Ohhhhhh WOW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fill your Rx 26

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goood....Now that I have your guys attention......

Doesn't it seem like EEEEEEEVERYONE, wants to become a pharmacist? I mean yay...Great...But I hate it when people who have good grades get in (who are in pharmacy for the money) And those of us who REALLLY are passionate about the field dont get it....SO unfair

Members don't see this ad.

Fill your Rx 26 said:

Doesn't it seem like EEEEEEEVERYONE, wants to become a pharmacist? I mean yay...Great...But I hate it when people who have good grades get in (who are in pharmacy for the money) And those of us who REALLLY are passionate about the field dont get it....SO unfair

Finally you realize that life is unfair. The world is unfair, deal with it or take some chill pills.........btw, what's your gpa and what do u consider is good grades 3.5 +?

Who says people with good grades aren't passionate about pharmacy? Maybe they have good grades BECAUSE they are so interested in becoming a pharmacist - i.e. they've worked their butts off because they know that having a great GPA/PCAT will give them an edge?

What's with all the hate for people with decent GPAs lately?

Members don't see this ad :)
No hate at all....My gpa is 3.75, SO dont get me wrong. I just see people who work sooooo hard, (at a pharmacy, exctracurricular, volunteer....)

And then I see others, who study their butts off, memorize everything....never stepped foot in a pharmacy....just want to be one.....BASICALLY TO BE one, because "it makes good money" Im sorry....But that irratates me to no end.

Fill your Rx 26 said:
No hate at all....My gpa is 3.75, SO dont get me wrong. I just see people who work sooooo hard, (at a pharmacy, exctracurricular, volunteer....)

And then I see others, who study their butts off, memorize everything....never stepped foot in a pharmacy....just want to be one.....BASICALLY TO BE one, because "it makes good money" Im sorry....But that irratates me to no end.

I'll be honest. If it only paid 40K a year, I would not have gone to pharmacy school. Getting a BS, then the PharmD takes a lot of time and money. Money was a major factor when I chose pharmacy. I could have just been a med tech with a 4-year degree.

The other factor was lifestyle. If it was not, I might have chosen medical school instead. I'm interested in health care, not just pharmacy.

I agree with Dana, I would not have gotten myself in $100K+ in debt and taken all this time if I wasn't going to gain a much better salary than what I would have had with my first degree. There are so many reasons I chose pharmacy as a career and salary was one of them. I don't think that makes me any less compassionate or a lesser pharmacist than anyone else. It just makes me honest.

Fill your Rx 26 said:

Doesn't it seem like EEEEEEEVERYONE, wants to become a pharmacist? I mean yay...Great...But I hate it when people who have good grades get in (who are in pharmacy for the money) And those of us who REALLLY are passionate about 0the field dont get it....SO unfair

I completely agree with you. I go to UB so there is Early Assurance (enter as a freshman pharmacy major, keep a 3.3 automatically get in etc.) And I know a few people who really don't care about getting in, just have the grades.. just like one of my good friends who lives in my hall and HATES all the science and math classes and tells everyone she really doesn't want to do pharmacy. I realize this isn't the norm...but its still annoying.

Most everyone I know wants to go to dental school.

Thats were the bank is....

What I hate more than people with good grades but no passion getting it is people with bad grades, no passion, but their parent is an alumni.

Yes, it happened to my husband. He has been waitlisted for dental school twice, both time bumped for a crop of alum-kids. Some of which have since repeated years.

I admit that money has something to do with why I chose pharmacy....but I am interested in the healthcare industry. I have done research in the diabetes/immunology field for the last five years....and enjoyed it. But I realized that I wanted to do more with my life instead of being a "technician" as all the "doctorates" called us (not to dis technicians....we do all the important work!!!!) and told what to do (in my last job, my boss was a nut case- she micromanaged us--no input from our part).

What I enjoyed most though was the interactions that I had with other people and the impact I had on them....I don't care how much I get paid, just as long I get to do what I want to do....

Okay...I'm a workaholic.

Fill your Rx 26 said:

Funny, well get ready for lifetime of irritation. B/c for the most part unless you are doing residency or some pharmacy research hook up with univer or something. Pretty much all your colleagues are about money and lifestyle. The faster you get used to that the better for you personally.

If I wanted to be in healthcare regardless of the money, I would stay a medicinal chemist with a BS. No much money here, and a lot of work, but if you are passionate about it....you will still be pissed if you didn't make a nice living because your family will also feel the pinch. At that point I don't care how "Gandi" you want to be, you will still be kinda selfish, in this case to your family.
Practical is what I discovered works for me. Yes I am passionate about helping people, and about doing so through the available pharmacopeia (either I discover it or know enough to advise somebody about what they are taking)
Pharmacists make a better living than chemists, without the long days and sleepless nights (yes if you are a good chemist it means you will not be able to sleep until you solve your chemical problem)
If you have a family, you need to be able to come home for dinner, and pay for a trip to Disney every now and then...
OK, chemists at a PhD level is another story. They do not accrue debt while in graduate school, they just get abused by their professors, and only the top tier make it in drug discovery. Once they get a good job, they still need to make their mark in their work place, so the un-written law is that they must work really long hours. Again not great for the spouses and kids.
Eventually is all evens out, I think...gotta do what you love, practically!...

Fill your Rx 26 said:

Ya, great point you got there. I mean, why should people with good grades who work hard and actually understand the concepts presented to them in classes be rewarded by getting into pharmacy school. That's total BS.

If a person is not willing to put forth the effort to make good grades, how passionate can they really be?

Of course... yes, the money is a factor that everyone considers when they want to pursue pharmacy. But...On the same token, it should definately not be the sole factor in becomming a pharmacist (I guess that was what I should have said). I get so angry when I hear someone say "Yeah I hate pharmacy...but the pay makes up for it". Let alone its one of the most rewarding professions...They aren't aware of this factor. And some of these people are the ones who take YOUR place in pharmacy school (You being the one who is so eagar and committed to the field) Thats what I meant by unfair. No hard feelings against people with Good GPAs- Don't get me wrong :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fill your Rx 26 said:

I know what you are trying to say ... there are people out there who get into pharmacy school simply because they have good grades. You aren't saying that all people with good grades don't have passion ... just some. However, I will say that it's very difficult for those who perform the interviews to tell for certain those who REALLY have passion and those who just want a paycheck. Admissions are forced to look at grades ...

I would like to add. If you are so passionate about the profession of pharmacy, then good grade should come automatically right? Plus, this world evolves mostly around the $$$$$..

Of course... yes, the money is a factor that everyone considers when they want to pursue pharmacy. But...On the same token, it should definately not be the sole factor in becomming a pharmacist (I guess that was what I should have said). I get so angry when I hear someone say "Yeah I hate pharmacy...but the pay makes up for it". Let alone its one of the most rewarding professions...They aren't aware of this factor. And some of these people are the ones who take YOUR place in pharmacy school (You being the one who is so eagar and committed to the field) Thats what I meant by unfair. No hard feelings against people with Good GPAs- Don't get me wrong :) Yes, I know life is unfair thanks for the reminder guys hahaha

I know what you are trying to say ... there are people out there who get into pharmacy school simply because they have good grades. You aren't saying that all people with good grades don't have passion ... just some. However, I will say that it's very difficult for those who perform the interviews to tell for certain those who REALLY have passion and those who just want a paycheck. Admissions are forced to look at grades ...

Exaaaaaactly. Thanks so much for your help :)

yeah, i like habanero's point. on the flipside of this argument, if you are crazy passionate about the profession, you should be dominating those prereqs and bringing in the high gpa...if you're rollin around w/ a 2.0, clearly your priorities are elsewhere.

Downonthepharm almost read my mind... If I really wanted to make money and be in the health care field I would consider dentistry - it's 4 years and then you can practice and make a pretty hefty paycheck. But I have no desire at all to look in people's mouths all day - I also probably don't have the dexterity that they need to have.

However, I'd be lying if I said that the potential salary I can earn as a pharmacist isn't a factor for me. Although it isn't phenomenal pay, it's a salary that I hope will enable me to live a decent middle-class life. But I genuinely am interested in pharmacology and disease management. It's my desire to be a pharmacist (for all the reasons above), plus my personal neurosis that push me to get the best grades that I can.

I understand how you can be frustrated with the people that get into pharmacy school that don't seem to have any passion, though - it's frustrating in all areas of life to see people do better than you that don't appreciate what they are given.

UnclePimpJuice said:
If a person is not willing to put forth the effort to make good grades, how passionate can they really be?

Ok, lets get a little bit of perspective here. First let me start by saying that I do feel that having good grades and a high GPA are very important. HOWEVER, grades are not the end all be all. Most Pharmacy schools, as well as Dental School, Medical Schools, etc all look at the whole package. Grades matter just like your PCAT score, your community service, your experience in the industry, your leadership experiences, etc. I do believe that your grades probably weigh a little heavier then these others and they should, but you can’t only have good grades. I had a 2.33 undergrad GPA. Yes, that is correct. Now before you read anymore, stop and ask yourself “What kind of student must THIS guy be?” And I ask you: what judgment have you already made? Now read on…
I graduated from West Point with a BS in Engineering and a Math minor in 4 years (there are no 5 or 6 year plans at West Point). I never took less then 18 credits in a semester and one semester I took 23.5. I didn’t do that by choice, it was the schedule given to me. All cadets also carry a full schedule of military training and all must play a sport. The year that I graduated, West Point was ranked #1 in the country for undergraduate engineering programs. The Princeton Review consistently ranks it as the hardest college to graduate from in the country. I spent 5 years on active duty as an Infantry officer and the last 3 years in biopharmaceutical sales for Johnson & Johnson. After I graduate from pharmacy school I plan to return to active duty as a military pharmacist. Our veterans and our service people give us the lives and freedoms we enjoy. Mental trauma is the #1 injury our troops sustain in combat. Someday I will specialize in Psychiatric Pharmacy and help these brave people. Our heroes deserve great medical care and I am going to do everything I can to make sure they get it. So what does all this ranting mean? You may question my GPA, but you can’t question my passion. I think it is ridiculous and naive to assume that someone is not passionate because they do not have a high GPA. I could have gone to a no-name school, majored in English, and had a 3.8. That would not necessarily make me more passionate about being a pharmacist.

oakland_raiders said:
Ok, lets get a little bit of perspective here. First let me start by saying that I do feel that having good grades and a high GPA are very important. HOWEVER, grades are not the end all be all. Most Pharmacy schools, as well as Dental School, Medical Schools, etc all look at the whole package. Grades matter just like your PCAT score, your community service, your experience in the industry, your leadership experiences, etc. I do believe that your grades probably weigh a little heavier then these others and they should, but you can’t only have good grades. I had a 2.33 undergrad GPA. Yes, that is correct. Now before you read anymore, stop and ask yourself “What kind of student must THIS guy be?” And I ask you: what judgment have you already made? Now read on…
I graduated from West Point with a BS in Engineering and a Math minor in 4 years (there are no 5 or 6 year plans at West Point). I never took less then 18 credits in a semester and one semester I took 23.5. I didn’t do that by choice, it was the schedule given to me. All cadets also carry a full schedule of military training and all must play a sport. The year that I graduated, West Point was ranked #1 in the country for undergraduate engineering programs. The Princeton Review consistently ranks it as the hardest college to graduate from in the country. I spent 5 years on active duty as an Infantry officer and the last 3 years in biopharmaceutical sales for Johnson & Johnson. After I graduate from pharmacy school I plan to return to active duty as a military pharmacist. Our veterans and our service people give us the lives and freedoms we enjoy. Mental trauma is the #1 injury our troops sustain in combat. Someday I will specialize in Psychiatric Pharmacy and help these brave people. Our heroes deserve great medical care and I am going to do everything I can to make sure they get it. So what does all this ranting mean? You may question my GPA, but you can’t question my passion. I think it is ridiculous and naive to assume that someone is not passionate because they do not have a high GPA. I could have gone to a no-name school, majored in English, and had a 3.8. That would not necessarily make me more passionate about being a pharmacist.

WOW...and thank you for your commitment to the military. my brother is in the army at schoefield barracks in hawaii.

oakland_raiders said:
I could have gone to a no-name school, majored in English, and had a 3.8.

Take THAT, English majors!

LOL

oakland_raiders said:

That is my point EXACTLY. Thanks for sharing your story!!

oakland_raiders said:
I do believe that your grades probably weigh a little heavier

Na, grades carry a lot of weight.

oakland_raiders said:
I graduated from West Point with a BS in Engineering and a Math minor in 4 years (there are no 5 or 6 year plans at West Point). I never took less then 18 credits in a semester and one semester I took 23.5. I didn’t do that by choice, it was the schedule given to me. All cadets also carry a full schedule of military training and all must play a sport. The year that I graduated, West Point was ranked #1 in the country for undergraduate engineering programs. The Princeton Review consistently ranks it as the hardest college to graduate from in the country. I spent 5 years on active duty as an Infantry officer and the last 3 years in biopharmaceutical sales for Johnson & Johnson.

Guess what? Jimmy cracked corn and I don't care.

You see, you are not a traditional applicant. I assume that you have not yet taken, or are in the process of taking your pharmacy pre-reqs. If you were to make a 2.33 gpa for all of your pre-pharmacy courses, I would absolutely question your passion for the field of pharmacy.

tupac_don said:
Funny, well get ready for lifetime of irritation. B/c for the most part unless you are doing residency or some pharmacy research hook up with univer or something. Pretty much all your colleagues are about money and lifestyle. The faster you get used to that the better for you personally.

LOL, this is more correct than many would want to admit.

Of the pharmacists and students I know, many of them LIKE pharmacy but LOVE the money and lifestyle.

I can't criticize. I would not be making this career change at 30+ years old/with a family unless it was worth it financially.

All4MyDaughter said:
LOL, this is more correct than many would want to admit.

Of the pharmacists and students I know, many of them LIKE pharmacy but LOVE the money and lifestyle.

I can't criticize. I would not be making this career change at 30+ years old/with a family unless it was worth it financially.

You'll have to pardon all4mydaughter, her experience is based on a very small sample size, ~n=15. :laugh: :)

I'm just kidding, her statement is accurate. You know, it's not the intrinsic motivation which determines a quality pharmacist, it's the person as a gestalt, or whole.

You may have a deep passion for pharmacy, yet lack adequate professional skills - while someone whose primary concern was financial, manages to succeed professionally.

All in all, whether you wish to be a pharmacist to stare at the ceiling tiles, or to devote 15 hours a day to clinical research - as long as your job is accomplished professionally and all requirements are met, that person has succeeded. If someone embellishes their large paycheck a bit too much, relax ;). The only concern is their ability as a pharmacist.

I'll throw my 2 cents in as a practicing pharmacist w/ 29 years of experience & a husband who is a dentist. I have made good money, however...he makes 3 times what I make...BUT - it is not at all uncommon for us (since I'm married, his office debt is my debt..) to purchase BIG piece of equipment frequently (digital X-rays - $30,000 after he had purchased the first $20,000 x-ray equipment years ago). I've never had to purchase anything more than new books which I've felt I've needed to stay abreast. Overall...he has made more than me, but my retirement is so much greater than his...

Now....if you are only in it for the money...look into dental hygiene. He pays his dental hygiensts hourly what I make per hour and they only work the hours of dental offices (M-F 8-5), but you have to clean teeth all day! Altho I make more overall with benefits, I have had to work 17 Christmases, 16 Thanksgivings, endless 4-11PM shifts and too many call backs during the night than I can count. So...the money does not make up for the passion. If you don't really, really like pharmacy - you will HATE your job and make your colleagues miserable!

Well, sometimes some people aren't passionate about anything so I guess it would be hard for them to choose.

And yes, I suppose it is sad.

OK, Is it me or you guys are making Pharmacy sound like is a ticket to the lifestyle of the rich and famous. (or cribs or something)

I am sorry but 90-120K is very nice, but...not enough for champagne wishes, caviar dreams...etc

So to all the loosers that have a high GPA and go to pharmacy school just because they can...you are not being really smart.
I hope I never have to work with your boring @ss, because you will hear an earful from me.
People, this is not investment banking!

:barf:

usi said:
OK, Is it me or you guys are making Pharmacy sound like is a ticket to the lifestyle of the rich and famous. (or cribs or something)

I am sorry but 90-120K is very nice, but...not enough for champagne wishes, caviar dreams...etc

So to all the loosers that have a high GPA and go to pharmacy school just because they can...you are not being really smart.
I hope I never have to work with your boring @ss, because you will hear an earful from me.

EXACTLY! :thumbup:

The pay a pharmacist gets is nice, but if I was only in it for the money I would choose something else.

DownonthePharm said:
Most everyone I know wants to go to dental school.

Thats were the bank is....

What I hate more than people with good grades but no passion getting it is people with bad grades, no passion, but their parent is an alumni.

Yes, it happened to my husband. He has been waitlisted for dental school twice, both time bumped for a crop of alum-kids. Some of which have since repeated years.

It seems that some people on this forum are irritated that pharmacy school is competitive because a lot of people are in it for the money. But the truth is, no pharmacy school has ever denied admission to someone who's passionate about the career, worked hard in school (ie good grades), did outside activities, and are knowledgeable (ie PCAT scores). There may be people who love love love pharmacy and really want to get it, and they may or may not. Passion is one thing, but effort is another. So what if you love the career but has never worked to make yourself competitive? Don't be envying people because of their minority status, legacy, ect... If you are competing like that, you are at the bottom of the barrel anyways (sorry if this offends). If you want to get in pharmacy school, work for it.

usi said:

Pharmacy is one the few careers where an entry level position starts at or near $100,000.

Most people in "investment banking" or other business related careers will never achieve that level of salary. Entry level business jobs, even for people with MBA's (particularly from low-mid tier schools) start between $30 - 50,000. You have to work your way up to the high paying jobs.

In pharmacy, you can graduate, pass your boards and start day 1 making six-figures. Can you name a career other than pharmacy (or medicine) where this is the case, for the average graduate? Even in medicine you have to work 3+ years for a low salary as resident.

My husband has a business degree, works for a Fortune 500 company. He makes $45,000 and has been with the company for 10 years. He started out as a part-time employee making $8 an hour, so he has come a long way. Still, it will take years for him to (possibly) acheive the salary I will make my first year out of pharmacy school.

$100,000/year is a nice salary - enough to live a good lifestyle. You won't be filthy rich but it's enough for me to have a nice home, travel some, be able to do things for my kids, save for retirement and not have to worry too much about money. I'm not looking to be featured on "Cribs."

"Loosers" like me with high GPAs are attracted to pharmacy because it offers a great salary, flexible scheduling, job security, and lower stress (especially relative to other careers I've considered).

This is just my opinion. Just because I haven't been dreaming of pharmacy since I was a little girl, just because it isn't my all-consuming life's passion, just because I have good grades and am pragmatic about career choices - doesn't mean I am boring (LOL) or that I won't be a great pharmacist.

All4MyDaughter said:
Pharmacy is one the few careers where an entry level position starts at or near $100,000.

Most people in "investment banking" or other business related careers will never achieve that level of salary. Entry level business jobs, even for people with MBA's (particularly from low-mid tier schools) start between $30 - 50,000. You have to work your way up to the high paying jobs.

In pharmacy, you can graduate, pass your boards and start day 1 making six-figures. Can you name a career other than pharmacy (or medicine) where this is the case, for the average graduate? Even in medicine you have to work 3+ years for a low salary as resident.

My husband has a business degree, works for a Fortune 500 company. He makes $45,000 and has been with the company for 10 years. He started out as a part-time employee making $8 an hour, so he has come a long way. Still, it will take years for him to (possibly) acheive the salary I will make my first year out of pharmacy school.

$100,000/year is a nice salary - enough to live a good lifestyle. You won't be filthy rich but it's enough for me to have a nice home, travel some, be able to do things for my kids, save for retirement and not have to worry too much about money. I'm not looking to be featured on "Cribs."

"Loosers" like me with high GPAs are attracted to pharmacy because it offers a great salary, flexible scheduling, job security, and lower stress (especially relative to other careers I've considered).

This is just my opinion. Just because I haven't been dreaming of pharmacy since I was a little girl, just because it isn't my all-consuming life's passion, just because I have good grades and am pragmatic about career choices - doesn't mean I am boring (LOL) or that I won't be a great pharmacist.
OK, Investment banking may be was a bad example. I was thinking of those business degree types that graduate IVY league and go to work at Wall Street (not Walgreens) with expensive suits, etc. I don't know enough about this... I am just guessing.
I haven't been dreaming about being a pharmacist since I was a child neither.
What I meant to say is...
PHARMACY IS NOT THE WAY TO GO IF YOU WANT TO MAKE MONEY, ONLY...
So let me qualify the loosers one more time:
You are a looser if you go to pharmacy school ONLY because:
A) you can get in (that is the GPA part)
B) you are in it for the money

You cited many more reasons why YOU are choosing pharmacy, that exempts you from qualifying as a looser.
Therefore, I would not mind working side by side with you, that is if you can read my dumb rule above and realize... I am not talking about you!
BTW Chemists in industry and Chemical Engineers with graduate degrees make that or very close to 6 figures starting out...and do not have student loans.

No doubt that all4mydaughter is both honest and correct.

Chill out people.

I can say without a doubt that engineers with graduate degrees in engineering do not make six figures upon graduating (with an MS)... the ones that do make that much have SEVERAL years (like 20+) of experience. And even this is a rarity, as most come close to six figures but not quite.

I am surprised that engineers don't make that much....they must hit a ceiling in terms of salary.

What are people's motivations on why people go into pharmacy? Who knows? People have worked hard to get where they at, and I commend them. My only concerns are licensed pharmacists who don't do their job....pharmacist not filling orders or answering phone calls, but instead, spend their time surfing the internet....others hiding in their offices for unknown reasons rather working on their floor.....These are some of the complaints I've heard from actual pharmacists. But, I am sure these observations are rare as well. In the long run, we will all be working together...so who cares whether people's motivation to be a pharmacist is only money? Just as long we are doing a good job and enjoy it, I'll be happy.

I hope I make some sense...

I just wanna add one more thing to this thread that I originated. Have any of you who have worked in a pharmacy observed the difference between a pharmacist who REALLY loves their occupation... verses someone who dislikes the field? If so, then you know what I mean when I give this scenario.
I have worked with numerous pharmacists. Those who take the initiative to go out of their way to help patients with over the counter meds, counseling on drug therapy, and drug interactions. I have also witnessed pharmacists who get annoyed when they have to counsel patients, and wish that they never got into the pharmacy industry.
And it really is a shame...and its not fair for those individuals who really, truly, want to be of assistance to others.
Regardless, as many of you have said...thats Life...And although I will try to make the best out of MY EDUCATION and help others to the best of my ability...there will always be "a colleage" or "a classmate" who gives the pharmacy profession a bad name.

there will always be "a colleage" or "a classmate" who gives the pharmacy profession a bad name.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this.

My husband has no college degree and makes 100K per year. But, he got into computers back in 1982. There weren't too many programmers then and he was hired straight out of high school. It took him almost 20 years to get up to that salary range. He started in '82 at only 12K per year.

We live pretty comfortably off of his salary alone, but we are by no means rich. My extra 100K will come in handy, though.

starsweet said:
I can say without a doubt that engineers with graduate degrees in engineering do not make six figures upon graduating (with an MS)... the ones that do make that much have SEVERAL years (like 20+) of experience. And even this is a rarity, as most come close to six figures but not quite.

I don't think so either. My stepsister and her hubby are both engineers (he is computer and she is chemical). Neither of them make six figures (individually). They have been out of school about 10 years and are each around $75,000. Both have Masters degrees.

Fill your Rx 26 said:
I just wanna add one more thing to this thread that I originated. Have any of you who have worked in a pharmacy observed the difference between a pharmacist who REALLY loves their occupation... verses someone who dislikes the field? If so, then you know what I mean when I give this scenario.
I have worked with numerous pharmacists. Those who take the initiative to go out of their way to help patients with over the counter meds, counseling on drug therapy, and drug interactions. I have also witnessed pharmacists who get annoyed when they have to counsel patients, and wish that they never got into the pharmacy industry.
And it really is a shame...and its not fair for those individuals who really, truly, want to be of assistance to others.
Regardless, as many of you have said...thats Life...And although I will try to make the best out of MY EDUCATION and help others to the best of my ability...there will always be "a colleage" or "a classmate" who gives the pharmacy profession a bad name.

This is not unique to pharmacy. There are both great and crappy people in any profession.

All4MyDaughter said:
I don't think so either. My stepsister and her hubby are both engineers (he is computer and she is chemical). Neither of them make six figures (individually). They have been out of school about 10 years and are each around $75,000. Both have Masters degrees.

With my first job as an engineer I started at $50,000, which is not bad after you've gone to school for (only) 4-5 years. However I got really discouraged when I saw my dad, who's a civil engineer with an MS and a professional engineer license, still making about $79,000 after 30+ years. Of course, in order to make higher salaries as an engineer you have to deal with office politics which my dad doesn't handle well. This is another thing that sucks about the corporate world (and one of the reasons I'm leaving it). ;)

usi said:
You are a looser if you go to pharmacy school ONLY because:
A) you can get in (that is the GPA part)
B) you are in it for the money

Would it make somebody a loser no matter what profession they chose to go into if they met those two requirements? Or is pharmacy somehow the only profession that your rules apply?

I don't understand what the whole argument is all about.

The thing is, I don't think pharmacy is all that lucrative in terms of the monetary and time investment and even in terms of lifestyle. You are better off playing poker/black jack professionally if you are really looking forward to a great lifestyle and a nice pay (I'm damned serious. Even my PI agrees.)

Those that go into pharmacy for money, let them be. It's their decision. Why make your own life miserable because of that?

As someone that cares about healthcare, I can care less if those so called "money chaser" are capable co-workers. I'm not saying that those with passion and lesser grades are not capable (I'm prob in this category, my grades aren't something one writes home about), it's just that it is a professional occupation, just be a professional.

Using baseball as an example, I don't think David Justice's apathy for baseball and just playing for the money makes him a lesser player. If I play along side of Barry Bonds, I can care less if he makes 18 million dollars or is a jerk, so as long as he hits. Someone like Drew Hanson made the wrong decision and went to baseball for the money instead of football and is now kicking himself for it.

The aspect of this whole argument that you all are missing is the responsibility to your profession.

As long as those who go into the professon of pharmacy fulfill their obligations to the profession then I don't really care about their motivations.

I however do believe that many who go into it b/c its a "good job" will not and that's where I have a problem.

ultracet said:
The aspect of this whole argument that you all are missing is the responsibility to your profession.

As long as those who go into the professon of pharmacy fulfill their obligations to the profession then I don't really care about their motivations.

I however do believe that many who go into it b/c its a "good job" will not and that's where I have a problem.

Thank you. That summed up my thought nicely.

imperial frog said:
Would it make somebody a loser no matter what profession they chose to go into if they met those two requirements? Or is pharmacy somehow the only profession that your rules apply?

Forget what I said and listen to what eddavatar has to say...
I agree with that. :thumbup:

Wow, I guess you can call him fortunate, but my dad is an industrial engineer and only has a BS. I dont know how much he started out making, but he has been with the same fortune 500 company for 17 years,( I was in the 5th grade when he started) By the time I was in the 9th grade he was in the high 80's(I was old enough then to care/notice). He has been making over 100K, with stock bonuses for a while. Did I mention he only has a BS, but maybe he is the exception and not the rule.