Official UTMB class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by Baki
Hi guys,

There sure are alot of SDNers this year, last year it was like me and a couple others. If you are looking for places to stay, I say stay close to campus. I live right down the streeet, and I can literally walk to class or go to the gym in like 5 minutes! Very useful if you wake up late!!! If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Check out Quest too, the new student orientation you'll get info on later. Good way to meet all your classmates and have alot of fun, you'll see me there too mooching off the free food and drinks :). Well the books are callin me again, and soon you'll hear it too heehee, but don't worry if you've made it this far you'll do fine. Congrats guys.

hey, could u hook me up with ur screename (AIM). mine is dirtypersianman (one word). itll be easier than going back and forth in this forum. thx

Members don't see this ad.

WOOHOOOO!!! I'm in at UTMB!! MY DREAM SCHOOL!!! *screams and runs around the post hugging everyoe*

I can't believe this!! Guys!! We're GOING TO MED SCHOOL!!!

Sorry, I had to be a bit of a girl there....but what can I say...I do have tits and all...

Couple things to tackle for discussion..

1)....I live way the heck over in Tennessee....so I can't meet up with you guys in Austin....I have family in Austin..and Austin is my brother's name...but of course...that really isn't much help....in the least bit........

2) Now, as for scholarship money.......am I just a worthless dumb ass or what?! I didn't get a dime...not a freakin' dime....FAFSA had better come through for me or.....heads are gonna roll....

3) *mumbles and stares at physics book* Yeah, the *****ic nature continues...I took the MCAT without having experienced Physics yet....*giggles* But I guess that really doesn't matter now does it?! MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAA
(that wasn't much of a topic was it?)

4) So who's excited?!

5) Oh and....considering I live on the other side of the country....I have no clue....about where in the hello to live.....any uh....ideas....? I should contact housing again shouldn't I?

6) So who's freakin' out about this....and are your parent(s) threatening to follow you around? My mom is having an absolute fit...she's told more people about this than I have....but then again I've been trying to keep this down a little bit...I don't want to look like a cocky frell (that's for the Farscape fans).

7) There isn't a 7 I just typed it and don't feel like deleting it...

Congrats guys!

kayce

hey i just joined this forum (a friend sent me the link to this specific thread) and i'm going to UTMB next fall too. i'm in austin right now as well. look forward to meeting/hearing from you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey ammar did you live in carothers or andrews for a couple years?

OK guys....come on now....do we wanna get together or not....if so please everyone pm about their preferred time and date !! and then i will post those preferrences and we will go with the majority or figure something out so that everyone can attend. But I need everyone who wants to come at least pm me or post their preferred time and date....!! At least this way we can coordinate it....or if anyone has any suggestions please share it with us....that is if we wanna get together.

BTW, CONGRATS AMMAR and welcome !! :clap: :clap:

Originally posted by meltmyfaceoff
hey ammar did you live in carothers or andrews for a couple years?

yea i lived in andrews for two years, who are you? about meeting, this weekend isn't good for me, but any other time works.

thanks disenchated!

ok...should we start a poll on the best time and place for the class of 2008 (in austin) to meet? i take it this weekend isn't good for too many people. what works for you?
nikki:rolleyes:

Originally posted by nykka3
ok...should we start a poll on the best time and place for the class of 2008 (in austin) to meet? i take it this weekend isn't good for too many people. what works for you?
nikki:rolleyes:

ya this weekend sucks for me too. i have 3 tests next week. the real question is, should i care? :D

So when do we start talking to the advisors about financial aid? I saw some kind of timeline in the envelope they sent saying loans were dealt with in February or March, but that's pretty soon. Anyone know more about this?

Also, anyone looking for a roommate to split a house with? I'd really like to buy a house to get some of my money back in the end, but I don't know if I could get enough aid for it. The payments on a $100,000 house would be about $550 per month, with decent interest rates. With two people, it would be half that. Of course it would be hard to find a roommate if we haven't met yet, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

ya, this weekend sux for me too.....i have two tests. How about next week.....perhaps sat or sun !?? I can do either of the days.

Has anyone thought about where they are going to live yet? I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what is close and a nice area to live in (safe, etc). Current students would help a lot im sure! Anything is helpful thanks!

:cool:

My advice:
1) Contact Brenda McLaren at UTMB Bookstore. She runs the UTMB housing which includes off-campus apartments and houses for RIDICULOUSLY cheap. She may also run the dorms, but I don't quite know. Anyhow, she will say these places are full, but put your name on the wait list anyways.

2) http://galvestondailynews.com/classifieds/index.lasso

3) You can drive near and around campus for "For Rent" signs. Lots of real estate investors have bought up old houses and renovated them and then stick a sign out without necessarily advertising it. So you can find gems this way. Very low yield approach however.

4) Apartment complex locators. Whatever you do, please avoid Villa Marina (Harborside and Ferry Rd). I used to live there in misery and have vowed until I die to bring those fu.ckers to the ground. Most upperclassmen move out of there because it's so bad, and 1st years get duped into being there (crime mainly, which the leasing office will lie to you that there isn't any... plus garbage all over the place.)

Good luck and congrats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Lowbudget for information, is there anything you can tell us we should know before getting there? Just general stuff, what to watch out for, what to look forward to etc.??? Thanks a ton!

Naw, not really. Parts of town are ghetto. I'd suggest that you drive/walk around at night to see if you feel safe in certain parts of town. When cutting a lease, figure out how much it'll cost to break the lease and how many months in advance you need to tell the office. Frat houses are opened to everyone who wants to be there. It's NOT like undergrad frat houses or rushing. They don't turn away people who want to be part of the frat... it's not like that. Also, the frat system here is geared towards the poor people (unlike undergrad)... the rent in the houses are really cheap, so if you're short of cash, it's one consideration. Some cell phones get really bad reception down here. So be prepared to switch service when you get down here. Summer time will be HOT. I always carry bug spray with me (Off, the light family one) and then spray down my door with Deep Woods before I walk into my apartment. The mosquitoes will bite you while you get your keys. G-town's a pretty benign place to live. I don't know if they're offering prematric anymore, but it's worth going. Prematric is this pre-program where you go to class and get a head start on 1st year classes without real grades. It's nice especially for people out of school for years to do this program... Plus you meet your classmates. Don't study too hard during it, but do a little bit of work so you feel like you didn't waste time. Quest is a lot of fun... this is basically done before Orientation that brings together all the schools so you can meet everyone. Orientation is usually restricted your own school (med, nursing, etc). Many parties thrown for the incoming first years by frats and by the school that first week... and the parties continues throughout med school... hehehe... it's a lot of fun.

You'll have a good time. Enjoy your summer. Come down early and get settled in. Be social, it'll make your med school life so much more enjoyable.

Originally posted by ammar
yea i lived in andrews for two years, who are you? about meeting, this weekend isn't good for me, but any other time works.

thanks disenchated!

hey i know you dude whats up this is sheel

Originally posted by lowbudget
You'll have a good time. Enjoy your summer. Come down early and get settled in. Be social, it'll make your med school life so much more enjoyable.

thanks for all the great advice. do you have AIM? could i msg you if i have other questions?

is anyone thinking of going to the summer program at UTMB from may 24th to july 2nd. i want to but i would also like to continue getting a paycheck at work for 6 weeks. it seems like i would be responsible for finances there, but i really want to go.

They give out scholarships/funding for the program. Call Office of Student Affairs and ask them for it. I think Sandra Garvock runs prematric, but good luck finding her... welcome to UTMB bureaucracy...

Is this a research program or something else? Just curious thanks!, Lowbudget thanks a lot for the help on the apartment front, I am going to come down and check things out over my spring break so that gives me a starting place for sure thanks again!

No, prematric is this pre-program where you get a taste of 1st year med school by having some of the lecturers give talks on some subjects you'll hear again in first year. It's really laid back, and no big deal at all. Faculty basically volunteer their time to do this. For my year a couple of years ago, it was opened to anyone, but because 1/2 of the class showed up my year, they started losing money relative to the stuff that was needed to support the program (scholarship funding/cadavers)... so i think now they restrict it to only a couple of people who can benefit from getting a taste of school before school officially starts.

It's no big deal.

So how's everyone doing?

Yo, so I'm doing pretty good.....I have Histology books surrounding me and I'm managing to avoid sudy time....*stares directly at screen so as to not catch a glimse of ....anything*

Sooooo...I didn't mention my AIM Screen name before.... but I just got an idea!!! Why don't we all run through with a little intro of ourselves!

I'm Kayce Branson....HI! I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee....I'm a biology major chemistry minor at the University of Tn at Chattanooga. Work...I run the microbiology prep lab for UTC.... Uhhh...I love my dogs ..............what else.... My aim SN is DeadKow2 ....I drive a black jeep wrangler and at the moment...I am EXTREMELY sleepy....

NEEEEEEEEEEEXT~~

Hey there, I am Jared and I am a Biology and Biochemistry double major at Roanoke College, in Salem, VA and I am orginally from Syracuse NY but I live up in Amarillo TX now, I like photography and art, golf, beer and other things. PM me if you would like my AIM name!

Next please----------------

hi my names sheel i go to ut austin and my nose is runny because its cold outside and i dont have a warm enough jacket and i left my umbrella at home because i thought it would stop raining but it didnt and now im in hell.

also i work in a lab and tutor at kaplan and do a radio show from 9-11 pm on 91.7 if youre in austin and want to listen to it.

hi my name is nikki. i was born in guyana, south america. i moved to the us.(austin) when i was 6. i graduated from spelman college (atlanta) in 1998 (B.S. biochemistry). I had a postbach fellowship at NIH for 2.5 years, worked at Celera Genomics for 8 mo. (hated it!!),and i came back to tx. to work at UTMD Anderson and apply to med school. I live in bastrop and work as a research asst. in a carcinogenesis lab at the research division of UTMD in Smithville. i hate small towns but galveston has an island feel to it and is close to houston. my email address is [email protected]. can't wait to meet all of you guys soon. i will be going to galveston next month to look for places to live... is anyone else going down there soon?

Alright guys......yay....its SNOWING in Austin!!

I can't wait to see you guys.....BTW, how is crime in Galveston. It kinda looked scary when I went there for my interview!?? And of course any suggestion on good places to live is much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your insight lowBudget !!

i'm new to posting on these boards, but i am very excited about this post... because i got into UTMB!!
~about the housing situation... i was talking to a friend of mine who is a first year there and she said that she waited until mid summer to do her apartment searching and she ended up in a renovated frat house... she told me to try to find something BEFORE June 1.
congratulations everyone...

anyone know how to be sure that the acceptance packets we had to send back got there? i mailed mine a week ago, but i have this nightmare that it got lost in the mail. i wonder what would happen in such a situtation... surely it wouldnt happen.

will utmb be mailing us something here pretty soon? anyone have any idea?

I called them today to double check and the office is closed, so I left a message, I am going to try again tommorrow and double check mine got there too! Anything new from future UTMBers?

just so you know i called again today and they were able to tell me if everything got there ok, and it did, but I had the same nightmare you did too! Call 409-772-6958 to find out!

Jared

man i called them and they said they dont have it yet man

Originally posted by meltmyfaceoff
man i called them and they said they dont have it yet man

when did you send it ?

last wednesday. i called and she said theyre not gonna take away my spot or anything, so i dont care much. theyll get it soon.

Any interesting news from anyone? Not to many people talk around these parts....

Jherr-
so they told you that they werent going to take away your spot? whew. so is feb 16 like an estimated due date? did they tell ya when they will mail us more stuff- maybe about financial aid and stuff like that?

K

no no I called and they had gotten mine just fine that was someone else, sorry bout the confusion!

Oh and no they didnt say anything about financial aid, etc but then again I didnt ask, I should have so maybe I will call them again, or if you do let us know thanks!

Jared

i called financial aid, and the guy told me that i should file my FAFSA. because after you file your fafsa, UTMB has their own financial aid form to fill out.

any of you dudes going to the downtown this weekend it is mardi gras i think and maybe i will get to laugh again when a guy gets arrested for flashing some people and then starts crying as he is dragged away.

i want to go sat. night

I just got back from Mardi Gras in New Orleans with my girlfriend, we even got to ride on a float in a parade, let me tell you thats quite the experience. Is Galveston Mardi Gras any good? I have been to N.O. 2 times for it now and Im sure its hard to compete. I was just curious!

The east end of Galveston, which has the older homes, has some really great houses that have yards, trees, etc... The hospital is on the east end as well, so you would be close. I would check with some realtors or locators to find some for rent.

Is it better to look for house apartments or simply complexes?

How come no one posts anymore???:confused:

I am from Galveston, and will be starting at UTMB this fall. I just moved to a great studio loft on the Strand. There are some really cool places down there--a lot of them have original hardwood floors, vaulted ceilings etc... More of them are being renovated all the time. I recommed checking those out too. They're pretty reasonable too; we got ours for $900 and it's a two bedroom.

Anyone know when the FAFSA due date is for UTMB?