oh crap! i got an A minus!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not even taco bell would take you....say hello to walmart

zahque said:
should i quit now and start working at taco bell?
+pity+
Yes. End your life as soon as possible. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
+pity+

Yeah, especially b/c you spelled "crap" wrong in the title - it's supposed to be "Krap" :smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: We don't even have A minuses at my school, just ABs.

Way to fail in life.

yeah--i feel your pain. one time I got a 94.89 and the stupid prof wouldn't round it up. It was the worst day of my life!!!!!!!!!!!

zahque said:
+pity+

Definitely give up on life!

Methanol is probably the best way to go for someone with an A-

Jumping off a chrismass tree would also be do-able. Ofcourse a short one only.

I'll give you the same advice one of our chemistry professors gave a particular group of similarly low-achieving intellectual plebians: why don't you just drink drano and die? Surely there is nothing better left for you at this point....

docbill said:

and make sure it doesn't fall over before you can jump.......unless of course it is still planted in the ground then i guess you have no worries

I wish I had thought of this thread, I'm such a wanna bee.

I got a 99.5 once. Then I decided that my life was over. So I took knitting. :smuggrin:

An A- are you kidding? ....and you think you are going to go to MEDICAL SCHOOL! hahahahhahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
docbill said:
Definitely give up on life!

Methanol is probably the best way to go for someone with an A-

methanol only makes you blind. (well, technically, if you drink too much of anything it could kill you.)

I hate the minuses! Last semester I ended up with an A- in gerontological counseling when the syllabus clearly stated that the class was non-plus/minus (90-100 = A, 80-89 = B). I'm really upset. At my school instructors can choose whether or not to use a plus/minus grading scale in most circumstances. I only took it because I'm majoring in microbiology and gerontology, so I need gerontology electives.

Law2Doc said:
Actually I think someone on MDApplicants got into taco bell with a B+ average -- it can be done.
:laugh: :laugh:

Law2Doc said:
Actually I think someone on MDApplicants got into taco bell with a B+ average -- it can be done.

Yeah...they had to pay to get a spot.

:eek:

Law2Doc said:
I'm sure it was a caribbean taco bell.

Reactions: 2 users
Law2Doc said:

Yea, but they had a 45 T MCAT. So that kind of helped just a little. Plus he was a URM.

Haha, this thread reminds me of Old School.

Spanish: Damn, I gonna end up workin' at Red Lobster.
Frat Brother: You already work at Red Lobster.
Spanish: Yea, but its part time... d**k.

ill be the lone dissenter on this thread, supreme court like. theres nothing wrong with setting high standards for oneself and being disappointed if one doesnt meet them, no matter how others perceive those standards. oh crap...i got a 9.65 instead of a 9.62, there goes the world record on the 100m

its legitimate to be upset about getting an A-. its not the end of the world but it could mean a lot to a person depending on the situation. who knows, maybe it could make a big difference for that person, butterfly effect and all. that one A- vs an A on the transcript that an adcom member looks at could trigger something in his brain that leads to a thumbs up or a thumbs down somewhere along the line. maybe it was his favorite subject in undergrad, you never know. although its tempting to rationalize things away in light of the big picture, little things like an A- can potentially matter if they snowball. so while im certainly not mr sensitive, i do find it a little disturbing when people are blasted for expressing discontent about things like A-'s and the like. who knows what circumstances they are under and what is important to them. i guess the only sensitivity that matters these days is related to skin color :cool:

a little devils advocate. i never find it too fun when i see too much agreement.

Shredder said:
its legitimate to be upset about getting an A-. its not the end of the world but it could mean a lot to a person depending on the situation.

Ah yes, but two (count them, two) pre-meds have posted messages to the allopathic board within the past week moaning about getting Bs and now they're both claiming that the world is coming to an end and that they won't get into medical school. The threads were pointless because (1) everyone who visits SDN should read around for a while to see how medical admissions work, and (2) people should not post pre-med questions on the allopathic board. Ask your question on the pre-allo board and a med student will be by shortly to help you.

Law2Doc said:

Yeah, but he had to take a year off to prove to admissions committees that he could handle working in the fast food industry. He re-applied twice, the most recent time to 30 restaurants and finally got a single acceptance.

I think having all those -s and +s is stupid... just makes people more obsessed, esp. pre-meds. Thank god my school just gives out letter grades without those signs attached.

Shredder said:
i guess the only sensitivity that matters these days is related to skin color :cool:

What's that supposed to mean?

Law2Doc said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

dbhvt said:
What's that supposed to mean?
what i mean is that today the notions of sensitivity/tolerance/diversity only apply to a set of items(diction?) that politicians and media decide are worthy of those notions, which isnt true sensitivity at all. selective sensitivity isnt genuine. race is a prominent one, but also religion and sexual orientation--the things that represent powerful interest groups and voting blocs. if Athletes Club or Gunners United get made fun of or ridiculed, all is well, but if one of the aforementioned affiliations is teased or has its complaints cast aside, all hell breaks loose and people fawn all over them. for example: "i got an A- bc my prof is a bigot". everyone runs to the thread to console.

maybe im turning this needlessly political, but i think sometimes ppl need to lay off the gunners. whats wrong with a little ambition, its infinitely better than the opposite. i think weve all been in a situation where we have underachieved relative to our own standards, expressed disappointment, and been scolded for it. is the idea to make people take underachievement in stride? disappointment in moderation is healthy, it drives people to be their best. negative feedback you could say. sorry i dont want to make this discussion too serious...just voicing dissent, supreme court like as i said earlier.

Shredder said:
what i mean is that today the notions of sensitivity/tolerance/diversity only apply to a set of items(diction?) that politicians and media decide are worthy of those notions, which isnt true sensitivity at all. selective sensitivity isnt genuine.

Good point.

Shredder said:
what i mean is that today the notions of sensitivity/tolerance/diversity only apply to a set of items(diction?) that politicians and media decide are worthy of those notions, which isnt true sensitivity at all. selective sensitivity isnt genuine. race is a prominent one, but also religion and sexual orientation--the things that represent powerful interest groups and voting blocs. if Athletes Club or Gunners United get made fun of or ridiculed, all is well, but if one of the aforementioned affiliations is teased or has its complaints cast aside, all hell breaks loose and people fawn all over them. for example: "i got an A- bc my prof is a bigot". everyone runs to the thread to console.

maybe im turning this needlessly political, but i think sometimes ppl need to lay off the gunners. whats wrong with a little ambition, its infinitely better than the opposite. i think weve all been in a situation where we have underachieved relative to our own standards, expressed disappointment, and been scolded for it. is the idea to make people take underachievement in stride? disappointment in moderation is healthy, it drives people to be their best. negative feedback you could say. sorry i dont want to make this discussion too serious...just voicing dissent, supreme court like as i said earlier.

Shredder = Always Right.

Shredder said:

that is so true in todays society, people are getting too lazy and apathetic.

I can see the dissapointment with an A-. It's not so much the letter grade as it is the GPA that matters. An A- is a 3.7. Last semester I had 3 A- and a B+ and my GPA for that semester was only a 3.6. I am not overly proud of that but I know that it was my own irresponsobility and not purely my academic performance. However, I wouldn't start an entire thread about my one A-. But hey, thats just me and who am I :D

jtank said:
that is so true in todays society, people are getting too lazy and apathetic.
= 30k GM employees get laid off and fuss about it. toyota all the way

shredder...you talk too much.
-mota

Shredder said:

i'm not sure how your first and second paragraph are linked. i think you went on a little bit of a tangeant here.

i think you should listen to yourself.. "take underachievement in stride." being around pre-meds really does warp one's sense of reality. an a-minus, underachievment? it's literally one notch below perfection. disappointment? are you kidding me? if your transcript was full of "disappointing" a-minuses, your gpa would be 3.667. cry me a river! there's not a single medical school in the country that you couldn't get into with a 3.667.

now, part of your point is valid. there's nothing wrong with striving to earn solid a's, and doing it in a modest fashion. but what is wrong is complaining to others that you "only" earned an a-minus when there are a slew of applicants who have the same medical school aspirations, who are taking the same science courses, and who are earning b's and c's. you burlesque the hard work of others - that's what's wrong with openly complaining about an a-minus.

now, you have every right to feel disappointed about those grades, and to strive for straight a's.. but as a life lesson, you'll find the outside world more agreeable if you keep that sort of high-standards disappointment to yourself.

zahque said:
what's wrong with openly complaining about an a-minus.

now, you have every right to feel disappointed about those grades, and to strive for straight a's.. but as a life lesson, you'll find the outside world more agreeable if you keep that sort of high-standards disappointment to yourself.

I don't think it's wrong to complain about A minuses (particularly on an online forum where, one might suppose, the whole point is to get advice, to rant, and to get that occassional comfort one needs when the process of getting into medical school becomes overly daunting. As someone who finds herself in the trap of "Oh crap, I'm one pt off of my A - versus the A minus - in genetics" I find some comfort in that.

At the same time, however, I think what people are objecting to with "the gunners" (although one could argue that at one moment or another most people on this forum fit into that category) is the way that every tiny little thing turns into this snowball of defeat, self-doubt, and ultimately a lot of anguish. Maybe I should take the blinders away from my eyes before I jump in the med app pool this year, but I'd like to think my future life success (and erm, even my self worth as seen in the case of some posters) comes down to more than just how the curve played out in one class (or a few). And I'd also like to think that one disappointment wouldn't lead to complete doubt and defeat, which it seems to for people on this forum who think they're doomed if they don't get that A minus in orgo!

Will Ferrell said:
Shredder = Always Right.
:thumbdown: Have you read his posts?? ;)

Though, in this case, I grudingly half-agree with the Trump.

NapeSpikes said:
:thumbdown: Have you read his posts?? ;)
No joke, I agree with mota. Sometimes it's better to say too little.

An A-???
Who are you, and why are you among us?

P.S. Since you asked my opinion, I think there's nothing wrong with striving for perfection. It really hurts when you realize that you're not perfect, but you can still sleep at night when you see how much harder you work when compared with the lazy people that happen to be in your life.

zahque said:
one cant keep everything to oneself, there are times when one needs others to turn to. and if theres anyone to turn to for consolation about an A-, its a forum full of self-selected, high achieving premeds. i see a lot of negativity on threads posted by: gunners, high schoolers, and freshmen. its sad that we allow our own jealousy to lead to such insensitive treatment of ppl like them. ppl's priorities and goals are different, that should be respected

zahque i did digress on that one post but i indicated as much. brett youre right, unions and entitlements can only go so far until they start to backfire. as for my string of posts here--i dont usually go preachy but sometimes a person feels the need to speak up. everyone is free to ignore as needed, thats the beauty of online forums which i try to take full advantage of when its called for.

you know the premise of this thread is a relative thing. i dont think any of us would appreciate being ridiculed for complaining about a C by some pothead washouts, but its an analogous situation. we shouldnt allow our egos to cloud our judgement in giving advice or consolation. by your standards of offending people, nobody on this forum has any right to complain about anything bc there are always ppl who achieve less and will be annoyed/saddened by the complaints--or is there some critical mass or threshold at which it becomes okay to voice discontents, annoyance be damned?

look i dont want to rain on everyones parade--if this is a sarcastic humor thread by all means continue, but i think its a little different when ppl post sincere threads about things ilke this and see similar comments. once again, devils advocate/lone dissent. but ppl will fuss about my expressed sentiments no matter how many disclaimers i attach. so in conclusion, as a life lesson is it best to never complain about anything and never seek consolation, considering the relativity issue? legitimate question

Even walmart is too good for you. You need to start looking at dentistry.

Shredder said:
so in conclusion, as a life lesson is it best to never complain about anything and never seek consolation, considering the relativity issue? legitimate question

that would be a legitimate question if the people earning a-'s had legitimate concerns, but they don't. even in a context awash in straight-a students, it would take the densest individual to think that an a- knocks them out of med school contention. the majority of the time, these people are simply fishing for compliments/condolences/attention. complaints about c's and d's are much more legitimate concerns because they put actual dents in your application.

so, it's possible for a rational person to weigh the legitimacy of their concern against any potential backlash. and on this forum, i don't think you're going to come across many "pothead washouts" that are going to be sensitive about c and d complaints. you will, on the other hand, come across a fairly large number of individuals who have earned far lower grades than an a-, and (as i mentioned in my previous post) have the same medical school aspirations.

I recently got an A minus in my cancer cell course. Pretty upset to say the least. :bang:

I recently got an A minus in my cancer cell course. Pretty upset to say the least. :bang:
1) You need to realize this thread is nearly a decade old.
2)You also need to realize that no adcom is going to look at one A- and come to any kind of conclusion
3) You need to start looking into Caribbean podiatry schools because your medical career is DONE

Status
Not open for further replies.