Official UTHSCSA c/o 2010 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Judging from some of the comments on this page (traffic, noise, etc.), I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good idea to sign a lease for an apartment along Medical drive. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

naijaMD said:
Judging from some of the comments on this page (traffic, noise, etc.), I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good idea to sign a lease for an apartment along Medical drive. :confused:

That depends -- WHERE on Medical Dr. I live at the "top", by I10, and I hear NO ambulences. The traffic is bad at certain times of the day, but it's nothing impossible. It's just frustrating that my apartment is SO close and there is a line at the light. But it is quite peaceful. :)

Megalin, you're quickly becoming my new best SDN friend with all of your reassuring words. :) I would be living near I10 as well so we shall see how it all works out for me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
naijaMD said:

You also have to remember that around peak traffic times (7-8 AM and 5-6 PM), a little congestion is nearly unavoidable. However, you'll learn alternate routes and shortcuts by living around the medical center for a little while. I'm just glad that I didn't wind up in the Texas Medical Center in Houston....now THAT is a lotta traffic! :eek:

We need some mail from the school or something to liven this 'bored' up...

(for the critical, pun intended)

adrenalitis said:
Here is the list of the 2006 residency match results from UTHSCSA. Finally something to break the awkward silence!

And just for comparison, we were told that the national average for students being succesful in the match (pre-scramble) is 93%. So 96% means the students here did very well this year.

And I am so excited that one is coming here to my program! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.. more texans in NYC. :)

roja said:
And I am so excited that one is coming here to my program! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.. more texans in NYC. :)
Heh. I was just talking with him about that the other day... :smuggrin:

Hey,

I sent an email to Dr. Jones last night telling him that every student I have talked to said that the workout facilities were too small at UTHSCSA when I asked them what was one weakness of the school. I wanted to know if they were aware of this and if there were any plans to expand. When I got a response this morning I was a little nervous that it would read "We don't like complainers, ACCEPTANCE REVOKED!", but he was really nice about it. He listed all the facilities they had that were unique among the medical schools in Texas and then described the school's plans to turn the first floor of the parking garage into an expanded fitness complex. He said that the school just needed to raise the funds as the state will not pay for these expenses.

I just figured I would post this to tell everybody that the "open-door" policy that they kept on harping on wasn't bulls#!t.

adrenalitis said:
Hey,

I sent an email to Dr. Jones last night telling him that every student I have talked to said that the workout facilities were too small at UTHSCSA when I asked them what was one weakness of the school. I wanted to know if they were aware of this and if there were any plans to expand. When I got a response this morning I was a little nervous that it would read "We don't like complainers, ACCEPTANCE REVOKED!", but he was really nice about it. He listed all the facilities they had that were unique among the medical schools in Texas and then described the school's plans to turn the first floor of the parking garage into an expanded fitness complex. He said that the school just needed to raise the funds as the state will not pay for these expenses.

I just figured I would post this to tell everybody that the "open-door" policy that they kept on harping on wasn't bulls#!t.

Way to take the initiative! :thumbup: It's the little things like this that continue to convince me that I've made the right decision by choosing to attend UTHSCSA. All the current students rave about the awesomeness of the administration and here is yet another example of that. Can't wait till July!

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Heh. I was just talking with him about that the other day... :smuggrin:

dontcha wish you were coming???? :love:

Just got my award letter and I was wondering if there was a particular lender that you guys prefer over any of the others.

justy_jfg said:
Just got my award letter and, I was wondering if there was a particular lender that you guys prefer over any of the others.

T.H.E. Northstar

EvoDevo said:
Yep. Fast and reliable.
Thanks for the quick response. One more question: do I need to go to their website and do a promissory note for my Stafford lender? Thanks again!

justy_jfg said:
Thanks for the quick response. One more question: do I need to go to their website and do a promissory note for my Stafford lender? Thanks again!

If I remember correctly, you choose the lender and send that back to UTHSCSA. T.H.E. will then get the process running and you will receive everything via mail. Again, that is if my memory serves me well, which it hasn't lately. I did e-sign my master promissory note.

adrenalitis said:
He listed all the facilities they had that were unique among the medical schools in Texas and then described the school's plans to turn the first floor of the parking garage into an expanded fitness complex.

Did he happen to say WHICH parking garage? Just curious. :)

naturally. Especially as I will be here for 2 more years.. :D

Does anybody know how much fin aid med students typically get? I just want to make sure I didn't screw up with the forms because the amount given seems so little... :(

Megalin said:
Did he happen to say WHICH parking garage? Just curious. :)

I didn't know there was more than one parking garage. He didn't say which one was going to be used for renovation, but it didn't sound like it was going to happen very soon. He said that the funds had to be raised independent of state money. I'd imagine it would take quite a few link sales to build a new fitness complex, though.

Has everyone but me received fin. aid stuff? Aw, now I'm feeling left out of the fun...

BlinkyCat said:
Does anybody know how much fin aid med students typically get? I just want to make sure I didn't screw up with the forms because the amount given seems so little... :(

It was anywhere from like 28-35k based on what I was told by the current med students. I don't know how much you got, and won't ask you to tell me either, but I think you can go to the financial aid office and get them to certify you for more. Hope this helps!

BlinkyCat said:
The "standard" finaid package is ~32K, with ~12K going towards required tuition and fees, etc. So you get to live on ~20K. That's the rough estimate, your mileage may vary....

you never know... :)

EvoDevo said:
The "standard" finaid package is ~32K, with ~12K going towards required tuition and fees, etc. So you get to live on ~20K. That's the rough estimate, your mileage may vary....

Thanks ya'll!

adrenalitis said:
I didn't know there was more than one parking garage. He didn't say which one was going to be used for renovation, but it didn't sound like it was going to happen very soon. He said that the funds had to be raised independent of state money. I'd imagine it would take quite a few link sales to build a new fitness complex, though.

In a way, nice -- I'm on the waiting list for one of those parking garages... ;)

EvoDevo said:

*Crossing my fingers* that they take into account the fact that our housing market was inflated after Hurricane Katrina... :scared:

Megalin said:
*Crossing my fingers* that they take into account the fact that our housing market was inflated after Hurricane Katrina... :scared:
Based on my award letter, I would say that they did, but who knows. It may be different for everyone else.

So do we get all the excess funds from loans in one lump sum, or do they split it over two semesters? And if they split it, do they also split tuition/fees as well?

adrenalitis said:
So do we get all the excess funds from loans in one lump sum, or do they split it over two semesters? And if they split it, do they also split tuition/fees as well?

They split both. So if total tuition for the year is $10,000 and you receive $20,000 in loans, you will pay $5,000 per semester and receive a check for $5,000.

adrenalitis said:

Most of our classes start in the fall, so we buy more books in the fall. We have to purchase our OBD doctoring toys in the fall. We have to buy the harddrive for histo in the fall. We pay more for our syllabus in the fall.

BUT our loan check is split in half between fall and spring, so therefore so is the budgeted amount for books and supplies is as well...

My labtop reimbursement saved me (don't forget that gets split in half too). Yesterday I talked to Dr. Clare -- She said that she would try to work something out so that such a disproportionate amount of costs don't fall in the... fall.

I know it's a bit premature, but I noticed that we get spring break as med students. :D Is this a "real" spring break where we can actually go and vacation or is it reserve for more studying and/or do something productive? :D

I thought once we get into med school, we'll never see daylight again until summer...hehe :)

BlinkyCat said:
I know it's a bit premature, but I noticed that we get spring break as med students. :D Is this a "real" spring break where we can actually go and vacation or is it reserve for more studying and/or do something productive? :D

I thought once we get into med school, we'll never see daylight again until summer...hehe :)

It's a REAL spring break!! Thanksgiving... that's another matter...

Its a real spring break! We had all of our tests before spring break, so most everyone went on vacation and relaxed :D (however, there was an issue of "staggered" scheduling, so we had some Bacteriology material we *could* have studied over spring break, but we were told there will be no more staggered scheduling next year for MS1's)

We also get about 3 weeks off for xmas break (some schools only get 2 weeks!) so thats good too :thumbup:

-tx

txguy said:
Its a real spring break! We had all of our tests before spring break, so most everyone went on vacation and relaxed :D (however, there was an issue of "staggered" scheduling, so we had some Bacteriology material we *could* have studied over spring break, but we were told there will be no more staggered scheduling next year for MS1's)

We also get about 3 weeks off for xmas break (some schools only get 2 weeks!) so thats good too :thumbup:

-tx

And when txguy says "break," that means a real break....this guy is a studying machine! :D

bump!

Hope everyone had a fantastic Easter!

*bump*

2nd page again...I can't handle it.

Everyone complete the survey?

Southern Blah said:
*bump*

2nd page again...I can't handle it.

Everyone complete the survey?

Last edited:
Thank you for completing the Welcome Weekend survey....we just sent it out today...and we've already received over 70 responses! (I've been checking about every 15 minutes!)

Your input is so valuable (even if you were unable to attend)! Any and all comments are appreciated....

Kristin

My fiance and I are looking for a place to rent for a month, starting in late july and ending sometime in august. (the place we're probably going to buy is being redone and won't be finished in time for school). Close and cheap would be good, even just a bedroom that someone wants to rent out for a month.

thanks!

cuillezVJ said:
My fiance and I are looking for a place to rent for a month, starting in late july and ending sometime in august. (the place we're probably going to buy is being redone and won't be finished in time for school). Close and cheap would be good, even just a bedroom that someone wants to rent out for a month.

thanks!

I know this may be a last resort, but if you cant find a place to sublease for a month, there are several long-stay, hotel-type places nearby where you can rent by the week. Prob not very nice for what you'd be paying, but very close and no long term commitments. The one I'm thinking of is at Fredericksburg and Louis Pasteur, I think it may be called Budget Suites, but I'm not sure. Anyhoo, just something to consider if you find yourself in a bind with nowhere to stay.

Hey guys! I just discovered this site (late bloomer) and am super excited about coming down to school. I noticed a couple people are talking about apartments -- it's Melograno for me. I had a great time at Welcome Weekend, it was nice meeting people before orientation.

Anyhow, I'm up in Austin until July. Graduated in December, so I'm just trying to earn lots of money before school starts! Any soccer players out there for our M1 team??

M*M said:
Hey guys! I just discovered this site (late bloomer) and am super excited about coming down to school. I noticed a couple people are talking about apartments -- it's Melograno for me. I had a great time at Welcome Weekend, it was nice meeting people before orientation.

Anyhow, I'm up in Austin until July. Graduated in December, so I'm just trying to earn lots of money before school starts! Any soccer players out there for our M1 team??

We have TWO MS1 teams :)

We start intermural soccer playoffs this week!!

EvoDevo said:

If you don't use all of the money you're allocated, what can you spend that money on? I found a thread about a med students wanting to use some extra loan money to buy a used car and there were differing opinions on the legality of that. I'm thinking if I have extra money, I could maybe take it and dump it in the bank and let it accrue interest or better yet put it in some mutual funds. Is that permissive or would i be doing something illegal? Also what happens to extra money that you don't take?