Oh, Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ms2209

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't give me bad news this week...I don't think I can handle it :scared: :scared: !!! Where are my Columbia-aspiring brethren? Join me in the last-minute anxiety :D ! I'm sending you all good luck vibes... :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

decisions go out starting tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, other people :)! We can be in this together - LOL! I've been preoccupied with the anticipation of this decision for the past week, because it suddenly hit me that it's almost here. I've been waiting since October, but it wasn't really painful to wait until recently because I was busy worrying about other schools, interviews, etc. Soon, it'll all be over - and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, heh. Anyway, welcome to the party (I'll bring the cookies) :hardy: !

ms2209 said:
Yay, other people :)! We can be in this together - LOL! I've been preoccupied with the anticipation of this decision for the past week, because it suddenly hit me that it's almost here. I've been waiting since October, but it wasn't really painful to wait until recently because I was busy worrying about other schools, interviews, etc. Soon, it'll all be over - and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, heh. Anyway, welcome to the party (I'll bring the cookies) :hardy: !

I'm in, I'm in - but only if you bring oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm not a fan of chocolate (I know, I'm weird). Saw the man himself (Frantz) last week...he was a bunch of vacant smiles and did his best to keep things tightly under wraps. And oh yes, he does know how much power he holds.

ms2209, we should hopefully get something on Wednesday! AH! Provided, I mean, that all decisions are rendered at the same time - which, I think they will be. I have no proof, mind you, but just think that anything else would be unnecessarily cruel and unusual!

Best of luck, all! We're almost there...

Im in too...I loved that place.

My 15 minute interview about playing rugby was jsut so relaxing and fun....

ajt2003 said:
I'm in, I'm in - but only if you bring oatmeal raisin cookies. I'm not a fan of chocolate (I know, I'm weird). Saw the man himself (Frantz) last week...he was a bunch of vacant smiles and did his best to keep things tightly under wraps. And oh yes, he does know how much power he holds.

ms2209, we should hopefully get something on Wednesday! AH! Provided, I mean, that all decisions are rendered at the same time - which, I think they will be. I have no proof, mind you, but just think that anything else would be unnecessarily cruel and unusual!

Best of luck, all! We're almost there...

I just called, and they aren't sending them out all at the same time.... Don't know if they are splitting up the waitlists/acceptances/rejections.

MiaFLSurf said:
Im in too...I loved that place.

My 15 minute interview about playing rugby was jsut so relaxing and fun....

when i first read this and ajt's posts i thought they meant you were in, as in admitted to the school, rather than meaning you were in the group waiting.

i am also in (the countdown thread, not the school).

oh and miaflsurf, did you interview with frantz? i heard he loves rugby players...

Will they be emailing out stuff as well, or ONLY in the mail?

No, I had an interview with the Dean of Minority Affairs in this special breakfast, interview session that Im sure other Black and Latino students had. She was really really nice.

It honestly took 15 minutes and she told me "you know we love rugby players here."

I honestly had NO IDEA, but it made me feel alot better about my chances.

Are the acceptances sent by courier?

MiaFLSurf said:
Will they be emailing out stuff as well, or ONLY in the mail?

As far as I know, the decisions will be sent out via snail mail only. Also, according to threads from last year, the acceptances came via priority mail (large envelopes). I loved the school too...::sigh:: :)

Don't overdo it with the mailbox checking folks. We're getting a big snowstorm tonight and that is bound to slow things down a bit. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
ms2209 said:
As far as I know, the decisions will be sent out via snail mail only. Also, according to threads from last year, the acceptances came via priority mail (large envelopes). I loved the school too...::sigh:: :)

Ok- Here is a sincere question...

What did you LOVE about Columbia?
Besides for the location (NYC) and the high ranking was there something on the interview day that made you say "wow, this is the place for me"

Don't get me wrong- the name precedes it and I would be proud to go there based on some of the faculty interactions I have had (although I am expecting a rejection).... But I found the interview day uninspiring and the attiutude to be rather stuck up - they let you know they were an Ivy league school, but did little to sell the scholl at all compared to other top tens at which I interviewed

CarleneM said:
when i first read this and ajt's posts i thought they meant you were in, as in admitted to the school, rather than meaning you were in the group waiting.

i am also in (the countdown thread, not the school).

oh and miaflsurf, did you interview with frantz? i heard he loves rugby players...

Haha! That's so funny. Yeah, I'm in....to this tread!

(Zing!)

So, we think acceptances are sent first, right? WL maybe later in the week? Has someone had enough initiative to do a search on this? I would but, well, I'm feeling particularly lazy today. I think it's the snow - that or my tasty Chai latte. Mmmm...

And Rugby = HUGE POINTS. Totally. The man's a nut about the sport. I told him my brother played rugby (which is true), and he was like, "he should apply to Columbia!"

And I was like, "erm, okay. I'll tell him. But in the meantime, can I milk this connection?!"

Apparently not.

ComfortableWolf said:
Don't get me wrong- the name precedes it and I would be proud to go there based on some of the faculty interactions I have had (although I am expecting a rejection).... But I found the interview day uninspiring and the attiutude to be rather stuck up - they let you know they were an Ivy league school, but did little to sell the scholl at all compared to other top tens at which I interviewed

I agree with that....my interview was first thing in the morning, and I had a solid 3+ hours' worth of dead time before the tour/lunch. With nothing scheduled, there was only so much time I could fill by piggybacking with students to their classes and making a mini-trip to Bard with another interviewee. I filled in the gaps by reading the student handbook....aka searching the facebook for people who went to my undergrad (it took a few scans, but I managed to find two or three :p ).

Despite the "neglected" feel to the interview day though, it was hard not to like it. They have NYC, a great public health program, and an amazing view of the Hudson from the Bard lounge. :) What I remember most was sitting in a lecture (to kill time) where maybe less than half of the class showed up. I hadn't thought anything about that, but without my even asking, these two girls leaned over to me and told me that it was the last few days before a test and that the lecture block wasn't the most relevant to what they needed to know--basically they didn't want me to leave with a negative impression. I thought it was cool they made the effort to do that.

Guys, Good Luck!!!!!!
I am rooting for all of you to get in. That would be awesome. :) :)

ajt2003 said:
And Rugby = HUGE POINTS. Totally. The man's a nut about the sport. I told him my brother played rugby (which is true), and he was like, "he should apply to Columbia!"

...but only if you're a guy. I've played rugby all four years of college, was the captain of my team, etc etc, and had heard about the Columbia - rugby connection. But I talked about this to my interviewer, and he was like, 'sorry, bad luck. we only have a men's team.'

:(

ComfortableWolf said:

Besides for the location (NYC) and the high ranking was there something on the interview day that made you say "wow, this is the place for me"

Well, to begin with, I have to state that Columbia was my first interview (all the way back in October), and at least part of my excitement about the school has to do with this fact. That said, there were plenty of things that stuck out during the interview day (at least, for me personally). First, the students were amazing! I had heard and read on SDN interview feedback that they were haughty, but I did not get that sense from them at all. They went out of their way to stop by and chat, and I saw a lot of people from my school there (first-years) who were all very supportive and encouraging. They all seemed passionate about the school and at least, from my perspective, seemed content. One of the most important considerations for me has to be the students at the school, and at Columbia, there seemed to be some level of comraderie and shared passion that definitely didn't stick out at other schools (actually, I think Columbia was the only school that really left a strong impression on me in this regard). Although I agree with you that they did not show us much of the school, our tour guides were really wonderful, and one in particular (a third year) was pretty honest about the positives and negatives of going to Columbia. He definitely did not have an idealized view of the school, but he was still happy with the school overall and content with his decision. I really enjoyed sitting with them over lunch and listening to their advice and answers to all of our questions. The other thing that stuck out to me was the emphasis on outside activities such as music, arts, etc. I play the piano, and most of my interview involved discussing music. I found out that my interviewer was a composer, and he told me an interesting history about one of the pianos in the practice rooms at Columbia and stressed the opportunities available to continue with music at Columbia. I thought this was really cool (for lack of a better word :D ) because although I obviously have a passion for medicine, I also have a lot of interests all over the board, and it seemed to me that Columbia really embraced and encouraged that in its students. Again, this was something that I did not really get from other schools (at least not in a very strong sense).

Just about a month ago, I ran into a Columbia P&S first-year (I recognized her from my classes in college) and asked her about the school, sharing the points that seemed to stick out to me. She basically said that those were the same things that drew her to Columbia - that in fact, the students are very amazing as are the faculty members, and that Columbia leaves time to work on other things - for example, she had worked on a theater production outside of lecture time. She definitely added that the students work very hard, but that they also have time to do other things. Oh, and she also recommended avoiding Bard if at all possible :D .

Wow, sorry for the long-winded response. But in short, I found it interesting that what stuck out to me also stuck out to her and actually proved true at least in her experience. As such, Columbia has to be my top choice. If I am lucky enough to be accepted, I will certainly re-visit the school and try to get a better perspective - after all, at the beginning of the interview circuit, I was just concerned with "getting in somewhere, ANYWHERE" and was not really looking at schools very critically. Now, however, I am looking back on my experiences at various schools and trying to pick out what left an impression on me. I hope that this elucidates why I love Columbia, although I can't really speak for anyone else on this thread!!! Anyway, best of luck ya'll!! :luck:

Guys I'm starting to freak out and second guess my self here. I sent Columbia a letter of interest, not a letter of intent because at the time I was unsure of where I really wanted go. The more I think about it though the more I really want to go there. Do you think I hurt my chances? I received two letters from Franz, one after a thank you note and one after my update/letter of interest. Both said that they were keeping me very much in mind and the latter was handwritten. I'm trying to be optimistic, but what do you guys think. Sorry to bother you all with this but I'm being extremely OCD.

dcham said:
Guys I'm starting to freak out and second guess my self here. I sent Columbia a letter of interest, not a letter of intent because at the time I was unsure of where I really wanted go. The more I think about it though the more I really want to go there. Do you think I hurt my chances? I received two letters from Franz, one after a thank you note and one after my update/letter of interest. Both said that they were keeping me very much in mind and the latter was handwritten. I'm trying to be optimistic, but what do you guys think. Sorry to bother you all with this but I'm being extremely OCD.

dcham! No freaking out allowed! Seriously though, deep breath. I think you've done all that you can do at this stage. I think the fact that you had something handwritten on your thank you letter is a GREAT sign. I think the fact that your numbers are, in a word, ridiculous (!), will not be ignored. We're all at our breaking points. The waiting is just completely overdone. Don't doubt yourself - you've come too far! Wait and see what happens. I'm pulling for you! :luck:

ajt2003 said:
dcham! No freaking out allowed! Seriously though, deep breath. I think you've done all that you can do at this stage. I think the fact that you had something handwritten on your thank you letter is a GREAT sign. I think the fact that your numbers are, in a word, ridiculous (!), will not be ignored. We're all at our breaking points. The waiting is just completely overdone. Don't doubt yourself - you've come too far! Wait and see what happens. I'm pulling for you! :luck:

Thanks ajt. I feel a better now. Had to get all of that out of my system. :oops:

I am really anxious to hear from Columbia. I interviewed with Dr. Frantz also. I think it went really well too (I played rugby in college) but I don't know what my chances are. He kept emphasizing how special everyone was at the school and how they each have so much to contribute. I just sat there thinking how uninteresting I was. haha. But I still loved the school. I thought the students were really cool. I didn't get any bad impressions of them at all.

Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I'm going to have to agree with ajt on this one! dcham, although I can understand the anxiety, trust me, you're in a great position and I don't think you have much to worry about! As for getting the tension out of your system, that's what this thread is all about (that, and cookies...mmmm, cookies), so vent away!!! ;) :) :luck:

ms2209 said:
I'm going to have to agree with ajt on this one! dcham, although I can understand the anxiety, trust me, you're in a great position and I don't think you have much to worry about! As for getting the tension out of your system, that's what this thread is all about (that, and cookies...mmmm, cookies), so vent away!!! ;) :) :luck:

Thanks for the kind words. We'll all know soon enough and until then I'm going be checking my mailbox about 10 times a day.

This is completely random, but I just wanted to say that reading this thread has reminded me of all the hard work we go through for admissions... all the blood sweat and tears, MONEY, waiting, etc... once I got into med school (specifically, Columbia) it was far too easy to get caught up in grumbling about the workload, and worrying about passing anatomy... it is VERY easy to forget the excitement of getting in. It is, I daresay, even easy to take it for granted.

Best of luck to all of you! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Just my random musings...

ComfortableWolf said:

I have to agree; I left Columbia wondering why I was so excited to interview in the first place. However, I didn't find the students stuck-up or haughty, rather down-to-earth with an intense interest in their fellow man. My favorite thing about Columbia (besides name recognition and location) is the P & S clubs, yet strangely enough, despite all my mingling, I didn't find anyone who partook in the clubs :confused: :eek: . I also love their curriculum, but I'm not keen on living in Washington Heights (that's not the Manhattan I tend to dream about).

Truth be told, I was quite disappointed to see Columbia drop from my #1 choice. :thumbdown:

SarahGM said:
This is completely random, but I just wanted to say that reading this thread has reminded me of all the hard work we go through for admissions... all the blood sweat and tears, MONEY, waiting, etc... once I got into med school (specifically, Columbia) it was far too easy to get caught up in grumbling about the workload, and worrying about passing anatomy... it is VERY easy to forget the excitement of getting in. It is, I daresay, even easy to take it for granted.

Best of luck to all of you! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Just my random musings...

Thanks Sarah!! I think what you've said is definitely true, and I think it's true at each stage of the process. Even now, I often lose sight of the fact that I'm very lucky to even have acceptances at all, and to be able to realize my dream - especially after all of the hard work that went into it. Also, on a random side note, I've always meant to thank you for your helpful advice and kind remarks on SDN, they're always very comforting and helpful!!! So, much thanks! :)

I'm having dramatic mood swings waiting for this letter...one second i consider myself a qualified applicant worthy of their waitlist and another second, thoughts of rejection dance in my head..and also, the title of this thread ("Oh, Columbia..") has sparked me to repeat this phrase to the tune of "Oh, Christmas Tree"..."Oh Columbia, Oh Columbia, how lovely are your letters.." Anyway, we'll see what happens later this week..good luck everyone

pynkpep said:
I'm having dramatic mood swings waiting for this letter...one second i consider myself a qualified applicant worthy of their waitlist and another second, thoughts of rejection dance in my head..and also, the title of this thread ("Oh, Columbia..") has sparked me to repeat this phrase to the tune of "Oh, Christmas Tree"..."Oh Columbia, Oh Columbia, how lovely are your letters.." Anyway, we'll see what happens later this week..good luck everyone

LMFAO!!! I was about to go get some shut-eye, but I had to respond to this post. I didn't even think of the reference as I was creating the thread, but indeed it works nicely ;) - good luck to you!!! :luck: :luck:

Happy Columbia Decision Day!

*Resume being angsty and nervous*

T'is all.

Wow, was it really a year ago that I was in you all's shoes? Could luck to everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Any WashU undergrads or grads awaiting Columbia decisions? Lemme know. Just curious. :)

Today's the day!!! Let the incessant mailbox checking begin... ;)
Good luck!!! :luck: :luck:

JulianCrane said:
Wow, was it really a year ago that I was in you all's shoes? Could luck to everyone! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Any WashU undergrads or grads awaiting Columbia decisions? Lemme know. Just curious. :)

I'm at Washu right now, good to know they let in at least one of us in previous years, I was starting to think that they only take ivies.

yayaya! go columbia!!! good luck to you all!!!!! :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

At times like these, I almost regret giving my home address (versus my school address) to AMCAS. Then again, perhaps given my current state, it's for the best! :scared:

ms2209 said:
At times like these, I almost regret giving my home address (versus my school address) to AMCAS. Then again, perhaps given my current state, it's for the best! :scared:

I sometimes also regret giving the home address to AMCAS and letting my parents have all the fun (or displeasure, depending on the letter ;)) with opening my med school stuff....but then I remember my disdain for past experiences with campus mail and that there would probably wouldn't even be anything to rip into if I used my campus address for anything of significance! :p

bidster said:
I sometimes also regret giving the home address to AMCAS and letting my parents have all the fun (or displeasure, depending on the letter ;)) with opening my med school stuff....but then I remember my disdain for past experiences with campus mail and that there would probably wouldn't even be anything to rip into if I used my campus address for anything of significance! :p

LOL, tell me about it...our campus mail is so terrible. It takes like over a week for them to put stuff in our mailbox (and I'm not even talking about mail from states outside of the Northeast)!!! :rolleyes: It's really pretty pathetic...plus, they have a record of losing things. Then again, depending on the decision, maybe this wouldn't be such a drawback :smuggrin: ...

Wait a minute, guys and gals. I think I spoke too soon - Columbia MAILS decisions today, right? Well, acceptances at least. So, earliest we would get them (if! we get them) is tomorrow then, yes? (Assuming you live near NYC)

Darn it.

I've been worrying needlessly all afternoon. There's plenty of time for that tomorrow.

Bumpity Bump with another bit o'luck ;)

pynkpep said:

same here!!!! one second i'm like, "i TOTALLY have a shot," the next minute i'm like, "WHO AM I KIDDING!?!?" :laugh: i wish they'd move beyond this snail mail nonsense, sigh.

good luck everyone!

Mail where I live is incredibly slow so I dont expect anything till friday at the earliest (argh!). It will be fun watching you all post your acceptances here though :).

i'm out in california! maybe it'll get here by friday? but probably saturday.

good luck to everyone again! :luck:

I didn't really have anything to say, but posting is a good way to relieve the tension. Well just a couple of days left until that letter winds its way up to Washington! Good luck everyone. Don't jack my seat!

aprilshyla said:
same here!!!! one second i'm like, "i TOTALLY have a shot," the next minute i'm like, "WHO AM I KIDDING!?!?" :laugh: i wish they'd move beyond this snail mail nonsense, sigh.

LOL, that was me all today, especially while running around the track (ironically to try and relieve tension...yeah, right)! I think PhotoMD is right...maybe posting messages is the way to go ;) !

What do all of you think about Columbia's "class cohesiveness"? I know they have the P&S Club and encourage outside activities, but how much of a community exists among the students? I feel like NYC can be a very lonely place since there are so many people, and so much going on. I didn't really get a good feel for the kind of student atmosphere when I was there (my tour guide was...bizarre at best).

Any thoughts/opinions on the topic would be appreciated.

acknowledging my withdrawal. It was signed by Dr. Andrew Franz himself. I had five minutes of hoping to God that I had made the right decision by withdrawing. Then I got over it.

Here's hoping for the best for you all.

Rugger81 said:
What do all of you think about Columbia's "class cohesiveness"? I know they have the P&S Club and encourage outside activities, but how much of a community exists among the students? I feel like NYC can be a very lonely place since there are so many people, and so much going on. I didn't really get a good feel for the kind of student atmosphere when I was there (my tour guide was...bizarre at best).

Any thoughts/opinions on the topic would be appreciated.

Actually, I partly touched on this earlier in the thread, but class cohesiveness was one of the things that drew me to Columbia. I know a couple of students who are first-years at P&S, and they all speak highly of their classmates and cite that as one of the best things about going to P&S. Although one of the girls with whom I spoke told me to avoid Bard, she did say that one of the advantages of living there was being able to interact with her classmates and forming a strong bond. I hope this helps somewhat!

GuyLaroche said:
acknowledging my withdrawal. It was signed by Dr. Andrew Franz himself. I had five minutes of hoping to God that I had made the right decision by withdrawing. Then I got over it.

Here's hoping for the best for you all.

hey mr laroche, congrats on duke duke! :D

ms2209 said:
Actually, I partly touched on this earlier in the thread, but class cohesiveness was one of the things that drew me to Columbia. I know a couple of students who are first-years at P&S, and they all speak highly of their classmates and cite that as one of the best things about going to P&S. Although one of the girls with whom I spoke told me to avoid Bard, she did say that one of the advantages of living there was being able to interact with her classmates and forming a strong bond. I hope this helps somewhat!

Thanks, that is good to hear. But what did she mean by avoiding Bard? It didn't seem like the greatest place to live, but what other options are there? Rent in NYC is outrageous.