Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
justy_jfg said:
Hey guys I've been wondering about the federal loan disbursements. I know that one is in July and the other in December and that most students get around $30-35k, but how much of a strain is it on you that first semester? I mean, you get half of let's say, $32k, which is $16k. I read elsewhere on this thread that $10-11k of that goes directly to the school in the form of tuition and fees, so that leaves only about $5-6k for six months. How do you guys live on that? Do you take out private loans to cover you until the second disbursement? It is entirely possible that I have my facts wrong and, if this is the case, please correct me.

Thanks!!!! :cool:

Good question. The answer is: You simply sign a form that states you wish to divide your tuition payments into two. Pay half in the summer before the fall semester and the other half in December before the spring semester. I recommend paying with a credit card as you can really rack up frequent flyer miles if you have that type of card.

Members don't see this ad.

drewcog said:
Good question. The answer is: You simply sign a form that states you wish to divide your tuition payments into two. Pay half in the summer before the fall semester and the other half in December before the spring semester. I recommend paying with a credit card as you can really rack up frequent flyer miles if you have that type of card.

Thanks so much for the quick response! My stress level just went down a ton! :)

FYI -- Something is wrong with the school of medicine website. I found out this morning trying to access a research application. *cringe of panic*. I'm told it should be fixed soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in.

See everyone in a few weeks

Hello and CONGRATULATIONS!!! You all must be very excited and impatient to "get on with your lives" and start med school! It's great fun... Aren't I right other MS 1.5's? ;-)

I am a first year here and i'm really looking forward to meeting you guys!

Here's my deal. I have a 2br apartment very close to UTHSCSA campus, infact, across the street from Lot 17. Since I won't be in SA for the summer, I wanted to find an incoming MS1 who would like to have a place to stay until finalizing his/her lodging. My apt is already furnished, obviously, as I live in it. I'll be gone from May 15 to July 9 so if you want a place to stay... The price is $200/wk but we can work something out if you call me 469-223-2888

or email me [email protected]

See you soon,

Masoud

PS Pete, DON'T DELETE MY ADVERTISEMENT!

Masoud309 said:
Hello and CONGRATULATIONS!!! You all must be very excited and impatient to "get on with your lives" and start med school! It's great fun... Aren't I right other MS 1.5's? ;-)

I am a first year here and i'm really looking forward to meeting you guys!

Here's my deal. I have a 2br apartment very close to UTHSCSA campus, infact, across the street from Lot 17. Since I won't be in SA for the summer, I wanted to find an incoming MS1 who would like to have a place to stay until finalizing his/her lodging. My apt is already furnished, obviously, as I live in it. I'll be gone from May 15 to July 9 so if you want a place to stay... The price is $200/wk but we can work something out if you call me 469-223-2888

or email me [email protected]

See you soon,

Masoud

PS Pete, DON'T DELETE MY ADVERTISEMENT!
:smuggrin:

This is probably a silly question but I'll ask anyways. Do most med students pay out of their own pocket for rent and stuff in July or do you get your financial aid funds in time to pay for rent before school starts?

Second silly question of the day, is the welcome weekend a formal event? Are we allowed to wear skirts, halters, flip flops?

Ok, done :)

BlinkyCat said:
This is probably a silly question but I'll ask anyways. Do most med students pay out of their own pocket for rent and stuff in July or do you get your financial aid funds in time to pay for rent before school starts?

Second silly question of the day, is the welcome weekend a formal event? Are we allowed to wear skirts, halters, flip flops?

Ok, done :)

The welcome weekend is very causal.....nothing formal! So, if you'd like to wear a skirt, halter top and flip flops....perfect! :)

One more question:

i'm going to SA friday to look for apmts....can i also get my parking permit early? i remember someone mentioning that getting it early will give you a better chance at a better spot...is it true?

vik829 said:
One more question:

i'm going to SA friday to look for apmts....can i also get my parking permit early? i remember someone mentioning that getting it early will give you a better chance at a better spot...is it true?

definitely get ur parking now. you don't wanna be in lot 17.

TxMed said:
definitely get ur parking now. you don't wanna be in lot 17.

Hi guys! I don't think I've posted to this thread yet this year, but I'm a second-year and also willing to answer any of your questions!

I just wanted to let you know that you can't sign up for parking yet. They can't let you put your name on the list until they get the final list from the dean's office, which won't be done for a couple of months. I think that you can start putting your names on the lists and getting your IDs sometime in May (I'm not sure about the exact date; it should be on the parking office website). So--please spread the word that you will NOT be able to sign up for parking or get your IDs during Welcome Weekend!

(As far as signing up earlier to get a better spot--this is somewhat true, once you're allowed to sign up. Each level of parking costs a different amount, from ~$60 to park in lot 17 to ~$400 to park in the parking garage. Each level has a wait list. The earlier you get in, the better chance you have of getting a parking spot on campus for the beginning of the year. If you wait too long, you will have to put your name on a list for your desired level. They only let you put your name on one list at a time. As permits become available, they move down the list; this happens continuously throughout the year. Lot 17 (zone 5) never fills up--so worst case scenario is, you get a zone 5 permit, put your name on a waitlist for a zone 1-4 permit and park out in no man's land for a couple of months, and then the glorious day comes when they email you and tell you that you're the next in line! Most of us had to do it, and it's fine. It sucks for the first couple of months, but just consider it a rite of passage.)

Also, in response to an earlier question, your financial aid money is disbursed to the bursar's office 10 days before your first class day. After they have posted it to your account, they will mail you the rest in a check. They will NOT give the checks to you in person--you will have to wait for them to come in the mail. So you usually get your check a couple of days before class starts. I would recommend to play it safe and have a way to pay for your bills for the first month, just in case something happens and you don't get your check in time.

Hope this helps!
Kristen Baker, MS2

As of today, we have 66 in-coming students and 39 guests RSVPed for the Welcome Weekend!

Remember: March 17th is the deadline to RSVP!

See y'all soon!

Kristin

Members don't see this ad :)
futrdrbaker said:
After they have posted it to your account, they will mail you the rest in a check. They will NOT give the checks to you in person--you will have to wait for them to come in the mail.

...so make sure that the bursar has the address you want it sent to.

If any of you are looking for a really nice place to live for a good price send me a message and I'll fill you in. I am an MS3 that moved into my current complex last year. It is brand new and opened up last year. The apartments are "urban style" with the works... they have many one and two bedroom floorplans... let me know if you're interested.

Neil

kbrozena said:
As of today, we have 66 in-coming students and 39 guests RSVPed for the Welcome Weekend!

Remember: March 17th is the deadline to RSVP!

See y'all soon!

Kristin

Does anyone have a list of the people that matched at UTHSCSA that they can post here? I want to see if any of the people that I know from summer programs or met at interviews are in my class. Thanks

Neil8338 said:
If any of you are looking for a really nice place to live for a good price send me a message and I'll fill you in. I am an MS3 that moved into my current complex last year. It is brand new and opened up last year. The apartments are "urban style" with the works... they have many one and two bedroom floorplans... let me know if you're interested.

Neil

Hey, I put you down as a reference last year when I moved into Broadstone and never got that check!

I completely forgot about that.

Also, adrenalitis, I'm not sure anyone has the list yet outside the admissions staff but when the list is finally posted it will appear here. And I apologize about faulty parking information, but it is true you should try to get a parking spot as soon as possible once they become available.

I hesitate to post this because I kind've chuckle at those posts in the main forum from incoming students asking what they should study over summer. But, I would've liked to have known this earlier myself so.

If this hasn't been posted before, like many med schools, UTHSCSA has a way for you to place out of some classes. Specifically during orientation in August you'll be able to place out of Physiology and Biochemistry. The tests seem to be pretty damn difficult, but if you have a really strong background in human phys or medical biochemistry then you might consider brushing up the subjects over the summer and giving it a shot, because having one less class this year would've been lovely.

If this subject hasn't already been broached someone who actually took the tests should comment on them.

Just curious..

Which apartment complexes are within walking distance of the school? :)

BlinkyCat said:
Just curious..

Which apartment complexes are within walking distance of the school? :)

The Lodge, The Vintage, Medical Center Apartments, San Antonio Station, and a few condiminium complexes, etc. The Vintage is by far the nicest and thus most expensive. Medical Center Apartments and San Antonio Station are fairly nice as well, and cheaper. As for the Lodge, I've heard a lot of complaints from students who live there. But still, a lot of students live there and it is cheap, so maybe there are a lot of good experiences as well and its worth checking out. Just my two cents...probably get different answers from different people.

drewcog said:
The Lodge, The Vintage, Medical Center Apartments, San Antonio Station, and a few condiminium complexes, etc. The Vintage is by far the nicest and thus most expensive. Medical Center Apartments and San Antonio Station are fairly nice as well, and cheaper. As for the Lodge, I've heard a lot of complaints from students who live there. But still, a lot of students live there and it is cheap, so maybe there are a lot of good experiences as well and its worth checking out. Just my two cents...probably get different answers from different people.
Stay away from the Lodge. A local guy was killed there a few months ago. Sketchy in my book...

USCTex said:
Hey, I put you down as a reference last year when I moved into Broadstone and never got that check!

I completely forgot about that.

Also, adrenalitis, I'm not sure anyone has the list yet outside the admissions staff but when the list is finally posted it will appear here. And I apologize about faulty parking information, but it is true you should try to get a parking spot as soon as possible once they become available.

I hesitate to post this because I kind've chuckle at those posts in the main forum from incoming students asking what they should study over summer. But, I would've liked to have known this earlier myself so.

If this hasn't been posted before, like many med schools, UTHSCSA has a way for you to place out of some classes. Specifically during orientation in August you'll be able to place out of Physiology and Biochemistry. The tests seem to be pretty damn difficult, but if you have a really strong background in human phys or medical biochemistry then you might consider brushing up the subjects over the summer and giving it a shot, because having one less class this year would've been lovely.

If this subject hasn't already been broached someone who actually took the tests should comment on them.
I took the biochem test (didn't pass); If I had known earlier than ~ a month before [i.e., when I wasn't trying to get ready to move, etc] I might have actually passed that thing. I still did decently but not enough to pass [75/100].

It's not *too* bad. I'd recommend Lippincott's Biochem and BRS Physio. Just my two cents. Didn't take Physio.

Just wanted to say "hi" to all of my future classmates and to the posters from the c/o 2009. I guess I'll meet all of you come Welcome Weekend =)

I'm curious what this "fun activity with medical students" is for the welcome weekend. That's nothing like team-building with a ropes course or a three legged race, is it? Because I can bring the face paint, if we need it.

LindsayD said:
I'm curious what this "fun activity with medical students" is for the welcome weekend. That's nothing like team-building with a ropes course or a three legged race, is it? Because I can bring the face paint, if we need it.

Hi! If you're referring to the "Explore San Antonio" activity.....it's a surprise! BUT, I guarantee it will be a lot of fun and serve as a team builder....without ropes, three legged races or face painting! :)

Kristin

kbrozena said:
Hi! If you're referring to the "Explore San Antonio" activity.....it's a surprise! BUT, I guarantee it will be a lot of fun and serve as a team builder....without ropes, three legged races or face painting! :)

Kristin

Ooo...Scavanger hunt?

Just curious, do most of yall without significant others usually live alone?

Anyone in the Dallas area make it out to the St. Paddy Parade and ensuing mayhem?

M

I am considering changing my name from SB to Thread Killer or something like Curare.

It seems that when I post the thread become paralyzed.

M

Southern Blah said:
I am considering changing my name from SB to Thread Killer or something like Curare.

M

:laugh: Don't be so hard on yourself! Maybe you should change your name to AED or something because you did bring the thread back to life...

Southern Blah said:

M

Awww...you're not a thread killer! You're keeping it alive :p

btw, it looks like our class list is posted here http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
:)

Renoir said:
....its...so...beautiful

I second that...

Now it really feels official. When I first went to the page I did not see my name. Usually your name stands out amongst a list of others but it did not. I cannot describe the fear the came over me.

Everything is OK though...phew.

Southern Blah said:
Anyone in the Dallas area make it out to the St. Paddy Parade and ensuing mayhem?

M

Trinity Hall in Mockingbird Station -- BEST IRISH PUB EVER.

melee said:
Awww...you're not a thread killer! You're keeping it alive :p

btw, it looks like our class list is posted here http://som.uthscsa.edu/admissions/
:)

Uh ooooh... Time to start Facebooking people. BTW -- I'm a first year this year, but since I had to take partial leave for surgery last fall, I'll be a member of the incoming class. :D Love to you all!!

I actually just returned from Mockingbird Station. I went to a movie preview (Lucky Number Slevin...not bad). I haven't ever been to Trinity Hall.

Congrats to all and welcome to one of the best med schools EVER!... (no, I'm not biased *at* all.)

Can't wait to come back and *fingers crossed* work at my alma mater. :D

Megalin said:
Uh ooooh... Time to start Facebooking people. BTW -- I'm a first year this year, but since I had to take partial leave for surgery last fall, I'll be a member of the incoming class. :D Love to you all!!

Hey Megan :)

Make that two of us who were accepted last year but will not be starting until this coming fall. If you guys have any questions, you can PM one of us, as we know most of the students in this year's first-year class and have definitely gotten the inside scoop on medical school. Looking forward to meeting all of you guys soon :p

It looks like there are quite a few people who were accepted from UT-Austin, my personal alma mater....givin' a shout-out to all my fellow Longhorns!

Just saw the class listing names/schools online. If the sound of a person's name indicates ethnicity, it looks like we have a pretty diverse class of students. Way to go everybody!

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey Megan :)

Make that two of us who were accepted last year but will not be starting until this coming fall. If you guys have any questions, you can PM one of us, as we know most of the students in this year's first-year class and have definitely gotten the inside scoop on medical school. Looking forward to meeting all of you guys soon :p

It looks like there are quite a few people who were accepted from UT-Austin, my personal alma mater....givin' a shout-out to all my fellow Longhorns!

AD rules :D

-tx

txguy said:
AD rules :D

-tx

And txguy is a genius....(he won't admit it, but he is!) :p ;)

AsianDoc816 said:
I'm really excited that you're coming back next year, AD. :) :love: :thumbup:

AsianDoc816 said:

i can second the beauty that is AD...and one smokin' a$$!!!

adrenalitis said:
Just saw the class listing names/schools online. If the sound of a person's name indicates ethnicity, it looks like we have a pretty diverse class of students. Way to go everybody!

True dat. Also, I feel kind of cool knowing that I'll be going to the same med school as people from the best universities in the country. Can't wait till March 25th!!!!

Good to know that I am loved :p

TxMed said:
i can second the beauty that is AD...and one smokin' a$$!!!

lol I didn't mean it like that, but thats interesting!!! :D

-tx

Hey Justin (and anyone else who lives in and around Houston) have you seen that "Body Worlds 3" exibit at the Museum of Natural Science in Houston? I went with my brother and I have to say it is pretty strange. This guy uses a process called plastination to preserve whole human bodies that have been donated to him and then poses them in different positions. The wierdest one is "the wizard". It is a man with all of his muscles posed as if they are detached on one end and blowing in the wind and he is riding his own CNS (brain and attached spinal cord) as if it is a witches broom. If anyone can go see it, I would recommend it. You can see some of the exhibit at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/arts/art/3697064.html. It is worth the $13 student ticket rate.

When I was in CA I knew several people that had gone to both the original and 2nd exhibit. They seemed to feel as you did, well worth the price of admission. Makes me wish I could have seen them. I might have to make a trip to Houston.

M

adrenalitis said:
Hey Justin (and anyone else who lives in and around Houston) have you seen that "Body Worlds 3" exibit at the Museum of Natural Science in Houston? I went with my brother and I have to say it is pretty strange. This guy uses a process called plastination to preserve whole human bodies that have been donated to him and then poses them in different positions. The wierdest one is "the wizard". It is a man with all of his muscles posed as if they are detached on one end and blowing in the wind and he is riding his own CNS (brain and attached spinal cord) as if it is a witches broom. If anyone can go see it, I would recommend it. You can see some of the exhibit at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ent/arts/art/3697064.html. It is worth the $13 student ticket rate.
That looks like something I gotta check out!

140 in-coming students have RSVPed for the Welcome Weekend! :) I am very excited to meet everyone next week!

If you have any questions between now and then, let me know!

Kristin

WOW! Having 140 people is way more than I expected to come. I am even more excited now. See everybody in a week!