Oh No.. Car Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hybrid is nonsense. Petrol all the way. But my commute is 6 miles. But California sucks and I pay $4.40 for a gallon of super. Maybe I should get a hybrid

Until pharmacy school, my commute to work was anywhere from 3.5 to 7 miles. For a stretch with this float job, I was going 78 miles each way. Fortunate to only get one ticket. With this new job, my commute will be about 10 miles. I like my mazda5 and my chevy corolla. Chevy gets about 30 mi/gal Mazda about 20-22.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice car. I own a silver 2008 Camry SE myself.

What options does your SE have? Mine came with the 440W JBL audio system, Bluetooth, sunroof, and the rear lip spoiler.

Mine came with sunroof, rear spoiler, and tinted windows. Some mods I plan to do are painting the brake calipers and installing new speakers, subwoofer, and amp.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought these were very cool. A mini-minivan that isn't tap-water boring?

Best gas mileage of any mini-van out there, but hugs the road on the mazda3 frame. Don't like the cost of the tires, but otherwise I can't complain. Got it as a salvage with 30K+/- miles on it annd have doubled that in 2.5 years.

I've had my eye on a VW Jetta TDI (diesel). I know stats for those are around 40-50 mpg. Anyone have experience?

I've had my eye on a VW Jetta TDI (diesel). I know stats for those are around 40-50 mpg. Anyone have experience?

My buddy gets little less than 50 MPG ....mostly highway. Then again if you're near Paris tx....you might get more driving on those flat and straight roads..

Even tho I'm pumping every other week....my car is getting 16.1 MPG.:mad:

Until pharmacy school, my commute to work was anywhere from 3.5 to 7 miles. For a stretch with this float job, I was going 78 miles each way. Fortunate to only get one ticket. With this new job, my commute will be about 10 miles. I like my mazda5 and my chevy corolla. Chevy gets about 30 mi/gal Mazda about 20-22.
:eyebrow::wow::rofl:

I owned one for about 3 years and I loved it. I only got rid of it cause I couldn't afford the payments as a student. I'm actually about to buy another VW TDI but european spec...the diesel's they have here in Germany are so much better than the USA but the USA diesel's are still pretty good.

On a side note, I've been driving an Opel Astra diesel for the last 3 weeks. It is freakin AWESOME! Great pick up on the autobahn and great gas milage! Shocking that General Motors owns Opel...

On a side note, I've been driving an Opel Astra diesel for the last 3 weeks. It is freakin AWESOME! Great pick up on the autobahn and great gas milage! Shocking that General Motors owns Opel...

Once in a blue moon I'll see one of the Astras they sold here as a Saturn... still very handsome vehicles. I heartily approve of GM increasingly bringing them to the US as Buicks.

Diesels are cool. I rented a Vauxhall Insignia in the UK which is a Buick Regal in the US. It had a 2.0L 4 cylinder turbo diesel and manual transmission. It was a hatchback too so loading the 'boot' was a piece of cake. Lots of torque down low. Floor it at 1,200 rpm and it would just haul ass and go. But no top end power. Out of breath by 4,000 rpm. So there was lots of shifting in the manual. Diesels do make that clackety sound at low rpm, which is not something I'm used to with my personal vehicle. It got about 40 mpg (US gallons) with mostly highway driving. Which is just as well because diesel cost about US$9/US gallon over there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Screw the lame looking hybrid/electric cars on the road today. 98 mpg in this beast ftw:

BMW-i8-Spyder-11.jpg

And to think it's going to be a mass production car...I know what I'm going to attempt to afford after I graduate..

M3 -> Turbo S -> i8 Spyder.

Bring it on.

And to think it's going to be a mass production car...I know what I'm going to attempt to afford after I graduate..

M3 -> Turbo S -> i8 Spyder.

Bring it on.

That's an expensive list you got there. Better work hard. A turbo S will be more than your annual salary.

That's an expensive list you got there. Better work hard. A turbo S will be more than your annual salary.

If it means working overtime and living under my parents mortgage free roof, I'll do what I can to get the car.

I want one of those new all-road Audi station wagons.

That will be next year's present to me. This year's present is paying down the debt.

If it means working overtime and living under my parents mortgage free roof, I'll do what I can to get the car.

That's real drive right there. Good luck.

When I was a med student, I really thought I'd buy myself a Ferrari. But when you actually get your contract/paycheck, you feel bad about blowing that kind of cash.

This is the car I found for myself... great deal I think. I'm just trying to convince the wife now. But I'm not sure if she sees the logic in my buying of one.

http://www.mercedeshoffman.com/cert...-E-Class-6435c8ae0a0d0649008f7e2020fcc5f0.htm

I'm not even sure what to believe anymore. She thinks this is a ridiculous purchase... yet I am signed on as a new attending at 2 hospitals and make 8 times what the car costs. I'm not even sure if I should argue or not. :confused:

Brand new, the Mercedes Benz E550 coupe costs about $75K... this one is only $49K w/ 16K miles. It still has 4 years warranty up to 100,000 miles. It's safe, it's reliable, it's comfortable.

Still, she insists I am being callous with our money.

When I was a med student, I really thought I'd buy myself a Ferrari. But when you actually get your contract/paycheck, you feel bad about blowing that kind of cash.

I already have that feeling now. I always thought I was going to buy a Benz or something of that nature. Now that I realized how much work I had to put in to get through school and later on when I graduate. I have second thoughts about just blowing through cash.

It's like winning a lottery. Instant access to so much cash and somehow those people become bankrupt in a few years.

I already have that feeling now. I always thought I was going to buy a Benz or something of that nature. Now that I realized how much work I had to put in to get through school and later on when I graduate. I have second thoughts about just blowing through cash.

It's like winning a lottery. Instant access to so much cash and somehow those people become bankrupt in a few years.

Maybe that's what my wife is trying to get at...

If you're looking for a solid hybrid, look into the Sonata Hybrid that just came out. Super reliable, great warranty, and overall a very solid car. It's what a few of the car reviewers are raving about lately.

Personally, I prefer my baby.. 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. It's a classy 4-door AWD sedan with a turbo boxer engine that has some serious pick-up. I love it when a buddy decides to ask why I love my car so much. I take them for a ride and they suddenly understand. I think the most common question afterwards is, "How do I get a turbo in my car?!" :corny:

Or how about refeeding syndrome? You've been starved of money for so long, that once you get a hold of some, you could overdo it and end up in more trouble than before... :)

Anyway, IMHO having lots of money and being financially savvy are two totally separate things.

This is the car I found for myself... great deal I think. I'm just trying to convince the wife now. But I'm not sure if she sees the logic in my buying of one.

http://www.mercedeshoffman.com/cert...-E-Class-6435c8ae0a0d0649008f7e2020fcc5f0.htm

I'm not even sure what to believe anymore. She thinks this is a ridiculous purchase... yet I am signed on as a new attending at 2 hospitals and make 8 times what the car costs. I'm not even sure if I should argue or not. :confused:

Brand new, the Mercedes Benz E550 coupe costs about $75K... this one is only $49K w/ 16K miles. It still has 4 years warranty up to 100,000 miles. It's safe, it's reliable, it's comfortable.

Still, she insists I am being callous with our money.

It's definitely not cheap... but man, that's a helluva lot of car.

I wish more people were interested in wagons. They make so much sense.

I also wish we'd get some of these.
2007vessuteps1.jpg

I'd rock the HELL out of a V8 Ute. I grew up driving a truck, and I love the versatility... but I also like vehicles that don't weigh 2 tons and get 12mpg.

Can I play the cliche'd "in 4 years" game? Assuming I get a job, remain single as I have for the first 24 years of my life, get a full time job, and pharmacy doesn't go down the tubes, I will eventually own this as my toy:

images

and this as my daily driver / grocery shopper. I know, midlife crisis in my 30's, I can't help it. I have and will continue to sacrifice my 20's, so after I stick to my 5 year loan repayment plan, I'll hopefully have at least something nice to drive.

CQ_640.jpg

Can I play the cliche'd "in 4 years" game? Assuming I get a job, remain single as I have for the first 24 years of my life, get a full time job, and pharmacy doesn't go down the tubes, I will eventually own this as my toy:

images

and this as my daily driver / grocery shopper. I know, midlife crisis in my 30's, I can't help it. I have and will continue to sacrifice my 20's, so after I stick to my 5 year loan repayment plan, I'll hopefully have at least something nice to drive.

CQ_640.jpg

I am looking forward to the C7 corvette. The CTSV is nice, but I didn't like it when I test drove it.

If I wanted to get my dream car - it'd probably be a 911 S spec'd to my desires (to a tune of approx $109,000). I don't think I could beat that without getting an F car.

But back in the real world, I'm stuck with something along the lines of an M3, 550/used M5, E550 or used E63, the new Lexus GS350F sport. Nothing over $75K.

Joy is valuable to many and "value" is also subjective.

So you see... I'm a car guy.

Interestingly enough, my mom and dad were talking to me last night. My younger brother is a pharmacist and bought a Benz GLK350 right out of school. I think it's a $42K car on a 100K salary.

I told them I really really enjoyed the new 2013 Lexus GS350 F sport car, much moreso than the Audi A7 or Benz E550 or Jaguar XF that I've test driven recently. The car's reasonably priced at $58K.

They were like, "A Lexus? That's just a rebadged Toyota... why get a Lexus when everyone has one? Get something like a Benz."

I told them that if I was getting a car, it's because I like it and not because no one else has it. I'm not in this to get a car no one else has or to be more special than others. If I like a car and it fits my desires, then that's the car for me.

I told them that if I wanted exclusivity, I could easily go out there and buy an Aston Martin, an Audi R8, or a Bentley with my salary. Why settle for a Benz if I wanted to stand out?

and this as my daily driver / grocery shopper.

internet_bro_fist.jpg

I'll admit, I'm a sucker for exclusivity. But you don't necessarily have to spend a fortune to get it. My friend's Z4 coupe is one of (I want to say) 12,000 produced globally... granted, it's a 2008 model, but it only had about 18,000 miles on it, in perfect condition. I think after he haggled them down he paid about $27.5k. He claims to 'feel like a rock star' everywhere he goes. I guess?

I like cars that 'normal' people won't pay much attention to, but that make car guys stop and do a double-take.

images

CQ_640.jpg

lol who say's its cliche? Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I for one know it's going to be the latter.

But back in the real world, I'm stuck with something along the lines of an M3, 550/used M5, E550 or used E63, the new Lexus GS350F sport. Nothing over $75K.

So you see... I'm a car guy.

Have driven an M3 numerous times..best all around car hands down. Sad to see the V8 go away next gen..but yea would take the M3 over my FBO + Meth 335i any day of the week!

It's definitely not cheap... but man, that's a helluva lot of car.

I wish more people were interested in wagons. They make so much sense.

I also wish we'd get some of these.
2007vessuteps1.jpg

I'd rock the HELL out of a V8 Ute. I grew up driving a truck, and I love the versatility... but I also like vehicles that don't weigh 2 tons and get 12mpg.
The wagons they have over here in germany are awesome! BMW, VW, Peugeot, Renault, Honda, and Opel all make awesome wagons and diesel wagons too!

I can't believe I bought a BMW today. Granted it wasn't' a diesel or a wagon but it became a need over a want. Ended up with a 97 5 series with 80k miles...service records all done at the bmw dealership too! Got it for $3200. yee haw!

I'm a total wagon fan. SUVs are ridonk.

I ain't working under no contract lol. I'll be working with my dad (3 pharmacies under his name, he works 1 of them full time) and eventually he'll retire and I'll gain the business. Depending on how you look at it (good or bad), my life was written even before my inception.

Unfortunately I could never live up to my sisters overachieving standards (Columbia now Georgetown Law) so here I am. So I'm going to take advantage of this profession as much as possible.. although considering how tough my dad has it right now, I might be only looking at an M3's once I graduate. I hope that's not the case 5 years from now because I have much bigger car dreams than any M3. ;)

I hope that's not the case 5 years from now because I have much bigger car dreams than any M3. ;)

Yeah man... I was doing an online build on the new Porsche 911S... I quickly got to $110,000! I was like.... oh man!! :laugh:

nice parking. Just asking for a door ding.

+1

I park my car as far away as possible when I go to the mall or shopping plaza or whatever.