Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
xishi said:
If you don't use all of the money you're allocated, what can you spend that money on?.. I'm thinking if I have extra money, I could maybe take it and dump it in the bank and let it accrue interest or better yet put it in some mutual funds. Is that permissive or would i be doing something illegal? Also what happens to extra money that you don't take?

You will need it eventually - If not first year, travelling and step 2 during 4th year are expensive -- Just hang on to it. You'd be suprised how fast it disappears...

Personally, I wouldn't borrow anymore than I needed. What you purchase on loans will cost you more later because of interest. They will scare you with these facts during orientation. ;)

I'm lucky enough not to have to buy a car, though -- So I can't really comment about that.

John in the financial aid office is FANTASTIC. I think I've said this before -- Don't talk to the dental lady -- She makes people cry. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

M*M said:
Hey guys! I just discovered this site (late bloomer) and am super excited about coming down to school. I noticed a couple people are talking about apartments -- it's Melograno for me. I had a great time at Welcome Weekend, it was nice meeting people before orientation.

Anyhow, I'm up in Austin until July. Graduated in December, so I'm just trying to earn lots of money before school starts! Any soccer players out there for our M1 team??

Hey M*M--

I'm moving to Melograno too! Which building are you going to be in? I'm in building 6. I'm really excited about living here--hope it works out well!

--AD

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey M*M--

I'm moving to Melograno too! Which building are you going to be in? I'm in building 6. I'm really excited about living here--hope it works out well!

--AD

Yeah, I'm in building 5, 533 to be exact.... I can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
M*M said:
Yeah, I'm in building 5, 533 to be exact.... I can't wait!

i'm also at melograno :) building 6! looks like a lot of us are there...study groups!

vik829 said:
i'm also at melograno :) building 6! looks like a lot of us are there...study groups!

And thankfully your study group topics will not include Monday morning quizzes!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

vik829 said:

I just noticed that you are from Sugar Land. I'm from SL too! Did you go to Clements High School?

Sorry to butt in, but I went to Clements too =)

xishi said:
Sorry to butt in, but I went to Clements too =)

Wow! Small world, eh? :p

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey M*M--

--AD

AD ~ After an encounter with my CRAZY neighbor this morning, I'm not so sure I want to stay here... I think he is WATCHING me. :scared: I don't want to move, but I might start looking again...

Megalin said:
AD ~ After an encounter with my CRAZY neighbor this morning, I'm not so sure I want to stay here... I think he is WATCHING me. :scared: I don't want to move, but I might start looking again...

I should clarify -- I DON'T live in Melograno -- I don't want to scare anyone. :)

Megalin said:

Yes, there are definitely weird people in SA (well, I guess everywhere). When I first moved into Carlyle, I had a neighbor who sat on his porch late at night and smoked marijuana....it was just kind of scary, because I always felt like he was watching me as I walked by to get to my apartment. Luckily, he moved out a few months ago, and there is now a family living there. :p

Does anyone know the phone # to the Melograno apartments? I found one on apartments.com but it was very wrong.
Thanks!
Lindsay

Members don't see this ad :)
LindsayD said:
Does anyone know the phone # to the Melograno apartments? I found one on apartments.com but it was very wrong.
Thanks!
Lindsay

It's 210-558-0404....I'd definitely check the apartment complex out. The exterior is decorated to look like Tuscany, Italy, which is always a better place to be than studying your life away in medical school. :D

AsianDoc816 said:
It's 210-558-0404....I'd definitely check the apartment complex out. The exterior is decorated to look like Tuscany, Italy, which is always a better place to be than studying your life away in medical school. :D
Megalin and I visited there yesterday. It's *quite* gorgeous. :thumbup:

AsianDoc816 said:

oh thanks! this is the first time that google has let me down... i don't know what to believe in anymore.

LindsayD said:
oh thanks! this is the first time that google has let me down... i don't know what to believe in anymore.

LOL

-tx

EvoDevo said:
Megalin and I visited there yesterday. It's *quite* gorgeous. :thumbup:

Evo that had better be a lollipop in that froggy's little mouth!!

Megalin said:
Evo that had better be a lollipop in that froggy's little mouth!!
No way. He's a cool customer. Would a lollipop be cool? :rolleyes:

and I applied for the pre-matriculation program. A couple of my friends at UTHouston are having to spread their first year of classes over two years cause they got so far behind. I figured this program would help me avoid this situation by getting a kickstart to the first year classload. Well, I got in today and I am real excited about it. Does anybody know people that have already gone through this program and whether it is actually worth my time? I start May 30th with a stipend for living expenses. Anybody else on here doing this program?

evo, hon, how come I never see you on IM anymore. we should catch up. :)

roja said:
evo, hon, how come I never see you on IM anymore. we should catch up. :)
I'll be on a little later tonight. Failing that, I think I should just call you. You always did have the dulcet voice. :)

First however, I'm going to take a post-OSCE nap. :thumbup:

smooth talker...

Posting for a friend:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beautiful Medical Center Condominium for Rent

Recently re-modeled 2/2 condo at Spy Glass Hill Condominiums.
Large carpeted bedrooms with walk-in closets, new tile floors and
cathedral ceilings in living room and updated kitchen, balcony with
great view, washer and dryer. Spyglass Hill is a beautiful, safe,
gated community on Medical Drive just a few blocks from the Medical
Center on Medical Drive. Amenities at the complex include beautiful
pool, tennis courts and well-maintained grounds.

Rent: 800/month
If interested, please call Tony at 639-7109

Hey guys--

Be on the lookout for a big packet from UTHSCSA in the mail. I received mine yesterday, but I live only about one mile from the health science center. The packet contains information about orientation, health insurance, immunizations and more--important stuff!

Have a great weekend! :D

--AD

AsianDoc816 said:
Hey guys--

Be on the lookout for a big packet from UTHSCSA in the mail. I received mine yesterday, but I live only about one mile from the health science center. The packet contains information about orientation, health insurance, immunizations and more--important stuff!

Have a great weekend! :D

--AD
Feeling pumped??? :)

Here's a funny video some UTHSCSA students made....it must have taken forever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdJyyJ2qur0

The Matrix (Medical School) has you!!! lol

EDIT: Will 'Super Mario' prove to be a better pick than Bush???? I think the Texans are crazy!

-tx

EvoDevo said:
Feeling pumped??? :)

Pumped and nervous at the same time....weird huh?

AsianDoc816 said:
Pumped and nervous at the same time....weird huh?

AD you'll be fine. :) Besides, I'll be there. ;)

...Evo is jealous.

EvoDevo said:

Wait... WHO helped you with neuro notes so you could run off and play head surgeon??

;)

Megalin said:
Wait... WHO helped you with neuro notes so you could run off and play head surgeon??

;)
:p

BTW, Megalin brings up an important point: If y'all think that you're interested in a certain specialty, all you have to do is go to that department and *ask* to shadow. Amazingly, most of the time they will bend over backwards to show you what their particular specialty is all about.

Some specialties more than others. ;)

Just a few more months, y'all! :luck:

EvoDevo said:

BTW, Megalin brings up an important point: If y'all think that you're interested in a certain specialty, all you have to do is go to that department and *ask* to shadow. Amazingly, most of the time they will bend over backwards to show you what their particular specialty is all about.

Evo....do you think I could start shadowing this summer, even if I haven't OFFICIALLY started school (and while I still have the time)?

--AD

AsianDoc816 said:
Evo....do you think I could start shadowing this summer, even if I haven't OFFICIALLY started school (and while I still have the time)?

--AD
Dunno. Won't hurt to ask, right???

EvoDevo said:

I could not agree with this more. They really love showing you all aspects of the specialty--and don't worry, the "pimping" sessions are not that bad :oops: :D

Best of all, this gives you a break from the books and sorta reminds you why you are even here in the first place--its easy to get lost in seemingly random facts, pathways, etc.

-tx

bump!

Anyone else get an excited/nervous knot in their stomach after getting info in the mail about classes beginning 8AM on July 31st? :)

naijaMD said:
bump!

Anyone else get an excited/nervous knot in their stomach after getting info in the mail about classes beginning 8AM on July 31st? :)

I'm definitely a little anxious. It is getting really close and will be here before we know it! Right now, my biggest thing is finding furniture to put in my apartment. Any ideas of good, cheap places to find living room and dining room furniture? I have empty rooms here!

txguy said:
I could not agree with this more. They really love showing you all aspects of the specialty--and don't worry, the "pimping" sessions are not that bad :oops: :D

Best of all, this gives you a break from the books and sorta reminds you why you are even here in the first place--its easy to get lost in seemingly random facts, pathways, etc.

-tx

This is true for anyone with even the slightest inkling of proactivity in any department.

I will say though that if you're interested in surgery we have an amazing Student Surgical Society. The department just leaps at the chance to start recruiting early.

There's a very formal ER and OR program which you can sign up for without tracking anyone down. SSS events led to other shadowing oppurtunities for me, a summer research project, contacts. I was really stunningly impressed how much effort the Surgery Deparment here put into basically selling first and second year students on surgery.

naijaMD said:
bump!

8 AM is cruel....9 AM is much better. I don't look forward to waking up in the dark this summer :scared:

AsianDoc816 said:
8 AM is cruel....9 AM is much better. I don't look forward to waking up in the dark this summer :scared:

This coming from the girl who got up at 5am everyday! :p

I know, I know, I'm one to talk :D :D

Enjoy your summer MS0s!

-tx

txguy said:
This coming from the girl who got up at 5am everyday! :p

I know, I know, I'm one to talk :D :D

Enjoy your summer MS0s!

-tx

Yah, I don't think that was a good idea....4-5 hours of sleep just didn't cut it for me after 6 weeks :sleep:

AsianDoc816 said:
Yah, I don't think that was a good idea....4-5 hours of sleep just didn't cut it for me after 6 weeks :sleep:

AD I know what you mean - It was 530 every morning for me last fall...

But Neuro has conditioned me to wake up and get to school within 45 minutes... :eek:

You need plenty o' REM sleep for good memory!! ;)

Do any of you guys know anything about a place called Nob Hill? I went to look at a 2br2bath 1050 sq. ft. for 596/month. They seem a little old but nice-w/d connections, alarm system, covered parking, dishwasher, fridge, etc. It seems like a really great deal but I wanted some input from people who know the area before I sign the lease.

justy_jfg said:
Do any of you guys know anything about a place called Nob Hill? I went to look at a 2br2bath 1050 sq. ft. for 596/month. They seem a little old but nice-w/d connections, alarm system, covered parking, dishwasher, fridge, etc. It seems like a really great deal but I wanted some input from people who know the area before I sign the lease.

Creepy cheap. My 1/1 that isn't brand new or super nice is $562. I would be wary...

justy_jfg said:

Is that the one on Callaghan? If so, it's a bad part of town (lots of break-ins, auto-thefts, etc.)....I agree with the other two posters....a price that is "too good to be true" is probably just that....