
the fairways (blackwood)
lakeview (blackwood)
pine ridge (lindenwold)

It's described here:

Yah - well, that sorta describes me! :oops:
I suspect it would be useful for me, but I still don't think I can afford to give up those 5 weeks of work/pay for housing...

Just to throw out another random question....what do students do for Health Insurance??

Just to throw out another random question....what do students do for Health Insurance??

if u're under a certain age (i think 24), u can b under ur parent's insurance (best option since u prob won't have 2 pay). u can opt out w/ a waiver form if u get ur own personal insurance - i looked around but it really wasn't cheaper than the school insurance. i think school insurance (u're automatically enrolled unless u fill out the waiver form) was around $1700-1800 this yr. its chickering which does most school insurance programs (i had them in grad school 2) and its a PPO so u don't need 2 c a "gatekeeper' PCP 1st b4 a specialist. school insurance also covers u (malpractice?) if u say, go 2 mexico during the summer and work in a clinic. otherwise, if u do sth like that, u'd have 2 purchase a sep malpractice insurance 4 the summer cuz i'm sure ur parent's insurance doesn't cover things like that. i think we also got something from soma (student osteo med assoc) w/ alternative personal plans that were cheaper but the coverage was not as complete (if u don't get sick alot or rn't on meds, this one might not b bad 4 u - i have some classmates who opted 4 this).

if u're under a certain age (i think 24), u can b under ur parent's insurance (best option since u prob won't have 2 pay). u can opt out w/ a waiver form if u get ur own personal insurance - i looked around but it really wasn't cheaper than the school insurance. i think school insurance (u're automatically enrolled unless u fill out the waiver form) was around $1700-1800 this yr. its chickering which does most school insurance programs (i had them in grad school 2) and its a PPO so u don't need 2 c a "gatekeeper' PCP 1st b4 a specialist. school insurance also covers u (malpractice?) if u say, go 2 mexico during the summer and work in a clinic. otherwise, if u do sth like that, u'd have 2 purchase a sep malpractice insurance 4 the summer cuz i'm sure ur parent's insurance doesn't cover things like that. i think we also got something from soma (student osteo med assoc) w/ alternative personal plans that were cheaper but the coverage was not as complete (if u don't get sick alot or rn't on meds, this one might not b bad 4 u - i have some classmates who opted 4 this).

Wow...thats expensive....I guess I'll probably go with the school's insurance. Thanks for answering my post! It's really nice of you to take the time to answer everyone's question in this thread! THANKS!

echelon glen (voorhees)
the fairways (blackwood)
lakeview (blackwood)
pine ridge (lindenwold)

Also, does anyone know about Warwick Terrace in Somerdale? Cheap and allows pets! Willows at Barrington is cheap too.

I liked the place that said something about soundproof floors... if there's one thing I can't stand, it's listening to other people in the building while I'm trying to - well, do anything!! LOL!! I want a quiet place.... think the library has a free spot?! :laugh:

definitely stay on parents' insurance if you can as mentioned above, also if you're coming from out of state and have your own car keep it in your parent's name for insurance purposes - NJ is CRAZY EXPENSIVE for car insurance.

definitely stay on parents' insurance if you can as mentioned above, also if you're coming from out of state and have your own car keep it in your parent's name for insurance purposes - NJ is CRAZY EXPENSIVE for car insurance.

Speaking of car insurance, do you happen to know if the NJ RMV cooperates with the NY RMV? Will my NYC parking tickets get re-discovered?!! :scared:

Speaking of car insurance, do you happen to know if the NJ RMV cooperates with the NY RMV? Will my NYC parking tickets get re-discovered?!! :scared:

kinda funny that u call it RMV like ppl in new england do. we call it the DMV (dept not registry of motor vehicles). i do believe that nj-pa-de-ny and some of the new england states have some relationship that they can c each other's tickets. i know my friend got a parking ticket in philly and sometime later, they mailed it 2 him in boston somehow. i'd just pay off the tix (unless u have alot) cuz i know in nj the fines add up. my friend's wife didn't get the notices (so she says) b4 they got married and later had 2 pay alot of fines in late fees.

4 car insurance, alot of my friends got the nj license 2 get 'state residency' 4 in state tuition but kept their cars on their parent's insurance b/c it was cheaper.

kinda funny that u call it RMV like ppl in new england do. we call it the DMV (dept not registry of motor vehicles). i do believe that nj-pa-de-ny and some of the new england states have some relationship that they can c each other's tickets. i know my friend got a parking ticket in philly and sometime later, they mailed it 2 him in boston somehow. i'd just pay off the tix (unless u have alot) cuz i know in nj the fines add up. my friend's wife didn't get the notices (so she says) b4 they got married and later had 2 pay alot of fines in late fees.

4 car insurance, alot of my friends got the nj license 2 get 'state residency' 4 in state tuition but kept their cars on their parent's insurance b/c it was cheaper.

Oh yah! I knew it was different but couldn't remember it is DMV!! We just call it "the Registry" here for short, so RMV sounded different - LOL!! Oh well...!
When I lived in NY I got 3 or 4 parking tickets & couldn't afford to pay them so they just kept adding on fees - like I could pay them along with fees??!! This was over 10 years ago and they STILL send me bills and warnings about seizing my long since scrapped car and plate... A friend of mine who sells used cars in NY says if I walk in they'll let me just pay the original ticket amount but do I want to go to NY just to risk it?! :thumbdown:
Anyway if I go to UMDNJ, it sounds like I'm going to have to deal with it!

Anyway if I go to UMDNJ, it sounds like I'm going to have to deal with it!

IF??? Forget DMU orthodoc - this is the place for you. Don't listen to the crowd! I've lived in NY PA and NJ, and to be completely honest, NJ is my favorite place of them all......

Has anyone else asked about the English requirement?

I've e-mailed Paula a couple of times to see if they'd accept a few alternate classes in stead of the second semester of English and she hasn't gotten back to me...

Has anyone else had this requirement waived at UMDNJ?

*is hoping not to have to take English this summer*

Has anyone else asked about the English requirement?

I've e-mailed Paula a couple of times to see if they'd accept a few alternate classes in stead of the second semester of English and she hasn't gotten back to me...

Has anyone else had this requirement waived at UMDNJ?

*is hoping not to have to take English this summer*

r they that picky about english? i never took an english class in college. though i got schools 2 count my humanities core (3 classes) as english since was an all paper writing class where we read books, though not all were english lit.

r they that picky about english? i never took an english class in college. though i got schools 2 count my humanities core (3 classes) as english since was an all paper writing class where we read books, though not all were english lit.

We're supposed to have 2 semesters of "English". They haven't mentioned it yet... but I wanted to get it taken care of now rather than get there this Summer and have a problem.

(other schools accepted the other classes I took, but I just haven't gotten a response from UMDNJ one way or another.)

MSU let me use a philosophy class where I had to write a bunch of papers. That was a cool class.....

We're supposed to have 2 semesters of "English". They haven't mentioned it yet... but I wanted to get it taken care of now rather than get there this Summer and have a problem.

(other schools accepted the other classes I took, but I just haven't gotten a response from UMDNJ one way or another.)

guess u should keep at them til they give u an answer cuz it would suck 2 get here and b told that u have a problem way 2 late. all schools i applied 2 last yr accepted my humanities classes (we didn't have 2 take english in college) but some of them wanted a copy of the course descriptions which i had 2 get from my old college.

Like Betty said, keep at them, just to make sure. I remember being worried about the same thing bc i never took an official english course. My undergrad required an english course but it was waived by an honors course I took, so UMDNJ accepted that for me as well.

I had a some what similar problem. When I was an undergrad I took two semester of English, however, one was taken pass/fail. I asked Paula if it was acceptable and she said that the admissions committee recognized that I had taken the class pass/fail, and they decided to waive that and accept me anyways. So I guess if they did not accept your "English" courses they would've have told you that in your acceptance letter. However, I would call/email Paula to make sure. Althought, she's probably really busy because it took me almost a month to get a hold of her.

Hey guys! I'm a first year and can help answer some of your questions. I came in with one semester of English and a few "writing intensive" humanities courses. I talked to Paula and got a humanities class to count for the second English requirement by obtaining a letter from the department explaining the structure of the course. I hope this helps!

If anyone has questions about commuting far, please ask! I live outside of Trenton with my husband and drive 40 minutes to school. It is definitely feasible and provides lots of extra time to listen to lectures over and over! :) Good luck and see you around SOM soon!! :D

Hello everyone!!! I just found out tonight about my acceptance and just wanted to say hi and hope to see u all soon :)

well, i talked w/ paula 2day while going over stuff 4 the student host program and asked her about the english requirement issue and she said it shouldn't b a prob, esp if they've already interviewed/accepted u but do confirm.