***"Official" WHERE DID YOU MATCH?***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm headed to Yale!
so excited...:D

Members don't see this ad.

:D Heading to Chi Town....Northwestern, my #1! I will see you there DUUSC

NY Hosp Queens....My #3 but I thought it was one of the best places I interviewed at. Anyone know about housing in NYC?????

Drop me a PM. I have lived here for several years and can help out a little.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will where did this person match. He is a decent friend and I remember his concern. I am glad it worked out for him. Im guessing Cook..

He matched at Jacobi. Pretty happy for him.

Our list will be released today...I'll update the rest of the EM spots.

Got my #1!

Any of my future fellow interns out there?

although i'm still always a bit perplexed to see people so excited about moving to cincinnatti . . . i understand its a dynamite program, but still . . . whatever, to each their own. :)

Since I did an away rotation at Cinci and was familiar with it, I went on more interviews than I probably should have because I wanted to make sure there wasn't a program that I thought was clearly better, and I didn't find that. I think I've said enough around here why I liked Cinci's program so I won't rehash that. Cinci isn't a popular town for some reason, but If someone could give me reasons why, I might understand it.

I lived there a month and I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, I interviewed in Tampa, Jax, Atlanta, Philly, and near Boston, and I've lived in Miami most of my life. I love those places (not Miami so much anymore) but throw in cost of living on a resident's salary and what I considered the best program I visited, it was an easy choice. These were my reasons, and everyone will have their own reasons. If I was married to someone who had a great job here in Tampa and couldn't find that somewhere else, I would have ranked USF #1 and never looked back. So there are tons of scenarios that fit each applicant best, isn't that why we go on so many interviews to start with?

Anyways, this may be the longest post I've posted on here in a while, and I wonder if it's because I become contemplative when I have a hang over. :D :D

Congrats to everyone, this was a tough year, so let's enjoy celebrating, graduating, then get the most out of our training, and enjoy residency! :cool:

Since I did an away rotation at Cinci and was familiar with it, I went on more interviews than I probably should have because I wanted to make sure there wasn't a program that I thought was clearly better, and I didn't find that. I think I've said enough around here why I liked Cinci's program so I won't rehash that. Cinci isn't a popular town for some reason, but If someone could give me reasons why, I might understand it.

I lived there a month and I didn't think it was that bad. Sure, I interviewed in Tampa, Jax, Atlanta, Philly, and near Boston, and I've lived in Miami most of my life. I love those places (not Miami so much anymore) but throw in cost of living on a resident's salary and what I considered the best program I visited, it was an easy choice. These were my reasons, and everyone will have their own reasons. If I was married to someone who had a great job here in Tampa and couldn't find that somewhere else, I would have ranked USF #1 and never looked back. So there are tons of scenarios that fit each applicant best, isn't that why we go on so many interviews to start with?

Anyways, this may be the longest post I've posted on here in a while, and I wonder if it's because I become contemplative when I have a hang over. :D :D

Congrats to everyone, this was a tough year, so let's enjoy celebrating, graduating, then get the most out of our training, and enjoy residency! :cool:

SG- I love miami. I'm curious, why don't you like living there? I am seriously thinking of moving there when I am done with fellowship/masters.

Congrats to everyone, and especially to all the folks who matched at the University of Chicago -- we're excited about getting you all.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask any of us. You can email me at [email protected]. I promise to reply as soon as I find some time where I'm not working, sleeping, or reading old Charles Krauthammer op-eds and getting all pissed off.

Like I said, there's fun times ahead...

Very mature thinking process here! Who really cares if the city is NYC or LA or Chicago if the program is exceptional. And Cinci's program is exceptional. I only cancelled my interview there (painful choice) last interview season because 4 years was not for me. But truth be told, some of the country's best programs are in some less than popular places. Several come to mind.

Cinci
Indy
Geisinger
Peoria
Scott and White (Temple)
UTSW (Dallas)
Hennepin/Regions- Minneapolis
Mayo- Rochester
Buffalo
Rochester, NY
York, Pa

etc....etc....etc...

But anyone thinking of buying a house, making a profit, and caring more about their education than their nightlife, it makes perfect sense to choose a well established program in an "average" city.

I am from Houston, Tx, and I assure you that Houston has anything and everything that you would ever want in culture, nightlife, cost of living, sports...etc..etc.., but you couldn't pay me to be there right now!!!

Someone said it already, but to each their own.

SG- I love miami. I'm curious, why don't you like living there? I am seriously thinking of moving there when I am done with fellowship/masters.

Roja, I grew up in Miami, lived in PHL, NYC, Chicago etc.

Miami is a great city but it is an exceptionally poor city. Over 1/3 of the city lives below the poverty line. Obviously as a doc you wont have to live there but there is a decent amount of crime (like all big cities) and there is just something about it that city where I loved it when I was younger but could not go back to live there. Many of my friends are thinking about leaving there because of what I call the skeeze factor. my family is still there but the city has changed a lot over the past few years I dont think for the best.

Cost of living is gianormous, but probably not as high as NYC. Insurance costs for a home are the highest in the country because you need to get windstorm and flood. The major insurance companies cover flood, but Citizen is the only one who covers windstorm. This is for all of Florida, because of the hurricanes that love to hit us full at full strength.

As for Miami alone: it's VERY crowded now, traffic is HORRIBLE and public transportation is non-existent basically (they have a rail system, but it's takes you nowhere), and the population of spanish-only speaking is very high, so working there for me would be challenging. It also has so many gold-diggers and artificial people there now. Plus it gets very hot and humid in Miami. I've lived in Tampa for 4 years now and living half way up the state really makes a difference with the humidity. I love Miami/South Beach to visit and vacation, but it's not for me to live in. My folks are still there so I go back often, but they are looking to move soon. I'd live in Tampa over Miami any day, but that's my personal opinion. :)

I must still be hung over with the long post...:D

Cost of living is gianormous, but probably not as high as NYC. Insurance costs for a home are the highest in the country because you need to get windstorm and flood. The major insurance companies cover flood, but Citizen is the only one who covers windstorm. This is for all of Florida, because of the hurricanes that love to hit us full at full strength.

As for Miami alone: it's VERY crowded now, traffic is HORRIBLE and public transportation is non-existent basically (they have a rail system, but it's takes you nowhere), and the population of spanish-only speaking is very high, so working there for me would be challenging. It also has so many gold-diggers and artificial people there now. Plus it gets very hot and humid in Miami. I've lived in Tampa for 4 years now and living half way up the state really makes a difference with the humidity. I love Miami/South Beach to visit and vacation, but it's not for me to live in. My folks are still there so I go back often, but they are looking to move soon. I'd live in Tampa over Miami any day, but that's my personal opinion. :)

I must still be hung over with the long post...:D

Also in Miami / Dade they have you pay 2% of the price you paid for your home as property tax. This is a HUGE number. As a doc if you drop 500K (which IMO isnt that much for an attending) thats 10K in property taxes.

Its not a bad city IMO but the other thing to keep in mind is that the public school system down there is AWFUL! I am a product of this but SG can tell you. Its a total dump. Only some of the schools and magnet schools are decent. Most people who can afford it send their kids to private schools (which are pretty good) but thats another 8-12K per yr. The best private schools are Miami country day, ransom everglades and a few others but IMO those are the top 2.

Also in Miami / Dade they have you pay 2% of the price you paid for your home as property tax. This is a HUGE number. As a doc if you drop 500K (which IMO isnt that much for an attending) thats 10K in property taxes.

Its not a bad city IMO but the other thing to keep in mind is that the public school system down there is AWFUL! I am a product of this but SG can tell you. Its a total dump. Only some of the schools and magnet schools are decent. Most people who can afford it send their kids to private schools (which are pretty good) but thats another 8-12K per yr. The best private schools are Miami country day, ransom everglades and a few others but IMO those are the top 2.

Yeah, the public school system is really in the dumps and I had to suffer through it. It's not a place I would raise children.

And yeah, property tax is something else. My parents gag when they need to pay it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I smell something.....

THREAD HIJACK!!! Call CTU!

I also grew up in Miami, and agree with the assessments about the traffic, cost of living, and educational system. (btw, I'm a Ransom grad, and cost of tuition now: $19,000! per yr!)

I still love to visit my parents there though.

Ransom.. all i can think of is... that movie with 2 chicks kissing when i think ransom.

matched at northwestern and am pumped despite being preposterously hungover :D :horns: :hungover: :sleep:

UC-Davis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---My #1 choice!!!!!!!!!!
Cal2Lane--Congrats and I can't wait to meet you! I'll be one of your residents. We did really well in the match and you have an amazing group of interns. And, if I may add, very photogenic too. Please let me know if you need anything or have any questions, I'm more than happy to help. We are all very excited! Congrats again!

Congratulations to everyone matching and moving on with life. :)

Miami is a cool place to train and a fun place to live when you are young and single. However, the politics are horrible, the cost of living is high, the roads are getting so crowded that stop and go is becoming the 24 hour norm on many streets, and no one has even moved into the 40k+ housing units that have been proposed with no infrastructure development. There is no real viable public transportation. Miami follows Castro more closely than its own local problems when it votes. Live here for a decade, and you will have an elected official arrested for anything from crack use to hitting his wife in the head with a clay pot (Thanks Mr. Mayor). 10-15% of the city is illegal. 1/3 of the city is below the poverty line.

Miami is poised to become the financial capital of all of Latin America. It is really already happening. Most Latin banks are based out of here. Many of our tourists are South American, and we even have the most Latin music production of any city in the world :D . Living here really is a lot like living in Latin America. If you don't mind that, you may not mind Miami. You've got to love latin culture, because it will be omnipresent anywhere you go within the entire county. If you happen to be a WASP, it takes time to get used to being a minority.

I'm very happy I am going to medical school here, but I will leave when I am done. I have a family, and this is a poor place to raise kids. The schools are either atrocious or highly elite, private, and expensive. I had to relearn algebra in college. Med Mal is HORRIBLE. In high risk specialties, rates can be 10x other cities. I believe that OB/GYNs here at Jackson are the only ones carrying malpractice insurance in three counties. No joke.

read carl hiassen for stranger than fantasy stories about miami, crime, politics, and every day living that probably aren't all that fictional.

but miami does have yuca fries at pollo tropical, guava pastries and cafe con leche, chop-chop at chicken kitchen.

This is our EM match list. We also had an EM/IM at LIJ, and someone from the C/O 2006 that matched at Jacobi.

U Arizona Affil Hosps-AZ*
Emory Univ SOM-GA*
Henry Ford HSC-MI*
U Texas Med Sch-Houston-TX*
Kern Medical Center-CA*x2
Cook County-Stroger Hospital-IL x2
Regions Hosp/HealthPartners-MN*
Madigan Army Med Ctr-WA
Maimonides Med Ctr-NY x2
University of Virginia-VA*
Long Island Jewish Med Ctr-NY*
Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA*
UCLA Medical Center-CA*
Lincoln Medical Ctr-NY*
University Hosp-Cincinnati-OH*
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY*

Check, Miami Vacation=good. Miami living=not so good.

*sigh* its tough having one's bubble burst. And please don't interfere with my hijacking. :)

What are the stars Dr. Will

read carl hiassen for stranger than fantasy stories about miami, crime, politics, and every day living that probably aren't all that fictional.

but miami does have yuca fries at pollo tropical, guava pastries and cafe con leche, chop-chop at chicken kitchen.

OMG, love the chop-chop! I lived in the Chicken Kitchen by UM.

Lots of EM matches there at RF Dr. Will!

What are the stars Dr. Will

I just copied and pasted from our "unofficial" list that is on an excel spread sheet. They mean nothing.

Lots of EM matches there at RF Dr. Will!

Only second to IM. Had double digits in rads, PM&R, and gen. surg also. It was a weird breakdown for us this year.

Oh and BTW...this is for those of you that had to recieve your envelopes yesterday, one at a time, and possibly having to read it to the rest of your classmates. You are all better people than I. It took about 5 minutes for me to get my envelope from the moment they started handing them out. I felt it was absolute torture, both physically and emotionally.

dr.will-

what school are you from?

dr.will-

what school are you from?

Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, formerly Finch University of Health Sciences/The Chicago Medical School.

This is almost what I'd have to say on interviews when my school name would confuse interviewers. :D

lol. I have to say when I saw your classmates name on teh match list I scratched my head trying to figure out what med school that is. :D

Last edited:
Congratulations to all of you! :thumbup:
It's cool that so many of you got U of Cin because it seemed that you all wanted to go there so badly. Well done.

I just got a prelim spot in medicine at Maine Med. Hopefully I will be joining all you EMers next year!

Again, congratulations SDN EMers.
ncc

SWEEEEEEET! Congrats! Your bulletproof vest... er, I mean, PDA is awaiting you in Dr. Mattu's office. Let me know if you've got any questions! Best of luck!

-P

epi,
you just taught me my first Baltimorean jargon. PDA, as in "projectile deterrence article", not the handheld computer everyone expects i bet. can't wait to be issued my gear. see you when i get up there and thanks for :thumbup: the welcome.

Henry Ford!!:D

So my fiancee matched in Ann Arbor in her respective field. Anyone know the area and able to suggest convienant places to live between Ann Arbor and Detriot.

Thanks!!!

I'm heading to Georgetown/WHC :D !!!

Congrats to all!

Congratulations to all of you! :thumbup:
It's cool that so many of you got U of Cin because it seemed that you all wanted to go there so badly. Well done.

I just got a prelim spot in medicine at Maine Med. Hopefully I will be joining all you EMers next year!

Again, congratulations SDN EMers.
ncc

I'm happy that you're somewhere now. One of the people from my school (not an EMer though) still doesn't have a spot.

If anyone looks at the NRMP data, this is the worst year for the couple's match since 1996. Yet strangely, they keep saying that the match rate this year didn't change much. The numbers don't add up for me. There were 200 more MD students this year than last year, but 9% more FMG/IMG. In total, more than 27,000 applying for 21,000 spots.

epi,
you just taught me my first Baltimorean jargon. PDA, as in "projectile deterrence article", not the handheld computer everyone expects i bet. can't wait to be issued my gear. see you when i get up there and thanks for :thumbup: the welcome.

So pleased that you'll be ahead of the game. Here's another pearl: Having your 'duug' get 'banked' is never a good thing. The program hosts an absolutely CANNOT MISS party for the incoming 'terns. The gathering is close to the Eastern Shore; though they'll be plenty of fantastic food and drink, you'd better do some reading on how to crack a crab.

:)

See you there!

i'm from metro detroit. i actually have a friend who's an ortho resident at ford, and his wife is a derm resident at univ. of michigan. they live in canton, MI, which is about mid point between the two hospitals, with easy freeway access to both cities. you should check it out. other cities in the same general vicinity are livonia, plymouth, and redford.

I'll be at Cincy as well! Looks like we have quite the crowd of SNDers! Should be a good 4 years!

A bit late on the post, but it took a some effort for me to find phone service from a safari camp in South Africa to find out where I matched, let alone an internet to reach SDN!

Wow, so how many residents does Cincy take? Seems like everyone wanted it and everyone got it.

12 residents

The reason we all matched there is because we are SNDers. Even the UC PD has been known to post on here before.

12 residents

The reason we all matched there is because we are SNDers. Even the UC PD has been known to post on here before.

Well, I wouldn't say we matched there "because" we are on SDN, but we may have been slightly more informed.

So, this makes 7 of us that have been around here! Looking forward to meeting you all, and not as SolidGold :D

thanks for the advice mighty mouse. We will check it out

Matched at MSU-Sparrow in Lansing. Very excited, my #1. Glad to see MSU still alive in the tourney:D (wish the football team was a little more competative than my high school team...oh well:( ) Congrats to all who matched.

epi,

one more for ya: they don't call it b-town. it's b-more.. great program, congrats!

Here's where we matched, quite a diaspora:
UVA
UCLA Harbor (2)
U of C
Duke
Cincinnati
U of AZ (3)
U of Michigan
UC Davis
U Conn
Denver
Emory
MCW
OHSU
NYU
UNM
Utah
U of Rochester
Mt Sinai

I'll be doing a fellowship at U. at Buffalo starting this year...so all you Buffalo peeps better be nice to me! ;)

Sup y'all.

1st post, but wanted to chime in that I matched at Resurrection (No.1) in case there are any of my fellow residents lurking.

And Valsalva, I go to UNMC and know the staff very well. I don't know if you need any advice, or if you are actually one of my classmates who matched there (Courtney, Josh, Luke?), but let me know if I can help out in any way. You can be my first PM on these boards:love:

Congrats all.

Cheers!