Oh California...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, because only physicians have the knowledge to give medications like Chantix or nicotine patches and counsel on smoking cessation, only physicians can give scopolamine, only physicians can administer vaccines, etc. Pharmacists are just dumb, amirite?
pharmacists are not trained to do the examinations and diagnosis necessary to deal with those things

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think there is any harm if it is controlled. Look at Rogaine. It used to be by Rx. It has real side effects, albeit not really life threatening. Now it's OTC. Similar story for numerous anti-histamines.

pharmacists are not trained to do the examinations and diagnosis necessary to deal with those things
Patient: Doctor, I need some nicotine patches because I want to quit smoking. I need a prescription
Patient: Doctor, I need some meclizine since I'm traveling to the Bahamas next month, can you write me something?
Patient: Doctor, I need my daughter to get her required school vaccines on this list before she starts school.

Yup, a whole lot of examination and diagnosis going on there, that only a physician can do and no one else could possibly even master.

Members don't see this ad :)
Patient: Doctor, I need some nicotine patches because I want to quit smoking. I need a prescription
Patient: Doctor, I need some meclizine since I'm traveling to the Bahamas next month, can you write me something?
Patient: Doctor, I need my daughter to get her required school vaccines on this list before she starts school.

Yup, a whole lot of examination and diagnosis going on there, that only a physician can do and no one else could possibly even master.

if it's not safe enough for OTC, the pharmacist shouldn't be making the prescription

You don't need prescribing rights for otc... The bill is asking for prescribing rights
Limited prescribing rights. You want pharmacists to have no prescribing rights at all, which is more your pocketbook concern than patient safety. Just admit it. Also pharmacists doing these things is not financially realistic, so u have nothing to worry about.

Limited prescribing rights. You want pharmacists to have no prescribing rights at all, which is more your pocketbook concern than patient safety. Just admit it. Also pharmacists doing these things is not financially realistic, so u have nothing to worry about.
You are correct that I don't think pharmacists are trained properly for prescribing. I also think you are arguing quite strongly for something you claim no one will do...

You are correct that I don't think pharmacists are trained properly for prescribing. I also think you are arguing quite strongly for something you claim no one will do...
But teaching your Pharmacology classes for you to learn it, you're ok with, and doing everything as long they don't step on what you think is your turf. Where did I say they won't do it? I said it's not financially realistic on a large scale.

But teaching your Pharmacology classes for you to learn it, you're ok with, and doing everything as long they don't step on what you think is your turf. Where did I say they won't do it? I said it's not financially realistic on a large scale.

Teaching phamacology (something you know) is fine. Diagnosing/evaluating and prescribing things (something you don't know) is not fine