Oh, Columbia...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats everyone!

For those that are waitlisted, don't give up - several classmates got in via waitlist and the secret is to get a 2nd interview/really pushing to get in by saying how much you want to be here. Knowing someone here that can pull for you will also help.

Definitely come to 2nd look - Many classmates have said this is what clinched it for them - when they met their future classmates.

Please feel free to PM me with any questions.

Bonnie

Members don't see this ad.

Where is there info about second look? Was this in our acceptance packet?

ms2209 said:
LOL, ellia, you're awesome! I am sending good luck vibes your way - you're so level-headed and thoughtful. Best of luck!!! (Incidentally, I agree with you - I think today's the day - for better or for worse!)

Awww. :D Thanks. But you wouldnt think I was that level headed if you saw me at my mailbox though. It went a little something like this:

Nooooooooo!!!! [wail of utter despair]

Another day without any info from any school any where. sigh. maybe tomorrow?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our webmaster put a nice little note for you '09ers on our class website recently... thought I'd pass it on!

www.ps2008.com

jankanator said:
Where is there info about second look? Was this in our acceptance packet?

Jankanator, it's inside the acceptance packet. It's on April 14th and April 15th

Waitlist...
If you need me, I'll be crying my eyes out in my room :( :(

ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

aww come on. for weeks you've showed us support and kept us excited (i have been quietly reading, getting caught up in the countdown). its NOT the end. write to frantz and tell him how much you LOVE :love: columbia.

i was waitlisted too.....

(p.s. I think we met at sinai...remember your mom's name thing?)

ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

sorry to hear that, man. You are truly one of my favorite SDNers and I hope you get into P&S. Hopefully, next week will bring the type of news that will allow me to withdraw my spot.

ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

so sorry :( and the same to chumpana but i hear the waitlist is very active so send in more stuff and keep in touch with Frantz and things very likely could turn around.

hey ya'll...just got my flat-out rejection in Boston today...it's cool though..i don't really think NYC is for me...strange though..since my interviewe rbasically assured me that i'd get in..it was my 2nd time applying to columbia and i guess they just hate me thru and thru..anyway, for those waiting for spots..rest assured that i'm not monopolizing any of them..best of luck :luck: ..i'm outta this thread! :D

Psycho Doctor said:
so sorry :( and the same to chumpana but i hear the waitlist is very active so send in more stuff and keep in touch with Frantz and things very likely could turn around.

thanks psycho :)

I was kinda expecting it... made it much easier to deal with

Members don't see this ad :)
ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

ms2209 I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. I've really appreciated all of you advice and kind words and it would be a pleasure to be your classmate. Best of luck with waitlist and keep us posted.

ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

rejected...see you're better off than some...much love and work that waitlist girl!!!!

ms2209 said:
Waitlist...

sorry to hear that. i was really rooting for you to get in :(

but it's not over yet...take everyone's advice and harrass Dr. Frantz with your love of P&S!

YOU NEVER KNOW!

Hey ms, I feel your pain - waitlist on this end, too. Blah.

WL for me too... Although they definitely did a good job of letting us down easy
Here's to May 15th or whenever we can expect any sort of movement off this alternate list.

still waiting patiently in brooklyn NY. what's up with this? (hope it's not like my columbia interview invite, which arrived in one of those plastic envelopes the post office puts your mail in when they completely mangle it or run over it with a mail truck...)

Okay, after 2 teary hours, I've gained enough composure to return...LOL! Thanks everyone on this thread for your kind words. I really appreciate your support, I'm so lucky to have you all there for me, I can only hope I've been able to provide the same for you. Sorry to have been such a downer...I guess it's not the "kiss of death" completely, but reading the waitlist threads from years past sort of freaked me out. I'll have to pick up the pieces of my broken self and move on...
ajt, I'm sorry about your w/l as well...I feel your pain :D .
chumpana, I remember you from Sinai! Sorry about your w/l as well, but thanks for your support. I'll try to return to my chipper state as soon as possible...hehe ;)

Has anyone not heard yet? I'm about to drive down to the city and ask them myself if I don't hear from them soon. I suppose I'll try and find something to do with myself until tomorrow...

Realest said:
Has anyone not heard yet? I'm about to drive down to the city and ask them myself if I don't hear from them soon. I suppose I'll try and find something to do with myself until tomorrow...

still waiting in atlanta. not looking good.

out in california and no news yet.

yaldekab said:
out in california and no news yet.

got the columbia waitlist letter today in california (by sf). postmarked March 1.

ramblinwreckie said:
still waiting in atlanta.

Ditto....I will turn cartwheels if ANY news makes its way to GA tomorrow, just so this week--apparently "round-1-of-non-rolling-decisions" week--can end already.

I have a fedex express envelope from Columbia to pick up on Monday here in Canada (I guess they used Fedex for those of us abroad since USPS priority isn't an option). I am really honored to be accepted to Columbia, but I am 99% sure that I will be withdrawing. Good luck to those of you still waiting for a decision, and to those on the waitlist!

:) Treg

Sitting here in Seattle waiting for something to arrive. Since some Californians have received news, I suspect tomorrow is the day. As someone said earlier, decisions were mailed out Mar. 1, 2, and 3. So everyone in the nation ought to have something if it was a Mar. 1 decision (tomorrow at the latest). Good luck to all those who love Columbia!

nothing in MI. which you'd think would be close.

ms2209 said:
Okay, after 2 teary hours, I've gained enough composure to return...LOL! Thanks everyone on this thread for your kind words. I really appreciate your support, I'm so lucky to have you all there for me, I can only hope I've been able to provide the same for you. Sorry to have been such a downer...I guess it's not the "kiss of death" completely, but reading the waitlist threads from years past sort of freaked me out. I'll have to pick up the pieces of my broken self and move on...
ajt, I'm sorry about your w/l as well...I feel your pain :D .
chumpana, I remember you from Sinai! Sorry about your w/l as well, but thanks for your support. I'll try to return to my chipper state as soon as possible...hehe ;)

ms I'm so sorry to hear about the w/l (ajt and chumpana too). Its ok to have down momenets, (or in my case, eat cookies) but just remember that its NOT a rejection. There's a long time and a lot of waitlist motion before next august so keep your chin up. If you can express to the adcoms half the interest/excitement that you show on the forums, they would be insane not to take you (at least judging from what they say they're looking for).

I got waitlisted.

ellia08 said:
nothing in MI. which you'd think would be close.

Yeah, no news for me either in MI - although my parents left for a week starting yesterday so the letter could have come today. I guess I'll just have another week of waiting until they get back from spring breatk... :( Not feeling good about this one though.

Congrats to all those accepted so far! :D

Rejection....only reason I am not quiting my research job at columbia on Monday and telling them to go **** themselves is because I love my mentor. It is strange I thought my interview was one of my best ever. Goes to show how much that counted. Argh that is the end of this thread for me...best of luck to all waiting.

does anyone else find it odd that as doctors we will be making life or death decisions, but can't see curse words here?

jjmack said:
Rejection....only reason I am not quiting my research job at columbia on Monday and telling them to go **** themselves is because I love my mentor. It is strange I thought my interview was one of my best ever. Goes to show how much that counted. Argh that is the end of this thread for me...best of luck to all waiting.

anyone in from vermont? did you get the Ellis fellowship application? what's the deal? And how about that one for people who speak estonian? random

Yay, P&S 2009!! Come to revisit weekend in April. It will be a lot of fun. Any questions, just PM me or whatnot. :)

Paraphrashing Sparkyman, I was so highly qualified that I was rejected.

That's what I get for asking if people get rejected, I became the walking proof...

I am so jealous of the people on the waitlist, at least you have hope on your side.

Best of luck :)

hey - haven't seen my letter yet but heard from my roommate that it's a thin envelope. oh well. :rolleyes:

edit: he just opened it and it's a rejection. boohoo.

Why don't we have mail delivered on Sundays?! I was watching Anger Management to distract myself this afternoon and yes it's stupid, but I saw Jack Nicholson wearing a Columbia sweatshirt and was reminded of the mail and thought it might be a sign so of course I run out there and see a big white envelope and my eyes raced to upper left hand corner to see "commencement info" laughing back at me. Maybe admissions decided I wasn't even worth a letter and used my app to roll a spliff.

Impatiently waiting...

Btw Treg, you just made about 100 or more Columbia-obsessed friends with your last post...

Still no mail here... :mad: I'm guessing given the current trend of rejections that can't be a great indication....oh well.

Due to constant celebration, I have been unable to post anything. But I got in!!!! See you guys in the fall and good luck for those still waiting and for those on the waitlist! :)

bidster said:
Still no mail here in GA... :mad: I'm guessing given the current trend of rejections that can't be a great indication....oh well.

Oh, bidster I forgot to mention that I am in Atlanta, and the mailman just delivered the big R. It was dated March 1st.

Paragozardelsol said:
Oh, bidster I forgot to mention that I am in Atlanta, and the mailman just delivered the big R. It was dated March 1st.

nothing in my po box today.

columbia, be nicer to us atliens.

don't worry, bidster. monday will be our (good) day.

To Those Accepted:

Can someone tell me when second look is? I can't find anything in my packet about it. Is it on a separate sheet of paper?

Why Why Why!!!!

Do Columbia and Cornell purposely schedule their second looks on the same weekend?

jankanator said:
Why Why Why!!!!

Do Columbia and Cornell purposely schedule their second looks on the same weekend?

I actually don't think it's a bad idea....they likely have a lot of applicant and acceptance overlap (at least compared to any other 2 schools). For the people who are fortunate enough to get into both and really want to consider the two (like you, apparently :) ), having both revisits in one weekend probably saves a lot of money and time in terms of traveling to and from NY. It might not be a big deal if you're already in NY, but coming from out-of-town, flying to and getting around NYC for two separate weekends could be a bit much....

bidster said:
Still no mail here in GA... :mad: I'm guessing given the current trend of rejections that can't be a great indication....oh well.

Nothing here yet either, and I live in the midwest. :luck: to those still waiting!

Realest said:
Btw Treg, you just made about 100 or more Columbia-obsessed friends with your last post...

Yes, I have already received a few PMs asking me to withdraw promptly, email "XXX" person, etc.

To anyone who is dying for me to make the waitlist one place shorter, I still need to get my packet on Monday, read it, and decide what to do. I am heading back to the Cornell revisit next weekend. I will post when I have figured it all out.

;) Treg