Oh, Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rugger81 said:
Thanks, that is good to hear. But what did she mean by avoiding Bard? It didn't seem like the greatest place to live, but what other options are there? Rent in NYC is outrageous.

Well, she had a really lousy experience because her room and another student's room had bed-bug infestations (yuck :( ) and they were having trouble getting rid of them. Also, she said that there were issues with the water as well - hot water ran out or something like that? She suggested either looking for an apartment with some other matriculating students or trying to get in the Towers, which she said are much better in terms of living situation. However, I have to agree with you - it seems tough to manage, because indeed, NYC rent is insane.

Members don't see this ad.

ms2209 said:
Well, she had a really lousy experience because her room and another student's room had bed-bug infestations (yuck :( ) and they were having trouble getting rid of them. Also, she said that there were issues with the water as well - hot water ran out or something like that? She suggested either looking for an apartment with some other matriculating students or trying to get in the Towers, which she said are much better in terms of living situation. However, I have to agree with you - it seems tough to manage, because indeed, NYC rent is insane.

Gotcha. All good reasons! What do you know about getting into the Towers as first years? I heard it's do-able, but I also heard it's difficult. I feel very out of the loop.

What are the towers? And I thought Bard was nice, definitely a dorm, but a good way to get to know your fellow med students. I would feel out of the loop living somewhere else, especially since i don't know anyone in NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rugger81 said:
Gotcha. All good reasons! What do you know about getting into the Towers as first years? I heard it's do-able, but I also heard it's difficult. I feel very out of the loop.

Well I'm glad you guys asked :)

I'm a first year who recently moved out of Bard. Bard was nice for that college-y, feel good, get to know your classmates feel. But otherwise, I feel like it was the pits. This coming from the girl w/ the biggest room on the floor.

I'm turning 25 this summer, and after having taken some time off after college to work in the real world, coming back to dorm life was a step down. I'm much happier with my arrangement in Tower 3. I love my kitchen! :love:

You can most likely get a place in the towers your first year if you are in the city... that's because you're nearby and can both monitor the housing situation and move in on a whim if need be.

Also, if you're coming to revisit in April, you'll most likely be hit up by some first years who are going away for the summer (like me!) and want someone to sublet their tower room for June-Aug. Those who are accepted will most likely receive some info in the packet about summer research (but that's all I'm going to say about that... acceptance packages should be a surprise!).

:luck: :luck: :luck:

It's March 2nd, the first day possible acceptances could be received -- best of luck to everyone!

Mateodaspy said:
It's March 2nd, the first day possible acceptances could be received -- best of luck to everyone!
Amen to that!

Just a little early morning bumpity, bump, bump!

Good luck to all!

Good luck everyone! I'm off to class... :(

Rugger, I'm afraid I don't know much about getting into the Towers as first-years. The only thing my friend told me was that one could try to find a roommate in the Towers or something along these lines. However, I think SarahGM did an awesome job (as usual :) ) explaining everything so thanks Sarah!

is anyone getting their mail in atlanta?

i figure it will probably get there on friday, but maybe tomorrow. :luck:

Oooo...the suspense is killing me! Someone post with an acceptance, please!!! In the meantime, maybe we can amuse ourselves with really bad science jokes - I'll start with my fav one:

What do you call a tooth in a glass of water?

A one molar solution :D .

SarahGM said:
Well I'm glad you guys asked :)

I'm turning 25 this summer, and after having taken some time off after college to work in the real world, coming back to dorm life was a step down. I'm much happier with my arrangement in Tower 3. I love my kitchen! :love:

You can most likely get a place in the towers your first year if you are in the city... that's because you're nearby and can both monitor the housing situation and move in on a whim if need be.

:luck: :luck: :luck:
SarahGM was the best next-door-neighbor a guy in Bard could ever have, though she has yet to offer me a meal in her "kitchen! :love:" She abandoned me for nicer housing.

To all y'alls applying: Good luck! Come to second-look weekend; it will be amazing!

Some words of advice: Don't avoid Bard, embrace it.
Then move to the towers. =)

Rager
(My first post in months)

rme04 said:
is anyone getting their mail in atlanta?

i figure it will probably get there on friday, but maybe tomorrow. :luck:

I'm also waiting it out in atlanta, although mail technically goes to home in a different GA city. I'm just glad the snow yesterday didn't cripple atlanta like it normally would or we'd be waiting much longer!!! :p

Here's hoping for closure either tomorrow or Friday. Good luck with the mailbox-stalking today to you people on the front lines, whether you're in NY or close to it!!!! :luck:

in atlanta too. campus mail at my school is incredibly slow, so I probably won't find out til next monday at the earliest.

Do you all know for sure that it is mailed by priority? What if it is just regular? I can't wait another week!

Members don't see this ad :)
If they do things the same way they did last year, then it should be priority mail. However, I'm not completely sure that's what they're doing this year. I guess we'll find out soon (but not soon enough for me :scared: )!

dcham said:
Do you all know for sure that it is mailed by priority? What if it is just regular? I can't wait another week!

Even by regular it shouldn't take *too* long. I spent some time in NY a few years ago and mailing stuff to GA always only took 2-3 days tops, regular mail, if that's any consolation.

Oh where, oh where can the mailman be? Oh where, oh where can s/he beeeeeeee?

Just a little early afternoon bump!

Hopefully it'll bring some luck!

I live in NYC <central queens to be exact> and I havent gotten anything from Columbia in today's mail. Mail from manhattan usually takes 2-3 days tops. Assuming they mailed at the end of the day on Tuesday, I'm not expecting anything until tommorrow

Troyoncello26 said:
I live in NYC <central queens to be exact> and I havent gotten anything from Columbia in today's mail. Mail from manhattan usually takes 2-3 days tops. Assuming they mailed at the end of the day on Tuesday, I'm not expecting anything until tommorrow

really.... i didnt get anything in the mail today either (im in suffolk county), I kinda took that as a sign that Im not wanted.... :scared: :( but if you say that we should hold out hope for tomorrow... maybe i wont be cracking that bottle of "rejection" champagne just yet, here's to tomorrow!

waitlisted... its more than I expected. Good luck to everyone else who's waiting on Columbia

Nitro, Where do you live? thanks :)

Nitro said:
waitlisted... its more than I expected. Good luck to everyone else who's waiting on Columbia

Nitro-- Did it come by regular mail or priority mail? Are you going to lobby for a seat? Sorry to hear about your waitlist, but if it's more than you were expecting, then congratulations!

Nitro said:

You're the first person who has heard from Columbia -- where do you live and how was the mail sent (priority, regular first class, etc.?) BTW, sorry about the waitlist -- I hear they take a lot of people off it for the incoming class, so don't worry just yet.

Nitro said:

I guess I'll ask the obvious question:

Where do you live?
You got this info through snail mail correct?

ms2209 said:
Actually, I partly touched on this earlier in the thread, but class cohesiveness was one of the things that drew me to Columbia. I know a couple of students who are first-years at P&S, and they all speak highly of their classmates and cite that as one of the best things about going to P&S. Although one of the girls with whom I spoke told me to avoid Bard, she did say that one of the advantages of living there was being able to interact with her classmates and forming a strong bond. I hope this helps somewhat!

Why not live in Bard? What's wrong with it?

there are two people on mdapplicants.com that have been accepted to the md/phd program at columbia. I think they have had that posted for a while now, though. were decisions for the mstp/md/phd sent out earlier?

on a side note, i have been so unproductive at work this week. i just recently discovered this forum, and now all i do is read it.

:scared: :scared: :rolleyes:

I live in New York City (well, my dad is the one who got the letter at home in Queens) and I think it came by regular mail.. Normal size envelope and all that

rme04 said:
there are two people on mdapplicants.com that have been accepted to the md/phd program at columbia. I think they have had that posted for a while now, though. were decisions for the mstp/md/phd sent out earlier?

on a side note, i have been so unproductive at work this week. i just recently discovered this forum, and now all i do is read it.

:scared: :scared: :rolleyes:

a piece of advice If you can, STOP reading the forum right now! It is ridiculously addictive and a tremendous time waster- A friend rccomended I check out this site for the interview feed back and I have been hooked ever since- it is truly a good way to drive yourself insane :D :scared:

the "very highly ranked but that we are unable at this time to offer you a place in the next class" mail comes in normal first class mail.

This interview was one of my better ones, so I'm rather disappointed.

(back to drafting a letter detailing my Rugby prowess.)

sweatybrain said:
the "very highly ranked but that we are unable at this time to offer you a place in the next class" mail comes in normal first class mail.

Hey, SB - I'm sorry to hear that!

I just checked my mail - NOTHING from Columbia. I live, literally, 60 blocks from the school. Rgh. What's going on?!

Ack!! This is too nerve-wracking!!! Congrats to Rugger, that's awesome!!! :luck: Nitro and SB, sorry to hear about the w/l but all is certainly not lost! You've still got a great shot at acceptance! Ughh, this is killing me...I probably won't get anything until tomorrow at the earliest because I'm having stuff sent home :( ...

Hi All-

My parents live in MI, and my mother told me that almost no mail came today (med school or otherwise). So certain parts of the midwest seem to be experiencing mail delays because of the recent snow storm. I guess that means more waiting for the Columbia letters for those of us who live in the midwest.

Ugh. :(

sweatybrain said:

sorry, i was sure you'd be accepted; you interviewed everywhere so early. But hey a wl is better than a rejection so there's still hope!

and here it begins, the waitlist madness of Columbia for the class of 2009.

no news for me in NC today..... :sleep:

alec689 said:
Hi All-

My parents live in MI, and my mother told me that almost no mail came today (med school or otherwise). So certain parts of the midwest seem to be experiencing mail delays because of the recent snow storm. I guess that means more waiting for the Columbia letters for those of us who live in the midwest.

nooooooooooooooooooooooo :mad:

criminallyinane said:
Columbia... you're breakin' my heart.
You're shakin' my confidence daily.
Ooooh, Columbia.
I'm down on my knees.
I'm begging you please, to come home.
Come on home.

CECILIA

Okay, so does anyone know if Columbia's rejecting post-interview? Maybe this year because of AMCAS? Or did they always (pre-AMCAS)?

I thought Columbia (like Penn) was one of those different level/teirs waitlisting schools (1st, 2nd, 3rd) - and didn't reject post-interview.

Alas, perhaps I am mistakin'.

Sigh.

It MAY not be so big a stretch to think that perhaps they are sending out letters according to interview date. Just a thought...

criminallyinane said:
Columbia... you're breakin' my heart.
You're shakin' my confidence daily.
Ooooh, Columbia.
I'm down on my knees.
I'm begging you please, to come home.
Come on home.

:laugh: I like it!

Anyone knows whether Columbia rank applicants on their waitlist?? Here's the text of my WL letter, transcribed to the best of my ability during this period of low self-esteem...3 WLs in a row :(

Dear Sweaty:

Now that the evaluation of applicants for our next entering class has been essentially completed, we find that your application falls in the category of being very highly ranked, but that we are unable at this time to offer you a place in the next entering class.

From experience, we anticipate that in the coming weeks and months some places in that class will become available for any one of a number of reasons. To fill these places as they become vacant, we consult a "list of alternates", made up of highly ranked applicants who have accepted the status of an alternate in regard to our next class.

The rank assigned your application by our Committee (;)) clearly entitles you to this status and so we are offering it to you now. By the date indicated below, will you please let us know whether you accept this offer? A form for your reply have been enclosed.

March xx, 2005

As we are both interested in seeing that any vacancies in the class that may develop are filled as promptly as possible, please be assured that we will let you know as quickly as we can if we have a place in the class for you.

Sincerely,

Andrew G. Frantz

While I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice, I'm pretty much resigned to a rejection/WL given that I've been WLed at this many schools. what should be my next move?
i) write lots of letters of interest
ii) call Dr. Frantz and request a second interview (is there a direct number or do I call the office?
iii) Lather, rinse, repeat.
I'd be grateful for any advice.

alec689 said:
Hi All-

Mail in MI takes FOREVER!!!! aaaargh!!! and its driving me nuts.

Not to be discouraging- but if it hasn't made it through ny and in the neighboring states- i'm less than a two hour drive from columbia... miama and atl might take a little bit. So don't give up hope if you don't hear tomorrow!!!

Someone asked about numbers of interviews- Columbia traditionally interviews around 1000.

Best of luck and Congrats to those who got in already!!!

It wouldnt be so bad if it were just columbia (which probably wont come till Saturday at the earliest) but I'm holding tight on a few other schools that sent out letters this week. Truthfully, I guess Im just impatient. I can deal with rejections but waiting stinks.

el: ooh yes i know that feeling well. i'm trying to dwell on columbia to distract myself from another school that i personally am more excited about that i could be hearing from tomorrow- only if it's good news.. eee

sockandmittens said:
Not to be discouraging- but if it hasn't made it through ny and in the neighboring states- i'm less than a two hour drive from columbia... miama and atl might take a little bit.

I suspect as much, but nothing wrong with wishful thinking :) Hopefully it gets to you tomorrow though so we know the USPS is on top of it!

I'm in "distraction" mode too--as long as two other non-rolling schools aren't saying anything till later March, I'm going to be in anxietyland for a while more. I just want to finalize my options so I can stop speculating about next year and start making decisions and planning.

socs: Does it start with a "D" and rhyme with Fluke cause if so then I'm feeling your pain... but I guess a certain california school is also sending this week so its craziness all around. I've been trying to get myself ready for the coming month o' rejections (cause hey, everyone recieves at least few, right?) but there are a few schools that I'm really hoping for, which makes life a little harder than it has to be.

If I just get one that is more than enough, though. I dont need a thousand accepts, just one that I'm really excited about.

OK, yeah. I just checked myself and I do sound like a jerk. I got an accept. Im happy. The whole thing is just making me neurotic. I'd rather just get my rejections and accepts now, deal with it, and move on.

I'm just another crazy SDNer I guess.

[edit] thats not a columbia acceptance though! no word from them yet here in MI. sorry for the false alarm.

Is this whole thing driving anyone else insane? I just realized that I've been checking SDN every hour.....absurd.

dcham said:
Is this whole thing driving anyone else insane? I just realized that I've been checking SDN every hour.....absurd.

I don't know about you, but I passed the insanity threshold quite a ways back, unfortunately. Please let me receive a decision tomorrow!!! ::keeping fingers crossed::
Good luck everyone! :luck: