Oh, Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And to hopefully ease some of the waiting pain....

I just got my Columbia acceptance today (I'm in D.C. - it was mailed out on Friday)

Don't give up hope!

Members don't see this ad.

kikkoman said:
And to hopefully ease some of the waiting pain....

I just got my Columbia acceptance today (I'm in D.C. - it was mailed out on Friday)

Don't give up hope!

Wow, FRIDAY. That makes me feel a little better. Congratulations to you!!!

jankanator said:
Why Why Why!!!!

Do Columbia and Cornell purposely schedule their second looks on the same weekend?
that totally sucks :thumbdown: anyway of attending both since they're both in the same city?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you bidster that it is somewhat more convenient since it reduces the cost to get to NYC, but now it seems like I will be running around the whole weekend!! I will definitely do my best to attend both, but now I have to somehow decide what parts of the weekends to go to where and coordinate the transportation between the two. Maybe I should start a thread about this . . .

jankanator said:
I agree with you bidster that it is somewhat more convenient since it reduces the cost to get to NYC, but now it seems like I will be running around the whole weekend!! I will definitely do my best to attend both, but now I have to somehow decide what parts of the weekends to go to where and coordinate the transportation between the two. Maybe I should start a thread about this . . .
yea go ahead, i'd be curious to know how you plan on doing it

just got the boot from columbia! yay!

Does anyone know when Columbia usually sends out financial aid packages? Also what is the procedure for asking for additional aid (i'm very very poor and worried about having too many loans, also i got into UTSW with pretty much a free ride but really want to go to Columbia)?

dcham said:
Does anyone know when Columbia usually sends out financial aid packages? Also what is the procedure for asking for additional aid (i'm very very poor and worried about having too many loans, also i got into UTSW with pretty much a free ride but really want to go to Columbia)?

mm i dont remember when exactly, but they give pretty good aid if u do actually need it. let's put put this way, it was cheaper for me to go here than my state school (SUNY).

bonnie

i got my letter in atlanta on saturday. waitlist.

it was dated 3/1 but postmarked 3/2 in nyc

missbonnie said:
mm i dont remember when exactly, but they give pretty good aid if u do actually need it. let's put put this way, it was cheaper for me to go here than my state school (SUNY).

bonnie

Yeah... it was cheaper than my state school (UNC). I got my package at revisit (I stopped by financial services).

About the two revisits... last year ours was Thurs/Fri... are you sure they overlap?

jankanator said:
To Those Accepted:

Can someone tell me when second look is? I can't find anything in my packet about it. Is it on a separate sheet of paper?

Revisit is actually April 14th and 15th (not 16th). See you there!

lulubean said:
Revisit is actually April 14th and 15th (not 16th). See you there!

Who runs the revisit weekend? Is it mostly administration oriented, or do a lot of first and second years participate?

Just wondering if we get to hang out with some more current P&S students.

Rugger81 said:
Who runs the revisit weekend? Is it mostly administration oriented, or do a lot of first and second years participate?

Just wondering if we get to hang out with some more current P&S students.

Here is what the revisit invite says:

Highlights will include:
-Rooftop BBQ
-Lunch w/ faculty
-Tours and small group Q&A w/ students
-Panel discussions
-Curriculum presentations

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
lulubean said:
Here is what the revisit invite says:

Highlights will include:
-Rooftop BBQ
-Lunch w/ faculty
-Tours and small group Q&A w/ students
-Panel discussions
-Curriculum presentations

Hope that helps!

It's run by the admissions office but plenty of us will be there. You'll meet us at the BBQ (free food always gets us ...) and you'll come out with us at night if you wish - usually to some bar on the upper west side. I think a lot of you will also opt to be hosted by one of us as well.

Bonnie

I got the waitlist ("highly ranked"....how personal! :rolleyes: ) today--a bit surprising since I had prepped myself all weekend for rejection! I don't have the letter in front of me and am hesitant to call my parents again with more letter-reading craziness (oh yeah...there *is* a limit to unconditional love, it ends with their interpretation that you love the mailbox more than them :p ). Can anyone tell me if there's a deadline on the card we have to return for us to hold our spot? I can't physically access it until I go home for break this weekend. I'm a little unsure of what to do, but until then, I'm going to think hard about whether Cornell is a better fit for me or if I really need to be in NYC via Columbia.

In any case, best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear!!!! :luck:

Finally, Columbia got around to rejecting me! Now I can finally sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Here's to hearing good news from Cornell or Yale for me and to whatever school you want to hear from! :hardy:

DianaLynne said:
Finally, Columbia got around to rejecting me! Now I can finally sleep at night. :rolleyes:

Here's to hearing good news from Cornell or Yale for me and to whatever school you want to hear from! :hardy:
so sorry, can't understand how they didn't accept you; it's surrely their loss. It truly is a crapshoot.

bidster said:
Mail finally seeped into GA and I got the waitlist ("highly ranked"....how personal! :rolleyes: ) today--a bit surprising since I had prepped myself all weekend for rejection! I don't have the letter in front of me and am hesitant to call my parents again with more letter-reading craziness (oh yeah...there *is* a limit to unconditional love, it ends with their interpretation that you love the mailbox more than them :p ). Can anyone tell me if there's a deadline on the card we have to return for us to hold our spot? I can't physically access it until I go home for break this weekend. I'm a little unsure of what to do, but until then, I'm going to think hard about whether Cornell is a better fit for me or if I really need to be in NYC via Columbia.

In any case, best of luck to those of you still waiting to hear!!!! :luck:

you have until May 30th to reply.

yea it's too bad i read SDN or I'd feel all special with the "very highly ranked" BS.

Im confused. Is this a thread for people who are waiting to hear or are waitlisted? Or is this the accepted thread. I didn't see a P&S Class of 2009 thread yet.

del

Last edited:
Lemmiwinks said:
Im confused. Is this a thread for people who are waiting to hear or are waitlisted? Or is this the accepted thread. I didn't see a P&S Class of 2009 thread yet.

START ONE UP I GOT QUESTIONS

Lemmiwinks said:

As fas as I'm concerned, this thread looked like a good opportunity for me to whine to myself and let you all hear it. +pity+

I feel better now. And I hope that all of you folks get the wonderful good news! :luck:

I'm outta here, I'll go lurk around some other threads now.

IndyZX said:
got my waitlist letter today. ive kept a pretty stiff upper lip so far, but that was the most heartbreaking thing ive gotten in the mail all year.

[sigh]

:( I'm sorry Indy! From the looks of this thread they've waitlisted and even rejected some amazing people...remember you're one of them and that's still good for getting *off* the waitlist and in at other places as well :)

Acherona said:
you have until May 30th to reply.

yea it's too bad i read SDN or I'd feel all special with the "very highly ranked" BS.

don't you mean March, not May?

has anyone else not heard back yet?

columbia, just send me my rejection already. get it over with. :)

So, I am slightly delusional and want to write a letter to Dr. Frantz asking for reconsideration, but I am afraid that if I sent it to the admissions office, it will just be shoveled in my file and never be seen by anybody.

Should I email it to him? Any suggestions?